The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 15, 2019, 05:08:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2019, 05:08:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The language you use  (Read 7389 times)
dartxni
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 28, 2010, 09:47:31 pm
United States United States

Religion: Searching

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 29, 2008, 06:57:56 am »

Hello, I'm back after a long long time (3 months or so) with a question about language.

Do you find it important or useful to speak to your gods in the language of their original culture? For instance, sing a hymn to Bridget in Gaelic, or Hestia in Greek?

If you have learned a language that is related to gods you believe in do you feel you have benefited spiritually from it?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: July 29, 2008, 07:39:09 am »

Do you find it important or useful to speak to your gods in the language of their original culture? For instance, sing a hymn to Bridget in Gaelic, or Hestia in Greek?

I will use a word of Greek here or there (which is about all the Greek I know, as far as actual words as opposed to etymological roots go), but overall I don't think it's important to become fluent in the language in order to speak to the Gods.  I think they can understand me in English perfectly well, and I've never felt any particular "push" to learn ancient Greek--if they're content with English, so am I.  Smiley

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: July 29, 2008, 10:01:15 am »

I suck at foreign languages so if the gods want me, they would have to put up with me speaking English.  And to tell the truth, I don't think it really matters which language you address the gods in because they probably understand all languages.

Besides, if I were to become fluent in another language it would probably be something more practical like Spanish.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 29, 2008, 11:21:46 am »

Do you find it important or useful to speak to your gods in the language of their original culture?

I think it adds something to it.  I don't think it's a requirement, but it would certainly help in terms of incorportating yourself into the customs of a specific region.  Also, I think the time it takes to learn the languages, hymns, etc, would honor the deites that much more.  So, in a nutshell, I find it important and useful for devotional practices, but not necessarily for conversational purposes.  I think communication with the Divine encompasses more than mere words.

*Síocháin*
Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 29, 2008, 11:23:25 am »

Besides, if I were to become fluent in another language it would probably be something more practical like Spanish.

Globally speaking, french would be more practical.

*Síocháin*
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #5: July 29, 2008, 11:32:52 am »

I think that God is not too worried about what language I speak.  That being said, I think that being familiar with Hebrew is definitely an advantage in understanding Jewish culture and tradition.  It is also important to thoroughly understanding Torah, which is one the primary underpinnings of Jewish faith. 

Sperran
anen
Last Login:August 04, 2008, 08:49:32 am

Religion: native american spirituality/Christian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 29, 2008, 01:50:23 pm »

For me I don['t think it is necessary to learn the language in order to practice my Native American spirituality.  However I did learn to say "Is there any coffee" real fast.  Sorry I'm abit "flaky" today--Blessings Anen
Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 29, 2008, 08:56:08 pm »

However I did learn to say "Is there any coffee" real fast. 

How do you say it?  What tribal lang. is it? Tongue

*Síocháin*
Wintermoon
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 15, 2011, 09:43:26 pm

Religion: spiritual atheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 29, 2008, 10:30:31 pm »

If you have learned a language that is related to gods you believe in do you feel you have benefited spiritually from it?

I'd never thought of it before, especially because my path is still evolving, but I think learning a few words or a prayer in a different language might feel more intimate than your ordinary way of speaking. Just as I might use poetry or elaborate prose to set the tone, another language might be effective too. Hmm, something for the back of my mind...

~Vivian

You can't take the sky from me.

"I get really distracted by works of fiction. Probably because you don't have to make any decisions." ~my sister

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." ~Mark Twain
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 30, 2008, 02:38:08 am »

Hello, I'm back after a long long time (3 months or so) with a question about language.

I really don't think you would have to use words at all, actually.  I don't think they hear our words so much as our emotions and intent.  Which would be why we don't just stand up, look at the sky and say what we want to say.  We pray, we do rituals, etc, to build up that emotional energy that the gods read/hear.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: July 30, 2008, 08:02:40 am »

Which would be why we don't just stand up, look at the sky and say what we want to say. 

Don't we?  I do--I'll say a quick "good morning" or "thanks" or even occasionally "hey, that wasn't funny".  I have sometimes just sat down and started talking sometimes.  I think that words are very useful things, but I don't think they have to always be formalized and ritualized.  When they are that way, then yes, they serve very well to build up the sort of energy you're talking about.  Even without that, though, they can still be pretty effective ways to organize whatever thoughts (emotional or otherwise) we have that we want to communicate.  I think that's as true of talking to the Gods as it is of talking to people.

That said, I'm also not of the opinion that what language you're speaking necessarily matters, and I do think that sometimes a "prayer" can be just that burst of wordless emotion released to Whoever you're talking to.  So I'm a little fuzzy on what the boundaries are here and where they lie.  Wink

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 30, 2008, 08:32:08 am »

I really don't think you would have to use words at all, actually.  I don't think they hear our words so much as our emotions and intent.  Which would be why we don't just stand up, look at the sky and say what we want to say.  We pray, we do rituals, etc, to build up that emotional energy that the gods read/hear.

I have, on several occasions.  Between greetings and letting loose the joy I'm feeling at that moment.  I don't see why this isn't as good as 'rituals' and all the bells and whistles that go with that. 

As for learning the language, considering how bad I am at learning languages, no I don't worry about it.  Though considering how I tend to mangle words, it would either give them a good laugh or they would be "What in the world?Huh"
Alastriona
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 10, 2010, 10:40:53 pm

Religion: Pagan... currently following the Druid path with Wiccan influences

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 30, 2008, 11:29:24 am »

Honestly, I think Gods are universal.  They understand any language regardless of how fluent you speak it.  Smiley

There are several languages I would like to learn, but only because I find them beautiful.  I will probably continue speaking to my Gods in my plain English!
Psimon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 04:10:11 pm

Religion: ADF (very new dedicant)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 30, 2008, 06:04:10 pm »

If I were to learn languages because of their connections to the gods I honor, I would have quite the list of languages to learn. That is, no, I don't find it overwhelmingly important to use the language of their culture of origin. I'm pretty sure they get it no matter what language I'm speaking.

It is an idea I think I'll look into, though -- not so much with the learning a language, but I would like to learn some prayers in the language original to the gods they honor.
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 31, 2008, 01:20:06 am »

Don't we?  I do--I'll say a quick "good morning" or "thanks" or even occasionally "hey, that wasn't funny".  I have sometimes just sat down and started talking sometimes.  I think that words are very useful things, but I don't think they have to always be formalized and ritualized.  When they are that way, then yes, they serve very well to build up the sort of energy you're talking about.  Even without that, though, they can still be pretty effective ways to organize whatever thoughts (emotional or otherwise) we have that we want to communicate.  I think that's as true of talking to the Gods as it is of talking to people.

That said, I'm also not of the opinion that what language you're speaking necessarily matters, and I do think that sometimes a "prayer" can be just that burst of wordless emotion released to Whoever you're talking to.  So I'm a little fuzzy on what the boundaries are here and where they lie.  Wink

You know, I got to thinking about this a little more after I laid down last night.  I don't think emotion was what I was after to describe what I was talking about.  I don't know a word of most languages, including German (well, actually I know a couple, but they aren't usable in polite company).  Yet, I met a girl in High School (foregn exchange student) who was from Germany, and I could actually get an idea of what she was trying to say even though the words were completely, well, foreign to me. 

I have had this same experience with other people and other languages as well.  I can't chalk it up to some sort of empathy, because it wasn't just the emotion I was reading, it was more like the intent of what the person was trying to say.  It was something deeper than emotion, but not quite as clear as language.

It's the hidden thing that is somewhere between knowing someone hates you (empathy?), them saying they are going to kill you (language), and yet, you know that they aren't going to (intent, or in this case, lack thereof).  I think in trying to clarify, I just confused the whole point even more.

I think that use of language helps us to clarify our intent within us, but I don't think that the language itself actually serves the gods any.  It sort of helps us to focus our own intent, sort of like what you were saying about the organization of thoughts.  I mean if you are scattered about what you want to impart to them, they may not know which idea to go with.  By saying these thoughts, voicing them, we set a priority on those things we want the deities to focus on.

Does this make any sense at all?  I'm not even sure I really understand what it is I'm trying to say.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 01:26:13 am by wisdomsbane » Logged

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)