The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 23, 2019, 09:46:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2019, 09:46:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Omniscience of deities?  (Read 11125 times)
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 29, 2008, 09:11:05 pm »

This is a question mostly for 'hard' and variously medium-cooked polytheists  Wink , though of course all viewpoints are welcome.

I know generally deities are understood to be NOT omnipotent, but do you consider them to be omniscient, and if not, why?  To what degree are they aware of most things, etc?

Additionally, do you believe Jehovah/Yahweh is truly omnipotent/omniscient?  And perhaps any other deities that are considered to be so? (altho I'm not aware of any that are, there may be)  Why or why not?

Just something I've been musing over in recent months.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 17, 2019, 11:13:29 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: July 29, 2008, 09:15:06 pm »

I know generally deities are understood to be NOT omnipotent, but do you consider them to be omniscient, and if not, why?  To what degree are they aware of most things, etc?

No, but some are closer to omniscient than any are to omnipotent.

Additionally, do you believe Jehovah/Yahweh is truly omnipotent/omniscient?

No, I don't really see any evidence than any deity is truly omnipotent, omniscient, or probably onmi-/all- anything. Reality does not act like it would have to even even one active omni-being was around.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: July 29, 2008, 09:20:29 pm »

I don't think they're omniscient but I do think they have a higher understanding than we do.  In various mythologies, gods seem to have their own agendas that are kept hidden from each other.  This doesn't seem to imply omniscience to me.

Additionally, do you believe Jehovah/Yahweh is truly omnipotent/omniscient?  And perhaps any other deities that are considered to be so? (altho I'm not aware of any that are, there may be)  Why or why not?

If other gods aren't omnipotent/omniscient, then why would Jehovah/Yahweh be an exception Wink

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #3: July 29, 2008, 09:43:08 pm »

I'm not sure.  I think that God is so much closer to it than me, that He/She/It might as well be even if God isn't truly omni-everything.  Sort of like the universe might have an end somewhere, but the vastness is so beyond my comprehension that from my perspective it might as well be endless.

Sperran
Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 29, 2008, 11:00:46 pm »

No, I don't really see any evidence than any deity is truly omnipotent, omniscient, or probably onmi-/all- anything. Reality does not act like it would have to even even one active omni-being was around.

How do you think reality would be different if there was an omni-something entity?
Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 29, 2008, 11:02:34 pm »

I don't think they're omniscient but I do think they have a higher understanding than we do.  In various mythologies, gods seem to have their own agendas that are kept hidden from each other.  This doesn't seem to imply omniscience to me.

Would you say they are omniscient as far as humanity is concerned though?  (I don't know if there is a word or anything for such a concept?)
Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 29, 2008, 11:06:56 pm »

I'm not sure.  I think that God is so much closer to it than me, that He/She/It might as well be even if God isn't truly omni-everything.  Sort of like the universe might have an end somewhere, but the vastness is so beyond my comprehension that from my perspective it might as well be endless.

Sperran

That makes sense.  Such a thing is incomprehensible to us so whatever degree they/he/she/it are aware of things is also something we are incapable of understanding ...

if that makes any sense.  I've been up most of the day and am not sure of my own comprehensiveness. Or something. lol Wink
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: July 29, 2008, 11:23:07 pm »

Would you say they are omniscient as far as humanity is concerned though?  (I don't know if there is a word or anything for such a concept?)

To a human, they may SEEM omniscient given they're greater understanding of the universe.  However, to each other their level of omniscience is probably the same as what you and I see in each other.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 30, 2008, 02:33:43 am »

This is a question mostly for 'hard' and variously medium-cooked polytheists  Wink , though of course all viewpoints are welcome.

Well, as a few have pointed out, yes as far as comparing to ourselves they may as well be.  However, I think, too, that they are each completely aware regarding their spheres of influence.  They may not respond to it all the time, but they do know what is going on with whatever they control.  Sort of like the admins in here.  We may not know that they know, but they know.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
ehbowen
Master Member
Last Login:September 15, 2019, 01:51:40 am

Religion: Southern Baptist

The Loco Engineer

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 30, 2008, 03:03:56 am »

Nota bene: Everything you will see in this post is speculation and/or UPG. If you want Orthodox Christian Doctrine, there are plenty of other sources to choose from. With that said...

I believe that the differing levels of divine knowledge are due primarily to two factors: The entity's position in relation to the time stream and the barriers erected by other individuals.

We live right down in the time stream. We have awareness of right now, knowledge of the past, and expectations for the future. I think that angels, for example, have a higher perspective. They can "see" events taking form in the future, including the alternate possibilities, and have some limited ability to "steer" them in the direction they desire. The farther "up" a being is, the more knowledge they have.

I think that there are also barriers to knowledge; some spiritual, some physical. As an example, we can't see what's on the other side of a wall until someone opens the door. I think that there may be analogues to this in the spiritual realm. It could be that a large portion of the spiritual world was truly unaware of what was happening in Hitler's Germany ca. 1944 until those barriers were breached by the Normandy invasion and subsequent Allied advances. The details of events currently going on in, for example, North Korea might be similarly sketchy.

There are also the barriers we erect within ourselves. Speaking personally, there were certain thoughts and ideas I had that I used to be ashamed to share with God. But about twelve years ago I had an epiphany in which I realized how truly and how deeply God loved me. Since that time, there has been no thought or action that I have ever felt was too base or too personal to share with my God.

So, to answer Lusiphelia's question as to whether Jehovah is truly omniscient/omnipotent: I am convinced that the answer is both yes and no. "No" in the short run; "Yes" in the long run. I know that sounds contradictory, but it's actually the best of both worlds. You could play a game of poker with him and know he wouldn't cheat, yet at the same time you can trust him utterly to shape the future direction of your life.

Ultimately, in the long run, I believe Jehovah God is looking back at the stream of events from a perspective which is far, far in the future, and he is completely satisfied with the final outcome. Not with every twist and turn along the way, mind you, but with the ultimate resolution. I also believe that, from that perspective, every individual has come to trust him enough to drop their internal barriers, and he sees that they are content as well.

Finally, please note that I'm not trying to be orthodox here. Orthodox position involves hellfire and damnation, forever and ever, The End. I think that we're in the process of writing The Sequel, in which the fire gets well and truly put out. As to why we don't see more direct evidence of this omni-omni-omni God in the here and now, well, I think it ties in to Napoleon's famous quotation: "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." God sees that leaving events just as they are leads right to the conclusion that he wants to see. So, until the trap is sprung, expect this world to continue pretty much the way we've gotten used to. Eventually, we will reach the point where things can change. Radically, I expect.

--------Eric H. Bowen

Where's the KABOOM!? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Resistance is futile. We will be assimilated.—treekisser
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 30, 2008, 03:09:08 am »

Nota bene: Everything you will see in this post is speculation and/or UPG. If you want Orthodox Christian Doctrine, there are plenty of other sources to choose from. With that said...

I believe that the differing levels of divine knowledge are due primarily to two factors: The entity's position in relation to the time stream and the barriers erected by other individuals.

We live right down in the time stream. We have awareness of right now, knowledge of the past, and expectations for the future. I think that angels, for example, have a higher perspective. They can "see" events taking form in the future, including the alternate possibilities, and have some limited ability to "steer" them in the direction they desire. The farther "up" a being is, the more knowledge they have.

I think that there are also barriers to knowledge; some spiritual, some physical. As an example, we can't see what's on the other side of a wall until someone opens the door. I think that there may be analogues to this in the spiritual realm. It could be that a large portion of the spiritual world was truly unaware of what was happening in Hitler's Germany ca. 1944 until those barriers were breached by the Normandy invasion and subsequent Allied advances. The details of events currently going on in, for example, North Korea might be similarly sketchy.

There are also the barriers we erect within ourselves. Speaking personally, there were certain thoughts and ideas I had that I used to be ashamed to share with God. But about twelve years ago I had an epiphany in which I realized how truly and how deeply God loved me. Since that time, there has been no thought or action that I have ever felt was too base or too personal to share with my God.

So, to answer Lusiphelia's question as to whether Jehovah is truly omniscient/omnipotent: I am convinced that the answer is both yes and no. "No" in the short run; "Yes" in the long run. I know that sounds contradictory, but it's actually the best of both worlds. You could play a game of poker with him and know he wouldn't cheat, yet at the same time you can trust him utterly to shape the future direction of your life.

Ultimately, in the long run, I believe Jehovah God is looking back at the stream of events from a perspective which is far, far in the future, and he is completely satisfied with the final outcome. Not with every twist and turn along the way, mind you, but with the ultimate resolution. I also believe that, from that perspective, every individual has come to trust him enough to drop their internal barriers, and he sees that they are content as well.

Finally, please note that I'm not trying to be orthodox here. Orthodox position involves hellfire and damnation, forever and ever, The End. I think that we're in the process of writing The Sequel, in which the fire gets well and truly put out. As to why we don't see more direct evidence of this omni-omni-omni God in the here and now, well, I think it ties in to Napoleon's famous quotation: "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." God sees that leaving events just as they are leads right to the conclusion that he wants to see. So, until the trap is sprung, expect this world to continue pretty much the way we've gotten used to. Eventually, we will reach the point where things can change. Radically, I expect.

Wow.  That sounds almost heretical.  My preachers would have had you kicked out or at least publically humiliated.

But then again, me and my preachers never really saw eye to eye (esp. the one that was SB).  So, I applaud you on coming to your unique perspective of the situation.  And I think it makes complete sense, given the deity in question.  Kudos.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: July 30, 2008, 08:29:08 am »

How do you think reality would be different if there was an omni-something entity?

The classic example of how reality would be different with omni-entities is the "Problem of Evil" from Christianity: If a deity is all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving, all-good, inerrant, perfect, etc., why is there evil in reality? One can try to excuse its existence, but no one has been able to do so yet in a way that is solidly and broadly convincing.  But even one "omni" would affect reality. For example, omniscience is really incapable incompatible with quantum mechanics.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 09:29:23 am by RandallS, Reason: Randallism Corrected. Thanks Star! » Logged

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #12: July 30, 2008, 08:39:11 am »

For example, omniscience is really incapable with quantum mechanics.

(Bold mine.)  Randallism alert--I think you mean "incompatible"?

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: July 30, 2008, 09:29:53 am »

(Bold mine.)  Randallism alert--I think you mean "incompatible"?

Corrected. Thanks for catching that!

Randall
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: July 30, 2008, 01:16:46 pm »

Finally, please note that I'm not trying to be orthodox here.

I'm not sure you had to tell us that. Wink

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)