The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 05, 2021, 07:34:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 05, 2021, 07:34:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Knoxville UU Church Shooting :(  (Read 6449 times)
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm
United States United States

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: August 02, 2008, 02:47:01 am »

The Wikipedia article isn't too bad. At least the first few paragraphs aren't. I did not read the entire thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics

From what I read (I will go back and read the whole thing later), but it seems to me as though it is something I would absolutely be against.  I just get bad mental images of certain types of scifi films, which portray the selective breeding and genetic tampering aspects of it.

If they could find a way to use it that would be able to get rid of the "evils" in our society (by this I mean any sort of genetic push towards violence, etc.), and certain genetic defects (by this I mean diseases, mental disorders, things that harm the person who displays the "faulty gene";  I do not mean getting rid of races, or messing with making superhumans and the like), then I would be all for it.  But given what they are finding in the lines of how genes work I doubt they would ever be able to do anything like that without crossing various moral boundaries (at least things I consider morally unacceptable).

Also, it would be all too easy to want to try to create the perfect human, only for the shit to hit the fan.  (Again, certain types of scifi movie come to mind.)

But anyway in reference to me being for this... no.  There's just no way they would be able to do the good, without opening the door for the bad. 

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 02, 2008, 02:48:39 am »

In favour of eugenics? Smiley

Psst, I was joking about the gene thing.  What little I do know of genetics, lends to that not even being realistic.  Just basically wishful thinking on my part.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 02, 2008, 08:58:14 am »

If they could find a way to use it that would be able to get rid of the "evils" in our society (by this I mean any sort of genetic push towards violence, etc.), and certain genetic defects (by this I mean diseases, mental disorders, things that harm the person who displays the "faulty gene";  I do not mean getting rid of races, or messing with making superhumans and the like), then I would be all for it.

The only way I could really support something like this is if it was used solely to treat disease-based genes (Autism, perhaps a predisposition to cancer, etc...).  Honestly, getting rid of an individual's genetic push toward violence sounds dangerously evil in and of itself.  Violent behavior may not be socially acceptable, but inclinations toward violence are part of the human animal, and breeding these inclinations out would just create a willing race of either slaves or sheep (depending on how heavily reinforced the genetic urge to obey was).

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: August 02, 2008, 09:24:46 am »

The following statement happens to be my blonde roots showing:  What in the world is eugenics?

I'm guessing from context that it has something to do with genetic "pruning" or something along those lines.

That's more or less it - pretty much trying to breed out a better (species of choice).  It's kinda ironic that you mention 'blonde roots,' given the last lot that really wanted to put eugenics into practice.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: August 03, 2008, 01:36:13 am »

The only way I could really support something like this is if it was used solely to treat disease-based genes (Autism, perhaps a predisposition to cancer, etc...).  Honestly, getting rid of an individual's genetic push toward violence sounds dangerously evil in and of itself.  Violent behavior may not be socially acceptable, but inclinations toward violence are part of the human animal, and breeding these inclinations out would just create a willing race of either slaves or sheep (depending on how heavily reinforced the genetic urge to obey was).

That's a good point.  Besides that though I read somewhere something that would keep us from being able to weed any one thing out just by doing away with a few genes.  Here goes and remember that this is completely IIRC.

Basically there are two factors to this. 

Each gene has partial control over several "functions", often these are unrelated.  A gene could have partial control over whether you were blonde, and whether you were predisposed for cancer, for example (not an actual case, just an example of a possible combination). 

The second part of this is that it takes several genes to actually make up these functions.  So, the gene I mentioned above would have to combine with several other genes in order to make you blonde.  And then with even more to make you predisposed toward cancer.

Whoever explained it to me, did a much better job of it than I just did.  But I think (or rather hope), that I got the basic point across.  So if we did manage to erase certain "bad" things.  We might actually erase some good things along with them.  And if it takes a very specific set of genes to do certain things, then erasing even one of those to get rid of the bad things associated with it, could completely erase that whole genetic trait entirely.

They have a long ways to go before they should really be doing any more than studying the structures.  And I hope they actually finish figuring things out long before they start trying to "play god".

My Writings So Far
redbeansidhe
Last Login:August 07, 2008, 03:28:18 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: August 07, 2008, 02:02:03 pm »

My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families.  This is a tragedy. Cry
Here is the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25882063/
I heard about this. Really hard to believe that someone would be able to do that. In a church too! Blessings to their congregation.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)