The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 27, 2023, 02:24:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 27, 2023, 02:24:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dream Interpretation  (Read 10004 times)
catcool
Apprentice
Last Login:September 04, 2008, 05:18:21 pm
New Zealand New Zealand

Religion: Christian but open to others

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 31, 2008, 08:58:48 pm »

I was wondering if anyone is knowledgeable in dream interpretation.

I have been dreaming quite regularly about my hands and although many of the online dream dictionary's have hands listed for interpretation they don't have anything about glowing hands!

In the dream my hands are slightly cupped together and are lit up with a bright glow, its not like a green fluorescent glow, more like a yellowish glow like you get from the moon.

I'm sure its significant in some way as its a recurring dream.

Opinions please?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: July 31, 2008, 09:02:13 pm »

In the dream my hands are slightly cupped together and are lit up with a bright glow, its not like a green fluorescent glow, more like a yellowish glow like you get from the moon.

What do those suggest to you? Dreams symbols usually have some meaning to the person dreaming them.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 31, 2008, 09:11:49 pm »

Opinions please?

I'll agree with Randall that you should look for significance in your own experience first, but does anything else happen in the dream, or is it simply that your hands are cupped and glowing?

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
catcool
Apprentice
New Zealand New Zealand

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 31, 2008, 09:16:22 pm »

What do those suggest to you? Dreams symbols usually have some meaning to the person dreaming them.

Thats the thing, there is nothing else in the dream apart from my hands just seemingly sitting in midair and glowing.

hobbitatheart
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 24, 2008, 12:58:08 pm

Religion: random Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 31, 2008, 09:19:04 pm »

You beat me to it, because that's pretty much what I was going to say. I'm not a big fan of outsider dream analysis. It never made much sense to me to look in a book written by someone else for an interpretation to a dream created by your own mind.

As for the dream itself. . . you've described the hands as having a moon-type glow. Since you focused on explaining just what type of glow it was, and made an association to the moon, I'd start with that. Just think about that association, what it means to you, the types of feelings it gives you, etc. If you're into meditation it's probably something worth spending a session on. Your mind created the dream, and it has the tools necessary to interpret it.

"As long as there's cake, there's hope. And there's always cake." - Dean Koontz, Life Expectancy
catcool
Apprentice
New Zealand New Zealand

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 31, 2008, 09:55:55 pm »

You beat me to it, because that's pretty much what I was going to say. I'm not a big fan of outsider dream analysis. It never made much sense to me to look in a book written by someone else for an interpretation to a dream created by your own mind.

As for the dream itself. . . you've described the hands as having a moon-type glow. Since you focused on explaining just what type of glow it was, and made an association to the moon, I'd start with that. Just think about that association, what it means to you, the types of feelings it gives you, etc. If you're into meditation it's probably something worth spending a session on. Your mind created the dream, and it has the tools necessary to interpret it.

Thank you for that, I hadn't realised that i had done that, I will certainly start looking at it from that direction Smiley
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 02, 2008, 06:25:08 pm »

I agree with everyone else in that you need to look into what is going on in your life right now. Since it is a re-occurring dream my suggestion would be to immediately ask yourself upon waking what it means. You should get a very good answer that way.

As a generalization (but by no means absolute for everyone) hands often symbolize an ability or desire to do something that you know you are capable of doing or hope to do. Since your dream does not seem to be a nightmare, it sounds like maybe you have been contemplating doing something good or beautiful. For example, if you are an artist, it could symbolize that you may be recognizing your talent or what you can do with your talent. Or it could symbolize that you could be contemplating something good you have done or hope to do like helping others.

I don't know if any of that helps, but that my answer.

wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 03, 2008, 02:11:07 am »

I was wondering if anyone is knowledgeable in dream interpretation.

I have been dreaming quite regularly about my hands and although many of the online dream dictionary's have hands listed for interpretation they don't have anything about glowing hands!

Opinions please?
I'm going to have to agree with everyone else.  Your won interpretation is usually the best.  As for books and online resources, I used to try using them, but ninety ppercent of the time I just got more confused.  They are incomplete as they do not know what a symbol means to the individual.  They are based more on "universal" symbolism, which simply does not exist.

To give an example, unrelated to dreams, think of the usual elemental correspondences in the Tarot (if you don't know what I'm talking about they are pretty easy to find, I don't know if there is anything on this site about them, but it's a good place to start).  Most resources give the same/similar correspondences, yet the only one I can agree with is Cups=water.  For me, Swords=fire, pentacles=air, and wands=earth.  I can't remember the ones I read about, as I haven't used them in so long.  (I do remember that at least one source gives swords=air.)  My explanation for this method is better left to another topic.

The point of that though is people view different symbols in different ways.  We are each individuals, and while some may see any given symbol the same way, odds are you likely will never find any two people who view each and every symbol exactly the same.

Basically, go with your gut on this, don't worry about books.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: August 03, 2008, 08:24:15 am »

My cynical guide to dream interpretation:

1) Decide what you really want your dream to mean.

2) Make tenuous connections between what you want, and anything that happened in your dream, or was in a funny commercial you saw on the tv.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #9: August 03, 2008, 08:54:57 am »

My cynical guide to dream interpretation:

1) Decide what you really want your dream to mean.

2) Make tenuous connections between what you want, and anything that happened in your dream, or was in a funny commercial you saw on the tv.

You could do that, or you could remember that a lot of dreams are just the random firing of neurons.  The latter is much less complicated.  Smiley

Sperran
hobbitatheart
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 24, 2008, 12:58:08 pm

Religion: random Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 03, 2008, 08:56:28 am »

Most resources give the same/similar correspondences, yet the only one I can agree with is Cups=water.  For me, Swords=fire, pentacles=air, and wands=earth.  I can't remember the ones I read about, as I haven't used them in so long.  (I do remember that at least one source gives swords=air.)  My explanation for this method is better left to another topic.

It probably does belong in another topic (it sounds like it would be an interesting one) but I do want to say that I think your interpretation of the elements in the Tarot is interesting. The way I broke it down it my head was swords are tempered in fire, and wands are often made of wood or crystals from the earth. Makes perfect sense to me.

"As long as there's cake, there's hope. And there's always cake." - Dean Koontz, Life Expectancy
Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 03, 2008, 10:38:00 am »

Well, I'm going to ignore everyone else, so here is my opinion of your dream.

Your hands could symbolize what you are working on, what you need to do, something you need to give, or something that is "in your hands" (pardon the pun).  Whatever it is, you are in control of the outcome.  The yellowish gold color could relate to matters of intellect, and the cupping formation can relate to emotional matters, so it would be an intellectual project which holds much meaning to you.

Reoccuring dreams are important because usually the dreamer is not getting the message.  A common theme would indicate deeper levels in the dreams/waking life connection.

I hope this makes sense to you and in the words of Lamar Burton, "You don't have to take my word for it."  Think about the dream and your current situation, make the connections and there you will have your answer. 

*Síocháin*
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: August 03, 2008, 12:29:16 pm »

You could do that, or you could remember that a lot of dreams are just the random firing of neurons.  The latter is much less complicated.  Smiley

Sperran

Yes, but noone seems to listen when I offer that kind of explanation.  Wink

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 03, 2008, 12:52:54 pm »

Yes, but noone seems to listen when I offer that kind of explanation.  Wink

Thats because things aren't the same for everyone. If you get nothing from your dreams so be it, that is normal for you. However, others might have different experiences with theirs. I know people who say they never dream at all and people who say dreams have given them inspiration and insight.  I just don't think it is wise to throw out a one-size-fits-all  "dreams are nonsense just forget about it" answer. 
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: August 03, 2008, 12:53:56 pm »

Thats because things aren't the same for everyone. If you get nothing from your dreams so be it, that is normal for you. However, others might have different experiences with theirs. I know people who say they never dream at all and people who say dreams have given them inspiration and insight.  I just don't think it is wise to throw out a one-size-fits-all  "dreams are nonsense just forget about it" answer. 

I appreciate that, but I wasn't just talking about dreams in my last post.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)