The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 14, 2021, 04:26:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2021, 04:26:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: Watching the Olympics in Beijing?
Yes - 5 (18.5%)
No - 16 (59.3%)
Some - 3 (11.1%)
Other - 3 (11.1%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Watching the Olympics in Beijing?  (Read 13352 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: August 02, 2008, 12:08:03 pm »

I know a lot of people who usually watch the Olympics don't plan on watching this summer because they're in Beijing. What about you?

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: August 02, 2008, 12:16:19 pm »

I know a lot of people who usually watch the Olympics don't plan on watching this summer because they're in Beijing. What about you?

I don't normally watch sports, but I am boycotting the major Olympic sponsors, and I know that I definitely not going to be watching them.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 02, 2008, 12:33:12 pm »

Chiming in with Mel here: I don't typically watch sports, anyway, but the Olympic Committee's compliance with China's human rights violations has convinced me to boycott any official sponsors of the Olympics.

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 02, 2008, 12:42:28 pm »

SAme as Mel.  Is there a list of major sponsors somewhere. Given I don't actually watch broadcast or cable anywhere but at work, it's hard to find out that way.  And at work it's a couple minute here and 5 minutes there, since they pay me to take care of people. not watch tv

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 02, 2008, 12:48:38 pm »

SAme as Mel.  Is there a list of major sponsors somewhere. Given I don't actually watch broadcast or cable anywhere but at work, it's hard to find out that way.  And at work it's a couple minute here and 5 minutes there, since they pay me to take care of people. not watch tv

to answer my own question

http://en.beijing2008.cn/bocog/sponsors/sponsors/

I knoew i  had to give up diet coke, but you know, that wasn't exactly unexpected.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: August 02, 2008, 12:51:18 pm »

There is probably another list, but this was the first one I could find. Not sure exactly how support is divided up, but it looks like there are various categories.

http://en.beijing2008.cn/bocog/sponsors/sponsors/

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
thain
Master Member

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 02, 2008, 01:54:43 pm »

There is probably another list, but this was the first one I could find. Not sure exactly how support is divided up, but it looks like there are various categories.

Hmph...makes me glad my new debit card is a Mastercard.  I've only had Visa for as long as I've had a credit/debit card, but our new bank has a Mastercard-sponsored debit card.

Of course, certain boycotts will be difficult, if not impossible.  Samsung, for example, manufactures a LOT of LCD screens that are then rebranded for resale by other LCD sellers or used (sans branding) in laptop computers, but at least I don't have to buy directly from Samsung in a case like that.

And, of course, there go my dreams of one day owning a VW New Beetle convertible Wink.  (Ah, who am I kidding...once I saw the Smart, VW lost me anyway Grin)

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: August 02, 2008, 02:04:56 pm »

Hmph...makes me glad my new debit card is a Mastercard.  I've only had Visa for as long as I've had a credit/debit card, but our new bank has a Mastercard-sponsored debit card.

Unfortunately for me, my debit card is Visa.  Since there is no point in me closing my current bank account and starting another when the Olympics would be over in a few weeks anyway, I'll let it slide.

Of course, certain boycotts will be difficult, if not impossible.  Samsung, for example, manufactures a LOT of LCD screens that are then rebranded for resale by other LCD sellers or used (sans branding) in laptop computers, but at least I don't have to buy directly from Samsung in a case like that.

And, of course, there go my dreams of one day owning a VW New Beetle convertible Wink.  (Ah, who am I kidding...once I saw the Smart, VW lost me anyway Grin)

And I'm not planning on buying any electronics or cars so that is one that I don't have to remember.

My Spiritual Blog
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: August 02, 2008, 05:55:44 pm »

While I don't expect this to be anywhere near as bad as the 1936 Olympics, I have no desire to watch China try to spin itself into a great country instead of a human rights violator on a major scale -- so I will not be watching or even bothering to track the medal results.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 02, 2008, 07:56:01 pm »

I knoew i  had to give up diet coke, but you know, that wasn't exactly unexpected.

I've been dying for a Vault or Vanilla Coke since the sponsors list was announced. Cheesy

I'm so disappointed in VW though; I'd've bought that brand of vehicle when I got my car if not for the extra expense of repairing foreign cars around here.  *le sigh*

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: August 02, 2008, 08:07:45 pm »

I've been dying for a Vault or Vanilla Coke since the sponsors list was announced. Cheesy

I've been having cravings for regular Coke.  I love my Mountain Dew, don't get me wrong, but I need more variation in my choices of caffeine sources.

I'm so disappointed in VW though; I'd've bought that brand of vehicle when I got my car if not for the extra expense of repairing foreign cars around here.  *le sigh*

VWs are too small to fit my legs in so I wouldn't even bother (then again, so are a lot of cars).  Plus, they're just plain ugly.

My Spiritual Blog
thain
Master Member

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 02, 2008, 08:22:43 pm »

VWs are too small to fit my legs in so I wouldn't even bother (then again, so are a lot of cars).  Plus, they're just plain ugly.

Shocked

How tall are you Mel?  I'm 6'4", and the only non-gas-guzzling car I've ever been more comfortable in than my dad's 2000 VW Beetle is my wife's '05 PT Cruiser.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: August 02, 2008, 08:25:53 pm »

Shocked

How tall are you Mel?  I'm 6'4", and the only non-gas-guzzling car I've ever been more comfortable in than my dad's 2000 VW Beetle is my wife's '05 PT Cruiser.

Okay I probably misspoke.  They just LOOK too small for me to be comfortable in.  I never been in one.  And you're an inch or two taller than I am.

My Spiritual Blog
thain
Master Member

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 02, 2008, 08:48:32 pm »

Okay I probably misspoke.  They just LOOK too small for me to be comfortable in.  I never been in one.  And you're an inch or two taller than I am.

Hehe...I was shocked the first time I sat down in the New Beetle and found it to be so roomy.  We had just been test-driving a Saturn dad was thinking about helping me make a down-payment on, and the leg-room (and head-room) was absolutely abysmal in the Saturn.  Climbing into the VW was like the difference between night and day.  I've wanted one of my own ever since, but, like I said, I could live with having a 50 MPG non-hybrid Smart Grin

Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 02, 2008, 09:48:35 pm »

I loathe the human rights abuses, the lack of political pluralism, and the absence of sound environmental stewardship as practiced by the current Chinese Communist Party.

However, I equally loathe our own ruling class. People who make great show of saluting the flag, gutted this nation's industrial base. They forced our workers to compete with peasants willing to work for pennies per hour, under conditions outlawed 100 years ago in the USA. The lesson they've taught us, is that our own business and political leaders love the dollar more than they ever loved America.

The Chinese Communist Party is collectively guilty of many things, but nobody on Earth has empowered it more than the United States of America. And we won't even get into my own nation's many misdeeds.

I'm torn, because the spirit of the Olympic Games is supposed to be beyond politics. The point is that all our nations can compete peacefully, on the athletic fields...not on the battlefields. The Olympic Games seem especially important now, with the world so much more interconnected than it used to be. All of us live on the brink of extinction.

I also wish that the concerned parties had allowed an actual priestess of Hera (there are many!) to send the first Olympic torch runner on his way, instead of hiring a Greek actress to do the job.

I wish all of China the best with regard to the hosting the Olympic Games. May Zeus grant that all the athletes acheive glory, and that a good time will be had by all attendees.

As for me, I'll probably keep track of the running events.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)