The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 14, 2021, 03:25:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2021, 03:25:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: Watching the Olympics in Beijing?
Yes - 5 (18.5%)
No - 16 (59.3%)
Some - 3 (11.1%)
Other - 3 (11.1%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Watching the Olympics in Beijing?  (Read 13348 times)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: August 02, 2008, 10:29:54 pm »

I loathe the human rights abuses, the lack of political pluralism, and the absence of sound environmental stewardship as practiced by the current Chinese Communist Party.

However, I equally loathe our own ruling class. People who make great show of saluting the flag, gutted this nation's industrial base. They forced our workers to compete with peasants willing to work for pennies per hour, under conditions outlawed 100 years ago in the USA. The lesson they've taught us, is that our own business and political leaders love the dollar more than they ever loved America.

The Chinese Communist Party is collectively guilty of many things, but nobody on Earth has empowered it more than the United States of America. And we won't even get into my own nation's many misdeeds.

Every country has skeletons in its closet, some more obvious than others.  However, the human rights violations are much more pronounced in China.  With the US, the big corporations and the politicians they're paying are the culprits.  And hopefully, the next administration would change that.

However, since China is communist there is very little chance that anything there would change anytime soon.

I'm torn, because the spirit of the Olympic Games is supposed to be beyond politics. The point is that all our nations can compete peacefully, on the athletic fields...not on the battlefields. The Olympic Games seem especially important now, with the world so much more interconnected than it used to be. All of us live on the brink of extinction.

IMO, there is very little a silly sports competition can do to improve the lives of everyone on Earth.  When they're over with, people are still people.  We all compete over resources, we all have ideological differences and we all are doomed to stay within the cycle that has been in place since the dawn of history.

I also wish that the concerned parties had allowed an actual priestess of Hera (there are many!) to send the first Olympic torch runner on his way, instead of hiring a Greek actress to do the job.

And don't forget about those horrible mascots.  Given how the Greek Government treats followers of the old ways, I'm not surprised

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: August 02, 2008, 10:34:28 pm »

However, since China is communist there is very little chance that anything there would change anytime soon.

For the record, the fact that China is communist has very little to do with the Chinese tolerance for human rights abuses. Sadly, for most of it long history the Chinese government has ruled the lower classes harshly and not tolerated much dissent. The current leadership of Imperial China just calls itself communist (and actually was communist under Mao -- but that was a long ago flash in the pan).

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 02, 2008, 10:36:02 pm »

The current leadership of Imperial China just calls itself communist (and actually was communist under Mao -- but that was a long ago flash in the pan).

Yeah...their current style of government puts me more in mind of fascism than (true Marxist) Communism.

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: August 02, 2008, 10:46:00 pm »

For the record, the fact that China is communist has very little to do with the Chinese tolerance for human rights abuses. Sadly, for most of it long history the Chinese government has ruled the lower classes harshly and not tolerated much dissent. The current leadership of Imperial China just calls itself communist (and actually was communist under Mao -- but that was a long ago flash in the pan).

Eastern history is not my strong suit, thanks for correcting me on that one Smiley

So it is cultural differences and China's refusal to "Westernize" that's the root of this?

My Spiritual Blog
Cathira
Master Member
Last Login:November 01, 2008, 04:26:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Kemetically-influenced mental decoration & maintenance scheme
Awards: Site Assistant

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: August 02, 2008, 11:01:48 pm »

They forced our workers to compete with peasants willing to work for pennies per hour, under conditions outlawed 100 years ago in the USA.

What makes you think the 'peasants' are willing?

Chinese "peasants" are people too, and often don't get any choice in whether or not they're willing to work for pennies an hour. If the choice is to work for pennies or to starve on the streets, what would you choose?

I object to calling people 'peasants' instead of people, especially in this day and age. It dehumanises them and sends out the implication that they are somehow less than 'people'. In this case it gave me the impression that you consider people who cannot find employment under better conditions to be worth less than an American worker. It smacks of class discrimination which is still rife in many countries, where a certain 'class' of people are thought to be worth less than others (Women in some countries, rich vs. poor, etc). Which in my opinion is utter BS. I hope I am incorrect in your intentions when that comment was made at any rate.

I'm a cute kitty,
Small and pretty,
Feed me chocolate day and night,
Just be forewarned I have quite a bite!
Cathira
Master Member
Last Login:November 01, 2008, 04:26:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Kemetically-influenced mental decoration & maintenance scheme
Awards: Site Assistant

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: August 02, 2008, 11:10:15 pm »

I know a lot of people who usually watch the Olympics don't plan on watching this summer because they're in Beijing. What about you?

Although I get 'over' the olympics pretty quickly (endless coverage will do that to a person Wink) I usually try to tune in for some of the horseriding, gymnastics and a few other interesting events.

This year I'm not even remotely interested. In fact, even the lead up to the olympics has been a lot quieter than in previous years it seems. Maybe it's because of where I'm living, but it just doesn't seem as... "in-your-face" as usual either here. Which in some ways says a lot.

I won't be tuning in this year on principle.

I'm a cute kitty,
Small and pretty,
Feed me chocolate day and night,
Just be forewarned I have quite a bite!
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: August 02, 2008, 11:41:49 pm »

I've been having cravings for regular Coke.  I love my Mountain Dew, don't get me wrong, but I need more variation in my choices of caffeine sources.

Right!  And when you want Coke, Pepsi just won't do (too damn sweet, and not acidic enough; when I drink cola, I want my teeth to feel cleaner afterwards. Grin)

VWs are too small to fit my legs in so I wouldn't even bother (then again, so are a lot of cars).  Plus, they're just plain ugly.

I think they're retro-sexy*, but I like the Subarus for the same reason. Smiley

*Except the new version of the Beetle; those are ugly. Tongue

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: August 02, 2008, 11:45:13 pm »

*Except the new version of the Beetle; those are ugly. Tongue

The Beetles were what I was thinking of.  I'm sure VW has cars that look nice, but the Beetles are just fugly.

Yes, I hate the way they look so much that I upgraded it on the ugliness scale.

My Spiritual Blog
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: August 02, 2008, 11:56:38 pm »

The Beetles were what I was thinking of.  I'm sure VW has cars that look nice, but the Beetles are just fugly.

Yes, I hate the way they look so much that I upgraded it on the ugliness scale.

The Jetta SportWagan is a sweet little station wagon...although the Subaru Outback is a little nicer.

But yes, the new Beetles are totally fugly, esp. when compared to the original.

Actually, there's a kind of wagon that I really love, and I just can't remember what it is at the mo... damn.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: August 03, 2008, 01:47:46 am »

I know a lot of people who usually watch the Olympics don't plan on watching this summer because they're in Beijing. What about you?

I don't watch the Olympics anyway.  I've always found them boring.  I'm more of an Xgames type myself, though I haven't had the chance to watch them in years.

As to the human rights violations.  I think that being in opposition to the Chinese government shouldn't mean punishing all those excellent athletes after all of the hard work they've done in preparation for this.  Also it shouldn't mean punishing the Chinese people, the ones whose rights are being violated in the first place.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: August 03, 2008, 08:12:15 am »

What makes you think the 'peasants' are willing?

Chinese "peasants" are people too, and often don't get any choice in whether or not they're willing to work for pennies an hour. If the choice is to work for pennies or to starve on the streets, what would you choose?

* snip *

It smacks of class discrimination which is still rife in many countries, where a certain 'class' of people are thought to be worth less than others (Women in some countries, rich vs. poor, etc). Which in my opinion is utter BS. I hope I am incorrect in your intentions when that comment was made at any rate.

The word "peasant" indicates someone who is so desperately poor that they will be "willing" to work for almost any wage offered. It's a descriptive term, which differentiates these people from Australians or Americans or Europeans. It doesn't make them worth less as human beings, but it does make them an easily-exploited source of cheap labor. Cheap labor that has already eroded the standard of living in the West, and will continue to do so for the rest of your lifetime.

I can't blame the Chinese people for seizing an opportunity that presents itself. However, American political leaders have an obligation to look out for the interests of American workers. Their priority should be to put the economic well-being of American workers first.

If that strikes you as classist, I can't help that. I stand by my position.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: August 03, 2008, 08:36:00 am »

IMO, there is very little a silly sports competition can do to improve the lives of everyone on Earth.  When they're over with, people are still people.  We all compete over resources, we all have ideological differences and we all are doomed to stay within the cycle that has been in place since the dawn of history.

Bloody human conflict over resources, and ideological diversity, will both endure as long as humanity does. However, symbols are important. Acheivements which have symbolic value are also important.

This was the reason behind both the original Olympic Games, and their late 19th century revival (or perhaps more accurately, re-imagining).

When we as humans become so focused on consuming things, that we don't even dare to dream of accomplishing what seems impossible, we will become less.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 08:39:57 am by Aetius, Reason: replaced \"focused with\" w/ \"focused on\" » Logged

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: August 03, 2008, 11:20:17 am »

I haven't decided. 

The Olympics have been really important to me since I was a little girl, but I'm really soured on them this year - for obvious reasons.  I don't actually think that my boycotting them will serve any purpose, and I feel for the atheletes participating, but I can't get excited about them this year.  I'm probably skip them but it makes me very sad. 

Not as sad as the fact that Chinese human rights violations have actually increased in every area measured by Amnesty International during the period since Beijing was chosen for the Olympics.  But still sad.
wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: August 03, 2008, 08:57:49 pm »

Although I get 'over' the olympics pretty quickly (endless coverage will do that to a person Wink) I usually try to tune in for some of the horseriding, gymnastics and a few other interesting events.

This year I'm not even remotely interested. In fact, even the lead up to the olympics has been a lot quieter than in previous years it seems. Maybe it's because of where I'm living, but it just doesn't seem as... "in-your-face" as usual either here. Which in some ways says a lot.

I won't be tuning in this year on principle.

Come to think of it, I haven't really seen much of a leadup to it either.  Although it is possible that the cause of it is all of the political turmoil.I mean, I haven't even seen much in the lines of Olympics related promos and the like.  They probably don't want people blackballing the stations that are doing the advertising and the like over this.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: August 03, 2008, 09:01:06 pm »

I haven't decided. 

The Olympics have been really important to me since I was a little girl, but I'm really soured on them this year - for obvious reasons.  I don't actually think that my boycotting them will serve any purpose, and I feel for the atheletes participating, but I can't get excited about them this year.  I'm probably skip them but it makes me very sad. 

Not as sad as the fact that Chinese human rights violations have actually increased in every area measured by Amnesty International during the period since Beijing was chosen for the Olympics.  But still sad.

I wonder, does the Chinese government realize that by trying to make themselves look better, they are actually making themselves look much worse?

My Writings So Far

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)