The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 14, 2021, 04:14:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2021, 04:14:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: Watching the Olympics in Beijing?
Yes - 5 (18.5%)
No - 16 (59.3%)
Some - 3 (11.1%)
Other - 3 (11.1%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Watching the Olympics in Beijing?  (Read 13351 times)
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #30: August 04, 2008, 08:11:17 am »

I wonder, does the Chinese government realize that by trying to make themselves look better, they are actually making themselves look much worse?

It's a question of who controls information.  They probably think they're controlling it FAR more than they actually are.

Also, they probably assume most people don't give a damn - which is probably true. Sad

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #31: August 04, 2008, 08:41:11 am »

I know a lot of people who usually watch the Olympics don't plan on watching this summer because they're in Beijing. What about you?

I went with "other".  Myself, the more I hear the less I'm inclined to watch any of it. 

I mean, I was never going to watch much anyway; I'm not a big sports person, and I mostly watch Olympic events that I can appreciate on an aesthetic (sp?) level--gymnastics and to some extent diving in the summer, figure skating in the winter, stuff like that.  And TV time in our household is so limited right now that we can barely keep up with the handful of series we like to watch anyway, so I think our Olympic viewing time was going to be more restricted than it has been in the past in any case.

Hearing more about the political issues has made me less inclined to watch any of it at all, but in all honesty, if Hubby decides he wants to see some of it...  I don't know that I'll argue too hard.  I've made him aware of the issues as best I can.  If he doesn't feel bothered by them, I guess I'm kind of in "whatever" mode.  Or I suspect I will be by 9pm when we finally get to watching TV and I've been running around getting the baby put to bed and the dishes washed and lunch packed and I just want to sit down and relax, at least.

And I've just realized Hubby's going to be gone on business travel for a substantial chunk of it anyway, so I guess my answer is "mostly no, partly other".  Cheesy

I don't think I'm going to go as far as boycotting the sponsors.  For one thing, we already own a VW--a Passat which, for the record, is super-comfy and has lots of legroom for even my long legs--we already don't really use Visa much--although we do have one, I guess--and we don't buy much soda so I don't think my boycotting Coke would really actually do much.  For another, right now I'm finding shopping complicated enough trying to adjust through various baby-development stages in very quick succession without adding more restrictions to it.  Which I sort of dislike saying because it feels really sort of selfish and like I'm not sticking to my principles or something, but I do feel like I've got to get a handle on this as-is before I can be effective in trying to remember a list of stuff I'm not supposed to be buying.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #32: August 04, 2008, 02:15:21 pm »

Sponsors walking away from the Olympics
China may end up being the high watermark of big corporate deals

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26011699/

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
leigh137
Journeyman
Last Login:February 05, 2009, 03:07:55 pm

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: August 05, 2008, 10:40:57 am »

I know a lot of people who usually watch the Olympics don't plan on watching this summer because they're in Beijing. What about you?
I won't watch the whole thing, but I will be watching Equestrian, because I'm a sucker for horses. Also I think we can at least watch the people we sent over there. It's not their fault China has the worst human rights and pollution standards in the world.

"You must have faith... That the universe will unfold as it should."
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #34: August 05, 2008, 06:36:19 pm »

Walt Handelsman's take on the pollution. (Yeah. I know. Not really related to the thread, but I'm lazy.)

http://weblogs.newsday.com/news/opinion/walthandelsman/blog/2008/08/olympic_pollution.html

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #35: August 05, 2008, 07:07:12 pm »

Walt Handelsman's take on the pollution. (Yeah. I know. Not really related to the thread, but I'm lazy.)

http://weblogs.newsday.com/news/opinion/walthandelsman/blog/2008/08/olympic_pollution.html

That's so true Cheesy

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: August 06, 2008, 02:21:42 am »

I got a chuckle out of it.  I didn't even know about the pollution problem until it was mentioned here.  I've known about the human rights for years.  Wow.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #37: August 06, 2008, 09:53:05 am »

I got a chuckle out of it.  I didn't even know about the pollution problem until it was mentioned here.  I've known about the human rights for years.  Wow.

Oh yeah. China's pollution is one reason given for why we didn't sign on to the Kyoto Treaty (well, that's sort of simplistic, but it has bearing).

ThtreLady
Journeyman
Last Login:July 20, 2011, 05:49:34 pm

Religion: Celtic Seeker

Blog entries (0)

thtrelady

Ignore
« Reply #38: August 06, 2008, 11:57:00 am »

I'm about to make the unpopular choice: yes, I will be watching the Olympics this year. No, I will not be boycotting either the Games or the sponsors of said games.  I like Coke, and my debit and credit cards have been Visa for 15 years now.

Reason 1: It is not the world's athletes' fault that the IOC chose China for the Olympics and I refuse to punish them for someone else's decision.  I enjoy watching the competition and have since I was a very little girl.  That is unlikely to change now that I'm an adult.  I look forward to the Olympics every time they come around - I love seeing the different nations compete.  The Olympics were a big part of my life before now, and most likely will be after this, I don't feel like punishing myself either.

Reason 2: I believe that the attention the Games brings to China is a good thing because it's focused attention on the problems (and the good things).  Attention can bring change, but only if we get off our high horses.  It's not so long ago that the West had some nasty human rights abuses happening.  And our record on pollution doesn't exactly give us any legs to stand on as far as complaining about their pollution.  Smacks of hypocrisy and massive superiorty complex to me.
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: August 06, 2008, 12:28:04 pm »

Reason 2: I believe that the attention the Games brings to China is a good thing because it's focused attention on the problems (and the good things).  Attention can bring change, but only if we get off our high horses.  It's not so long ago that the West had some nasty human rights abuses happening.  And our record on pollution doesn't exactly give us any legs to stand on as far as complaining about their pollution.  Smacks of hypocrisy and massive superiorty complex to me.

But part of the selling point on china, as agreed to by china and the IOC, is that this would ed up with greater freedoms and more openness, and exactly the opposite has happened.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
ThtreLady
Journeyman
Last Login:July 20, 2011, 05:49:34 pm

Religion: Celtic Seeker

Blog entries (0)

thtrelady

Ignore
« Reply #40: August 06, 2008, 12:33:32 pm »

But part of the selling point on china, as agreed to by china and the IOC, is that this would ed up with greater freedoms and more openness, and exactly the opposite has happened.

You are right - so far.  But do you know what will happen after the games?  I tend to take an optimistic view that the increased exposure will bring increased pressure to make the necessary changes.  Yes, they are cracking down before the games in the name of security (and I can think of other places/countries that have done that), but it may very well end up backfiring on them and leading to a more open society in the future.

I may be wrong and maybe the thousands of years of history in China of oppression will continue.  But I have hope.
sashapablo
Board Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:January 19, 2012, 05:37:09 pm

Religion: Hellenic polytheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #41: August 06, 2008, 05:15:50 pm »

You are right - so far.  But do you know what will happen after the games?  I tend to take an optimistic view that the increased exposure will bring increased pressure to make the necessary changes.  Yes, they are cracking down before the games in the name of security (and I can think of other places/countries that have done that), but it may very well end up backfiring on them and leading to a more open society in the future.

I may be wrong and maybe the thousands of years of history in China of oppression will continue.  But I have hope.

My grad school history advisor is from South Korea, and he credits the Seoul Olympics as the catalyst for S. Korean independence. He has been hoping for a similar situation in China.

Sasha
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #42: August 06, 2008, 07:19:32 pm »

Okay, call me a complete moron, but why are people not watching the Olympics?

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #43: August 06, 2008, 07:24:13 pm »

This is more or less exactly my take (and probability of watching), said much better than I could.  Thanks, Star Wink
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #44: August 06, 2008, 10:12:28 pm »

Okay, call me a complete moron, but why are people not watching the Olympics?

China's human rights record is sort of the antithesis to what one would expect from an Olympic host nation. Let's just say it runs counter to what the Olympics originally and, in a lot of ways still do stand for.

It's rather like Libya taking over the Council for Human Rights at the UN.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)