The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 14, 2021, 11:38:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 14, 2021, 11:38:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Modern Olympics  (Read 12243 times)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: August 02, 2008, 10:40:56 pm »

This thread was obviously inspired by recent talk about the Beijing Olympics.

Political debates aside, what is your opinion on the modern Olympics.  Since it is now secularized, do they still have any religious value to modern Hellenic Pagans?

If there is no religious value, then is there any cultural value?  By that I mean "is connected to the ancient religion" and not "because it's connected into modern culture."

Do you think that the original meaning of the Olympics are lost on most people?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 03, 2008, 01:50:07 am »

Political debates aside, what is your opinion on the modern Olympics.  Since it is now secularized, do they still have any religious value to modern Hellenic Pagans?

If there is no religious value, then is there any cultural value?  By that I mean "is connected to the ancient religion" and not "because it's connected into modern culture."

Not a hellenic, but... yes, I do think the original meaning is lost on most people.  Partially because they don't know, and partially because most wouldn't really care if they did know.  The rest of your questions would have to be answered by someone in the religion.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 03, 2008, 08:57:59 am »

I think it pleases the Gods whenever we mortals strive for athletic excellence. Nothing embodies the Delphic Maxim, "Acheive your limit", better than Olympic athletes.

I believe that the perceived value of the Games, even among Hellenic Pagans, is quite possibly less than the true value.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: August 03, 2008, 09:02:15 am »

I think it pleases the Gods whenever we mortals strive for athletic excellence.

Probably so, but I don't think the modern Olympic games are the religious event the ancient ones were -- nor could they be. The ancient games were held within one culture and religion. The modern games cross all cultural and religious lines.

I believe that the perceived value of the Games, even among Hellenic Pagans, is quite possibly less than the true value.

In what way?

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Aetius
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 03, 2008, 09:12:13 am »

Probably so, but I don't think the modern Olympic games are the religious event the ancient ones were -- nor could they be. The ancient games were held within one culture and religion. The modern games cross all cultural and religious lines.

Our Gods and Goddesses are not so small, that They ignore the actions of non-worshippers. Striving for athletic excellence pleases Them, even if the striving is done by mortals who deny the Gods' very existence. I see the multi-cultural context of the Games as irrelevant to the issue of whether the Games are pleasing to the Deathless Ones.

It's worth noting that I think the World Cup, another multi-cultural sporting event, probably pleases Them just as much.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 09:17:18 am by Aetius, Reason: Spelling error: \"irrrelevant\" changed to \"irrelevant\" » Logged

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: August 03, 2008, 09:13:30 am »

Our Gods and Goddesses are not so small, that They ignore the actions of non-worshippers. Striving for athletic excellence pleases Them, even if the striving is done by mortals who deny the Gods' very existence. I see the multi-cultural context of the Games as irrrelevant to the issue of whether the Games are pleasing to the Deathless Ones.

You are looking at it differently than I do, but I do see where you are coming from now.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 03, 2008, 10:58:06 am »

Nothing embodies the Delphic Maxim, "Acheive your limit", better than Olympic athletes.

I'm approaching this as an Eclectic (who is trying to be very serious about his eclecticism), NOT a Hellenic pagan, but I'm very curious as to why no other discipline would embody this maxim as well as Olympic Athletes?

I need to do more study into Hellenic paganism (right now, my only real grounding is the mythology I read as a child, coupled with Homer and a few Greek playwrights), but I thought the Hellenic gods all had different things they found pleasing, so while some might find athletic prowess to be the most pleasing, others might find art, literature, or science more pleasing.

If I am a musician who practices (trains) every day in order to reach virtuoso-level talent, am I not "achieving my limit"?

If I am a writer who challenges my very soul to write the best fiction/non-fiction/philosophy/theology that I can, am I not "achieving my limit"?

If I am an artist/sculptor who creates beautiful works of art, am I not "achieving my limit"?

If I am a professor who goes above and beyond what curriculum or state standards expect of me to ensure my students receive the best education possible, and as a result, more of my students graduate on the Dean's List than any other class, is reaching this "limit" somehow less valuable than someone running in fast circles on a clay track?

If I am an inventor constantly pushing my creativity to bring newer, better technologies to the world, is my "limit" somehow inferior to that of an individual who can make a long-distance jump?

If I am a clinical researcher working daily to discover cures for diseases thought incurable, and if I DISCOVER one or more of these cures, is my "limit" of less value than someone who can throw a javelin?  (George W Bush might think so, in the metaphorical sense that throwing a javelin equates to being a good warrior, but I wouldn't have thought the Hellenic gods would agree).

Please understand, I'm not attacking you, but I'm very interested to hear why, from a Hellenic perspective, the actions I listed are not as valuable as being an Olympic athlete (or why, from a Hellenic perspective, they're just as valuable or more valuable).

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 03, 2008, 11:09:58 am »

I'm approaching this as an Eclectic (who is trying to be very serious about his eclecticism), NOT a Hellenic pagan, but I'm very curious as to why no other discipline would embody this maxim as well as Olympic Athletes?
Not Aetius here, but he said nothing embodies the maxim better.  There can be any number of things that embody it as well

In athletics, especially in sports that don't have a prominent world championship of their own, the Olympics are the standard for excellence.

Plus - someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new at this - athletic competitions appear to have been a favorite way to honor many of the Greek gods, not just the ones one would associate with sport.  The Greeks were really big on physical fitness.
thain
Master Member

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 03, 2008, 11:21:41 am »

Not Aetius here, but he said nothing embodies the maxim better.  There can be any number of things that embody it as well

Good qualification there, and I agree (although my very prejudiced mind says that somebody running around on a clay track does not deserve the same praise as someone who just cured cancer).  I tend to read something like "Nothing embodies 'x' better" as meaning not so much that there are other things that are just as good, but that this particular thing is the best embodiment of 'x'.  If I misread Aetius's intent, I apologize. Smiley

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: August 03, 2008, 01:04:50 pm »

Good qualification there, and I agree (although my very prejudiced mind says that somebody running around on a clay track does not deserve the same praise as someone who just cured cancer).  I tend to read something like "Nothing embodies 'x' better" as meaning not so much that there are other things that are just as good, but that this particular thing is the best embodiment of 'x'.  If I misread Aetius's intent, I apologize. Smiley

To tell the truth, I interpreted his statement the same way.  I think from the perspective of the ancient Greeks, athletics may have been slightly more important.  Even though ancient Greece is known for its art, architecture, literature and philosophy, such things would have been unimportant to your average Greek.

That said, I tend to place creativity and knowledge at a higher value than athletics.

My Spiritual Blog
thain
Master Member

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 03, 2008, 01:11:45 pm »

That said, I tend to place creativity and knowledge at a higher value than athletics.

I guess, being writers, we're both prejudiced Grin

Aetius
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 03, 2008, 05:47:15 pm »

I guess, being writers, we're both prejudiced Grin

Honest to Zeus, I really didn't mean to imply that writing an award-winning play wouldn't please Dionysos just as much as winning a marathon would please Herakles.

I really believe that most of the Theoi value athletic prowess in humans, as our bodies truly are temples in their own special way. Physical fitness is a way to show respect for the gift of our fragile, mortal existence.

The Gods and Goddesses just appreciate many other things, which relate to Their often-overlapping spheres of influence.

P.S. Thank you Thorn, for offering clarification.

thain
Master Member

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 03, 2008, 05:58:51 pm »

I really believe that most of the Theoi value athletic prowess in humans, as our bodies truly are temples in their own special way. Physical fitness is a way to show respect for the gift of our fragile, mortal existence.

That makes sense. Smiley  Unfortunately, humans like me don't value that athletic prowess nearly as much, even though I could certainly stand to value it a bit more.

This is more of a historical question than a religious question, but do you think part of the reason athletic prowess was valued so much was because runners were frequently used to carry important messages, so having the fastest runners meant having the most reliable messengers?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: August 03, 2008, 06:07:12 pm »

That makes sense. Smiley  Unfortunately, humans like me don't value that athletic prowess nearly as much, even though I could certainly stand to value it a bit more.

I'm beginning to notice that you and I are a lot alike. Smiley  Although, recently I have tried to exercise more.

This is more of a historical question than a religious question, but do you think part of the reason athletic prowess was valued so much was because runners were frequently used to carry important messages, so having the fastest runners meant having the most reliable messengers?

Not Aetius, but I think that may be a reasonable conclusion.  The Marathon was created to honor such a runner, after all.

And of course, the javelin throw originated in warfare for another example of how these events were practical outside the games.

(not to mention archery and chariot races)

My Spiritual Blog
thain
Master Member

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 03, 2008, 06:12:12 pm »

I'm beginning to notice that you and I are a lot alike. Smiley  Although, recently I have tried to exercise more.

I've been noticing this, too Grin

(not to mention archery and chariot races)

And wrestling, which would also be a fairly useful martial skill.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)