The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 30, 2020, 12:42:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2020, 12:42:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tarot Correspondences  (Read 6634 times)
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm
United States United States

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 03, 2008, 02:23:14 am »

I thought of this to explain something in another topic.  I use different correspondences than most people do for the elements in relation to the tarot suits.

So my question is, do you use "book" definitions for the correspondences (elemental or otherwise), and why or why not?

For myself, I gave up on the books for the elements at least.  I'll have to go back and see what other correspondences I have (it's been awhile, several moves and stuff still is not unpacked).

For Cups, I have water.  That is the only common denominator between my correspondences and the common ones.  My reasoning is pretty obvious, a cup holds water (or other liquids).

For Swords, I have fire.  When I think of a sword, I think of the process it takes to make one (forging), which require fire.  I also think of the fiery souls of those who wield a sword to anything resembling a decent display.

For Wands, I have earth.  Wand from branch, from tree, which grows in... you guessed it, earth.  I also associate it with growing things.

For Pentacles, I have air.  I had to think long and hard about this, and because of this association, I revamped this several times.  I ended up coming back to this.  Pentacles, whether seen as a coin, or as a design are something more mental than anything.  As a coin, it can show commerce which is a mental design in and of itself.  As a symbol, it is based in the ideals of a religion, community, or any group of people in general.  Both of these lead back to the mind, which I have always connected with air.  (I know other connect the mind to fire, which I always connect to the soul).

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #1: August 03, 2008, 08:22:43 am »

I thought of this to explain something in another topic.  I use different correspondences than most people do for the elements in relation to the tarot suits.

I can follow your explanation about pentacle being air.
It is not at all that far fetched.

I think the correspondences have to work for you.
Sword and Wand I've seen interchanged in some decks.

General correspondences might have a kind of power stored by all the people following and believing in them (which can be helpful) but personal correspondences resonate with your deep mind and that's the one who does the magic after all.

Myself, I'm a mix and matcher. I'll go for the books and get inspiration, but it is very likely to find me standing in the kitchen and then I see something among the spices and: Yes, that's it - you go into the mix, no matter what a book says Wink

So everything that works  Cheesy

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: August 03, 2008, 08:28:15 am »

So my question is, do you use "book" definitions for the correspondences (elemental or otherwise), and why or why not?

Even the book definitions vary a bit. Pentacles are almost always Earth and Cups almost always water. Swords and Wands, however, often vary between air and fire.  Personally, I prefer swords to be fire and wands to be air, but I can work with the opposite in a deck whose symbolism requires it -- if I really like the deck.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 03, 2008, 11:17:47 am »

For me it depends on the deck I am using. When doing readings for myself I use a novelty deck, so I go by the deck's instructions or it gets too complicated to figure out.  But for most other decks the element match-up goes like this:

Pentacles - Air (stars are in the sky)
Cups - Water (cups hold water)
Swords - Fire (similar power)
Wands - Earth (wands are made from trees)
wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 03, 2008, 09:02:58 pm »

I can follow your explanation about pentacle being air.
It is not at all that far fetched.

I think the correspondences have to work for you.
Sword and Wand I've seen interchanged in some decks.

General correspondences might have a kind of power stored by all the people following and believing in them (which can be helpful) but personal correspondences resonate with your deep mind and that's the one who does the magic after all.

Myself, I'm a mix and matcher. I'll go for the books and get inspiration, but it is very likely to find me standing in the kitchen and then I see something among the spices and: Yes, that's it - you go into the mix, no matter what a book says Wink

So everything that works  Cheesy

Exactly how I see it.  Some parts you use because they are necessary, others you add or revise because it is what seems right to do.  Sometimes things turn out the better for it, sometimes... well not so much.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: August 03, 2008, 09:41:42 pm »

<insert standard I-don't-do-tarot-nor-observe-classical-elements disclaimer here>

I think that all four suits can be associated with earth.  My reasoning breaks down to:

sword - made of metal.  Metal comes from the Earth.

cup - made from either metal, clay, glass or wood.  Metal and clay comes from the Earth, glass made from sand, wood comes from trees which comes from the Earth.

wand - made of either wood or metal and often includes crystals.  Metal and crystals come from the Earth.  Wood comes from trees which comes from the Earth.

penacle - can be made from various materials that comes from the Earth.  Suit symbolizes wealth which also comes from the Earth (crops, precious metals and stones)

Also fire can correspond with three suits because swords, cups and pentacles (depending on the materials they're made from) requires fire to make them.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 03, 2008, 09:45:42 pm »

Also fire can correspond with three suits because swords, cups and pentacles (depending on the materials they're made from) requires fire to make them.

I take it you've never seen/heard of a wand made of metal.  So it could actually be all four.

And yes, they could, it all depends on how a person sees things.  Which is what this topic is about, why people see the correspondences as they do.  Just a curiosity thing with me.

My Writings So Far
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: August 03, 2008, 09:53:13 pm »

I take it you've never seen/heard of a wand made of metal.  So it could actually be all four.

Damn, and I mentioned metal the first time I covered wands Tongue

And yes, they could, it all depends on how a person sees things.  Which is what this topic is about, why people see the correspondences as they do.  Just a curiosity thing with me.

This is why I don't do ceremonial magic, I cant for the life of me put up with most of the correspondences involved Tongue

My Spiritual Blog
wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 03, 2008, 10:26:45 pm »

Damn, and I mentioned metal the first time I covered wands Tongue

This is why I don't do ceremonial magic, I cant for the life of me put up with most of the correspondences involved Tongue

That's my problem with ceremonial magic, too.  Most of it doesn't give a reason for the correspondences other than what seems to be the ADM phenomenon, or things that otherwise just do not make any sense to me.  (Yes, I have officially given in to using the ADM.)

My Writings So Far
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: August 03, 2008, 10:30:57 pm »

That's my problem with ceremonial magic, too.  Most of it doesn't give a reason for the correspondences other than what seems to be the ADM phenomenon, or things that otherwise just do not make any sense to me.  (Yes, I have officially given in to using the ADM.)

You know that's not safe to mention them, right?  Not to mention that you're not whispering not to mention overly daring Grin

My Spiritual Blog
wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 03, 2008, 11:26:06 pm »

You know that's not safe to mention them, right?  Not to mention that you're not whispering not to mention overly daring Grin

Hm, well, if they have an issue with it, they can come visit me in my dreams.  Not like I would take them seriously anyway.  I'd just chalk it up to bad food, or my, very often, overactive imagination.  Then again, that might explain some of the odd dreams I've had...  Grin

My Writings So Far
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 04, 2008, 10:26:40 am »

Forgive my dullness, what is ADM?
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 04, 2008, 10:42:43 am »

Forgive my dullness, what is ADM?

Grin  Nothing dull about it.  ADM = Atlantean Dolphin Masters.  A running joke based on the number of fluffies who have claimed they are channeling Atlantean Masters (I don't think anybody actually remembers where the Dolphins came into play on TC).

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 04, 2008, 10:49:55 am »

Grin  Nothing dull about it.  ADM = Atlantean Dolphin Masters.  A running joke based on the number of fluffies who have claimed they are channeling Atlantean Masters (I don't think anybody actually remembers where the Dolphins came into play on TC).

Aahhh, gotcha.  Heard/read all about 'em, just never seen it abbreviated before.

Thankees Smiley
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: August 04, 2008, 05:53:17 pm »

Actually, we do.  See the first thread linked to on this web page: Old Board Archives -- How to Deal with Fluff Bunnies from 1998.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)