The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 09, 2020, 07:44:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 09, 2020, 07:44:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: reincarnation.  (Read 7060 times)
Hufflee
Master Member
Last Login:September 17, 2011, 03:46:48 pm
United States United States

Religion: Spiritual Witch with an Hermetic bent

Blog entries (0)

hufflee Jennifer Lee Huffman who has time?

Ignore
« Reply #15: October 11, 2008, 11:43:03 am »

Confabulation has nothing to do with being given to the fantastic. It'sjust what happens when the brain tries to fill in perceived gaps, essentially.

I understand the def of confabulation, I just meant that this particular man doesn't believe in anything not easily provable (to his understanding) by science.....not hypnotism, ESP, nothing. Thinks it's all foolishness. Well, he believes hypnotism works now, but that's besides the point. I wasn't trying to say that confabulation had anything to do with being fantastic.

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish blood is laughing)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: October 11, 2008, 11:45:47 am »

I understand the def of confabulation, I just meant that this particular man doesn't believe in anything not easily provable (to his understanding) by science.....not hypnotism, ESP, nothing. Thinks it's all foolishness. Well, he believes hypnotism works now, but that's besides the point. I wasn't trying to say that confabulation had anything to do with being fantastic.

I dont think that the man is ordinarily a skeptic proves anything either.  He's had someone tinkering with his memory, effectively.  Naturally it's going to feel real.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Hufflee
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: October 11, 2008, 11:48:32 am »

I dont think that the man is ordinarily a skeptic proves anything either.  He's had someone tinkering with his memory, effectively.  Naturally it's going to feel real.

I wasn't in the room with him during the sessions, so you may be right. But can I ask how you know so certainly that this is true?

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: October 11, 2008, 11:50:40 am »

I wasn't in the room with him during the sessions, so you may be right. But can I ask how you know so certainly that this is true?

Im over stating my certainty yes, but I feel pretty damn confidant, given what is known about memories 'recovered' during hypnotism.  People in a trance state are extremely suggestible.

You seem uncomfortable with *my* cerainty, yet many more outlandish things get posted on ths forum.  Will you be querying all of those?

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #19: October 11, 2008, 01:13:23 pm »

As an aside, and with no empirical evidence whatsoever, I have found that skeptics, especially the self-proclaimed 'hard-line' variety, are often the easiest to convince and, once convinced, the strongest proponents of the phenomenon that convinced them. They are sure they could not be personally fooled, so if you demonstrate with something that touches them personally (say, an accurate reading), they will change their opinion on at least that one thing, simply because the experience is immediate and relevant to  their own self-perception.

This is generally the 'seeing is believing' type, who look doubtfully at statistics and studies, but are willing to believe what they can themselves attest to.  Many of my clients on open days are of this type, coming in because the price on those days is cheap enough to be worth throwing away to challenge me.  Once converted (again, by an accurate reading) they tend to be as firm in their belief as they were in their unbelief, at least in that particular method/reader.

Several of my long-term clients started out this way.  It is almost as if they were going around testing readers because they wanted to find one that could change their views, that they wanted to believe but couldn't let themselves without that personal experience.  Like the person desperately looking for a religion they can believe in while loudly proclaiming their agnosticism or atheism, hoping someone will come along and offer them proof they can accept.

Absent

Edited to add:  I'm not applying this to ALL skeptics, agnostics, or athiests.  Just that one particular type.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 01:15:51 pm by Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED), Reason: to add disclaimer :D » Logged

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Hufflee
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: October 11, 2008, 02:53:34 pm »

Im over stating my certainty yes, but I feel pretty damn confidant, given what is known about memories 'recovered' during hypnotism.  People in a trance state are extremely suggestible.

You seem uncomfortable with *my* cerainty, yet many more outlandish things get posted on ths forum.  Will you be querying all of those?

Not uncomfortable, just curious.

If I end up in a conversation with the people that posted them, yes. I ask questions to learn. I may not agree with your views on everything, but I enjoy hearing different veiwpoints other than mine because they cause me to think. I don't claim to know everything (or even close to everything). When I hear ideas that conflict with my own it challenges me to consider the truth that lies within those different views. Finding it whatever truth there may be, and seeing how it fits or doesn't with what I believe only furthers my own knowledge and spirituality. I believe someone said on another thread somewhere, there is some truth in every religion or non-religion. I have to say that I agree, and my basic purpose in conversing in this forum is to find those truths. Thanks for helping me along on my "journey for the truth." Wink

LadyRaine
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 25, 2009, 06:55:01 pm

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: October 12, 2008, 07:32:53 pm »

I don't believe in reincarnation at all. I feel that everything is happening at the same time but on different frequency levels, we are just

one circle, that's how psychics can read the past , present and future, although Ive only met one person who could accurately read

the future. Wow, I shouldn't say this stuff I'm confusing myself now.Sorry.

Wow i completely agree with this!! i believe in past, present, and future lives in the way of paying karmic debt for old actions to truly move forth into the next "life" a more highly evolved self.  however i don't think that's intended to be literal in the way of "already happened" or "yet to happen"

All three vibrate on different frequency levels just like different parts of the "aura" or "self" do!!  the highest self vibrates on a completely different frequency as the lowest part of oneself ...all at the same time of course.  the past, present, and future vibrate in the same way.... although different things are occuring in each that affect the other, the idea of "time" and "no time" is a lie. 

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)