The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 23, 2021, 07:24:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2021, 07:24:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: In case there weren't enough reason to support Obama...  (Read 15697 times)
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am
United States United States

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Topic Start: August 06, 2008, 02:48:57 pm »

...Walmart hates him.

From the article:
"Last Friday, the Wall Street Journal reported that retailing giant Wal-Mart, concerned about a potential Democratic sweep this fall, has been not-so-subtly indoctrinating managers and department heads about the perils of an Obama presidency."

http://www.newsweek.com/id/150945

Sperran

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: August 06, 2008, 02:50:21 pm »

...Walmart hates him.

From the article:
"Last Friday, the Wall Street Journal reported that retailing giant Wal-Mart, concerned about a potential Democratic sweep this fall, has been not-so-subtly indoctrinating managers and department heads about the perils of an Obama presidency."

Sperran

Wow.  And people worry about the seperation of *church* and state.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 06, 2008, 03:05:30 pm »

Wow.  And people worry about the seperation of *church* and state.

Lots of organizations try and influence how their membership votes.  Unions, companies, NGOs, clubs, etc.  They'll detail key issues for their organization. 

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: August 06, 2008, 03:09:51 pm »

Lots of organizations try and influence how their membership votes.  Unions, companies, NGOs, clubs, etc.  They'll detail key issues for their organization. 

I know.  I just think that outside of political groups, this usually isn't very appropriate.  I'm a member of the British Psychological Society, and there's been stuff going on for ages with the government re: legal stuff relating to psychology.  The BPS still isn't telling members how to vote.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Isis
Journeyman
Last Login:August 29, 2009, 05:18:30 pm

Religion: Pagan (Druidic Witch)

Mother Goddess

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 06, 2008, 03:12:08 pm »

...Walmart hates him.

From the article:

Sperran

So, would this be a valid enough reason to boycott Walmart and start shopping at Target?

Magick is . . . hearing the wind whisper the Earth's secrets or listening to the Moon share Her wisdom.

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. " -Anais Nin, writer
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: August 06, 2008, 03:22:34 pm »

So, would this be a valid enough reason to boycott Walmart and start shopping at Target?

There are plenty of reasons to boycott Walmart without taking their political activities into account.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 06, 2008, 03:26:11 pm »

Actually to boycott any big box store and shop in as much local small shops as possible. (I am aware that in all of champaign Urbana, there is no place to buy underwear (in my size) outside of a department or big box store.  or even a chain store for the smaller sizes.  SOcks, I can do.)

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Isis
Journeyman
Last Login:August 29, 2009, 05:18:30 pm

Religion: Pagan (Druidic Witch)

Mother Goddess

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 06, 2008, 03:33:06 pm »

There are plenty of reasons to boycott Walmart without taking their political activities into account.

This was an attempt to be funny.  I should have put "haha" in there... I definitely agree here.  Based on the treatment of employees (reading journals from employees on other sites) and how my friends have been treated in different departments/areas of the store.. it's despicable, really.

Magick is . . . hearing the wind whisper the Earth's secrets or listening to the Moon share Her wisdom.

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. " -Anais Nin, writer
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #8: August 06, 2008, 03:37:52 pm »

As Lyric said, Walmart has plenty of strikes against it without this issue.  Target is by no means perfect, but at least does donate millions of dollars to charity every year, while Walmart donates almost nothing.

Sperran
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: August 06, 2008, 03:38:51 pm »

As Lyric said, Walmart has plenty of strikes against it without this issue.  Target is by no means perfect, but at least does donate millions of dollars to charity every year, while Walmart donates almost nothing.

Sperran

As far as I can tell, Walmart's favorite charity is itself.

mandrina
High Adept Member

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 06, 2008, 04:53:01 pm »

As far as I can tell, Walmart's favorite charity is itself.
Actually, they give about 2 percent of net profits.  I don't know how that compares to anyone else. (although some searching has target giving 6percent of net profits.

AND:  the local boy and girl scouts like to sell at Walmart because Walmart will match the dollar amount sold by any troop for their 4hour stint.

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 06, 2008, 05:08:55 pm »

Uh, if so, I'd have to also boycott Target for Their political activities, even though I support those actions.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: August 06, 2008, 05:17:25 pm »

Actually, they give about 2 percent of net profits.  I don't know how that compares to anyone else. (although some searching has target giving 6percent of net profits.

AND:  the local boy and girl scouts like to sell at Walmart because Walmart will match the dollar amount sold by any troop for their 4hour stint.

Oh I was being a smartass. I was actually thinking about the tax breaks and shit they get from all the cities. Well, that and the amount of money they save by doing their employees the way they do.

mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 06, 2008, 07:48:02 pm »

Oh I was being a smartass. I was actually thinking about the tax breaks and shit they get from all the cities. Well, that and the amount of money they save by doing their employees the way they do.

Well, if they get the equivalent of more than 2 percent and only give away 2 percent, then heck yeah, I'll continue my boycott.

Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 12, 2008, 10:34:28 pm »

I would point out that, from what I know of Target, they're not really much better on the treatment-of-employees front than Wal-Mart is; virtually all of their non-management hourlies are part-time so they can pay less in bennies (Wal-Mart is only now shifting to that shitty policy).  They pay less than, or approx. equal to, Wal-Mart, w/even less in the way of bennies and less hours for their people. 

I've worked for companies that do that just-under-the-legal-line part-time BS, and it sucks.  They'll get the maximum amount of hours out of you they can while keeping you below the weekly average number of hours you'd need to be legally full-time just so they can f*** you on insurance.  And then, they'll be coming up on the end of the fiscal quarter and decide they're gonna cut you to 15 hours for a few weeks so that your average is low enough, and it just sucks to be you that you've got bills coming due that week.  Hope you don't get evicted, have a nice day. Angry

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.