The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 29, 2020, 02:31:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 02:31:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Frustration is a common theme in my life.  (Read 8523 times)
Alardoo
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 08, 2009, 02:38:23 pm
United States United States

Religion: An eclectic pagan still studying.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 08, 2008, 10:45:55 am »

And with spirituality, the theme has yet to falter. I'm really just overwhelmed, with alot of mixed emotions. For as long as I remember, I was a pretty firm atheist. Having any slight interest in any religion would've been a joke to me. But as of earlier this year, for some reason unknown to me, I began thinking differently, with a more open mind. And I've more or less, broken the barrier into spirituality. I now believe that there is a higher power, I just don't know what it is, or where to find it. And if I do find it, will I recognize it?

A couple of my friends introduced me to Wicca. And I've been so intrigued by it since, that it almost hurts to think about. But, the logical, ex-atheist side of me keeps wanting to reject the beliefs. I'm having a very difficult time wrapping my head around all of this God and Goddess business. Sometime's I'll say to myself, "Wow, this has got to be the religion for me.", but I feel like I might be interested for the wrong reasons.

I also have a deep, and compassionate attraction towards nature. And earth-based religions definitely will be my answer, and in my heart I can confirm that. One of my problems also is, though, that I'm not educated enough about Wicca, or Druidism [which I've also had a recent interst in] perhaps to make a more daring leap into either one of them.

I feel very alone, very confused. I want to find the higher powers, but they're playing an awful game of hide-and-seek. Does anyone have any advice for me, any support, or have felt like they've hit a brick wall before? Anything to just ease some of this tension would help me alot. Thanks.

~Ryan

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 08, 2008, 11:42:21 am »

. I now believe that there is a higher power, I just don't know what it is, or where to find it. And if I do find it, will I recognize it?

Sounds to me like you are overwhelmed. You are at a crossroad, it is normal to feel that way right now. Don't think you have to jump right in to one religion or another, there is no rush at all. Take it as slow as you like. Spirituality is a path, you never know where it may lead. I have been down many spiritual roads in my life, (including atheism) you will probably be down many too. Your choice of religion or tradition right now need not be for a life-time, you are free to step on and off various paths as you please. Think of this time in your life as a spiritual adventure, you are free to get out there and explore various paths. You will know what feels right for you when you find it. But later on, don't be surprised if you feel you need to move on again.

There will be others here I know who can recommend good books to you if you are interested in Wicca or Druidism. They will be along shortly I am sure!

Blessings along your path!
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 08, 2008, 11:43:19 am »

Here are the websites of a couple druidic groups:
www.adf.org
www.druidry.org

And an article comparing the two: http://www.adf.org/about/adf-and-obod.html

I have a couple other sites bookmarked but I'm not on my own computer right now.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
QuercusRobur
Journeyman
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 05:18:37 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Irish Traditionalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 08, 2008, 12:20:07 pm »

I feel very alone, very confused. I want to find the higher powers, but they're playing an awful game of hide-and-seek. Does anyone have any advice for me, any support, or have felt like they've hit a brick wall before? Anything to just ease some of this tension would help me alot.

It always seems confusing at the start.  It took me six months to find my path and dump the wicca stuff.  There's a lot more paths out there than wicca and druidry.  There's reconstructionists and traditional witches as well.  I'd recommend "Pagan Paths" by Pete Jennings.  I haven't read it yet, but I keep seeing it being recommended time and time again.

I also wrote an article about finding your gods and your path.  Pm me with your email address if you want a copy.  If you don't I recommend meditation to help sort yourself out.
hobbitatheart
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 24, 2008, 12:58:08 pm

Religion: random Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 08, 2008, 12:57:03 pm »

Sometime's I'll say to myself, "Wow, this has got to be the religion for me.", but I feel like I might be interested for the wrong reasons.

One of my problems also is, though, that I'm not educated enough about Wicca, or Druidism [which I've also had a recent interst in] perhaps to make a more daring leap into either one of them.

I feel very alone, very confused.

Hello. I think a lot of us on here would be able to relate to what you're saying at least somewhat. Getting interested in a new religion, especially when you really have never been particularly religious, can be very confusing. When it's a religious path that doesn't have an established system of churches where you can go for guidance, and instead leans more on individual study (at least until you find a group of like-minded individuals), it can definitely feel very lonely at times.

I was also first introduced to Paganism through Wicca, about ten years ago. I studied it and liked it for the most part, but knew it wasn't for me. I still haven't yet settled on a specific branch of Paganism, and I may never. I'm comfortable with that. If you're feeling overwhelmed by this, you may want to take a step back from it. Not forever, mind you, just until you feel a bit more collected. Then again, you may just want to focus your energies on reading about both Wicca and Druidism (and anything else that interests you). You don't have to commit to just one any time soon. It may take you years to decide which path is right for you, and there's nothing wrong with that. Read all you can (but be critical of what you read, don't accept things as the complete truth simply because they're in print), keep an open mind, and be honest with yourself. Something this important takes time and patience, but you'll get there eventually. This a good forum to start out on, as well. I haven't been here very long but it's been very informative and interesting. It's a good idea to take advantage of the areas of the forum specifically set aside for beginners. They can give you lots of good ideas about which books to read and which ones to probably avoid. Good luck!

Just curious. . . what are these "wrong reasons"? I think, as long as you truly want to seek a stronger connection with the Divine and the world you live in, your reasons are pretty rightSmiley

"As long as there's cake, there's hope. And there's always cake." - Dean Koontz, Life Expectancy
Alastriona
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 10, 2010, 10:40:53 pm

Religion: Pagan... currently following the Druid path with Wiccan influences

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 08, 2008, 01:21:52 pm »

I also have a deep, and compassionate attraction towards nature. And earth-based religions definitely will be my answer, and in my heart I can confirm that. One of my problems also is, though, that I'm not educated enough about Wicca, or Druidism [which I've also had a recent interst in] perhaps to make a more daring leap into either one of them.

For me, I was the same way for quite some time, and as yourself, I was interested in both Wicca and Druidry, and have finally been able to incorporate both into my spirituality, and feel like this is the right path for myself.  But at the same time, I also want to learn about other Pagan religions as well, and have recently been doing reading on Reconstructionism and Feri, and perhaps even some others.  But the only thing I can really recommend to you is read.  Reading, reading and more reading!  I had wanted to be able to say to myself that I was this, or I was that, but I didn't feel I had the knowledge to claim I was anything at all!  Reading a lot (and this forum itself has helped me greatly as well) and talking to other people, internet research, joining some different organizations, all that helped me significantly to nail down what I wanted to follow.

If you feel you want to take a leap towards Wicca or Druidry, take it!  But make sure you study, practice and read as much as you can.  Use this forum or other groups, websites, blog sites, etc that you can.  I have found that most people who follow a Pagan religion are really open to other people's confusions or willingness to learn, and often give some of the best advice you can get.  Once you start getting the knowledge under your belt, you will start to catch on to other things, and see things quite differently than you do now, and then you'll have a good idea of which path to follow. However, I had been searching for my distinct path for around 10 years, when I also, was introduced to Wicca from a few friends.  It can take a long time to choose a path, and even after you feel you have chosen one, there are other paths that you find intriguing as well.  And that's ok!  Take your time with it!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 01:24:44 pm by Alastriona » Logged
Alardoo
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 08, 2009, 02:38:23 pm

Religion: An eclectic pagan still studying.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 08, 2008, 05:57:35 pm »

For me, I was the same way for quite some time, and as yourself, I was interested in both Wicca and Druidry, and have finally been able to incorporate both into my spirituality, and feel like this is the right path for myself. 

Story time.

Alright. So. Wierd day, today. I went to the park, and I was sitting on a bench observing nature. It felt a little cliche, but I asked for a sign. And the breeze blew really hard. I asked again, for a clearer sign, and an acorn fell near me. So that was definitely an enlightening experience for me. Then on the way home, it started pouring rain out of nowhere.

Back to my main reason for posting. I wanted to ask, how do you incorporate both Wicca and Druidry together? I feel a bit nosy, but do you believe in the two gods? I know that both religions share that aspect, but Druidism is more free to people who might believe in one, or many more. Would you mind explaining for me? Smiley
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 09, 2008, 12:59:25 am »

And with spirituality, the theme has yet to falter. I'm really just overwhelmed, with alot of mixed emotions. For as long as I remember, I was a pretty firm atheist. Having any slight interest in any religion would've been a joke to me. But as of earlier this year, for some reason unknown to me, I began thinking differently, with a more open mind. And I've more or less, broken the barrier into spirituality. I now believe that there is a higher power, I just don't know what it is, or where to find it. And if I do find it, will I recognize it?

A couple of my friends introduced me to Wicca. And I've been so intrigued by it since, that it almost hurts to think about. But, the logical, ex-atheist side of me keeps wanting to reject the beliefs. I'm having a very difficult time wrapping my head around all of this God and Goddess business. Sometime's I'll say to myself, "Wow, this has got to be the religion for me.", but I feel like I might be interested for the wrong reasons.

I feel very alone, very confused. I want to find the higher powers, but they're playing an awful game of hide-and-seek. Does anyone have any advice for me, any support, or have felt like they've hit a brick wall before? Anything to just ease some of this tension would help me alot. Thanks.

~Ryan

That sceptical mind can come in handy.  Just allow yourself some time.  Do some research, there are good articles here, and links to sites, and books that may give you what you are looking for.  Also, several topics have been made on just this sort of thing, so keep your eyes out for them.  Read up, take your time deciding what it is exactly you believe. 

In fact, my suggestion would be to simply make a short list of beliefs you currently have.  Then, figure out what you are interested in.  Make your priorities, then do the research.  Basically, look inside yourself first, then flesh out with other sources.  You don't need to jump right into a religion for the time being.  Experiment a little until you find what you are looking for.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 09, 2008, 01:00:52 am »

Sounds to me like you are overwhelmed. You are at a crossroad, it is normal to feel that way right now. Don't think you have to jump right in to one religion or another, there is no rush at all. Take it as slow as you like. Spirituality is a path, you never know where it may lead. I have been down many spiritual roads in my life, (including atheism) you will probably be down many too. Your choice of religion or tradition right now need not be for a life-time, you are free to step on and off various paths as you please. Think of this time in your life as a spiritual adventure, you are free to get out there and explore various paths. You will know what feels right for you when you find it. But later on, don't be surprised if you feel you need to move on again.

There will be others here I know who can recommend good books to you if you are interested in Wicca or Druidism. They will be along shortly I am sure!

Blessings along your path!

I really must remember my promise to start reading through all posts in a subject before posting myself.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
aalys
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:40:41 pm

Religion: Yet to be determined

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 09, 2008, 10:13:32 pm »

I also have a deep, and compassionate attraction towards nature. And earth-based religions definitely will be my answer, and in my heart I can confirm that.

That, with the previously atheistic trends, leads me to suggest you take a look at pantheism. It meshes quite well with Wicca--I've even written an article about it here. Good luck, but don't rush things. Things will pan out the way they're supposed to.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: August 09, 2008, 10:32:52 pm »

It meshes quite well with Wicca...

Pantheism might mesh fairly well with Neo-Wicca, but it really doesn't mesh all that well with more traditional forms of Wicca.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Cent
Master Member
Last Login:May 01, 2011, 05:10:44 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Of the Earth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 10, 2008, 09:13:38 pm »

....overwhelmed, with alot of mixed emotions. For as long as I remember, I was a pretty firm atheist. Having any slight interest in any religion would've been a joke to me...*snip*...a more open mind. And I've more or less, broken the barrier into spirituality. I now believe that there is a higher power, I just don't know what it is, or where to find it. And if I do find it, will I recognize it?

Seeing self as frustrated, overwhelmed, with mixed emotions... to me can be turned into a positive and used as such.
You are asking questions, seeking, looking for what it is that is drawing you, a journey of discovery.
Is it really Religion that you seek? Is there a need for a structured course... path/road... or study?
What is spirituality to one, is different to another. A higher power of unknown eludes at present but you will find the right road to take and you will know it from within.

Like most religions, there is usually a Set of rules, laws... dieties. Reading/study will either feel right or it won't. You will learn soon enough when you hit a dead end or it just doesnt' fit You. Try hard not to fit yourself into a mould, when it feels right and things begin to all fall into place naturally you feel settled inside.
Interested for the wrong reasons is something you will have to muse over from within.

~Ryan

The following is SO overused that it goes un-noticed or disregarded.
The answers come from within.

To find yourself, your talents, what draws you, what fits and feels right for you ... is more important than trying to match yourself to a specific.
There is no hurry to Lable yourself. Excuse the term Lable, I'm not big on Lables as they can be limiting, containing, at times stifle.
Think outside the box, as they say. Find who you are, then perhaps you will stumble upon a study that jumps out at you.
The journey is as important as the goal. *another overused phrase* Wink

Story time.
So. Wierd day, today. I went to the park, and I was sitting on a bench observing nature. It felt a little cliche, but I asked for a sign. And the breeze blew really hard. I asked again, for a clearer sign, and an acorn fell near me. So that was definitely an enlightening experience for me. Then on the way home, it started pouring rain out of nowhere.

*smiles*
So far you have mentioned Nature, Earth... Nature again. Wind/air, gravity/Earth energies, a seed/life.
I'll assume you see this for yourself.
Perhaps go back to the 4 basic elements of Earth, Air, Fire and Water. Grow upon that. *if you recognize these elements*
If you do... what do you see inbetween each? *if anything*
How do they relate to each other, in mind, body and spirit? How they act upon the Earth itself and used to manifest workings.

Just some thoughts... as for whatever reason your post jumped out at me.
Happy Journey's Alardoo. Breath deep, smile and move forward with an adventurous heart.

Energy Follows Attention
Alastriona
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 10, 2010, 10:40:53 pm

Religion: Pagan... currently following the Druid path with Wiccan influences

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 11, 2008, 02:14:38 am »

Back to my main reason for posting. I wanted to ask, how do you incorporate both Wicca and Druidry together? I feel a bit nosy, but do you believe in the two gods? I know that both religions share that aspect, but Druidism is more free to people who might believe in one, or many more. Would you mind explaining for me? Smiley

Druidry is not as much a specific religion as much as it is a spiritual path, in other words, it can be combined with other Pagan religions.   However, I don't think there is really a set way in which you have to mesh the two together, but more of which elements of each religion you want to incorporate together.  They do have their similarities, a reverence for the earth, the eight seasonal celebrations, the use of a magic circle, and the four elements of earth, air, fire and water, etc.  As far as deities are concerned... Wiccans are more God and Goddess whilst Druids tend to be more polytheistic, but it would really be up to the individual to follow the direction they feel more comfortable with.

However, while I have been interested in Wicca for many years, it's only been a few that I have begun to incorporate druidry into my path, and still meshing things up myself!  There is no specific thing you absolutely have to believe in.  Not all Wiccans believe the same things and nor do all Druids.  The path you choose to take is yours and only yours, and finding someone who's path fits the exact mold of yours will almost be impossible.  The basics will be the same but what you do with them and what you take from other religions will be your own.  You really have to focus on what you feel, and move from their.  As someone else said to you earlier, the answers come from within!  (They  really do!)

hobbitatheart
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 24, 2008, 12:58:08 pm

Religion: random Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 11, 2008, 06:32:43 pm »

I wanted to ask, how do you incorporate both Wicca and Druidry together? I feel a bit nosy, but do you believe in the two gods? I know that both religions share that aspect, but Druidism is more free to people who might believe in one, or many more. Would you mind explaining for me? Smiley

I've come across a lot of people who use the term "Druidcraft" to describe their mix of Wicca and Druidism. I don't know a great deal about it, but it might be a helpful term for a google search.

"As long as there's cake, there's hope. And there's always cake." - Dean Koontz, Life Expectancy
whoa_josh
Last Login:August 11, 2008, 08:52:34 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 11, 2008, 08:49:09 pm »

~Ryan

Feeling this way seems be a very common occurrence when following a spiritual path. We all hit a brick wall once or twice in our spiritual journey. I don't know if I can count all my head on collisions on one hand. But I do know that this is completely normal. I don't know why it happens, I just know it does.
 I understand how you feel when you say the logical side of you tries to reject what you are learning. I was raised in a deeply Christian family growing up, during my teenage years I found Wicca. I was very very intrigued by this religion. I felt as though it was calling to me. But my Christian background was always attempting to disagree or reject what I was learning. It takes a while, but eventually in practice I started to come across things that would happen, feelings and emotions that MADE me believe. How could I have not seen it before? And things like that. It all just starts to fall into place, that is, if you are meant to follow this path.
 Keep in mind, no two people can follow the exact same spiritual path. Human beings are so different, so diverse, that it makes perfect sense for there to be more than one right spiritual path to choose. Christan, Wiccan, Pagan, Buddhist, Catholic, Athiest. You just have to find what is right for you, where you fit. And if it's right, things will just start falling into place. It will LET you in.  If it makes you a better person, a more spiritual person, a happier person, then that is what is right for you.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)