The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2020, 03:28:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 03:28:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gods and Time  (Read 3701 times)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: August 11, 2008, 08:21:03 pm »

This thread was inspired by conversation in this one.

How do you think the Gods perceive time?  Do they perceive it the way we do or do they perceive it differently?  Do they exist within time as we know it or do they exist outside of it?

And while I'm at it, I'll throw this one in:

Is time linear or cyclical?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 11, 2008, 08:33:38 pm »

How do you think the Gods perceive time?  Do they perceive it the way we do or do they perceive it differently?  Do they exist within time as we know it or do they exist outside of it?

The way I've always seen it, They exist "outside of time" as such, but can "peek in" at various intervals to observe, intervene, or whatever.

What do you mean by time as cyclical?  I've always thought of it as either linear (not usually my view), or all occurring somewhat simultaneously.
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 11, 2008, 09:04:04 pm »

I'm reminded of a quote (but forget the attribution): "The only reason for Time is to keep everything from happening at once." (Might be Douglas Adams, actually...)

I tend to lean toward the "cyclical" camp. Although, time is always moving--the Buddhist proverb explains, "You can never step in the same river twice." The water that was there a moment ago isn't the water that's there right now.

But perhaps if you could travel backward/sideways, you could find that very same river again. Perhaps. Not in Buddha's time, though. :-)

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 11, 2008, 09:06:29 pm »

How do you think the Gods perceive time? 

[...]

If you've ever read Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun tetralogy and it's brilliant Coda Urth of the New Sun, I believe that the gods do exist outside of time.  To them, Time is somewhat similar to a road.  They can walk any direction they please in time.

That said, I do tend to think of time as somewhat linear, but the universe itself as somewhat cyclical.  It makes sense to me that the universe is cyclical, since I see nature itself as going through cycles of life, death, and rebirth, so why shouldn't the universe itself go through some cycle of rapid expansion, evolution, and eventual contraction to a new big bang?  Yeah, yeah...it's pulled from fantasy literature; I don't care...it still struck me as making sense. Cheesy

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 12, 2008, 12:25:28 am »

It makes sense to me that the universe is cyclical, since I see nature itself as going through cycles of life, death, and rebirth, so why shouldn't the universe itself go through some cycle of rapid expansion, evolution, and eventual contraction to a new big bang?  Yeah, yeah...it's pulled from fantasy literature; I don't care...it still struck me as making sense. Cheesy

Shocked

That's exactly how I view the universe. I've never before come across anyone who has thought along the same lines.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 12, 2008, 10:04:24 am »

Do they exist within time as we know it or do they exist outside of it?

I believe that the Gods are within time as we know it, largely because I believe time is an intrinsic property of existence. That is, if something exists at all, it exists in the flow of time.

I view time as linear and chaotic; I don't believe in the Many Worlds theory of probability, for one thing. I don't think the future is knowable with certainty, and I doubt that time travel is possible even for the Gods -- changing the time property of an existent object would be as difficult as changing the gravity exerted by a specific mass (and as pointless, IMO).
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 15, 2008, 10:35:16 pm »

Some Gods are in sequence with our perceptions, some are out. Some are time itself.

I think of time as being more spiral actually. But I have discussed that at length in other posts so I won't go into it all again here, only to say that at various points on the spiral you are closer to other points (in time.)
Caomi_Brannon
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 11:46:07 am

Religion: Leanaí Laochra: Eireannach Tradition

I write, therefore I live.

Blog entries (1)

amma.dennis

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 16, 2008, 02:26:00 am »

I don't think gods exist in the time we perceive. They are time. They make time. They can speed it up or slow it down. They have control over time, manipulate it. They are not subject to its rules.

BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 30, 2008, 08:09:57 am »

How do you think the Gods perceive time?  Do they perceive it the way we do or do they perceive it differently?

I thing it varies from deity to deity. I conceive of deities as conscious physical systems at differing scales. I think that the perception of time is related to scale because I think it is related to the experience of events by a consciousness. Very small things experience very small events that may be more closely spaced in time than those experienced by things at a greater scale. At its ultimate level I am a panentheist and believe that the conscious universe experiences all of time simultaneously.

A point on which I am far less sure of the details is the extent to which a consciousness is able to appreciate things that are internal to its physical manifestation. I know that I do not apprehend the molecular processes within me and so cannot claim to perceive time on the scale that these events take place. They are internal to me and opaque to me conscious exxperience. Is this the same for all consciousnesses? Really not so sure on that one.

Do they exist within time as we know it or do they exist outside of it?

I would say yes. I am a materialist and do not believe that anything can be said to meaningfully exist outside of time, as I understand time to be integral to physical manifestation. Things can be timeless to the extent that they are unmanifest (eg. ideas), but not outside of time IMHO.

At its final level I see time as an indivisible unity, neither linear nor cyclical. An individual consciousness's experience of time would appear to be necessarily linear (on the basis of my limited understanding of complexity theory and its related mathematical expression)
, but I'm not sure I would fully comit to that assertion. Certainly, my experience of time is arguablely linear. Arguable to the extent that the past and future are both perceptible to me with decresing accuracy as the distance in time from the conscious now increases. Mind you, none of this precludes the existence of a finite number of cycles within that ultimate frame of reference.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)