The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 28, 2020, 05:19:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2020, 05:19:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What is a Fluffy Bunny? an FAQ I found  (Read 12990 times)
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: August 17, 2008, 11:22:53 am »

It comes from people.  Why would pagans be better than anyone else?

The're not of course. It's human nature, but I don't have to like it.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 17, 2008, 11:39:41 am »

It comes from people.  Why would pagans be better than anyone else?

Right, they're not. But the implication, when people use derogatory terms to describe others (even if the others in question are idiots), is that they *are better than anyone else, or that some are better than others. That kind of divisiveness hurts everyone who practices a non-mainstream religion, or a different walk of a particular path, b/c it creates stereotypes. It's the exact same thing as Catholics who consider non-Catholics not really Christians, Christians who look down on Jews, or Orthodox Jews who look down on Reform Jews, you know? It's an immature understanding of the world and the people in it to expect everyone to be the same, at the same time. Reacting in fear to differentness (which to me is what it all comes down to, really) or in irritation to stupidness really just shows the limitations of the reactor.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 17, 2008, 11:49:50 am »

Right, they're not. But the implication, when people use derogatory terms to describe others (even if the others in question are idiots), is that they *are better than anyone else, or that some are better than others. That kind of divisiveness hurts everyone who practices a non-mainstream religion, or a different walk of a particular path, b/c it creates stereotypes. It's the exact same thing as Catholics who consider non-Catholics not really Christians, Christians who look down on Jews, or Orthodox Jews who look down on Reform Jews, you know? It's an immature understanding of the world and the people in it to expect everyone to be the same, at the same time. Reacting in fear to differentness (which to me is what it all comes down to, really) or in irritation to stupidness really just shows the limitations of the reactor.

Ah, Grasshopper.....
who then are the ignorant ones? The ones being called ignorant or the ones calling the others ignorant?
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #18: August 17, 2008, 11:54:19 am »

Ah, Grasshopper.....
who then are the ignorant ones? The ones being called ignorant or the ones calling the others ignorant?

lol...Master, I must meditate on this....

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: August 17, 2008, 02:30:31 pm »

Well, that is exactly the point, there is no such thing as a "fluffy bunny". It is only the person using the term who sees another as a fluffy bunny.   A fluffy bunny only exists in the eye of the name-caller

Will you be abandoning the use of all subjective terms?  Or just the ones that have never offended anyone? Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: August 17, 2008, 02:45:28 pm »

Will you be abandoning the use of all subjective terms?  Or just the ones that have never offended anyone? Smiley

Which would be a good trick, given that there are people that can get offended by EVERYTHING.

including non-subjective terms!

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 05:22:53 pm

Religion: Catholic

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: August 17, 2008, 02:54:03 pm »

Reacting in fear to differentness (which to me is what it all comes down to, really) or in irritation to stupidness really just shows the limitations of the reactor.

Yeah, when I say the prosperity Gospel people aren't Christians, it's not a reaction in fear to differentness; it's that I think they're perverting central parts of Christ's message and that their beliefs are totally heretical to any recognizable form of Christianity.

And when I call Matt Hale a racist and a bigot and an idiot and a sorry excuse for a human being, it's not because I'm afraid of his differentness or his church's differentness. You better believe it's because I look down on him, and I "judge" him, and anyone who refuses to? Is either a moral coward or is one of Hale's ilk.
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #22: August 17, 2008, 03:01:21 pm »

It's the exact same thing as Catholics who consider non-Catholics not really Christians, Christians who look down on Jews, or Orthodox Jews who look down on Reform Jews, you know? It's an immature understanding of the world and the people in it to expect everyone to be the same, at the same time. Reacting in fear to differentness (which to me is what it all comes down to, really) or in irritation to stupidness really just shows the limitations of the reactor.

Reacting in irritation to stupidness the very first time shows the limitations of the reactor.  Reacting to stupidness when wisdom has been offered in its place again and again shows the limitations of the dummy causing the reaction. Cheesy

And, in my own experience at least, it's normally NON-Catholics who say that CATHOLICS aren't really Christians.  Most of the Catholics I know are much more willing to accept Protestants as fellow Christians than the Protestants I know are to accept Catholics.

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: August 17, 2008, 03:40:32 pm »

Reacting in irritation to stupidness the very first time shows the limitations of the reactor.  Reacting to stupidness when wisdom has been offered in its place again and again shows the limitations of the dummy causing the reaction. Cheesy

And, in my own experience at least, it's normally NON-Catholics who say that CATHOLICS aren't really Christians.  Most of the Catholics I know are much more willing to accept Protestants as fellow Christians than the Protestants I know are to accept Catholics.

Well, if you are actually offering information/wisdom to the dummy, then you are still reacting in some form of irritation, even if it is a patient form.  The only way to not react in irritation, is if you are equally or less informed yourself, and actually agree with the person.

And IME, in regards to the second part of your post, that is the case.  Catholics may have stricter standards in some cases than Protestants, but this doesn't tend to be one of them.  Then again, there are always some exceptions to the general rule.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #24: August 17, 2008, 04:52:31 pm »

Yeah, when I say the prosperity Gospel people aren't Christians, it's not a reaction in fear to differentness; it's that I think they're perverting central parts of Christ's message and that their beliefs are totally heretical to any recognizable form of Christianity.

yeah, but you know I think that's different. You aren't reacting to something you don't like, you are reacting to something you know is wrong, which to me is a lot different. So when someone says to me, "you aren't a witch b/c you_______", I *know that's wrong; it's not just my experience or how I feel. I suppose you could say that the other person *knows they're right too, but then you have to define your terms better, and hopefully everyone has an enlightening dialog (that's what generally happens around here, anyway, as you know). To me, the key to using terms better is thinking about what they mean, not just to me, but to others as well. So when someone says something you've never heard before, (or maybe you've heard 7 zillion times and you are really sick of it) you have to think about it and decide how it applies to you and your situation. Is this person saying things that are straight up hateful? Factually inaccurate? Am I sure, or is it just that it rubs me the wrong way? It requires self-reflection and actual research and a willingness to have an honest discussion, and ime that's where a lot people fall down and just start using pejorative terms.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: August 17, 2008, 04:54:07 pm »

I think it was very informative. its just a real shame that we have to be so judgemental of the way others do things that we have to come up with classifications like fluffy bunny in order to put them down. sometimes my veiws probably do fall under the fluffy bunny typecasting because I have in the past found many good clues and hints to my own magical growth through fiction books and through movies but I also know enough not to believe everything I read or see on the screen too. I really hate that we find the need to look down our noses at people who are not at our place of growth or do not practice the craft as we do. But I guess that is part of being Human.

What you are talking about with regards to your own spiritual growth is a bit different, though, from what is typically classified as a fluffy bunny.  You are taking something from a book or movie, which resonates with you.  

If I understood correctly, you do not take a whole movie or book as the basis for your religion, nor do you take a fictional account, and see it as factual.  This is what qualifies one to be a fluffy bunny.  I mean just about everyone I have ever met, has found something in at least one movie or book, in their lifetime that makes sense.  It doesn't mean that they take the whole movie or book, and base their entire relgious/spiritual experience around it.

Also, I tend to see a difference between fluffies, and newbies.  You only become a fluffy, IMO, after repeated attempts to correct misinformation you have and/or are giving out.  For example, someone telling me that I cannot be pagan, because I eat meat, or because I do believe in causing harm to someone who is threatening myself or my family before they can do so.  This person I would classify as a fluffy, if they had already been told that not all pagans are vegetarians and not all pagans follow the Rede or anything similar.  However, if the person after having been informed of this had a more correct view of pagans, and quit saying such things, then they would not.

I think it has to do with the willingness to learn, rather than just straight lack of knowledge.Those who lack knowledge, are simply newbies.  Those who are unwilling to learn, are fluffies.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #26: August 17, 2008, 04:57:41 pm »

Well, if you are actually offering information/wisdom to the dummy, then you are still reacting in some form of irritation, even if it is a patient form.  The only way to not react in irritation, is if you are equally or less informed yourself, and actually agree with the person.

well, what  I do is just stop reacting at all-I end the conversation and move along.  When people are uninterested in deepening and widening their pov, I don't feel it is my moral responsibility to do that for them, to "set them straight" as it were. Especially if I have taken the time to really try and understand where they are coming from, and have met the criteria I set for that analysis (see my post below), and they clearly have not. I have lots and lots of more fun things to do Smiley
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 05:00:08 pm by rose » Logged

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #27: August 17, 2008, 05:18:40 pm »

I think it has to do with the willingness to learn, rather than just straight lack of knowledge.Those who lack knowledge, are simply newbies.  Those who are unwilling to learn, are fluffies.

I understand that way of looking at it, but too often I see it used a pejorative label by people who don't want or don't know how to have a real conversation, but do really need for everyone to be in a category. Which is why I don't personally use it, or put much stock by the term.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: August 17, 2008, 05:31:08 pm »

I understand that way of looking at it, but too often I see it used a pejorative label by people who don't want or don't know how to have a real conversation, but do really need for everyone to be in a category. Which is why I don't personally use it, or put much stock by the term.

I try not to use it, but I do use it.  Sometimes some of the things they say sound so cute, that the term just fits.  Even though the person can be annoying.

My Writings So Far
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 10:47:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #29: August 17, 2008, 05:31:20 pm »

I find it sad that this sort of snootiness came from within Paganism itself. 

Perhaps, but as Everfool notes, Pagans are people too. Also, I get tired of having Pagan religions seen by the world as whatever the loud fluff bunnies (or whatever one wishes to call the group) say. Fluff bunny is a rude label, but so are all the alternatives (white-lighter, idiot, ignorant, etc.). Undecided

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)