The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 29, 2020, 11:56:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2020, 11:56:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What is a Fluffy Bunny? an FAQ I found  (Read 12094 times)
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #45: August 18, 2008, 11:51:56 am »

I find most people who could be accused of being fluffy get upset at this.  I'm strangely able to live with the suffering of others. Smiley

lol...yeah, b/c you are a meanie poopoohead, that's why Cheesy

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #46: August 19, 2008, 01:57:05 am »

Such people aren't usually considered fluff bunnies -- at least not by the "willful ignorance" definition we usually use.  For example, someone who believes that 9 million witches were killed during the so-called "Burning Times" because they read it in a book is only a fluff bunny if he/she refuses to accept the fact that this is not so when others tell him and present reasonable evidence to show their view is correct. Note, however, that people are not obligated to do his research for him (pointing him to correct info is enough).

Part of that was my point.  And what I tend to do, is exactly htat point them to the appropriate resources.  Here it's easy, there are others who are willing to do the same.  However, in most places I've been in, there are so many who post around me, that have the attitude of "You're an idiot, go find someone else to bother", that the person quite often misses the one or two who are actually making an attempt to show them where to find "good" information.  There are those who will see the sites, and say "well what exactly does it say in that site", those I tell to look for themselves, and if they refuse to I don't bother with them.  But the ones who miss it just because there are so many who just want to make themselves feel superior by acting like jerks, just... grr (I don't know what else to say here... at least not without getting pounced on).

This, I will say, is probably the only site I have ever seen that does not have the problem I'm talking about.  If people are not inclined to help, they don't aggravate.  They just bow out or talk about something else, instead.  It's one of the biggest reasons that I have actually stayed, and actually like this site.  Those unwilling or unable to help, don't just sit there and start in bashing the person, or their ideas.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #47: August 19, 2008, 02:12:24 am »

This is a really important point, and a common problem, in all areas of life. We are so accustomed to being fed information; it's how most people are taught, in school. Critical thinking is a skill, and not everyone has it, or is interested in learning it. The hard thing for me about this is that I'm a teacher; I like explaining things I know, and I like learning new things, and I'm willing to take risks to facilitate that. So when I run into someone who seems to want to learn but *isn't willing to take risks, who doesn't want to take responsibility for their own learning, ie asking questions, or being willing to risk being wrong, it's very discouraging. I guess in defining nasty terms, like fluffy bunny, that's who I would say is one (but not out loud Wink). However, I prefer Randall's and EF's use of it as a label for texts or schools of thought, not people.

I agree with you on how discouraging it is.  And I understand it too.  Part of my path is about leading people to find the right resources, but not spoonfeeding them information.  I have to fight the part of me, quite often, that just simply does not want to give up on a person, or their lack of willingness to work for their knowledge.  I would also completely agree with you on who to define as a fluffy bunny.  And, yes, I try to use it to refer to the school of thought, as well.  Although, when you label the school of thought, you also end up labeling the person with it (whether directly "You are fluffy", or not "Your ideas are fluffy").

By the way, I don't think your stance on the issue is wrong.  I would rather see more like you, who don't just start bashing the other person, when there are others trying to help them.  There are certainly times (more so recently) that I just do not have the time or inclination to help someone.  And just bow out.  But, (and yes, I do realize that I could drop this part of my path, it just wouldn't feel right to me to do so) it is what the "pathfinder" part of my religion is about.  I do not feel that it is anyone else's obligation to do so, but it is mine.  However, I'm not going to spend three hours straight expaining something to someone who is unwilling to help themselves (the thing I most commonly say is "I expect my children to learn things for themselves, I expect no less from any teen or adult").

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #48: August 19, 2008, 10:45:18 am »

This, I will say, is probably the only site I have ever seen that does not have the problem I'm talking about.  If people are not inclined to help, they don't aggravate.  They just bow out or talk about something else, instead.  It's one of the biggest reasons that I have actually stayed, and actually like this site.  Those unwilling or unable to help, don't just sit there and start in bashing the person, or their ideas.

yeah, there is an unusually low incidence of drama here, for so many witches in one location Wink

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #49: August 19, 2008, 10:54:52 am »

I agree with you on how discouraging it is.  And I understand it too.  Part of my path is about leading people to find the right resources, but not spoonfeeding them information.  I have to fight the part of me, quite often, that just simply does not want to give up on a person, or their lack of willingness to work for their knowledge.  I would also completely agree with you on who to define as a fluffy bunny.  And, yes, I try to use it to refer to the school of thought, as well.  Although, when you label the school of thought, you also end up labeling the person with it (whether directly "You are fluffy", or not "Your ideas are fluffy").

right, which is why, in general, I would keep any such labeling to myself, as my own opinion, and understand it as such-what's true for me, until proven otherwise. I don't feel the need to share *all my opinions, fortunately Wink

By the way, I don't think your stance on the issue is wrong.  I would rather see more like you, who don't just start bashing the other person, when there are others trying to help them.  There are certainly times (more so recently) that I just do not have the time or inclination to help someone.  And just bow out.  But, (and yes, I do realize that I could drop this part of my path, it just wouldn't feel right to me to do so) it is what the "pathfinder" part of my religion is about.  I do not feel that it is anyone else's obligation to do so, but it is mine.  However, I'm not going to spend three hours straight expaining something to someone who is unwilling to help themselves (the thing I most commonly say is "I expect my children to learn things for themselves, I expect no less from any teen or adult").

I'm interested in learning more about your religion...feel free to PM or email me, if you want to share Smiley
I have a similar sense of obligation about helping people learn things. I never really thought of it as part of my spirituality, more as a part of my code of ethics. As a teacher, I consider myself a facilitator of experience, for the most part. And for the most part, I learn best when people *show me what they have to teach, either through their own experience or other resources they have to share.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: August 20, 2008, 12:34:26 am »

yeah, there is an unusually low incidence of drama here, for so many witches in one location Wink

Hehe.  Are you sure that the word witches wasn't a bit of an intentional Randallism?   Wink  *points to self...* Grin

My Writings So Far
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #51: August 20, 2008, 11:01:53 am »

Hehe.  Are you sure that the word witches wasn't a bit of an intentional Randallism?   Wink  *points to self...* Grin

lol...it does kinda go with the territory, I guess, huh? Cheesy

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #52: August 21, 2008, 01:42:43 am »

right, which is why, in general, I would keep any such labeling to myself, as my own opinion, and understand it as such-what's true for me, until proven otherwise. I don't feel the need to share *all my opinions, fortunately Wink

I'm interested in learning more about your religion...feel free to PM or email me, if you want to share Smiley
I have a similar sense of obligation about helping people learn things. I never really thought of it as part of my spirituality, more as a part of my code of ethics. As a teacher, I consider myself a facilitator of experience, for the most part. And for the most part, I learn best when people *show me what they have to teach, either through their own experience or other resources they have to share.

There was a topic in here somewhere about codifying one's religion.  At the moment most of my ideas are just bouncing around in my head.  In a nutshell though, pathfinding is about finding your own path, and aiding others in finding theirs.  I think I've said this in another topic, before, but I've even led others to Christianity since following this path.  Basically it's correcting misinformation when I can, helping others find information when they can't, etc.  This doesn't mean telling them, or really leading or teaching them.

I see it as having a map with millions of different paths on it, which occassionally intersect.  I hand the person the map, and a way to get in touch with me.  If they have trouble or get lost, they know they can get ahold of me, and I will help them to the best of my ability.  But they have to do the legwork, they have to find the resources, they have to do the research, etc.

I am working, at intervals, on a website that describes "Pathfinding", and also will be of a bit of help in actually working it.  (Links, some short descriptions of as many paths as I can find, etc.)  I'm still barely in the design stage yet, and trying to do some research, not only on the religions themselves, but on sites, etc. and on how I want it to look and feel.

My Writings So Far
nikkiwitch
Journeyman
Last Login:December 20, 2008, 03:51:14 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #53: September 21, 2008, 03:59:55 pm »

I think it was very informative. its just a real shame that we have to be so judgemental of the way others do things that we have to come up with classifications like fluffy bunny in order to put them down. sometimes my veiws probably do fall under the fluffy bunny typecasting because I have in the past found many good clues and hints to my own magical growth through fiction books and through movies but I also know enough not to believe everything I read or see on the screen too. I really hate that we find the need to look down our noses at people who are not at our place of growth or do not practice the craft as we do. But I guess that is part of being Human.

I agree. We should be teaching instead of having humor,we were all once there.

My cats are my kids.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:May 26, 2020, 06:18:11 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #54: September 21, 2008, 06:51:37 pm »

I agree. We should be teaching instead of having humor,we were all once there.

As many of TC members define "fluff bunny" (someone who is willfully ignorant), no we were not once all there. We all started out not knowing much and even learning incorrect things, but we did not hang on to those incorrect things in the face of reality.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)