The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 03, 2020, 01:18:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 03, 2020, 01:18:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You NOT Reading?  (Read 22879 times)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: April 10, 2007, 08:53:24 am »

This is a campanion thread to "What are you Reading Now."  The original thread can be found here:

http://www.ecauldron.net/mb/index.php?webtag=TCSOCIAL

So which books do you avoid for whatever reason?

I don't read westerns, science fiction and the vast majority of romance novels due to lack of interest.

Political commentary because the people who write them are more than likely lying.

I avoid the Left Behind books and Christian Fiction in general because I don't like reading a book that kindly reminds me I'm going to hell on every f'en page.

A lot of the stuff in the New Age section is too fluffy for my taste.  I only go there because that's where they keep the books on ghosts.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 10, 2007, 09:03:04 am »

This is a campanion thread to "What are you Reading Now."  The original thread can be found here:

I don't read almost any *religious* fiction, regardless of the religion in question.  I don't like when the message is more important than the story.

Anything with revisionist history.  (note: not /alternate/ history.  That can be fun.  But it has to be clearly /alternate/ and not "hey, we think this is what really happened")

Um.  Westerns.  most "general fiction", actually.  If there's not a murder or something fantastic going on, I'm not that interested.

Horror.  Especially blood&gore horror.  It either grosses me out, bores me silly, or leaves me sitting in the light twitching for hours.  I'm far too suggestible as it is.  Things meant to freak me out?  Not a good plan.

All that said, I'm part of a writer's critique group, and I've read all KINDS of things for them that I wouldn't read on my own.  Some of it's even interesting! Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: April 10, 2007, 09:24:40 am »

Anything with revisionist history.  (note: not /alternate/ history.  That can be fun.  But it has to be clearly /alternate/ and not "hey, we think this is what really happened")

---Snip---

All that said, I'm part of a writer's critique group, and I've read all KINDS of things for them that I wouldn't read on my own.  Some of it's even interesting! Cheesy

I'm adding revisionist history to my list (how could I've forgotten that Huh).  I've said it before and I'll say it again: this genre (maybe in combination with religious fiction [think DVC]) needs a good parody.  I have to get around to writing it one of these days, and since I found the ideal biblical text to base it on I could start the major "research" for it any time if I wanted to.  But I agree with you that alternative history is fun.  I could spend all day conimplating all the "what ifs" of history.

That writer's critique group sounds fun *stores idea in the back of my head*

My Spiritual Blog
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: April 10, 2007, 09:29:00 am »

I'm adding revisionist history to my list (how could I've forgotten that Huh).  I've said it before and I'll say it again: this genre (maybe in combination with religious fiction [think DVC]) needs a good parody.  I have to get around to writing it one of these days, and since I found the ideal biblical text to base it on I could start the major "research" for it any time if I wanted to.  But I agree with you that alternative history is fun.  I could spend all day conimplating all the "what ifs" of history.

That writer's critique group sounds fun *stores idea in the back of my head*

Being in a critique group has REALLY helped me write better.  Because they can not only see that *something's not right*, but they can put language to the problem and offer ideas.  Which most readers just can't do.  (and they can also say why something is good, too).

though that parody idea sounds .. wonderful ...... Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: April 10, 2007, 09:31:02 am »

I was going to say there's not a lot I actively avoid, but then you mentioned Left Behind.  I have intentionally avoided those because everything I've heard about them indicates that I would only want to throw them across the room and probably wouldn't enjoy them, so I should probably just spare myself and the books the trouble.  Then I realized that it's what Shadow said:  I dislike fiction where the message is more important than the story.  (Well, not just books, but you know.)  It's fine for a book to have a message, that's not a bad thing at all.  But when the message takes over, it's like, why didn't you just write a sermon in the first place?  You know?

I also dislike intensely nonfiction with an obvious agenda that is blatant and transparent about its attempts to make the "other side" look bad, so I guess I avoid those when I know about them, but I don't always have advance warning.  Ditto for "anyting, fiction or non, that is just really poorly written".  (I include revisionist--not alternate, but revisionist--history in that category.)

Beyond that, I don't actively avoid stuff.  I haven't read any Westerns at all yet, and I don't read many romances, but that's for lack of interest and not because I'm going, "Ewwwww, Westerns, keep away!"  Wink  I don't read much of the Pagan stuff that's out right now, but most of it just doesn't seem relevant to me.  And while there's some that I'd almost read just to see how bad it is for myself, I have a long list of other books that are higher priority for me.  *shrug*

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: April 10, 2007, 09:46:13 am »

Thanks, I got the idea when the Da Vinci Code hype reached its peak last year and I felt like bashing my head against the wall.

My Spiritual Blog
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 10, 2007, 10:18:57 am »

Thanks, I got the idea when the Da Vinci Code hype reached its peak last year and I felt like bashing my head against the wall.

For the record, I've read The Da Vinci Code, and about... oh... seven, I think of the Left Behind series (years ago when I still operated under the name of "Christian").  I can't hardly remember the Left Behind series, but the Da Vinci Code is pretty... erm... vivid still.

It was one of the few books-to-movies franchises that I actually liked the movie better.  The characters were flat, stereotypical, boring, and devoid of any real emotion in the book, that was only somewhat restored through the acting and directing in the movie.  The only person who was not boring was the antagonist, and while I love an interesting villain, when your villain is actually more proactive than your hero, and more sympathetic than your hero.... there's something wrong.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 10, 2007, 10:30:10 am »

I don't really read Westerns, mysteries or romantic books out of lack of interest, nor a good deal of general fiction for the same reason.  Pretty much, if something fantastic isn't going on, or something sci-fi isn't happening... I tend to not gravitate toward it.  *guilty*  I am trying to read more classic literature; trying to re-convince myself that not all Classic Literature is as awful as the stuff we read in high school, like Hemingway and Fitzgerald.  Thankfully, most of what I have picked up has been infinitely rewarding.  I may even revisit those hated authors I was forced to gag down in high school and see if I can't restore any love for them. 

There is very little I really avoid, except for non-fiction.  Most pagan books are too fluffy for my taste, and I tend to avoid authors like DJ Conway and the like.  As for other nonfiction, again, it usually tends to be a lack of interest than outright avoidance.  I only avoid authors whom I know have faulty history or facts behind them, and I usually avoid most Christian apology and historical books because... well... it's interesting to me, but not when there's a clear agenda.  Any other book that doesn't have an agenda behind it is usually interesting to me.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 10, 2007, 10:41:04 am »

I don't read romance novels.  I avoid certain authors as though they have plague.  I don't read about UFO and Atlantean stuff. 

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 10, 2007, 10:42:28 am »

Being in a critique group has REALLY helped me write better.  Because they can not only see that *something's not right*, but they can put language to the problem and offer ideas.  Which most readers just can't do.  (and they can also say why something is good, too).

Did you do any journalism in high school or college?  You would have loved it.  First you write something for homework. 500-800 words-ish. Then you pass it to the person sitting in front of you, who goes through it and makes changes/ revisions.  Then you pass it to the person sitting behind/ next to and next to.

By the time you're done, you've gotten 4 peoples critiques of what you've written.  They have to fill out a paper on how they critiqued you, so all of you are being collectively graded on not only the writing but the critique.  You can't just be like *uhhh, I didn't like it cause it sucked*  you have to have concrete reasons. 

Then you're told to take 100 words off of what you've written based upon the critiques.

Nothing like column inch requirements to get one to cut to the chase.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 10, 2007, 10:50:41 am »

I don't read romance novels.  I avoid certain authors as though they have plague.  I don't read about UFO and Atlantean stuff. 

WOOT!!!!

Amanda Quick novels.  I refuse to ever ever ever read another one.  They have drag and drop plots.  Identical plots in every book - out of something like a 15 book series.  Bodice rippers. 

"Unconventionally" gorgeous, available yet socially unacceptable woman (widow/spinster/bluestocking/displaced heiress/illegitimate daughter) while going about her very ordinary, yet completely inappropriate according to period life runs across dangerous male (pirate/spy/courtier/displaced heir/bastard/accused murderer) and discover that they share a/an (claim to property/ enemy/ acquaintance - either business or social) which must be (saved/ destroyed) in order to allow them to rise to their socially acceptable place in the natural order - in which all who ever said or did anything mean to or about them is properly tied up in the crime that prevented them from rising to their noble expectations.  Upon which they procreate.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 10, 2007, 11:30:40 am »

Bodice rippers. 

Those are the worst offenders in the romance catagory, period.  I have a bag full of them that were given to me and I'm taking them to the book store to sell.  Might get a dime each for them. 

Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 15, 2007, 10:37:25 pm »

What's a bluestocking?

And more on-topic, personally, I avoid Westerns, Romances, "Inpirational" (read: insipid crap) like those Chicken Soup books, and really, just about anything recommended by/likely to be recommended by Oprah.  Tongue

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 16, 2007, 06:07:43 am »

There are lots of things I avoid due to lack of interest, most mainstream fiction among them. I've been known to read my dad's Tom Clancys in a pinch (and read The Bourne Identity out of curiosity, didn't like it), but I wouldn't pick up the likes of Danielle Steele even if I were desperate.

Celebrity gossip magazines.
Pseudoscience and diet books. Anything that uses quantum physics as the Great Mystical Power.

Books I would avoid if I could: those with overly heavy-handed references to Bible stories or fairy tales *cough*Life of Pi*cough*
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #14: April 19, 2007, 10:18:36 pm »

There's not much I avoid, except romance novels - I can't stand them! Mills and Boon, or whatever... I cannot read them...... I just can't.

But, since I didn't know where else to say it, I have to say, that while I've mentioned before that I have a strange liking for 'cookbook spellbooks', however bad they are, I always, always, end up having a mental rant when I hit the 'love spell' section, which is usually the first section,since, as we all know, love spells sell... someone tell me it isn't just me that has a passionate dislike for 'love spells'.... ??

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)