The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 05, 2020, 09:59:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 05, 2020, 09:59:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You NOT Reading?  (Read 22882 times)
harzgeist
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:23:57 am
Germany Germany

Religion: Pagan - devoted to Anann and Thor

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #105: June 29, 2011, 04:03:14 pm »

I found the movies to be incredibly dull, so I can only imagine what the original that has everything intact is like.

Gosh, don't remind me... "Sam, can you take the ring?" - "Well, to be honest, Frodo, I've been carrying it for the last half hour" and so on and so forth *yawns and falls asleep*

give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Waterfall
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 04:52:42 am
United States United States

Religion: Lokean

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #106: June 29, 2011, 06:29:42 pm »

The whole thing puts me to sleep. I'm sure the story was great, but he's just. so. boring.

I've had friends give me the cliff notes and it sounds cool, but I can't read it. I've tried, but I have such a terrible attention span and the style is just... boring. Same goes for the movies. I get lost halfway through and stop caring. Made the mistake of watching the last one in the theater and it never ended! I was almost bored to tears. And then I heard there's longer versions of those movies.

most libraries don't keep a list of what you've checked out once you've returned it, unless there is a fine associated with it, on the grounds that if they don't keep it, it doesn't matter if Homeland security has a warrent, the info isn't there to give them.

I know my library does. I can access the list of things I've checked out, so I'm sure that means the library can as well. It is something you can opt out of, although for all I know, they still keep that information and just don't tell you about it.
harzgeist
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:23:57 am
Germany Germany

Religion: Pagan - devoted to Anann and Thor

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #107: June 29, 2011, 06:42:40 pm »

I've had friends give me the cliff notes and it sounds cool, but I can't read it. I've tried, but I have such a terrible attention span and the style is just... boring.

You might want to start with The Hobbit, if you can ever be bothered to pick up one of his books. I struggled with LOTR a lot, but found The Hobbit more accessible.

give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #108: June 29, 2011, 07:14:40 pm »

You might want to start with The Hobbit, if you can ever be bothered to pick up one of his books. I struggled with LOTR a lot, but found The Hobbit more accessible.

I think that may be because The Hobbit was written for kids in mind.  Literature aimed at younger audiences tend to be written in a more simple/readable style than things written for adults.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #109: June 29, 2011, 08:27:03 pm »

I think that may be because The Hobbit was written for kids in mind.  Literature aimed at younger audiences tend to be written in a more simple/readable style than things written for adults.

Nope. I can't stand The Hobbit anymore than LOTR. I think, however, that mostly stems from the horrific animated cartoon version. I saw it for the first time when I was like four or five and it scared the bejezus out of me. I can't remember what particular aspect frightened me (perhaps the Gollum representation?) but I know I was scared of it for years. Perhaps this is where my dislike of all things JRRT stems from...?

And back OT... I am studiously not reading the news.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Lokabrenna
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 03, 2012, 09:14:37 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Goddess-oriented Pagan with Vanic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #110: June 30, 2011, 11:27:39 pm »

I don't read westerns, sci fi (with a couple exceptions), romance novels (I even tried to read paranormal romance, and it just seems like they stick the paranormal stuff in willy nilly in a way that doesn't make sense to me), almost everything in the "fiction and literature" section, biographies, true crime, mysteries (although I loved mystery novels as a young adult, I don't know what happened...), and I only occasionally visit the horror section.

I just basically stick to fantasy, occasionally historical fiction, and I frequent both the new age and religion sections, and the bargain bin; the bargain bin is the best! Cheesy

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)