The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 12, 2021, 10:36:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2021, 10:36:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You NOT Reading?  (Read 35725 times)
Adele
Master Member
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 07:27:54 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic pagan

Image courtesy of iconomicon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: April 22, 2007, 02:21:29 am »

So which books do you avoid for whatever reason?

Most christian fiction and inspirational books.  I'm not a big fan of romances either. 

My favorite examples though, were given to me by my grandmother-in-law who passed away recently but will be fondly remembered for the Christian Harlequin Romance books she gave me on a regular basis. Seriously, she was the sweetest old lady and she knew I have a great appetite for books so I didn't dare hurt her feelings, but ...really?  Just about the time you'd think something juicy or exciting might happen, there was a "Come to Jesus" meeting instead.   Grin I've never laughed so hard reading a book as I did those (when I wasn't throwing them at a wall.)

"Say what you mean. Bear witness. Iterate."
       -John M. Ford, Making Light comment

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:May 05, 2021, 06:20:17 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: April 23, 2007, 02:01:55 pm »

someone tell me it isn't just me that has a passionate dislike for 'love spells'.... ??
I'm sorry; I really should have been more prompt on this one.

No, you're not the only one.  First, there are the ones I have ethical issues with, which is simply a difference of personal opinion, unless they're in a book that espouses ethics that conflict with the spell.  Then there's the "be careful what you wish for; you may get it" factor, which is rarely adequately covered, and which love spells seem particularly prone to.  (Murphrodite's Law:  if anything can go wrong with a love spell, it will do so in the most unanticipatable way it can find.)

My overall dislike for "cookbook" spellbooks is - as Randall managed to more-or-less convince me in a discussion a few months back - also a difference of personal opinion, provided that a) said cookbook does not associate itself with a magical paradigm, or religion espousing a magical paradigm, wherein magic is considered to be dependent on Will and intent, b) it's not flagrantly asinine.  This still leaves me plenty of room for sneering.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: April 24, 2007, 09:33:07 am »

(Murphrodite's Law:  if anything can go wrong with a love spell, it will do so in the most unanticipatable way it can find.)

I'm going to be using this from now on Cheesy

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: April 24, 2007, 09:49:38 am »

Update to my list (what can I say--some replies have jogged my memory on what I hate):

Celebrity gossip magazines (IMO, they rot the mind.  We will let my sister be exhibit A)

psudoscience and diet books

Chicken Soup books and other overly-insipid crap.

Stuff by Hemingway and Fitzgerald and some other writers that I don't feel like thinking about right now.

My Spiritual Blog
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: April 24, 2007, 06:53:58 pm »

I'm going to be using this from now on Cheesy
Feel free!

It was one of those things that just popped into my head at the opportune moment.

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #20: April 24, 2007, 07:01:55 pm »

This still leaves me plenty of room for sneering.

Sunflower
I should have specified too that I don't have a high opinion of many of them - just a perverse liking for the darn things (the books that is) in general, although love spells do tend to rub me up the wrong way ethically as well as almost every other way, but, I'm not feeling at all coherent today  Embarrassed

Wanderer894
Master Member
Last Login:April 07, 2011, 10:47:22 pm

Religion: The Way of the Dragonfly/Ignostic Pagan Humanist
TCN ID: Wanderer894

another day, another round of "WTF?"

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #21: April 25, 2007, 07:29:26 pm »

What I will not read:

RL Stine. I outgrew his stuff long ago.

VC Andrews

Left Behind series.

The Rules, and all the books it spawned.

Men Are from Mars, Women are from Venus.

Romances.  I read one and that's enough for me. I have no interest in those.

Eragon.

Celeb gossip magazines.  I hate when I cant' find an issue of Popular Science or something similar in places like hair salons.  I'd rather read about that stuff.  The only way I'll read celeb gossip is if it's really the only thing available and I'm desperate.

Most women's magazines.  No thanks. It's pretty much the same stuff regurgitated all over and over again, only more annoying because apparently it needs to be seen in Redbook AND Cosmo for it to be worth anything.  Again, I'll only read them if that's all there is.

Silver Ravenwolf.

Any book that hawks love spells and the life with no regard for the "um, you know, this might actually not be a good idea" side.  Stories of love spells gone wrong have particularly turned me off these.

Crappy self-help books.

Wuthering Heights.  N-O. I tried once, and failed.

DJ Conway.

Really really bad chick lit, whatever that is.

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Rituals do not make Life; Life is what you consider the most important, and the most fun.
Just another hapless human trying to figure out what the frell makes this world tick, and how to avoid the idiots who make my head hurt
Stop the war, impeach the war criminals.

Bored much? My Blog: Gray Reverie
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: April 25, 2007, 07:43:11 pm »

I hate when I cant' find an issue of Popular Science or something similar in places like hair salons.
Spoken like a true Geek Chick.

Sunflower

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: April 26, 2007, 05:42:28 am »

Eragon.

I knew I forgot a big one.  That book's plot was all too predictable and the dialogue didn't seem natural.  I will never read anything by that writer again.

My Spiritual Blog
Thesaly
Journeyman
Last Login:May 13, 2008, 06:10:33 pm

Religion: Ecclectic Wiccan (for now)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 26, 2007, 07:07:20 am »

I knew I forgot a big one.  That book's plot was all too predictable and the dialogue didn't seem natural.  I will never read anything by that writer again.

Well -I agree with all flaws found, but I'd say it was pretty good for a 15 year old.  I hope the potential evolves into something more original as he gets older.  I wouldn't necessarily expect it from the last two books in this series because he's probably had the plot in his head since he was 15, but maybe in the future?
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: April 26, 2007, 07:18:15 am »

Well -I agree with all flaws found, but I'd say it was pretty good for a 15 year old.  I hope the potential evolves into something more original as he gets older.  I wouldn't necessarily expect it from the last two books in this series because he's probably had the plot in his head since he was 15, but maybe in the future?

Possibly, but I think he could've done a better job.  Granted, I started writing when I was 17, but I took the time to make sure flaws such as the ones I've mentioned were not there.

My Spiritual Blog
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: April 26, 2007, 07:57:10 am »

The problem is, you only grow as a writer if you're pushed to.

If he's able to churn out stuff this way now, where's the impetus to improve?  No one's giving him critique that he's listening to.

He can only grow if he's aware of the need .. and right now, he doesn't have a need.  He's /selling/.  That's all the industry cares about.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: April 26, 2007, 09:42:51 am »

The problem is, you only grow as a writer if you're pushed to.

If he's able to churn out stuff this way now, where's the impetus to improve?  No one's giving him critique that he's listening to.

He can only grow if he's aware of the need .. and right now, he doesn't have a need.  He's /selling/.  That's all the industry cares about.

Well said.

A while ago I was looking through the original drafts of the first novel I started to write.  I was amazed at how much they sucked (like I said, they were written when I was 17).  I'm glad I did push myself to make what is more than likely the final version the best that it can be.  To tell the truth, I don't think Eragon would be considered by any publisher if the writer's father didn't have connections.

My Spiritual Blog
Wanderer894
Master Member
Last Login:April 07, 2011, 10:47:22 pm

Religion: The Way of the Dragonfly/Ignostic Pagan Humanist
TCN ID: Wanderer894

another day, another round of "WTF?"

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #28: April 26, 2007, 11:54:36 am »

Quote from: Melamphoros
To tell the truth, I don't think Eragon would be considered by any publisher if the writer's father didn't have connections.

I agree. I wonder what his reaction to beign rejected would have been in that case. Maybe he'd know better and say "OK well, back to the writing table."  Or not.

I forgot one item on my list: Sirona Knight. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 11:57:47 am by Wanderer894 » Logged

Rituals do not make Life; Life is what you consider the most important, and the most fun.
Just another hapless human trying to figure out what the frell makes this world tick, and how to avoid the idiots who make my head hurt
Stop the war, impeach the war criminals.

Bored much? My Blog: Gray Reverie
Dara
Apprentice
Last Login:November 07, 2013, 12:07:26 am

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Born to Lurk

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: April 26, 2007, 01:39:18 pm »

So which books do you avoid for whatever reason?

Like a few others, I don't read the Left Behind series.  Which kind of sucks now, because I own the entire set.  I started them in high school, and every time the next one was set to come out, I'd read all the previous ones so that the last part would be fresh in my mind when I started the new one.  But then I got to college.   I never finished Apollyon, because between being a full-time student and role-playing 'net-junkie, well, I just didn't find the time. I never even started the last book, because by the time it came out, I was seriously rethinking my religious choices, and didn't want to bother with the book. 

When I'm finally out on my own, I think I'll sell the set or something.  Now, I'm not so much "It's Christian fiction and I don't want to read something that's going to make me paranoid about going to Hell" as I am "It's predictable, the characters are interchangeable (minus Cloe, because well...Mpreg in Christian fiction would just be WEIRD), and they're all pretty flat."

I do generally avoid most Christian-themed books now because it's just not something I'm interested in anymore.  I do still love the old Grace Livingston Hill romances, though.  I always found them to be rather sweet stories.  Smiley

I also am not going to attempt Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series until it's DONE.  I do not want to read all those books (what is it now, ten?) and then him die before the last one comes out.  I hate cliffhangers to begin with, so to read WoT before it's finished?  No way.

There's also a book written by a teacher at my old high school called The Quarry.  Mom brought a copy home to read and couldn't finish it.  I believe she said that the "writing was stilted, the characters unbelievable, and the plot went nowhere."  It was set in a town that's basically a mirror of our town, and after deciding it was unreadable, we just went through picking out what place/person in the book = which real place/person in our town. (For those that watch NCIS, she did the locations and named the characters pretty much like McGee did in his novel, Deep Six).

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)