The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 12, 2021, 10:23:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2021, 10:23:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You NOT Reading?  (Read 35724 times)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #90: June 27, 2011, 03:38:35 pm »

There's nothing worse than teenage angst love "novels" that are so badly written it hurts my head. Ok, and books like The Secret, as mentioned upthread. Sure, my dad just didn't wish hard enough to stay alive... *goes and fetches her axe*

I actually would like to put the writer of The Secret in a Chinese Water Torture device and say "Do you want it to stop?  You can make it stop if you just wish hard enough."  And then sit back as s/he totally cracks hours after realizing that her bs wish magic doesn't work in real life.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #91: June 27, 2011, 03:51:24 pm »

I actually would like to put the writer of The Secret in a Chinese Water Torture device and say "Do you want it to stop?  You can make it stop if you just wish hard enough."  And then sit back as s/he totally cracks hours after realizing that her bs wish magic doesn't work in real life.

Oh, please please .. can I randomly kick hir at the same time?

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #92: June 27, 2011, 04:05:55 pm »

Oh, please please .. can I randomly kick hir at the same time?

Wouldn't that ruin the purpose of Chinese Water Torture?  It would be much more fun to watch hir become a quivering, psychotic mess.

The day is just not complete without completely shattering another person's sanity Grin

My Spiritual Blog
harzgeist
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:23:57 am
Germany Germany

Religion: Pagan - devoted to Anann and Thor

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #93: June 27, 2011, 04:12:53 pm »

Ah, that image just made my day  Grin

give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night
Waterfall
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 04:52:42 am

Religion: Lokean

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #94: June 27, 2011, 04:27:59 pm »

So which books do you avoid for whatever reason?

I was going to say Twilight, but I did read it. Lost a few brain cells on the way, but I actually had fun scribbling down what was wrong with the story in the margins of the book. The library probably wasn't too happy about that, though. Or the person who got it after me. Plus, there's some stupid drinking game you can play with that book.

I tend to avoid teen fiction in general and religious fiction as well. Of course, if I'm bored enough, I'll read anything. Most mystery type stuff bores me as well, although some are quite good. I can't remember the author, but I once read a book where the main character was obviously based on the author (just going from the About the Author paragraph) which is normally bad enough, but the fact that at one point in the book, the author actually wrote himself in just made me die a little inside. I see his books in the store all the time and I cringe whenever I see them. I'd have to be extremely bored to read one of his books again.

harzgeist
Journeyman
Germany Germany

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #95: June 27, 2011, 04:34:41 pm »

but I once read a book where the main character was obviously based on the author (just going from the About the Author paragraph)

You're not talking about Stephen King, are you? I find that a lot of his main characters bear a strong resemblance to the man himself. But then again, I love his style, so he could be writing a telephone directory and I'd still read it  Grin

Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #96: June 27, 2011, 04:58:14 pm »

Trying to think of anything I actively avoid. 

Got one:  Twilight.  Like the freakin' plague.  Actually, that includes the entire angsty-teen-romance "stalking is love" genre.

I'll confess that I've read and enjoyed one or two bodice-rippers in my day, but I don't read them as a rule.  Actually, romance novels in general have no appeal whatsoever - unless I'm in a very strange mood.  Same with westerns - I love western movies, and that is reflected a bit in my reading habits, but I really have to be in the right frame of mind.  Normally I avoid them.

I have a facination with the Left Behind series, though I haven't read any yet and am not sure I will.  Don't want to give those people money and not sure I even want the title associated with my library account.  But apocalypse stories, even fantastically bad ones - maybe especially fantastically bad ones - have always been kind of a guilty pleasure* for me.  Thus the fascination, like watching a train wreck.

I'm a lot more picky non-fiction-wise.

I hate celebrity biographies.  Don't need to know the life story of Justin Timberlake thank-you-very-much.  Even if I enjoy the person's work, I'm completely uninterested in all their dirty secrets.

I avoid most of the New Age/Occult section these days.  Back in the 80's I'd buy any book on witchcraft or paganism I could get my hands on.  (Even owned SRW's first.)  But this was before the great publishing boom and while a lot of it was still crap, it was rarely the same crap over and over like it is now.

*Speaking of guilty pleasures and dirty secrets...  I liked the DaVinci Code.  I found it entertaining fiction.  I liked Angels and Demons better.   So, um, am I a pariah now? Wink
Waterfall
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 04:52:42 am

Religion: Lokean

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #97: June 28, 2011, 04:06:17 am »

You're not talking about Stephen King, are you? I find that a lot of his main characters bear a strong resemblance to the man himself. But then again, I love his style, so he could be writing a telephone directory and I'd still read it  Grin

No, that wasn't the name. I only remember it when I actually see the name. I must have blocked it out. I just remember that reading the author's "About Me" thingy was like reading the exact description of the character. I'm not surprised if a character is similar to an author, but at least disguise it a little bit. Don't have the exact same car.
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #98: June 28, 2011, 06:23:31 pm »

J.R.R. Tolkien's crap.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #99: June 28, 2011, 06:46:38 pm »

Trying to think of anything I actively avoid. 

Got one:  Twilight.  Like the freakin' plague.  Actually, that includes the entire angsty-teen-romance "stalking is love" genre.

I'll confess that I've read and enjoyed one or two bodice-rippers in my day, but I don't read them as a rule.  Actually, romance novels in general have no appeal whatsoever - unless I'm in a very strange mood.  Same with westerns - I love western movies, and that is reflected a bit in my reading habits, but I really have to be in the right frame of mind.  Normally I avoid them.

I have a facination with the Left Behind series, though I haven't read any yet and am not sure I will.  Don't want to give those people money and not sure I even want the title associated with my library account.  But apocalypse stories, even fantastically bad ones - maybe especially fantastically bad ones - have always been kind of a guilty pleasure* for me.  Thus the fascination, like watching a train wreck.

I'm a lot more picky non-fiction-wise.

I hate celebrity biographies.  Don't need to know the life story of Justin Timberlake thank-you-very-much.  Even if I enjoy the person's work, I'm completely uninterested in all their dirty secrets.

I avoid most of the New Age/Occult section these days.  Back in the 80's I'd buy any book on witchcraft or paganism I could get my hands on.  (Even owned SRW's first.)  But this was before the great publishing boom and while a lot of it was still crap, it was rarely the same crap over and over like it is now.

*Speaking of guilty pleasures and dirty secrets...  I liked the DaVinci Code.  I found it entertaining fiction.  I liked Angels and Demons better.   So, um, am I a pariah now? Wink

most libraries don't keep a list of what you've checked out once you've returned it, unless there is a fine associated with it, on the grounds that if they don't keep it, it doesn't matter if Homeland security has a warrent, the info isn't there to give them.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
harzgeist
Journeyman
Germany Germany

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #100: June 29, 2011, 03:34:25 am »

J.R.R. Tolkien's crap.

Style-wise he is, but IMO he's got a darn good story to tell.

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #101: June 29, 2011, 03:37:43 am »

It's not done you any favours! Cheesy

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #102: June 29, 2011, 02:58:30 pm »

It's not done you any favours! Cheesy
*Hangs head in shame*
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #103: June 29, 2011, 03:33:17 pm »

Style-wise he is, but IMO he's got a darn good story to tell.

The whole thing puts me to sleep. I'm sure the story was great, but he's just. so. boring.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #104: June 29, 2011, 03:45:20 pm »

The whole thing puts me to sleep. I'm sure the story was great, but he's just. so. boring.

I found the movies to be incredibly dull, so I can only imagine what the original that has everything intact is like.

My Spiritual Blog

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)