The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 21, 2021, 01:01:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2021, 01:01:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: evolution vs. creation  (Read 12461 times)
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #15: August 15, 2008, 11:06:02 pm »

It is usually stated that viruses mutate not evolve, so often people don't consider the transformation as a form of evolution evolution.

Mutation is the process that fuels evolution.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: August 16, 2008, 07:45:57 am »

It is usually stated that viruses mutate not evolve, so often people don't consider the transformation as a form of evolution evolution.

Which only shows how poorly taught their science classes were -- or how little they remember/paid attention.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 16, 2008, 01:24:06 pm »

Which only shows how poorly taught their science classes were -- or how little they remember/paid attention.
Home school.  Wink
huskar
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 17, 2008, 11:43:13 am

Religion: none

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: August 17, 2008, 11:08:29 am »

Evolution is pretty much an accepted notion . Though I don't see why evolution should falsify religions . All it does it counter some old written books of their times .

[sig edited to remove advertising]
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: August 17, 2008, 12:37:48 pm »

Home school.

thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #20: August 17, 2008, 03:07:07 pm »

Home school.  Wink

Not all home-schoolers are fundies, and not all home-school parents are willfully ignorant.  My parents were quite a bit of column A, but not so much of column B.  If home-schooling is done right, the product is someone who excels at academics, but is somewhat stunted socially.  If it's done wrong, the product is usually stunted both academically AND socially.

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: August 17, 2008, 08:25:49 pm »

If home-schooling is done right, the product is someone who excels at academics, but is somewhat stunted socially.  If it's done wrong, the product is usually stunted both academically AND socially.

My ex's mother (his parents homeschooled him for a while) was talking with a local school principal at one point, and got the comment, "Oh, you're homeschooling your boys?  You can teach them social skills, we just can't do that."

thain
Master Member

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #22: August 17, 2008, 08:37:05 pm »

My ex's mother (his parents homeschooled him for a while) was talking with a local school principal at one point, and got the comment, "Oh, you're homeschooling your boys?  You can teach them social skills, we just can't do that."

You can certainly teach someone social skills, but homeschooling does typically lead to somewhat stunted social development.  I've always been very polite and socially agreeable, but being home-schooled did not prepare me for the various and sundry kinds of social interactions that happen on a daily basis outside the home...that was more the school of hard knocks.

Going to college was like jumping out of a nice, warm room into a nearly-frozen river, and it took me until about my Junior year to actually get over the shock of it all.

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 05:22:53 pm

Religion: Catholic

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: August 17, 2008, 09:41:28 pm »

You can certainly teach someone social skills, but homeschooling does typically lead to somewhat stunted social development.

There are so many more homeschoolers these days that intentional parents can provide social development without too much strain. Our local Park District, for example, offers "Phys Ed for homeschoolers" as well as various and sundry education extension programs aimed at homeschoolers ("hands on bug discovery" or whatever). There are also homeschool groups, participation in public school extracurrics, etc.

In some ways I think a home schooling model can be MORE socially normal ... it's SOOOOO not normal to interact in a tightly-controlled situation with 30 of your age-peers (regardless of development levels) moderated by a non-related adult. A more multigenerational model with the family as the central structure is quite a bit more "normal."

Not that I don't know socially-stunted homeschoolers ... I have some particular friends intending to home school, and I just shudder for their kid's social development. But I have other friends who do home school whose kids are quite comfortable in peer-only settings and other stereotypical school situations.
thain
Master Member

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #24: August 17, 2008, 09:59:55 pm »

There are so many more homeschoolers these days that intentional parents can provide social development without too much strain. Our local Park District, for example, offers "Phys Ed for homeschoolers" as well as various and sundry education extension programs aimed at homeschoolers ("hands on bug discovery" or whatever). There are also homeschool groups, participation in public school extracurrics, etc.

In some ways I think a home schooling model can be MORE socially normal ... it's SOOOOO not normal to interact in a tightly-controlled situation with 30 of your age-peers (regardless of development levels) moderated by a non-related adult. A more multigenerational model with the family as the central structure is quite a bit more "normal."

I'd tend to agree somewhat...I've always been much more comfortable relating to my elders than my peers, but it did make it difficult at first to study with people around my age.

The biggest issue I had with social development is that there simply wasn't enough available in my day, and that could simply be a side-effect of the area where I live.  For Phys Ed, I typically had to do county rec department activities if I wanted anything at all beyond my parents, and the local home school group typically only met once a month outside of church (plus MAYBE one field trip per month).

One thing that saddened me when I did my student teaching (before I decided I didn't really want to be a teacher) was how much venom the local teachers have for homeschoolers.  Some parents put their kids into high-school to ensure a good education leading up to college, and every single teacher who had one had nothing but complaints...not because they were bad students, but simply because the kids didn't understand the high school rules and they couldn't be arsed to take the students aside and explain a few things.  The teachers were also heading action to try to keep homeschoolers from being able to participate in extracurriculars, which was a real shame.

I have nothing at all against homeschooling, and I certainly think there are ways it can be done right (and certainly ways that it can be improved over my own experience), but no education system is perfect, and it takes a lot of dedication to make homeschooling work...I just wish the people who choose not to could be more supportive (or at least understanding) of the people who choose TO do it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 10:04:22 pm by RandallS, Reason: BBCode fixed » Logged

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: August 17, 2008, 10:03:41 pm »

There are so many more homeschoolers these days that intentional parents can provide social development without too much strain.

I think many of "homeschooled children have social problems" come from some of the fundie parents who homeschool to prevent their children from being exposed to ideas that differ from theirs. Many times, such children don't get to associate much with children outside their parent's church.  People who homeschool because they want to give their children a better education generally don't limit their children's social exposure like that.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: August 18, 2008, 03:55:52 pm »

Not all home-schoolers are fundies, and not all home-school parents are willfully ignorant. 

Oh, I know. I even considered homeschooling my kids for awhile. My response was in direct response to an earlier post regarding "Fundies" in particular  and not meant as a blanket statement.
KyoZero
Apprentice
Last Login:August 16, 2009, 08:27:24 pm

Religion: Ecclectic Pagan

The most effectual Top Cat!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: August 20, 2008, 03:29:37 am »

which one do you believe in?  i find this a tough question, because what if evolution was all part of god/godess's plan?  personally, that is what i think.

Well I would say my basic belief is the creator (of which I follow a sort of idea that the great creator is basically the universe itself but with intelligence and not so much a single being) started this world and pops in from time to time to look in on things and perhaps fix them but the rest is evolutionary.

To put it in a good simple summation.

She started it, we keep it going

-Kyo
Spectacular Views
Journeyman
Last Login:June 10, 2013, 02:21:49 am

Religion: Can being confused count as a religion?
TCN ID: SpectacularViews

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: August 20, 2008, 02:21:35 pm »

I think many of "homeschooled children have social problems" come from some of the fundie parents who homeschool to prevent their children from being exposed to ideas that differ from theirs. Many times, such children don't get to associate much with children outside their parent's church.

Wow, do you know my parents?  haha.

My dad worked a lot on different government projects, so my family was constantly moving.  As a result, I was home schooled and the curriculum we used was from a Christian academy and taught that evolution was false and so forth.  It took a bit of time for me to grow out of all that indoctrination.  I think that home schooling can be a good thing as long as you don't have the experience that I had growing up. 

All i have to say is, thank the Gods for college.   
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #29: August 20, 2008, 03:03:10 pm »

As a result, I was home schooled and the curriculum we used was from a Christian academy and taught that evolution was false and so forth.  It took a bit of time for me to grow out of all that indoctrination. 

Did you get much social exposure outside groups with those beliefs?

Randall

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)