The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 25, 2019, 01:48:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2019, 01:48:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tenets  (Read 7992 times)
QuercusRobur
Journeyman
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 05:18:37 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Irish Traditionalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 15, 2008, 10:23:23 am »

I've been reading Isaac Bonewits' Essential Druidry and it got me thinking about what my tenets were.

1. Don't believe or do things unless you know why - and "because we've always done it" or "because X does it" is not a reason.

2. Beliefs are not set in stone - experiences or talking with other people may change them.

3. Other people's beliefs may be different from mine.  This does not necessarily mean they're wrong.

4. Don't convert people.

5. Scholarship is the backbone of my practice.  However, if the scholarship is not used, it is useless.

6. Paganism is not just something to be done at the weekends, it's part of my life.

7. If you don't know the answer, either go away and think about it and then come back to the person who asked the question and answer them or tell them you don't know.

What are your tenets?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am
United States United States

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 15, 2008, 10:48:16 am »

What are your tenets?

In flux Cheesy

Seriously, though, a few of my "solid" tenets kind of meld with yours.

+Don't believe something just because everyone else does or everyone else says you have to.

+Don't rely on someone else telling you what to believe.  Scholarship is vital (and, to put it in a way that fundies can understand, "Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.")

+Don't believe something just because it is comfortable to do so.  Find what resonates with your soul, comfortable OR painful.

+Don't be petty Grin

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Maeve
Last Login:December 23, 2008, 12:48:27 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Figuring it all out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 15, 2008, 03:45:33 pm »

What are your tenets?

Mine too are changing, as I learn new things, and adapt and grow, like everyone else I suppose!  These are just the ones that I strive to follow and be aware of. 

+You learn more by listening, than by talking.

+Ask why.  How will you know if you don't ask?

+Emotions are a part of being a living being, embrace them and embrace yourself.  Allow others to express theirs.

+Treat yourself, others and nature with patience and respect.

+Heal thyself, before you ask others to heal.

+If something frightens you, ask yourself why and learn as much about it as you can.

+Never be afraid to learn something new, or to ask for help.  Sometimes guidance and growth is a breath, or a step away.

+ Relax.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: August 15, 2008, 04:07:13 pm »

What are your tenets?

+ Don't believe in something just because everyone else does or someone tells you to.

+ Study and figure things out on your own instead of having it spoon-fed to you.

+ Knowledge is sacred so put that scholorship to good use.  If it works for you, it's good and if it doesn't then you have something else to compare to.

+ Don't be afraid to question your own beliefs from time to time.  As beliefs evolve over time, this questioning may give you a fresher perspective.

+ Understand that there is two sides to every coin.  Where there is light there is also darkness and both sides must be understood and embraced.

+ Know your strengths, but also know your limitations.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 16, 2008, 01:33:12 am »

What are your tenets?

+ Sometimes, you don't need to be able to prove you are right, because sometimes right and wrong just don't matter.

+ Form your own opinions.

+ Be prepared to put everything you have into something and risk losing it.

+ Be ready to admit you were wrong.

+ Devote yourself entirely to something.

+ Always look for the beautiful.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 16, 2008, 02:32:36 am »

What are your tenets?

Don't back down from a challenge.

Don't let others define your limits.

Think for yourself.

Question yourself.

Break your own limits.

Face your fears.

Treat others with respect, until they prove they are unworthy of it.

And a personal favorite from mine, that actually comes from the Bible... "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman, rightly dividing the word of truth."  That is the actual verse, if I am remembering it right, the basic idea behind it is what I actually use.  (Study what you can, and discard the B.S.)

Know how to fight each battle in its own way, and when a battle is simple unfightable (is that really a word?).  (Basically words with words, fists with fists, etc.)

There are others, but I'm just not mentally capable of typing properly let alone thinking, at the moment.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
QuercusRobur
Journeyman
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 05:18:37 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Irish Traditionalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 16, 2008, 08:00:02 am »

In flux Cheesy

I plan to review mine every Autumn Equinox and change or add things as necessary.
PNorwood
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 16, 2008, 09:30:17 am

Religion: Pagan

carrying magick into the new mellenium

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 16, 2008, 08:45:21 am »

What are your tenets?

1 Imagination and creativity go hand in hand- don't be afraid to experiment with what you imagine.
2 The older I get the less I know that I know
3 If someone has an inaccuracy or two and the rest of what they say works or is good don't throw everything out with the dishwater because others are critical or they are controversial.
4 Live without judgementalism of others.

There are others but these 4 most apply to where I am at in my life right now

healing, light and peace
White Raven
hobbitatheart
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 24, 2008, 12:58:08 pm

Religion: random Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 16, 2008, 04:22:52 pm »

What are your tenets?

I've got a list of ten that I try to follow. I won't post the list in its entirety, it's a bit personal, but it does include Compassion, Truth, Balance, and Laughter (I find a sense of humor very, very important).

"As long as there's cake, there's hope. And there's always cake." - Dean Koontz, Life Expectancy
wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 16, 2008, 05:15:58 pm »

I've got a list of ten that I try to follow. I won't post the list in its entirety, it's a bit personal, but it does include Compassion, Truth, Balance, and Laughter (I find a sense of humor very, very important).

I don't tend toward compassion much, but the others I would agree with entirely.  Although balance is often hardest to work at.  (Laughter is easy, there are plenty of stupid people in the world at large... Wink)

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #10: August 16, 2008, 05:40:05 pm »

What are your tenets?

Luckily, I have a few thousand years of history to help me out, lol.  There are many tenets of Judaism, but here are a few of the most important to me:

1.  Everyone is obliged to give tzedekah (charity or righteous giving).  Even the lowliest beggar has something worthwhile to share with others.  Even if he has no money, a person can give someone a smile or pick up litter off of the street.  Everyone has the capability to contribute something worthwhile to the world.

2.  My God is a single, inexplicable force.  This is reflected by the Shema prayer:  Shema Yisrail:  Adonai Eloheinu, Adonai Echad!  (Hear O Israel: Adonai is our God, Adonai is one!)

3.  Preservation of life is the paramount mitzvah (commandment). 

Sperran
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: August 16, 2008, 05:53:22 pm »

I don't tend toward compassion much, but the others I would agree with entirely.  Although balance is often hardest to work at.  (Laughter is easy, there are plenty of stupid people in the world at large... Wink)

It's not one of the tenets I listed (mainly because I only listed the main ones that I could think of), but I'm not big on compassion either.

One of my unlisted tenets is actually something along the lines of "Give out compassion sparingly and only to those you know in desperate need of it."

I also believe strongly in "an eye for an eye."

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
wisdomsbane
Adept Member

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 16, 2008, 06:00:16 pm »

It's not one of the tenets I listed (mainly because I only listed the main ones that I could think of), but I'm not big on compassion either.

One of my unlisted tenets is actually something along the lines of "Give out compassion sparingly and only to those you know in desperate need of it."

I also believe strongly in "an eye for an eye."

Heh.  I knew there was a reason I like you.  Both of those fit pretty well with my own view of things.

My Writings So Far
Valkyriia
Journeyman
Last Login:August 13, 2011, 08:54:09 pm

Religion: solitary Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 16, 2008, 06:10:35 pm »

I've been reading Isaac Bonewits' Essential Druidry and it got me thinking about what my tenets were.

1. Don't believe or do things unless you know why - and "because we've always done it" or "because X does it" is not a reason.

2. Beliefs are not set in stone - experiences or talking with other people may change them.

3. Other people's beliefs may be different from mine.  This does not necessarily mean they're wrong.

4. Don't convert people.

5. Scholarship is the backbone of my practice.  However, if the scholarship is not used, it is useless.

6. Paganism is not just something to be done at the weekends, it's part of my life.

7. If you don't know the answer, either go away and think about it and then come back to the person who asked the question and answer them or tell them you don't know.

What are your tenets?

Pardon me for asking but what are tenets? I don't think I've ever heard the term before.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 07, 2019, 10:49:07 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: August 16, 2008, 06:14:32 pm »

Pardon me for asking but what are tenets? I don't think I've ever heard the term before.

From the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

Tenet: a principle, belief, or doctrine generally held to be true; especially : one held in common by members of an organization, movement, or profession

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.