The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 02, 2020, 12:50:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2020, 12:50:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Planes of existence  (Read 13274 times)
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 15, 2008, 11:52:46 pm »

Sometimes forms of meditation focus upon reaching a different plane of existence that transcends the physical one that your body is present in. Often this plane is called the astral plane. But what exactly is the astral plane? Can it even be described?

Is the astral plane the only other plane of existence other than the physical one? Or are there more?

I've often come across references to subtle body, but what exactly is this? And can it really be seen as an aura?

I'd be interested in hearing responses to these questions, as this is a topic that really interests me.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 16, 2008, 12:16:22 am »

I'd be interested in hearing responses to these questions, as this is a topic that really interests me.

So what happened to yes/no questions?

I have the answers you seek... (But no droids...) Will be back when I've corraled my brain...
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: August 16, 2008, 12:21:59 am »

So what happened to yes/no questions?

I have the answers you seek... (But no droids...) Will be back when I've corraled my brain...

*passes Aionia a pot of coffee*

Please go on, I always found your POV regarding this topic interesting.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
AIONIA
Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 16, 2008, 12:47:34 am »

Please go on, I always found your POV regarding this topic interesting.

Interesting as in "crazy beeotch..", or interesting as in "hmm interesting"...
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: August 16, 2008, 12:52:47 am »

Interesting as in "crazy beeotch..", or interesting as in "hmm interesting"...

Would you be offended if my response was:  "A little from Column A and a little from Column B?"

For the record, I'm not exactly known for being completely sane Grin

My Spiritual Blog
AIONIA
Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 16, 2008, 01:14:05 am »

Crazy Button On:

Alrighty, my fellow Cauldronites, breathe easy I have returned… (My ego fully intact…),

But what exactly is the astral plane? Can it even be described?

Is the astral plane the only other plane of existence other than the physical one? Or are there more?  

The way I see it, everything living thing in the universe has an energetic body, which is a requirement for life as I have come to know it.

It can be seen in humans as the little electrical synapses in our brains, traveling through us and telling the rest of our body what to do. So when we die, where does all of that energy go? Only 10% is passed on as consumable energy to anything else, and it’s a basic rule of physics that energy can be neither created nor destroyed.

Scientists say it escapes as heat energy, that makes sense. But when they go looking for ghosts, what do they measure? Variations in tempatures (…Albeit that’s usually a change in tempature for the cooler, but I’m human, not the Universe Encyclopedia…) so let’s assume this energy escaping our body is still a conscious entity, i.e. us, and that the body itself is merely a tool for creation of physical goods. (…That’s a completely different topic…)

Since we are able to leave our body as this energetic entity when the physical body has reached it’s sell by date, it seems reasonable to assume that it may be possible to do this prior to death as well. Hence, ASTRAL TRAVEL…

The astral plane itself is harder to understand, I think of it as a room with a million doors. You start in the same place, but there are a million different places you can go all separate and individual from each other.

I've often come across references to subtle body, but what exactly is this? And can it really be seen as an aura?

I think this is the afore mentioned energetic body I’ve spoken of, and I think there are variations in color.

As a means to differentiate between energies, I believe there are variations in intensity. (… I would be a lightbulb, a God/Goddess might be the sun…) But when you look at light, which is what you’d be viewing the energy as, it occurs in various colors, due to intensity. (…I think… Any scientists in the forum?..) I believe this is what causes colors in the energetic body to be unique to a certain being.

I also believe the intensity of a deity's energy may be the reason they don't need a physical body, if they want it they can make it happen from where they are...

•Correct my if my physics are wrong, which I think they may be…

I LOVE You All,
Aionia

Except Melamphoros, if you were a little bit saner you'd know that it should all be from Column A... But, I accept you as you are, and will learn to love you with time... JK
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: August 16, 2008, 01:25:13 am »

The astral plane itself is harder to understand, I think of it as a room with a million doors. You start in the same place, but there are a million different places you can go all separate and individual from each other.

And I think that many of those doors may be locked to non-divine beings.  Yes, I'm letting more of my crazy than usual show through Grin

I also believe the intensity of a deity's energy may be the reason they don't need a physical body, if they want it they can make it happen from where they are...

This is interesting to me in the Column B way Cheesy

Except Melamphoros, if you were a little bit saner you'd know that it should all be from Column A... But, I accept you as you are, and will learn to love you with time... JK

Aw, and here I was about to give you nice chocolate and a dozen roses Tongue

My Spiritual Blog
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 16, 2008, 02:46:32 am »

Sometimes forms of meditation focus upon reaching a different plane of existence that transcends the physical one that your body is present in. Often this plane is called the astral plane. But what exactly is the astral plane? Can it even be described?
I believe in a sort of "spirit world" that overlaps our own, and works a bit differently than ours does (basically throw out the laws of physics, etc. here).  This is how I see the Astral plane, at least in a nutshell.  I'm not coherent enough to actually sit here and try to give a decent explanation.

Um, I really have no clue.  I think it's possible, but as to what types there might be, meh... brain cramp.

I think I've heard of subtle body in reference from Scientology, but I'm not sure exactly.  I have heard of it though, and I think it equates basically to the spirit/soul.  As for auras, I see them as the physical body's way of noticing the spirit/soul.  So to my mind, yes, they are about the same, or at least very similar in effect.

I'm interested too, now.  Good topic to bring up.  Not something I would have thought of, but now that it's here, I'll be checking in from time to time.  I may even try to expand on my response about the astral plane eventually.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 16, 2008, 08:46:53 am »

Believe it or not, what you said makes the most sense I've heard yet on the subject.  Smiley
AIONIA
Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 16, 2008, 10:20:14 am »

Believe it or not, what you said makes the most sense I've heard yet on the subject.  Smiley

Thank you.

Aw, and here I was about to give you nice chocolate and a dozen roses Tongue

Melamphoros  Kiss You know I love you. You're nearly my age, and I can spout offf my craziness non-stop to you, without being commited. You are right under the gods in my list of guys that don't suck.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 10:23:22 am by AIONIA » Logged
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 16, 2008, 03:15:11 pm »

I too like Aionia's response.  Smiley

But I'll just throw my own image of the Astral out there anyway for sake of variety. I see the Astral like the rings of Saturn. Think of yourself in this existance as the planet Saturn itself and the rings surrounding you are other worlds. You have to leave Saturn (your body and this world) to get there. Only your energy goes there, your body, Saturn, stays put. Between you and the rings (other worlds) is space. In this space are dreams, imagination and other abilities of the mind.   This is where it gets tricky, because in dreams you can sometimes touch the other worlds, sometimes they interrupt your dreams, sometimes you can leave the dream and enter the other worlds. The mind can play tricks too, and sometimes you only imagine or dream you have gone when you haven't. It isn't always easy to know the difference. Speaking only for myself, I do not feel in control when I have entered other worlds, like I do with imagination. It can be frightening, there is a feeling of being "out of my element" and things beyond my control that is hard to describe.   I do not go alone, I have a spirit guide.   

Reaching an Astral plane though meditation is more difficult (at least for me anyway) and I have only done it once. The Astral in this sense is not a higher form of enlightenment, but other simultaneous worlds. My views also go along with time not being linear.

I will have to give Auras a little more thought before I anser on that point.

Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 18, 2008, 01:47:04 pm »

It can be seen in humans as the little electrical synapses in our brains, traveling through us and telling the rest of our body what to do. So when we die, where does all of that energy go? Only 10% is passed on as consumable energy to anything else, and it’s a basic rule of physics that energy can be neither created nor destroyed.

What you've said here makes sense to me. I like your take on it.

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 18, 2008, 01:50:20 pm »

But I'll just throw my own image of the Astral out there anyway for sake of variety. I see the Astral like the rings of Saturn. Think of yourself in this existance as the planet Saturn itself and the rings surrounding you are other worlds. You have to leave Saturn (your body and this world) to get there. Only your energy goes there, your body, Saturn, stays put. Between you and the rings (other worlds) is space. In this space are dreams, imagination and other abilities of the mind.   

I like your analysis. Would a person's conscious mind be a part of 'Saturn' and the subconscious be part of the 'rings'? Thus you have to use astral travel in order to tap into that part of your mind?

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 18, 2008, 03:02:19 pm »

Would a person's conscious mind be a part of 'Saturn' and the subconscious be part of the 'rings'? Thus you have to use astral travel in order to tap into that part of your mind?

Yes. I would say that Astral travel is a coming together of the subconscious and the conscious mind. When they combine, the subconscious can help us in this existence, we are more aware, we are more intuitive, we can even be more understanding. The same can happen in the opposite direction. On other planes the conscious mind of this existence is part of the subconscious. (I hope I haven't lost you there)

On the Astral Plane, the goal is to achieve awareness of where you are. That involves the bringing together these two parts of the mind. It can be very difficult. It is easiest for me while I am sleeping. I am aware that I am still asleep and dreaming, while at the same time I am also somewhere else.

For me Astral Travel isn't something that I usually set out to do, it just happens. Either while sleeping or in a meditative state.  It was one of those things that I always did and was surprised to learn that everybody else didn't experience.  So, I can't really offer any tips on how to get to the Astral except to meditate using whatever method is best for you.

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 18, 2008, 06:56:18 pm »

The way I see it, everything living thing in the universe has an energetic body, which is a requirement for life as I have come to know it.

It can be seen in humans as the little electrical synapses in our brains, traveling through us and telling the rest of our body what to do.
What about plants?  They are alive but don't have brains or synapses.  Do they still produce energy? 
*Pouts because she can't find the EMF meter to test this for herself*

So when we die, where does all of that energy go? Only 10% is passed on as consumable energy to anything else, and it’s a basic rule of physics that energy can be neither created nor destroyed.
  Where are you getting the 10% from?  (I'm not challenging you, I'm just curious.  Haven't seen that factoid before.)

Scientists say it escapes as heat energy, that makes sense. But when they go looking for ghosts, what do they measure? Variations in tempatures (…Albeit that’s usually a change in tempature for the cooler, but I’m human, not the Universe Encyclopedia…)
They also measure electro-magnetic differences.  And sometimes they do find 'hot spots' in temperature.  It's got to be a lot of work to keep all that energy together though.  On it's own, heat energy will disperse.  So where is the ghost getting new energy to sustain itself?  They aren't eating food....hmm...this requires deeper thought on my part. 

I like your explanation.  I'd also like to see Everfool argue against it.   Wink

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.