The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 23, 2019, 02:49:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2019, 02:49:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: You Mean That's Not Normal?  (Read 9631 times)
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 18, 2008, 04:33:07 pm »

Some members with paranormal abilities have stated that they had assumed everyone had the same abilities until they realized that it wasn't the norm. Usually these are people who have had their abilities for as long as they can remember and basically grew up using them along with the standard five senses. 

I would like to hear what experiences others may have had upon realizing that their paranormal abilities were not commonplace.

If you have a story to share I would love to hear it, if not perhaps you could answer some of the following questions:

What are your abilities and what made you first realize that you were different from the norm?

Was there one defining moment or was it a gradual realization? or maybe you always knew?

What was your reaction to the realization? Did you feel a need to hide your abilities, to keep your "differentness" to yourself or did you have a supportive environment where you were free to develope and explore your talents?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 20, 2008, 01:40:44 pm »

Since I didn't get even the slightest nibble, I will go ahead and answer my own post in hopes of breathing life into it....

I grew up making use of para-normal senses/abilities. I used pre-cognition, empathy, contact with the spirit world, and a host of other things. Whenever I would mention this, or try to talk about it to people, they wouldn't know what I was talking out, or would think I was making things up, or they tried to explain it all away. I didn't understand why they didn't understand. Sometimes of course I would just downright freak people out, then I started to know, okay this isn't normal.

When I was about nine years old I read a book about a little witch girl who's mother cast a circle and started teaching her about magic. I identified with the little girl in the story and wished I had someone who understood and could teach me. I think it was then that I started thinking of myself as a witch.

I stopped talking to people about it because it usually got me nowhere. Later on, I kept it to myself, because some of the things I knew or experienced were hard even for me to accept. I didn't want others to worry about what might be coming up in their lives.

I suppose all that played a big part in why I became a solitary practitioner.
leigh137
Journeyman
Last Login:February 05, 2009, 03:07:55 pm

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 20, 2008, 02:16:59 pm »

What are your abilities and what made you first realize that you were different from the norm?

Was there one defining moment or was it a gradual realization? or maybe you always knew?

What was your reaction to the realization? Did you feel a need to hide your abilities, to keep your "differentness" to yourself or did you have a supportive environment where you were free to develope and explore your talents?

I wish I had seen this earlier, I have a story.
When I was a kid my family lived in a haunted house. Pretty typical stuff, booms, bangs, stuff goes missing, etc. My brother and I were quite small and we could see her.
Well, we never thought anything of this, and my parents treated it as normal (mom's family has the ability to see things too).
One day I happened to mention it at school. Wow, that was a mistake! I was made fun of like you wouldn't believe! My mother finally had the talk with me about how not all people can see the same things, or do the same things, and maybe we should not talk about special things with other folks. That has stuck with me to this day, and I still watch what I say.

"You must have faith... That the universe will unfold as it should."
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 20, 2008, 04:54:42 pm »

I wish I had seen this earlier, I have a story.
When I was a kid my family lived in a haunted house. Pretty typical stuff, booms, bangs, stuff goes missing, etc. My brother and I were quite small and we could see her.
Well, we never thought anything of this, and my parents treated it as normal (mom's family has the ability to see things too).
One day I happened to mention it at school. Wow, that was a mistake! I was made fun of like you wouldn't believe! My mother finally had the talk with me about how not all people can see the same things, or do the same things, and maybe we should not talk about special things with other folks. That has stuck with me to this day, and I still watch what I say.

I understand that completely.  I sometimes wonder if more children don't have special gifts too, but it all  gets pushed aside by "rational" adults as children's nonsense. I think that like any aptitude, if you are never give the chance to exercise those gifts or practice them then you won't develop those talents.
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 20, 2008, 08:42:15 pm »

I understand that completely.  I sometimes wonder if more children don't have special gifts too, but it all  gets pushed aside by "rational" adults as children's nonsense. I think that like any aptitude, if you are never give the chance to exercise those gifts or practice them then you won't develop those talents.

I always get  clobbered when I say this, but in my career as a preschool teacher I have met several really psychic kids, who more or less meet the criteria for Indigo/Crystal children....but I'm not going there, dears, so never mind Wink

I will say that as a child I had lots of invisible friends, and I still do. My son still does, my daughter never did, or not many, or maybe she has just never shared that information with me.

I had a knack for seeing and talking with dead people, nature spirits and the fae, and still do. I put it all down after an incident with my mother and her best friend (both witches) when we contacted my dad, and I passed out and channeled him. I really really really did not like that. I was about 25 years old, and had been moving away from my own witch life for a couple of years, and after that I stopped practicing entirely. I didn't start to come back to it until I was preggo with my daughter, when I was 33. And even then it was a very slow, tentative, almost subconscious process. It was not until after my son was born, four years later, that i noticed i seemed to be doing stuff again. And I didn't start studying or actively, consciously practicing magic for another few years. Took a long time to heal the damage from my family, both the magical and the ordinary kind Tongue

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 20, 2008, 09:11:16 pm »

I had a knack for seeing and talking with dead people, nature spirits and the fae, and still do. I put it all down after an incident with my mother and her best friend (both witches) when we contacted my dad, and I passed out and channeled him. I really really really did not like that. I was about 25 years old, and had been moving away from my own witch life for a couple of years, and after that I stopped practicing entirely. I didn't start to come back to it until I was preggo with my daughter, when I was 33. And even then it was a very slow, tentative, almost subconscious process. It was not until after my son was born, four years later, that i noticed i seemed to be doing stuff again. And I didn't start studying or actively, consciously practicing magic for another few years. Took a long time to heal the damage from my family, both the magical and the ordinary kind Tongue

Gods! What a scary experience! I can see taking that long to get back on track. Sometimes what we go through can be very difficult. I don't like channeling, for some reason it has just not felt right, I really can't explain it, but it's like I'm doing something I shouldn't.

Pre-cog empathy is a biggy with me. I can feel what someone (or something) is going to go through in the near future. For about a week now I have felt like I was being attacked by a giant cat, my skull is being crushed and my whole left side is scratched and ripped. This morning one of my fish is missing. I should have meditated on what it all meant, but I was busy and didn't. If I had slowed down and meditated on it, I could have prevented the fish dinner. Dang.  Sad

Funny you should mention imaginary friends. I had lots when I was little and I put them into two groups. My "imaginary" imaginary friends and my "real" imaginary friends.  Cheesy
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 20, 2008, 10:28:09 pm »

Gods! What a scary experience! I can see taking that long to get back on track. Sometimes what we go through can be very difficult. I don't like channeling, for some reason it has just not felt right, I really can't explain it, but it's like I'm doing something I shouldn't.

Pre-cog empathy is a biggy with me. I can feel what someone (or something) is going to go through in the near future. For about a week now I have felt like I was being attacked by a giant cat, my skull is being crushed and my whole left side is scratched and ripped. This morning one of my fish is missing. I should have meditated on what it all meant, but I was busy and didn't. If I had slowed down and meditated on it, I could have prevented the fish dinner. Dang.  Sad

I am not all that empathic, although I have been known to empathically witness huge marital fights, when I was at least 100 miles away, and had not been in contact with the couple in question for a long time-the last time I "heard" them, they made the baby (their baby) cry. Very unpleasant  Tongue

And yeah, channeling is not my cuppa, for sure, especially since that incident with my dad.  I do sometimes draw down, but I have never yet been able to get control of it-it just happens. One of my goals is to learn how to aspect and manage the energy flow better than I have so far.

Funny you should mention imaginary friends. I had lots when I was little and I put them into two groups. My "imaginary" imaginary friends and my "real" imaginary friends.  Cheesy

yeah, that was when i learned to call some of them invisible. I could see them, but no one else could, and I couldn't change them at will, or make them appear when I wanted them to, very different from my imaginative play life.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 21, 2008, 01:02:37 am »

Some members with paranormal abilities have stated that they had assumed everyone had the same abilities until they realized that it wasn't the norm. Usually these are people who have had their abilities for as long as they can remember and basically grew up using them along with the standard five senses. 

I would like to hear what experiences others may have had upon realizing that their paranormal abilities were not commonplace.

If you have a story to share I would love to hear it, if not perhaps you could answer some of the following questions:

My empathy manifested early, as did my "godsense" for lack of a better term.  I was always chattering innocently away at Zeus or Hermes or Athena (hey maybe that's why she doesn't like me).  And my empathy manifested...I couldn't imagine not being able to understand what other people were feeling.  Oddly enough (or perhaps not so oddly) I never really picked up on negative emotions (hurt yes, anger or hatred no).  As a child I simply could not understand cruelty.  I could not understand how you could purposely cause pain to another human being because I thought that you'd immediately feel it too.  And you know how cruel small children can be to each other.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 21, 2008, 07:30:24 am »

I am not all that empathic, although I have been known to empathically witness huge marital fights, when I was at least 100 miles away, and had not been in contact with the couple in question for a long time-the last time I "heard" them, they made the baby (their baby) cry. Very unpleasant  Tongue
yeah, that was when i learned to call some of them invisible. I could see them, but no one else could, and I couldn't change them at will, or make them appear when I wanted them to, very different from my imaginative play life.

Unpleasant is right.  Sad    It doesn't always make sense to me why I am empathic with some people, especially when I personally don't know them that well.  Huh

Can't think of the term I am looking for.....energy transference? But the way I get information from an object or thing is to feel what another person felt when wearing or being around the object. I used to have the hardest time driving a friends car, I kept wanted to put my left foot on the gas, later I realized that person drove with both feet, right for gas, left for break. Another time I fell asleep on my mother-in-laws sofa, I woke up with my lungs burning and reached for a cigarette. I don't smoke, but she was a chain smoker. I suppose that is still a form of empathy, but transfered from an object.

You're 100% on the "imaginary" friends. The spirits I knew would come and go on their own, the pretend friends were of my imagination so I had control of them and knew they were not real.
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 21, 2008, 07:43:59 am »

My empathy manifested early, as did my "godsense" for lack of a better term.  I was always chattering innocently away at Zeus or Hermes or Athena (hey maybe that's why she doesn't like me).  And my empathy manifested...I couldn't imagine not being able to understand what other people were feeling.  Oddly enough (or perhaps not so oddly) I never really picked up on negative emotions (hurt yes, anger or hatred no).  As a child I simply could not understand cruelty.  I could not understand how you could purposely cause pain to another human being because I thought that you'd immediately feel it too.  And you know how cruel small children can be to each other.

Maybe if more people were empathetic the world wouldn't be in such a mess. People always told me I was good at putting myself in another person's place (if they olny knew Cheesy)

No doubt about it, kids can be cruel.

I used to wonder why I could do these things or feel these things when other people couldn't. Actually, I still don't know. I kind of think maybe our brains are "wired" differently.
leigh137
Journeyman
Last Login:February 05, 2009, 03:07:55 pm

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 21, 2008, 08:28:44 am »

I kind of think maybe our brains are "wired" differently.

That's what I always say. I have a disorder that pretty much comes down to my brain being wired wrong, so I tell my mother it all comes down to that. Seeing spirits, chronic pain, maybe it's all because of the same thing. Some people's brains are different.

"You must have faith... That the universe will unfold as it should."
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 21, 2008, 12:18:50 pm »

Unpleasant is right.  Sad    It doesn't always make sense to me why I am empathic with some people, especially when I personally don't know them that well.  Huh

well, in this case my sense is that the husband was probably thinking about me, or somehow the energy of the fight was lighting up his connection to me. He is my ex, but I don't think the fight had anything to do with me, we have been parted for a long while now, and i have never met his wife.

Can't think of the term I am looking for.....energy transference? But the way I get information from an object or thing is to feel what another person felt when wearing or being around the object. I used to have the hardest time driving a friends car, I kept wanted to put my left foot on the gas, later I realized that person drove with both feet, right for gas, left for break. Another time I fell asleep on my mother-in-laws sofa, I woke up with my lungs burning and reached for a cigarette. I don't smoke, but she was a chain smoker. I suppose that is still a form of empathy, but transfered from an object.

yeah, I really dislike that, and shield pretty heavily in those situations so it doesn't happen-I learned to do that in childhood, and could probably stand to unlearn it now. However, I am able to communicate with, or at least see or send messages to others via objects they have handled or given me, which is kind of a nice thing.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 22, 2008, 01:49:07 am »

I don't think it has so much to do with unique or rare abilities.  I think it is the way we are brought up, along with who we associate with, and at waht ages.  For example, I was raised differently than my brothers (not in the way of male/female differences, just what happened at what ages... parents divorced when I was eleven, one brother was nine, and the youngest was four, etc...).  We were all raised to be independent thinkers, but I'm the only one who actually got the full benefit of that.  I think it has a lot to do with the idea that I was the oldest, and I was expected to mature at an earlier age than they were (neither of them had to start babysitting at the age of twelve, to allow our dad to be able to work until 6 p.m.).  That and I took alot after my gram, stubborn as a mule, hot tempered, but the kindest most loving person you could meet, unless you messed with her family or her "family" (basically she was always "adopting" various people).

I always thought that everyone could do certain things, but some either chose not to, or didn't realize they could.  I still feel that way.  For example, many people are taught that certain things are bad or evil, and thus choose not to do them.  Others are taught that these things simply don't exist, so they don't know that it is possible.  I mean if you think about it, people always claim that their children can 'see' things, and are either surprised by that, or (in some cases) think it some sort of genetic trait.

Why are some more capable than others in these same things?  Well, the answer would likely be the same reason that some are more capable writers, some more capable scientists, some more capable artists than others.  Interest, and a bit of genetics, as well as what I already mentioned about psychological conditioning (I think that's the right term for it).

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 22, 2008, 12:01:33 pm »

I always thought that everyone could do certain things, but some either chose not to, or didn't realize they could.  I still feel that way.  For example, many people are taught that certain things are bad or evil, and thus choose not to do them.  Others are taught that these things simply don't exist, so they don't know that it is possible.  I mean if you think about it, people always claim that their children can 'see' things, and are either surprised by that, or (in some cases) think it some sort of genetic trait.

well, based on my experiences working with lots of different children over a long period of times, I would be inclined to believe that at least some of the ability to talk to spirits and psychism in general *is genetic, but in exactly the same way as being musical or artistic is genetic. It tends to run in families, but that doesn't mean that everyone in that family has the ability or the same levels of it. I don't think being an empath or psychic is any more or less special than being an artist or musician, and in many ways it is similar to those talents-with special care and nurturing they can grow into a lifelong source of joy, but not necessarily. And we are pretty much all born with the *ability to paint and sing, or whatever, but only some of us get interested enough in those things to explore them fully, regardless of our talents.

Why are some more capable than others in these same things?  Well, the answer would likely be the same reason that some are more capable writers, some more capable scientists, some more capable artists than others.  Interest, and a bit of genetics, as well as what I already mentioned about psychological conditioning (I think that's the right term for it).

I think not just psychological conditioning, but cultural conditioning as well. We are not aculturated to accept what we can't see with our external eyes.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 22, 2008, 03:11:29 pm »

It s true that some people do have natural aptitude for certain subjects, or athletics, or art, music, etc. while others have to really try hard to improve. I used to firmly believe that it was the same with psychic abilities. Some people have a natural talent for it, others have to work on it. But, lately I am not so sure.
The reason for my doubts was discovering over the last few years that my brain is "wired" differently than the norm.

Often, psychic abilities have been considered a gift or talent like any other that can be developed. But they are also referred to as the "sixth sense". If they are more of a sensory ability than traditional ability, well, you can't teach someone to see if they have no eyes, or to smell if they have no nose, you know what I mean?

For example, one (out of the multitude) of the sensory-to-brain things I have is synesthesia, for me letters, numbers, things and places are associated with colors
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

There is no way I could teach someone to have synesthesia.  When I was little and was learning my letters I had one of those magnetic boards with magnetic letters, it didn't make sense to me that the colors weren't right. Why was the A was blue when A's are really yellow? My mother had no idea what I was talking about when I asked her.  Tongue

I have a number of these differences where my brain processes sensory information differently than the average person. 

One thing I have noticed is that as I got older I learned to "over-ride" these things and block it out, to the point where it is there but I don't take notice most of the time. Which is what I think happens to a lot of children. Pretty much like you mentioned regarding children being taught that some things don't exist. But on the other hand, if it were so perfectly normal, then it wouldn't be a big deal and wouldn't be discouraged in children the first place.  Huh

So, at this point I am really not sure. I know some people love being special, and a being 3rd or 4th generation witch and all that, but that is not what I am talking about. Actually, in my opinion it's more a matter of being disturbing than being special.

This brought to mind a short story I read years ago about a sighted person being born into a world where blindness was the norm. How do you explain sight under those conditions? The person was labeled insane and they decided that the eyes needed to be cut out so he could be like everyone else.

Anyway, that's just me just throwing some thoughts around.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)