The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 02, 2020, 09:00:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2020, 09:00:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: You Mean That's Not Normal?  (Read 10233 times)
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: August 22, 2008, 03:26:22 pm »

I think not just psychological conditioning, but cultural conditioning as well. We are not aculturated to accept what we can't see with our external eyes.

That is an excellent, excellent point!!  Ghosts, spririts, and reincarnation among other things are commonly accepted in many cultures.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22363115/

http://www.chinaculture.org/gb/en_chinaway/2004-03/17/content_46337.htm

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: August 23, 2008, 08:19:58 am »

well, based on my experiences working with lots of different children over a long period of times, I would be inclined to believe that at least some of the ability to talk to spirits and psychism in general *is genetic, but in exactly the same way as being musical or artistic is genetic. It tends to run in families, but that doesn't mean that everyone in that family has the ability or the same levels of it. I don't think being an empath or psychic is any more or less special than being an artist or musician, and in many ways it is similar to those talents-with special care and nurturing they can grow into a lifelong source of joy, but not necessarily. And we are pretty much all born with the *ability to paint and sing, or whatever, but only some of us get interested enough in those things to explore them fully, regardless of our talents.

I think not just psychological conditioning, but cultural conditioning as well. We are not aculturated to accept what we can't see with our external eyes.

Actually I think you hit on the phrase I was originally looking for.  I just couldn't think of it at the time.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #17: August 23, 2008, 11:10:54 am »

So, at this point I am really not sure. I know some people love being special, and a being 3rd or 4th generation witch and all that, but that is not what I am talking about. Actually, in my opinion it's more a matter of being disturbing than being special.

right, it's not so much a specialness as a burden, or a responsibility. That's a common theme among shamanic practitioners in many cultures, they have a difference or quailty of some kind that makes regular world functioning hard. The challenge is to accept that difference or quality and use it or not. I am not all that special, talented or burdened by my differences, at least not today, but I have been close to some that are. And I have certainly perceived myself as much freakier than anyone around me at various points in my life, I think that is kind of the witchy human condition Wink

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: August 23, 2008, 05:49:39 pm »

I sometimes wonder if more children don't have special gifts too, but it all  gets pushed aside by "rational" adults as children's nonsense.

Maybe, or maybe it's extremely rare to *actually* be gifted like that. One of my cousins (who's two or three now) claims that her dead grandmother visits her. Half the family thinks she does, but personally, I think the kid's just figured out that she'll get an interesting reaction from the adults if she says she talks to grandma. I could definitely see myself doing that as a little kid, so lots probably do.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #19: August 23, 2008, 08:43:18 pm »

Maybe, or maybe it's extremely rare to *actually* be gifted like that. One of my cousins (who's two or three now) claims that her dead grandmother visits her. Half the family thinks she does, but personally, I think the kid's just figured out that she'll get an interesting reaction from the adults if she says she talks to grandma. I could definitely see myself doing that as a little kid, so lots probably do.

Ask her. You'll probably be able to tell if she's pretending, although in my own experience that is not usually something that very young children pretend about.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: August 23, 2008, 09:04:06 pm »

That is a good point. Personally I think age two or three is simply too young, so I am with you on that.  Children don't always see things the way they are either, if they meet Cinderella at Disneyland they often believe they went there and met the real Cinderella. They believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny too, it's a cute part of their world, but not grounded in reality.

One thing adults seem to look for in "gifted" children is the "spooky" stuff, like your example of contacting grandma. The reality of it is, it often shows up in things that can be missed. For example, early one morning while my kids were asleep my dog was looking out the window at another dog running around the yard. I went to get my shoes so I could go out and see if the dog had a tag and I could return it to it's owner, but by the time I got to the door it was gone. My son woke up some time later and asked me where the doggie was, I thought he was talking about our dog and I said she was right there. And he said,  no the other doggie. So, I said it went home and that was that. It was a paranormal experience of a mundane nature, many of them are. It isn't all ghosts, and spirits, and ooky spooky stuff.
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #21: August 23, 2008, 09:17:40 pm »

It was a paranormal experience of a mundane nature, many of them are. It isn't all ghosts, and spirits, and ooky spooky stuff.

but I think that's partly how you can tell if they are pretending, when you query them. I think a very young child will talk about Grandma visiting in a very mundane way, if they are really visiting with her-they won't generally make a big deal about it, b/c in their minds she's not exactly gone. A young child who is working out her stuff about Grandma being gone will talk about her a bit differently, and will often enjoy telling a crowd about it. It's worth it to talk to kids about it, if they are talking a lot about a lost friend, pet or relative. It's helpful to have someone to talk to, no matter what the reality is. A good way to gauge this is to say something like "you really wish she was still here, don't you?" and see how they respond.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: August 23, 2008, 10:13:18 pm »

but I think that's partly how you can tell if they are pretending, when you query them. I think a very young child will talk about Grandma visiting in a very mundane way, if they are really visiting with her-they won't generally make a big deal about it, b/c in their minds she's not exactly gone. A young child who is working out her stuff about Grandma being gone will talk about her a bit differently, and will often enjoy telling a crowd about it. It's worth it to talk to kids about it, if they are talking a lot about a lost friend, pet or relative. It's helpful to have someone to talk to, no matter what the reality is. A good way to gauge this is to say something like "you really wish she was still here, don't you?" and see how they respond.

I'll tell *my* grandma to ask her that. (They live in Virginia). My impression is that she doesn't make a big deal about it, but that still doesn't make me think she's actually talking to her. I think that the adults suggest things by the questions they ask and that's what she's responding to.
This is the sort of conversation they'll have:

"Did Grandma Jean visit you last night?"
"Yes!"
"Does she visit you in your room?"
"Yes!"
"Did she tell you anything?"
"She told me she loves me."
"Are you scared when she visits?"
"No..."

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #23: August 23, 2008, 10:33:28 pm »

I'll tell *my* grandma to ask her that. (They live in Virginia). My impression is that she doesn't make a big deal about it, but that still doesn't make me think she's actually talking to her. I think that the adults suggest things by the questions they ask and that's what she's responding to.
This is the sort of conversation they'll have:

"Did Grandma Jean visit you last night?"
"Yes!"
"Does she visit you in your room?"
"Yes!"
"Did she tell you anything?"
"She told me she loves me."
"Are you scared when she visits?"
"No..."

yeah, if she's being encouraged by adults, that's totally different from a kid who spontaneously starts talking about grandma coming to tuck her in, or whatever. It's too bad though, b/c that's  one of the ways kids stop trusting themselves and their own experience. Even if granny really did stop by and say goodbye on her way out, it makes it pretty hard for the kid to just accept that and move on, if the other adults are making it a big deal.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Odjn
Master Member
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 09:12:20 am

Religion: Supreme Skeptic

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: August 24, 2008, 05:14:37 pm »

What are your abilities and what made you first realize that you were different from the norm?

Paranormal?Huh I awlays thought that these abilites are inherent in all people, some simply choose to either develop and use them or ignore them completely.

I guess I can sense things on a "intuitive" level..sometimes when hardly anyone else does.

I sometimes wonder if more children don't have special gifts too,

I am not so sure of that. Children have VERY active imaginations and because they do not readily make the disctinction between real and fantasy, they often quite readily imagine all sorts of things.

Children are very good at seeing what they want to se or even seeing what they assume others want them to see. We have no way of knowing whether what they see is really from them or simply imaginary activities.

I used to think I could see auras for example but now I realized that all I was really seeing was an illusion caused by retinal fatigue..there was nothing "special" going on..just pure, unadulterated science.
I suspect that as time oes by I will find that my so-called intuition was nothing more than my "subconscious" mind picking up on discreet cues in any given environment and my conscious mind put the rest together.

wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: August 24, 2008, 07:13:24 pm »

Paranormal?Huh I awlays thought that these abilites are inherent in all people, some simply choose to either develop and use them or ignore them completely.

I guess I can sense things on a "intuitive" level..sometimes when hardly anyone else does.

I am not so sure of that. Children have VERY active imaginations and because they do not readily make the disctinction between real and fantasy, they often quite readily imagine all sorts of things.

Children are very good at seeing what they want to se or even seeing what they assume others want them to see. We have no way of knowing whether what they see is really from them or simply imaginary activities.

I used to think I could see auras for example but now I realized that all I was really seeing was an illusion caused by retinal fatigue..there was nothing "special" going on..just pure, unadulterated science.
I suspect that as time oes by I will find that my so-called intuition was nothing more than my "subconscious" mind picking up on discreet cues in any given environment and my conscious mind put the rest together.

That's pretty much what intuition is, based on my experiences.  Some just are more adept at picking up on the clues, and putting them together.  The same, to me, goes for empathy.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #26: August 25, 2008, 12:04:43 am »

and yet some people are pretty good at seeing auras. I'm not, but I know people who are. I think this is in the same vein as some people have a natural ability for any kind of skill, and some people don't. I'm a pretty good cook, for ex...how about you? Smiley

my experience is the same as Wisdomsbane actually. My subconscious mind's cues, and information from the environment  pretty much is the same thing as my intuition. What else would it be?

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: August 25, 2008, 07:16:17 am »

and yet some people are pretty good at seeing auras. I'm not, but I know people who are. I think this is in the same vein as some people have a natural ability for any kind of skill, and some people don't. I'm a pretty good cook, for ex...how about you? Smiley

my experience is the same as Wisdomsbane actually. My subconscious mind's cues, and information from the environment  pretty much is the same thing as my intuition. What else would it be?

Actually I'm a lousy cook.

Agreed on the subconscious mind. Really helps in "sizing people up".
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: August 25, 2008, 07:30:16 am »

You brought up a good point. What is normal and what is paranormal? I do think things like intuition are normal, that some people are just a little better at it. But other things are not the norm. Like knowing the phone will ring and who it will be.

Auras were brought up before and I wasn't really sure on an answer. I think maybe because I have synesthesia and tend to think of people as certain colors anyway. But I don't think that is the same as seeing someones aura. When I close my eyes I usually see purple, some people that is seeing your own aura but I don't know.
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #29: August 25, 2008, 09:47:59 am »

I do think things like intuition are normal, that some people are just a little better at it. But other things are not the norm. Like knowing the phone will ring and who it will be.

Another thing with this is that some people know *every time, some people know sometimes, some people never know at all. Personally I go through waxes and wanes with my psy stuff. Sometimes I'm really on it and it feels like I'm just in flow with the Universe, and sometimes I don't feel connected at all. And in either case, it can go on for a long period of time. I've had enough experience with my psychic ups and downs to just trust that it will both go away and come back again, eventually. One thing that really helped me with this was to learn how to use my natural skills-I found a couple of teachers, and learned a little bit about how to control them and use them appropriately. And to me, this is as necessary as knowing how to make spaghetti or sew a button on, a basic life skill.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)