The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 02, 2020, 09:42:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2020, 09:42:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: You Mean That's Not Normal?  (Read 10234 times)
hobbitatheart
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 24, 2008, 12:58:08 pm
United States United States

Religion: random Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: September 10, 2008, 03:00:34 pm »

Some members with paranormal abilities have stated that they had assumed everyone had the same abilities until they realized that it wasn't the norm. Usually these are people who have had their abilities for as long as they can remember and basically grew up using them along with the standard five senses. 

It may not seem to be the norm for most people, but psychism runs in my family. It's always been a fairly normal things for us, even if most of the people in my family don't actively pursue their talents. According to my grandmother, my grandfather (who was a no-nonsense Christian man) did a lot of astral projection during sleep. She didn't use the term (she probably didn't know it) but she told me how he described the experience of "leaving his body and wandering around." My cousin has had psychic dreams since childhood. The best example I can give there is that my grandmother keeps no pictures of her father because he was "not a nice man" (her way of saying he was abusive, I believe) so none of us have ever seen what he looked like but my cousin had a dream about him one night and described his appearance in detail, and it was close enough to freak my grandmother out a little. My own talents are less noteworthy. I tend to know random things that some could attribute to either high perceptiveness or good reasoning skills. Sometimes out of nowhere I'll think about a song or a particular episode of a tv show I haven't seen in a long time and the next day the song's on the radio or that episode comes on tv, which someone could attribute entirely to coincidence and I wouldn't argue with them even if I don't agree. I'm also quite good at "reading" people, correctly interpreting their general thoughts and emotions and how they'll react to things, but that could just be perceptiveness and good social skills. The only noteworthy and (mostly) undeniable demonstration of psychic ability is that I can accurately guess the gender of unborn babies. A fairly useless talent, sure, but a fun one. The last time I made a guess I was sure the baby was a girl but the ultrasound seemed to show a boy, so I was a bit disappointed I'd gotten it wrong. . . a few months later, out pops the kid, and was indeed a girl.

I've always known that I have a mild psychic talent, so there was never any particular moment of realization or revelation. Though the one aspect of the subject that did come as something of a revelation was when I started working with card divination. I'd always heard the term "third eye" and considered to be nothing more than a metaphor, but when I started doing tarot readings my third eye made itself known. During readings I get a physical sensation where the third eye is supposed to be. I'd say it's something in between pressure and a kind of tingling, and I don't know if anyone else gets that or it's just me. It was disconcerting at first, because initially when I began using cards I didn't think of it as divination in the traditional sense. I thought of it more as a way for my subsconious mind to relay information to my conscious mind, information I already knew but wasn't aware that I knew, so when my third eye made itself known, it freaked me out a little. I've grown used to it. I actually think everyone has at least some level of psychic talent, though the majority ignore it so long it kind of atrophies. But I think it's more normal than Western society realizes.

"As long as there's cake, there's hope. And there's always cake." - Dean Koontz, Life Expectancy

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: September 12, 2008, 10:25:21 pm »

I've always known that I have a mild psychic talent, so there was never any particular moment of realization or revelation. Though the one aspect of the subject that did come as something of a revelation was when I started working with card divination. I'd always heard the term "third eye" and considered to be nothing more than a metaphor, but when I started doing tarot readings my third eye made itself known. During readings I get a physical sensation where the third eye is supposed to be. I'd say it's something in between pressure and a kind of tingling, and I don't know if anyone else gets that or it's just me. It was disconcerting at first, because initially when I began using cards I didn't think of it as divination in the traditional sense. I thought of it more as a way for my subsconious mind to relay information to my conscious mind, information I already knew but wasn't aware that I knew, so when my third eye made itself known, it freaked me out a little. I've grown used to it. I actually think everyone has at least some level of psychic talent, though the majority ignore it so long it kind of atrophies. But I think it's more normal than Western society realizes.

Wow. That is very interesting about the third eye sensation, I had not heard of that before.  I think you are right about the atrophy, even I get rusty in some areas if I don't keep in practice enough.

It may not seem to be the norm for most people, but psychism runs in my family. It's always been a fairly normal things for us, even if most of the people in my family don't actively pursue their talents. According to my grandmother, my grandfather (who was a no-nonsense Christian man) did a lot of astral projection during sleep. She didn't use the term (she probably didn't know it) but she told me how he described the experience of "leaving his body and wandering around." My cousin has had psychic dreams since childhood. The best example I can give there is that my grandmother keeps no pictures of her father because he was "not a nice man" (her way of saying he was abusive, I believe) so none of us have ever seen what he looked like but my cousin had a dream about him one night and described his appearance in detail, and it was close enough to freak my grandmother out a little. My own talents are less noteworthy. I tend to know random things that some could attribute to either high perceptiveness or good reasoning skills. Sometimes out of nowhere I'll think about a song or a particular episode of a tv show I haven't seen in a long time and the next day the song's on the radio or that episode comes on tv, which someone could attribute entirely to coincidence and I wouldn't argue with them even if I don't agree. I'm also quite good at "reading" people, correctly interpreting their general thoughts and emotions and how they'll react to things, but that could just be perceptiveness and good social skills. The only noteworthy and (mostly) undeniable demonstration of psychic ability is that I can accurately guess the gender of unborn babies. A fairly useless talent, sure, but a fun one. The last time I made a guess I was sure the baby was a girl but the ultrasound seemed to show a boy, so I was a bit disappointed I'd gotten it wrong. . . a few months later, out pops the kid, and was indeed a girl.

That is how it pretty much is for me too. Mostly a lot of mundane stuff that I just know. Some things could be explained as coincidence or just being perceptive, other stuff not so much.
tigerlily717
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2010, 01:07:27 pm

Religion: witch

ThinkPositively LiveIntentionally LoveGenerously

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: September 12, 2008, 11:53:32 pm »

One thing adults seem to look for in "gifted" children is the "spooky" stuff, like your example of contacting grandma. The reality of it is, it often shows up in things that can be missed. For example, early one morning while my kids were asleep my dog was looking out the window at another dog running around the yard. I went to get my shoes so I could go out and see if the dog had a tag and I could return it to it's owner, but by the time I got to the door it was gone. My son woke up some time later and asked me where the doggie was, I thought he was talking about our dog and I said she was right there. And he said,  no the other doggie. So, I said it went home and that was that. It was a paranormal experience of a mundane nature, many of them are. It isn't all ghosts, and spirits, and ooky spooky stuff.
I have three funny specific instances to in regard to mundane paranormality...

One day I am in the kitchen with my dad, my younger brother (Jon) who can barely make proper sentences sat on the floor playing, and I'm asking dad for answers to my crossword puzzle.  A three letter word for goal.  We thought forever while my brother sang some strange rambling, and we kept telling him to hold on, and be quiet for a minute while we think.  We were finally stumped and decided to give up, and ended up listening to my 2 or 3 year old bro sing  A - I - M...  A - I - M...  A - I - M.

Another day, the same three of us (brother in a stroller) were walking along when Jon says "I want to go down that street, that's where the fire trucks was."  We said "Yeah, sure, whatever."  Lo and behold, a house that had been on fire was all boarded up at the end of that street.  The fire had clearly been out for a while, at least weeks, maybe months.  He had never been down that street before or even down the street we were on leading to it.

So my family had this nickname for my nephew Norman while a newborn, which was Nemo.  As we were calling him this, Jon (who was no more than 3 or 4 at the time) randomly says "Oh! I love their hotdogs".  Okay, first of all, I'm not sure he had even eaten a hotdog at this point in his life, but nonetheless...  My dad informs me that he used to eat at a hotdog place called Nemo's when he was a young boy/teen.

We decided Jon was gifted.  He is not into the occult as far as we know.  But then again, we in my family keeps secrets well.
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: September 13, 2008, 09:48:46 am »

We decided Jon was gifted.  He is not into the occult as far as we know.  But then again, we in my family keeps secrets well.

I totally agree that Jon is gifted. That is the kind of thing I have often noticed with gifted children. It is a lot of mundane things that could easily be overlooked if you are not paying attention. People tend to look for the spooky bits (thanks to the Poltergeist movie) when in reality it is more like the things you described. 
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #34: September 13, 2008, 01:03:14 pm »

I totally agree that Jon is gifted. That is the kind of thing I have often noticed with gifted children. It is a lot of mundane things that could easily be overlooked if you are not paying attention. People tend to look for the spooky bits (thanks to the Poltergeist movie) when in reality it is more like the things you described. 

one of the things I love about my job is when this kind of thing (very rarely) comes up in classroom settings. Things like knowing that their friend won't be at school b/c she/he's sick, when they have had no direct information about that, and so on. I have never met a parent  yet who recognized their kids' abilities as unusual, though. Or at least they didn't want to share it with their kid's teacher, which of course makes sense, and I would never ask directly-it certainly is not a topic of discussion in your average parent/teacher conference Wink However, I really don't think of the two or three kids I've known in 23 years of teaching who were clearly psychically gifted that their parents were aware of it, at least not  at the time that I knew them.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: September 13, 2008, 05:59:37 pm »

one of the things I love about my job is when this kind of thing (very rarely) comes up in classroom settings. Things like knowing that their friend won't be at school b/c she/he's sick, when they have had no direct information about that, and so on. I have never met a parent  yet who recognized their kids' abilities as unusual, though. Or at least they didn't want to share it with their kid's teacher, which of course makes sense, and I would never ask directly-it certainly is not a topic of discussion in your average parent/teacher conference Wink However, I really don't think of the two or three kids I've known in 23 years of teaching who were clearly psychically gifted that their parents were aware of it, at least not  at the time that I knew them.

Okay, now that my hysterical laughter over the parent teacher conference has stopped  Cheesy....

I agree, it always seems to be the kids who aren't gifted (no matter what the talent) where parents insist the child is gifted. And just the opposite where the gifted often go un-noticed by the parent.

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: September 13, 2008, 08:49:51 pm »

Okay, now that my hysterical laughter over the parent teacher conference has stopped  Cheesy....

I agree, it always seems to be the kids who aren't gifted (no matter what the talent) where parents insist the child is gifted. And just the opposite where the gifted often go un-noticed by the parent.

Proper proud mommy voice

Oh my children are extremely gifted.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #37: September 14, 2008, 12:56:08 am »

Proper proud mommy voice

Oh my children are extremely gifted.

i love saying to these ladies in my most twinkly, vapid, preschool teacher voice "all children are special, aren't they?" And then most of them know they won't be getting any juice out of me, and stop themselves.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #38: September 14, 2008, 11:41:34 am »

i love saying to these ladies in my most twinkly, vapid, preschool teacher voice "all children are special, aren't they?" And then most of them know they won't be getting any juice out of me, and stop themselves.

And yet you state that those few children that *you believe are gifted have parents that don't recognize it.  Perhaps they are simply disinclined to discuss it with you.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #39: September 14, 2008, 08:10:52 pm »

And yet you state that those few children that *you believe are gifted have parents that don't recognize it.  Perhaps they are simply disinclined to discuss it with you.

Absent

right, I stated that in a post downthread Smiley

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

tigerlily717
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2010, 01:07:27 pm

Religion: witch

ThinkPositively LiveIntentionally LoveGenerously

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: September 15, 2008, 02:35:10 pm »

I am with you on this 100%, I have met people like this.  LOL.  I feel bad for the kids sometimes, they don't even think what they are doing is special, and say things like my friends and I do that all the time, what?
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #41: September 29, 2008, 04:50:37 pm »

I would like to hear what experiences others may have had upon realizing that their paranormal abilities were not commonplace.
I wouldn't call it paranormal abilities, but I found out that I percieve stuff in a way not everyone does. I don't know if other people don't get empathic impressions or similar stuff at all or if they get it at a subconscious level, but don't pay attention. I'm more inclined to believe that they don't pay attention, because I've learned myself not to pay too much attention of what I've formerly thought of being just my overactive infantile imagination. And I've learned not to talk about it anyway, because nobody else talked about it. So I thought it was just stupid daydreams nobody sees important enough to mention. But since I began to take it more seriously, the experiences intensified.

If you have a story to share I would love to hear it.
I have some recollections of miscommunications. Wink

On rare occassions when I did talk about it I was startled that others didn't understand. For example I've worked in a medical herbs garden and I started to sometimes get (very hazy though) impressions of the energies of some plants. I didn't know what it was I was percieving and thought that if you just look closely at a herb you can guess from its shape what it's good for. (Like if you look at a face you get intuitive feelings about mood, age, character from the person.) So I thought it was just a skill of putting cues together requiring experience and knowledge. I thought my boss must have a huge skill in that since she was working with plants much longer than me and I was just starting to recognize 'their faces'. But then a bit later she asked me if I like working with herbs. I said 'yes', we talked a bit and somewhere in the conversation I mentioned how fascinating I find the 'fact' that you get an incling about what they are good for when you look at their shapes for a while. She must have had one of he best laughs of her life and teased me days afterwards about my medieval concepts...  Cheesy

I had especially problems to not mix up 'psychic' impressions with 'normal' intuition. Once I had a conversation with a friend about how you realize when someone is in love with you. We got into the intuition area alright, but when I started to describe the energy projection I was feeling when I'm in one room with somebody in love with me she didn't understand what I was talking about. I find this kind of stuff very confusing. There are so many phrases in our daily languages like 'love in the air' or 'thick air' (in German) for a room full of argument, yet when you say stuff like 'if someone in the same room is in love with you, the air feels like a kitchen full of sweet steam from cooked fruits' people frown at you.  Roll Eyes

Another funny conversation was with a nature-loving Christian. I'm not sure how much of this comes down to 'psychich skills' or if it's just that my brain is wired to think occult. The conversation went something like this:

Christian: How sad it is that many people nowadays don't enjoy nature anymore. I love to meditavely walk through the forest.

me (naively thinking of having finally met a fellow): Yeah, I do that too! But you know, at least kids adore nature. I've met a lot who were fascinated about animals.

Christian: Yes, usually the big and impressive sort.

me: I think kids are also fascinated by little animals, because every kind of animal has specific powers.

Christian: (awkward pause) um...yes...an ant can lift much more than its own weight.

At that point I did finally pay attention to the cross she was wearing.  Cheesy

What are your abilities and what made you first realize that you were different from the norm?
With empathic stuff and occult thinking it was funny (mis-)conversations like the ones above. With some stuff I didn't know it was outside the norm at all or maybe I had an incling about it and didn't want to examine it too closely. For example I did visualize some sort of sphere around my bike to protect it from being stolen or damaged. I just thought it was my fantasy playing like if you invent a funny sci-fi story to escape boredom while sitting in the bus. I didn't know that visualizing spheres around something was considered magic until I stumbled across Pagans in the net.

Was there one defining moment or was it a gradual realization? or maybe you always knew?
So it was a gradual realization with some defining moments (like my boss laughing her ass off at me).

What was your reaction to the realization? Did you feel a need to hide your abilities, to keep your "differentness" to yourself or did you have a supportive environment where you were free to develope and explore your talents?
I've always felt being not normal, but it never came down to 'psychic' stuff, but more to being a dreamy and nerdy kid that wasn't accepted the way it was. I always tried to be as normal as I could, what didn't work out very well, because I didn't understand why others didn't accept me as normal. When I found out that I really percieve some stuff differently than most others I was first shocked because it ripped my hope of becoming normal apart. But then I was also glad to have found out what it was that didn't make me feel normal and that I'm normal in many aspects after all, but slightly different in just one thing. Also I felt I wasn't quite so unnormal as I had feared before, because there were others who had experienced similar stuff. So after some thought I wasn't a freak at all, but just belonged to a minority. And there are so many minorities around that nearly everyone belongs to one of them, so maybe I'm completly normal after all.  Grin (Your brain still working after that chain of logic?)  Cheesy

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: September 30, 2008, 11:00:59 pm »

Also I felt I wasn't quite so unnormal as I had feared before, because there were others who had experienced similar stuff. So after some thought I wasn't a freak at all, but just belonged to a minority. And there are so many minorities around that nearly everyone belongs to one of them, so maybe I'm completly normal after all.  Grin (Your brain still working after that chain of logic?)  Cheesy

You said so many things I believe are true. I particularly like the last sentence about not being alone just belonging to a minority.  Smiley
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #43: October 01, 2008, 09:25:01 am »

You said so many things I believe are true. I particularly like the last sentence about not being alone just belonging to a minority.  Smiley
Thanks for reading, my post was way long. Smiley

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)