The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 08, 2020, 04:58:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 08, 2020, 04:58:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What have your religious/spiritual beliefs given you?  (Read 10003 times)
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 18, 2008, 09:48:47 pm »

This is a topic that gets touched upon a lot, and I would like to pose a question to you.  This question is for those of you who have found a religion and/or belief system that you feel fits you.

What do you have now, that you didn’t have before?

By this I mean, what has your religion/spiritual beliefs* given to you that you were lacking before you ‘found’ your religion/spirituality?*

* not to leave out those of you who are atheist; that is a belief also

You can be as broad or as precise as you like  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:09:24 pm by Juniper, Reason: wording error » Logged

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm
United States United States

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 19, 2008, 02:34:08 am »

This is a topic that gets touched upon a lot, and I would like to pose a question to you.  This question is for those of you who have found a religion and/or belief system that you feel fits you.

By this I mean, what has your religion/spiritual beliefs* given to you that you were lacking before you ‘found’ your religion/spirituality?*

I'm not sure exactly what it has given me.  I would say nothing, really.  Most of my beliefs were derived before I ever "found" my religion.  Maybe, a name, an idea of what I am?  I do understand what you mean by the question, I just don't think I have the right answer for you. 

I mean, most of the religious beliefs I have now, I have had for a long time, but had nothing to actually call them.  For example, I practiced magic, before I felt "right" calling it magic.  The same with other beliefs.

On second thought, my religion has given me a bit of a sense of self, or more correctly comfort with myself, and what I believe in, and do.  It has given me... myself.  If that makes any sense.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: August 19, 2008, 05:11:40 am »

Since accepting I don't believe in magic, gods, spirits, etc, I no longer feel like I'm trying to force pieces of a puzzle in my own life.  I accept the world the way it is, without trying to explain how all that I know to be real is compatible with X Y or Z.  In short, I've freed up thinking power from trying to explain the world as something it doesn't appear to be.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: August 19, 2008, 07:05:11 am »

A sense of stability and structure.

I had all these beliefs before, but now I've got a framework to put them in.  And that makes other things clear, and it keeps going.  It's rather nice.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 19, 2008, 09:51:53 am »

A community.

Before I found the Kemetic Orthodoxy (KO), I felt alone and separated.  A square peg surrounded by round holes.  I felt sad about not fitting in with local communities and groups, but I wasn't about to force myself to be something I wasn't, just so I could call myself "XYZ" and be part of a community.  When I discovered, and later joined, the KO, I felt like I found that perfect square hole for me. I didn't have to change, I was accepted (with great eagerness) just the way that I am.

Finding that community and finding that fellowship felt like finding home.

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)
Caomi_Brannon
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 11:46:07 am

Religion: Leanaí Laochra: Eireannach Tradition

I write, therefore I live.

Blog entries (1)

amma.dennis

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 19, 2008, 02:30:58 pm »

A sense of self. I always knew I was witch. I grew up in a Christian household, but abandoned that at age 5. I spent many, many years lost and travelling in my faith until I found Her. Or, rather, She found me. Poke poke 'Hey! Pay ATTENTION to me!" ANd here I am.

I can't say that religion has answered any questions for me, but it makes me not want to ask them and just accept that some things just.... are.

Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 19, 2008, 02:44:45 pm »

A sense of connection to reality.  Before I worked this out, I always felt disconnected from life, like I was somehow missing the point.  Since then, I feel like I've found the point and I just need to figure out what it means.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #7: August 19, 2008, 03:03:53 pm »

I'm going to do this in two parts...

First, as opposed to the religion I was raised in.  Honestly?  I don't think I was lacking anything per se.  The church I grew up in taught values that, by and large, are very compatible with those I hold now.  There was a great community, very supportive.  There was structure, there was great music, I was encouraged to think for myself, I was given quality religious instruction...  I could go on.  And on the spiritual side of it, I did have those experiences occasionally as well.  There's a very good UPG-type reason why I believe the Christian God exists and deserves my respect in some ways even if I don't feel called to follow Him.  I didn't leave because it lacked anything in particular.  (Actually, in some purely practical senses, I lost stuff when I left, if you think about it.)  I left because it just wasn't for me in a more general sense.  I just didn't feel any connection to it.  And...  I guess that is a lack, sort of, but I never thought of it that way.  I wasn't sitting around thinking, "Gee, I wish I had a connection to something."  You know?

Second, as opposed to the time I spent wandering about Paganism before settling on Hellenic Paganism.  I think structure is the big one here, a framework to express the things running around in my head, an idea of where to start with doing things instead of just believing.  I used to think it didn't matter, that I didn't need any of that structure stuff, but I do.  I really do.  I'm in some danger of stagnating even with it, but without it I'd just be adrift.

I don't think this is exactly what you were looking for, but it also gives me a sense of obligation, to do certain things and perform certain duties.  I've been bad about that obligation lately, and I feel badly about that, like I've let the Gods and my Patron particularly down.  I suppose if you want to phrase it in terms of positives, you could say it gives me motivation to continue doing religious stuff.  I really didn't have that before, in either context.  At church, I did things because they were just what you did, not because I felt any particular drive to do them.  After that, there were no set things to do, so I generally didn't bother much.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 19, 2008, 08:50:52 pm »

Since accepting I don't believe in magic, gods, spirits, etc, I no longer feel like I'm trying to force pieces of a puzzle in my own life.  I accept the world the way it is, without trying to explain how all that I know to be real is compatible with X Y or Z.  In short, I've freed up thinking power from trying to explain the world as something it doesn't appear to be.

It definitely sounds as though you have found a sense of freedom.

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Juniper
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 19, 2008, 08:53:27 pm »

A sense of self.

Me too  Smiley

My spiritual beliefs have also caused me to look at the world around me in a different light. I'm not as negative as I used to be.

Side note: I'm really enjoying reading everyone's responses.

Of white and black
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 19, 2008, 09:07:04 pm »

Ah, a list...

1.  Peace
2.  Freedom from sin-related guilt and shame
3.  Freedom to be myself
4.  Venue to explore magic as well as various types of spirituality
5.  Happiness

*Síocháin*
leigh137
Journeyman
Last Login:February 05, 2009, 03:07:55 pm

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 21, 2008, 01:09:38 pm »

A sense of peace and wellbeing. I know that things will work out as they will, and I believe it now. I never did before.

"You must have faith... That the universe will unfold as it should."
Odjn
Master Member
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 09:12:20 am

Religion: Supreme Skeptic

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 24, 2008, 05:25:16 pm »

By this I mean, what has your religion/spiritual beliefs given to you that you were lacking before you found your religion/spirituality?

Nothing. Spirituality does not come being trained to believe in symbols nor can anyone or any doctrine tell you what spirituality really is..if in fact it even exists.

I never believed in deities, miracles or really even magic. The doctrines I sifted through did nothing to help me feel like I mattered in this life or that I even had a place in this world. In fact I feel worse than I ever did before and I feel I have been duped by all the books I read claiming to have some morsel of truth. I am disillusioned,dissappointed and I had to re-learn that this so-called spirituality cannot ever come from any book,doctrine or self procalimed "master" or guru.

Yeah..I am bitter.

wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 24, 2008, 07:10:21 pm »

Nothing. Spirituality does not come being trained to believe in symbols nor can anyone or any doctrine tell you what spirituality really is..if in fact it even exists.

I never believed in deities, miracles or really even magic. The doctrines I sifted through did nothing to help me feel like I mattered in this life or that I even had a place in this world. In fact I feel worse than I ever did before and I feel I have been duped by all the books I read claiming to have some morsel of truth. I am disillusioned,dissappointed and I had to re-learn that this so-called spirituality cannot ever come from any book,doctrine or self procalimed "master" or guru.

Yeah..I am bitter.

Then answer based on what your current spiritual beliefs have given you.  In what way have your own beliefs benefitted you as a person, as part of a community, etc.?  In what way have they justified your existence, or helped you justify your own?  It's not about what beliefs you held before, or what you have read in the past, but what you have become, what you are and what you believe now.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
Odjn
Master Member
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 09:12:20 am

Religion: Supreme Skeptic

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 25, 2008, 03:04:21 pm »

In what way have your own beliefs benefitted you as a person, as part of a community, etc.?  In what way have they justified your existence, or helped you justify your own?

No benefit, no justifications. Nothing.

In what way have your own beliefs benefitted you as a person, as part of a community, etc.?

I really have no beliefs anymore. I either think or I don't think. I am endeavoring to eliminate the word "belief" from my personal vocabulary.
Sorry..can't give you anything overly interesting.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.