The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2020, 02:46:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 02:46:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Chaos Magic Group Work  (Read 8077 times)
Go
Journeyman
Last Login:May 30, 2011, 10:32:23 pm
United States United States

Religion: A Process

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 18, 2008, 10:13:46 pm »

I have never come across a "Chaos Coven".  I loosely define myself as a Chaos Magician, and I enjoy group work from time to time.  What's a Chaote to do?  While I can certainly perform Chaos inspired rituals and magic on my own, there are certain activities that just require a group.  For example, it's pretty difficult to perform a multi-part chant in the round by yourself.  So, what do I do?  Personally I've chosen to join and work with more conventionally Pagan groups because that's what exists in my area.  This doesn't conflict with my beliefs, and for the most part it doesn't seem to bother the people I work with.  (The exception being idealogical disagreements.)

So, to my fellow Chaotes, are you willing to work with non-chaos groups, or do you choose to go it alone?

For non-chaotes, does the idea of a Chaos Magician in your circle bother you?  Or do you find it acceptable?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:17:28 pm by RandallS, Reason: Subject Modified » Logged

Measure twice, cut once, and buy extra material anyway.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2019, 05:48:46 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: August 18, 2008, 10:22:20 pm »

For non-chaotes, does the idea of a Chaos Magician in your circle bother you?  Or do you find it acceptable?

I've worked with Chaos Magicians before without much problem. They just need to share a common goal for the working and be able to work with others -- the same requirements any non-chaote would have to meet.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 19, 2008, 12:37:09 am »

So, to my fellow Chaotes, are you willing to work with non-chaos groups, or do you choose to go it alone?

I have, on the rare occasion, worked with local pagan and/or magickal groups, although they aren't aware that I am a Chaote, which seems to be part of your question.

Generally, I prefer to go it alone, although I'd love to have a magickal partner at times ...
Go
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 19, 2008, 03:00:40 am »

I have, on the rare occasion, worked with local pagan and/or magickal groups, although they aren't aware that I am a Chaote, which seems to be part of your question.

Generally, I prefer to go it alone, although I'd love to have a magickal partner at times ...

Did the question of what you believed not come up during these group activities?  I'm just curious as I tend to have some idea of the preferences of those I work with.  It helps me know what to expect from them. 

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2019, 05:48:46 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: August 19, 2008, 08:14:17 am »

Did the question of what you believed not come up during these group activities?  I'm just curious as I tend to have some idea of the preferences of those I work with.  It helps me know what to expect from them. 

In general, I could care less what people believe in magical work (which is separate from my religion).  As for my religion, it is orthopraxic, so anyone willing to perform the rituals correctly is doing all that is really needed, whether their beliefs are correct isn't generally of much importance.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Neriandal Freit
Master Member
Last Login:May 22, 2011, 10:34:22 am

Religion: Pagan

Dancing under the moonlit stars

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 19, 2008, 09:01:38 am »

I have never come across a "Chaos Coven".  I loosely define myself as a Chaos Magician, and I enjoy group work from time to time.  What's a Chaote to do?  While I can certainly perform Chaos inspired rituals and magic on my own, there are certain activities that just require a group.  For example, it's pretty difficult to perform a multi-part chant in the round by yourself.  So, what do I do?  Personally I've chosen to join and work with more conventionally Pagan groups because that's what exists in my area.  This doesn't conflict with my beliefs, and for the most part it doesn't seem to bother the people I work with.  (The exception being idealogical disagreements.)

Ok, so I'm not quiet sure I know what Chaos Magic(k) is yet. I've loosely have looked over it from time to time but never have quiet got the grasp of what it is for a person to practice it.

Enlightenment?

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 09:09:38 am by Star, Reason: BBcode fixed, I hope » Logged
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 19, 2008, 10:38:35 am »

It's never come up, really.  I have a general understanding of their beliefs, from interacting with them, and I guess they assume I have similar ones.  Which, depending on the day/hour/minute, could indeed be the case Wink

I'm not sure I understand what you might be preparing yourself to "expect" from them, though ?
Go
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 19, 2008, 05:24:05 pm »

It's never come up, really.  I have a general understanding of their beliefs, from interacting with them, and I guess they assume I have similar ones.  Which, depending on the day/hour/minute, could indeed be the case Wink

I'm not sure I understand what you might be preparing yourself to "expect" from them, though ?

Well, a person will follow a set of instructions differently depending on their operational belief structure.  A Wiccan and a Rootworker will have very different approaches to preparing candles for example.  If I'm asking someone to cast a circle it helps to know if they will do that as a ceremonial magician or an elementalist.  Basically if assigning parts/responsibilities in a ritual it helps to know the strengths, weaknesses, and preferences of the people I'm assigning them to.  That's what I meant by knowing what to expect. 

Go
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 19, 2008, 05:28:06 pm »

Ok, so I'm not quiet sure I know what Chaos Magic(k) is yet. I've loosely have looked over it from time to time but never have quiet got the grasp of what it is for a person to practice it.

Enlightenment?

It's difficult to explain Chaos magic simply, because the practitioners vary so widely.  It does seem to imply a few things tough.  Most Chaos magicians (or Chaotes) see belief as a tool, something to be adopted or discarded depending on usefulness.  Another common thread is that of re-programming the self.  And many Chaotes also practice results focused magic. 

Neriandal Freit
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 20, 2008, 12:00:27 am »

It's difficult to explain Chaos magic simply, because the practitioners vary so widely.  It does seem to imply a few things tough.  Most Chaos magicians (or Chaotes) see belief as a tool, something to be adopted or discarded depending on usefulness.  Another common thread is that of re-programming the self.  And many Chaotes also practice results focused magic. 

Still confused but lessened Tongue
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 20, 2008, 12:40:41 am »

Pssst, Neri..... http://www.ecauldron.com/chaosmagicprimer.php

Wink

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 20, 2008, 12:55:15 am »

Enlightenment?

From the little I've read, and understood about it, the Magician decides what they think will be the most productive way to do a working. They then change their mindset (for lack of better word) so that it reflects that way. Example being, if they think that a Wiccan ritual will be the best for their working, for the duration of said working, they change their beliefs to Wiccan. Once the working is complete, they can change their beliefs to another mindset, knowing that since they believed they were Wiccan while doing the working, it was successful. They may then decide for their next working, Ceremonial Magic would be best, so for that one they would believe themselves to be a Ceremonial Mage, etc. IIRC, most make sure that they have at least an idea of basics of whatever system they are working with.

Please anyone, if I'm completely off base with the above, let me know. As I said, I've just started reading on it. Smiley

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Neriandal Freit
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 20, 2008, 07:49:38 pm »

From the little I've read, and understood about it, the Magician decides what they think will be the most productive way to do a working. They then change their mindset (for lack of better word) so that it reflects that way. Example being, if they think that a Wiccan ritual will be the best for their working, for the duration of said working, they change their beliefs to Wiccan. Once the working is complete, they can change their beliefs to another mindset, knowing that since they believed they were Wiccan while doing the working, it was successful. They may then decide for their next working, Ceremonial Magic would be best, so for that one they would believe themselves to be a Ceremonial Mage, etc. IIRC, most make sure that they have at least an idea of basics of whatever system they are working with.

Please anyone, if I'm completely off base with the above, let me know. As I said, I've just started reading on it. Smiley

Ah...quiet the chaos  Shocked
Go
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 22, 2008, 01:38:14 pm »

What is the most confusing part for you?  Is there something in particular that doesn't make sense to you?  Perhaps I could give a better answer if you could narrow down the question a bit for me. 

obsidianmagick
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 12, 2010, 06:38:24 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: N/A

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: April 12, 2010, 06:03:25 am »

idealogical disagreements

What kind of idealogical disagreements do Chaos Magicians have with other pagans exactly?  just curious...

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)