The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2020, 01:49:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 01:49:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Casting a circle  (Read 7720 times)
SethR
Apprentice
Last Login:February 27, 2011, 10:09:50 am
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic

Blessed Be

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 22, 2008, 02:38:47 pm »

I've read a few instructions on how to cast a circle (and there are many out there!), however they all tend to be really long... My question is this: Does casting a circle have to take a long time? I mean, it's one of the most basic things out there. Why should it be really long? I understand that it's the process of "building a temple," however, is it not possible to accomplish the same with a short little rhyme?
 I was walking home from school one day and one just came to me... I'll share if anybody wants me to, but it's kind of personalized ('cause it came to me, right?)
Thanks!
Seth

Live, Laugh, Love

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Redhound666
Journeyman
Last Login:November 29, 2008, 04:18:07 pm

Religion: Tell You When I Have Found It ;)

The Master of the Elements Lives Forever

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 22, 2008, 03:52:52 pm »

I've read a few instructions on how to cast a circle (and there are many out there!), however they all tend to be really long... My question is this: Does casting a circle have to take a long time? I mean, it's one of the most basic things out there. Why should it be really long? I understand that it's the process of "building a temple," however, is it not possible to accomplish the same with a short little rhyme?
 I was walking home from school one day and one just came to me... I'll share if anybody wants me to, but it's kind of personalized ('cause it came to me, right?)
Thanks!
Seth

Hello! /waves/

I believe that casting a circle is a personal thing. If you have something that works, be it a rhyme or a long ritual, than continue using it. Just be respectful.  Smiley

And also, those instructions are more like guidelines and idea sparkers. Have fun with it.  Grin

Good Luck Seth!

Please help my dragons grow!
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2019, 05:48:46 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: August 22, 2008, 05:17:30 pm »

No, it doesn't have to take a long time. However, if you are not experienced in casting circles doing it the long way will increase your chance of doing it correctly. You will be forced to spend more time at it and therefore more concentration and energy.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
hobbitatheart
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 24, 2008, 12:58:08 pm

Religion: random Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 22, 2008, 05:37:06 pm »

I'm a big fan creating your own rituals, prayers, spells, what have you. If you don't have a knack for writing, your creations may not sound quite as good or poetic as the ones you find in a book, but because they're yours, they mean more. Also, if you pick a passage that's too long and can't remember it very well, stumbling over the verse would probably kill the ambiance.

I've never felt much of a need to cast a circle. It was one of those elements of Wicca that I felt didn't really apply to me. Some of the circle chants I've come across, though, are quite beautiful.

"As long as there's cake, there's hope. And there's always cake." - Dean Koontz, Life Expectancy
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 22, 2008, 06:14:35 pm »

It's possible to accomplish the whole thing in your head, no rhyme needed. That said, there are some really good reasons to take longer.

1) If you're working with other people, the language and actions help you share the experience, and get into sync with each other. Taking the short-cuts can work if you have people with long experience with each other and the system you're using - but a bunch of the other issues below still apply.

2) Taking your time helps *you* get into the appropriate mindset. There's two parts to this; the part about leaving your mundane worries and concerns behind. There's also the part about preparing mentally for the work you're doing.

If that's magic, you want to take every step you can to help focus your attention on your goal (and you can reinforce that in many many small ways throughout the process of setting up circle.) If you're honoring deities, it's rude, in my opinion, to rush through the process just to save a little time - the deities I've worked with all appreciate attention to detail, carefully chosen phrases or focus of the ritual, etc. It's like getting the house ready for an honoured guest - cleaning is important, but they're also going to notice that you took the time to present the meal nicely, put flowers on the table, and use the nice linens. (Or whatever makes sense for that guest.)

In other words, 'efficiency' and 'saving time' are not generally my own goals when I'm doing stuff. Other stuff is more important to me, and I make choices accordingly.

3) Each time I do the long-form versions, I deepen channels in my brain about what happens next. It gets easier and easier to slide into that ritual mindset, and to start using the heightened attention that comes with it earlier in the ritual process. This makes for more effective workings for me, and frankly, ones I enjoy more. (In other words, doing it this way is more likely to produce significant and meaningful ritual experiences for me.)

4) All those lines of  text? There are circle casts out there where you have 12 lines of "Look, here is a circle now" repeated over and over again. But honestly, most of the ones I've seen that survive over time are far more specific. In both the one for my new coven, and the one I worked with in my former group, each line - each *phrase* of the circle cast text has a specific and distinct purpose. They can't just be condensed into "Look, circle now!" any more than a symphony can be reduced to its first theme.

You may get an effective circle, and you may get a nice melody - but those things aren't totally equal to or interchangable with the longer process.

5) There's the emotion part.

Frankly, if I'm not willing to spend 10 minutes in preparation, and 20 minutes or so in set-up, that's probably a good sign to me that either I *need* to be thinking much more about what I'm doing (i.e. I'm acting in the heat of a strong emotion, and possibly making some poor choices) or it's a sign I don't really care about that outcome. I've learned to be aware of why I'm seeking an 'easier' or 'faster' solution, and to ask very carefully what I gain by doing that, and what I lose. Often, I realise I'd lose a lot more than I'd gain.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Gwalchmai
Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 12:31:45 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permissable.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 22, 2008, 09:33:18 pm »

Thanks!
Seth

i find the quickest way to cast a circle is to use the lesser banishing ritual of the pentagram, although this is qabalistic and may not suit the path you have chosen.

Visit My Quick Tarot Guide Today
Spectacular Views
Journeyman
Last Login:June 10, 2013, 02:21:49 am

Religion: Can being confused count as a religion?
TCN ID: SpectacularViews

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 23, 2008, 12:59:56 am »

Thanks!
Seth

I've heard some shorter versions for casting circles, however I think the longer ones help you visualize and give you more time to focus the energy for the circle.  Than again if you're more adept at focusing and all, maybe you don't need a longer ritual.

Also I think it's something you don't want to rush in casting, those circles are important Smiley
Go
Journeyman
Last Login:May 30, 2011, 10:32:23 pm

Religion: A Process

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 23, 2008, 02:15:55 am »

Thanks!
Seth

For me it's more about visualization that words and rituals.  If I can't "see" it, then it isn't there, no matter what words I said or tools I waved around.  What you do and how long it takes aren't that important.  It's about learning to really feel the circle, you need to know it's real.  Otherwise what's the point?

Measure twice, cut once, and buy extra material anyway.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: August 23, 2008, 07:57:58 am »

Also I think it's something you don't want to rush in casting, those circles are important Smiley

In magic, how important they are depends on the magic system in use. Many systems do not use magic circles much at all.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
gg_13
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 17, 2010, 06:58:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 24, 2008, 08:51:33 pm »

i only really know one way and it's pretty short but i would love to hear about some different ones to try! thanx

click to save the lives of poor helpless dragons!!!
Dream like you'll live forever, live like you'll die tomorrow.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: August 25, 2008, 01:22:22 am »

i only really know one way and it's pretty short but i would love to hear about some different ones to try! thanx

gg_13,

could you please remember to leave the quote code in?

Thanks,

EverFool

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
gg_13
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 17, 2010, 06:58:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 28, 2008, 06:30:53 pm »

gg_13,

could you please remember to leave the quote code in?

Thanks,

EverFool
sorry, but that's pretty well the only way i know how to post if i don't want to quote anyone, so i just click on "quote", delete the quote, and then write what i want.

click to save the lives of poor helpless dragons!!!
Dream like you'll live forever, live like you'll die tomorrow.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: August 28, 2008, 08:54:21 pm »

sorry, but that's pretty well the only way i know how to post if i don't want to quote anyone, so i just click on "quote", delete the quote, and then write what i want.

Just delete the text between the quote BBCode tags and write your post below them. The links those autogenerated Quote BBcodes provide are required here.

From example, here's the code autogeneratyed when I replied to you:

[quote author=gg_13 link=topic=6637.msg115843#msg115843 date=1219962653]
[/quote]

Just delete the text leaving this:

[quote author=gg_13 link=topic=6637.msg115843#msg115843 date=1219962653]

[/quote]

And start your message here.

Randall
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: August 28, 2008, 09:27:58 pm »

Thanks!
Seth

For me it depends on what I am doing. When outdoors it takes me awhile because the circle can be fairly large, but "walking the circle" is part of the whole ritual. Indoors and I am a total cheater! I use an imprinted cloth (Oh, the shame!  Cheesy)
SethR
Apprentice
Last Login:February 27, 2011, 10:09:50 am

Religion: Eclectic

Blessed Be

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 29, 2008, 03:18:53 pm »

Thanks to everybody for answering... I think that I'll begin with a longer way to cast a circle, at least until I'm more experienced...

Also, is it okay to leave a circle, instead of re erecting one every time? I was just wondering why people take down the circle and build a new one for every ritual. You'd think that if you keep one circle, it would increasingly gather energy the more often you work in it, and therefore, your spells would become more effective/potent.... right?

Live, Laugh, Love

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)