The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 15, 2021, 09:24:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 15, 2021, 09:24:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Building a Religion From the Ground Up  (Read 13949 times)
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm
United States United States

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 10, 2007, 03:40:12 pm »

For those of you who are building your own path ::nudges Heartshadow:: where do you start? Do you start with core beliefs, or a framework to work within (from the inside out or the outside in if that makes sense?) or are your core beliefs your framework as well?

Are you looking to gain followers or are you really only concerned with practicing on your own path? If you are looking to gain followers what provisions have you made for teaching them, are you thinking of setting up classes/planning group rituals (or already running these things?) Do you have any plans for a church/temple to be built or are you content to practice within your own home(s).

In building Walking with the Gods (yes, I know it needs a better name. I haven't come up with one yet, and I needed something to call it for communication purposes) I guess I sort of started in the middle. I just started writing my beliefs as inspiration came to me, in no particular order. I'm not looking to gain followers, only hoping that my writings influence those who read them in some positive way (although, if someone wants to walk this path with me, I will not complain). Therefore a "teaching framework" isn't in place or even necessary, and all of my rituals are done by myself.

I would like to build a temple to my Gods, in the future. It's not a requirement, or part of making my own religion it's just something I would like to do. Right now my bedroom is my temple, and I'd like to be able to have at least one room set aside for that, though I don't think the gods mind sharing. Wink

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 10, 2007, 04:19:09 pm »

For those of you who are building your own path ::nudges Heartshadow:: where do you start? Do you start with core beliefs, or a framework to work within (from the inside out or the outside in if that makes sense?) or are your core beliefs your framework as well?

Are you looking to gain followers or are you really only concerned with practicing on your own path? If you are looking to gain followers what provisions have you made for teaching them, are you thinking of setting up classes/planning group rituals (or already running these things?) Do you have any plans for a church/temple to be built or are you content to practice within your own home(s).

In building Walking with the Gods (yes, I know it needs a better name. I haven't come up with one yet, and I needed something to call it for communication purposes) I guess I sort of started in the middle. I just started writing my beliefs as inspiration came to me, in no particular order. I'm not looking to gain followers, only hoping that my writings influence those who read them in some positive way (although, if someone wants to walk this path with me, I will not complain). Therefore a "teaching framework" isn't in place or even necessary, and all of my rituals are done by myself.

I would like to build a temple to my Gods, in the future. It's not a requirement, or part of making my own religion it's just something I would like to do. Right now my bedroom is my temple, and I'd like to be able to have at least one room set aside for that, though I don't think the gods mind sharing. Wink

What?  Me?  Who?  *looks innocent*

It's been so long I'm not even sure where I began .. because when I began, I was trying to shoehorn my beliefs into neo-Wicca.  (It didn't fit.  I was stubborn.  took a while).  I realized after a while what I was doing was something different, but it took time.

As far as where I started when I realized where I was .. I'd say I started with the philosophy.  I was irritated with the lack of *depth* I could find in most Pagan religions, and started from there.  (not to say that they're all shallow .. just that shallow was all I could find).

As far as other people: it isn't my choice to try to convert people, but I do feel that it's *necessary* that I encourage people to at least consider FlameKeeping.  It isn't everyone's path, but it has a core of Truth to it that I'm not allowed to hoard.  If that makes any sense.

Far as a temple or whatnot .. I can't even imagine such a thing.  Not saying it could never happen, but I have no picture of what it would be or consist of.  After all, the entire Universe is Divine.  setting aside some parts as "more Divine" than others goes against the entire concept.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 10, 2007, 04:34:07 pm »

What?  Me?  Who?  *looks innocent*

It's been so long I'm not even sure where I began .. because when I began, I was trying to shoehorn my beliefs into neo-Wicca.  (It didn't fit.  I was stubborn.  took a while).  I realized after a while what I was doing was something different, but it took time.

As far as where I started when I realized where I was .. I'd say I started with the philosophy.  I was irritated with the lack of *depth* I could find in most Pagan religions, and started from there.  (not to say that they're all shallow .. just that shallow was all I could find).

As far as other people: it isn't my choice to try to convert people, but I do feel that it's *necessary* that I encourage people to at least consider FlameKeeping.  It isn't everyone's path, but it has a core of Truth to it that I'm not allowed to hoard.  If that makes any sense.

Far as a temple or whatnot .. I can't even imagine such a thing.  Not saying it could never happen, but I have no picture of what it would be or consist of.  After all, the entire Universe is Divine.  setting aside some parts as "more Divine" than others goes against the entire concept.

I know what you mean about being irritated with the lack of depth. I think we might be talking about the same thing. I understand that most religions as they are presented to the general public are just a basic framework which we are more then welcome (and expected) to build within, but there wre some things that just bothered me. For example (before I came here, anyway) I didn't find any large "respectable" (as in "not fringe occult communities with dubious following") groups which allowed for discussion of things such as personal experiences with Gods without whoever brings up the topic being labelled as "nuts". That sort of thing really wasn't mentioned in the books either, but personal experiences with Gods is a *huge* part of my belief system. In fact, it's one of the mainstays, the things that my beliefs are built around.

I found a lot of religions that I agreed with, in part, but they never "told the whole story" or else they contained aspects that I simply cannot agree with. I realized there really wasn't an already established tradition that believed what I believe.

I also know what you mean about not trying to convert people. I don't care if they believe what I believe or not, but I want them to see what I have to say and consider it. Hopefully, they'll take something from it and it will help them in some way. I consider it my duty to share it, but I'm just providing the ideas; what people do with them is up to them.

LOL you're right, I really can't imagine a Flamekeeping temple. It does seem to go against the whole purpose :p. Have you thought about a meeting place though? Or do you just meet up at people's houses, or in a park or something.

BTW Flamekeeping is a MUCH cooler name than "Walking with the Gods". I really need to find a better name LOL I just nicked that one from my blog's subtitle.

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: April 10, 2007, 04:53:19 pm »

I know what you mean about being irritated with the lack of depth. I think we might be talking about the same thing. I understand that most religions as they are presented to the general public are just a basic framework which we are more then welcome (and expected) to build within, but there wre some things that just bothered me. For example (before I came here, anyway) I didn't find any large "respectable" (as in "not fringe occult communities with dubious following") groups which allowed for discussion of things such as personal experiences with Gods without whoever brings up the topic being labelled as "nuts". That sort of thing really wasn't mentioned in the books either, but personal experiences with Gods is a *huge* part of my belief system. In fact, it's one of the mainstays, the things that my beliefs are built around.

I found a lot of religions that I agreed with, in part, but they never "told the whole story" or else they contained aspects that I simply cannot agree with. I realized there really wasn't an already established tradition that believed what I believe.

I also know what you mean about not trying to convert people. I don't care if they believe what I believe or not, but I want them to see what I have to say and consider it. Hopefully, they'll take something from it and it will help them in some way. I consider it my duty to share it, but I'm just providing the ideas; what people do with them is up to them.

LOL you're right, I really can't imagine a Flamekeeping temple. It does seem to go against the whole purpose :p. Have you thought about a meeting place though? Or do you just meet up at people's houses, or in a park or something.

BTW Flamekeeping is a MUCH cooler name than "Walking with the Gods". I really need to find a better name LOL I just nicked that one from my blog's subtitle.

Well, right now we kinda meet up in the Cauldron Mux or on MSN. Cheesy  there would need to be more than one of us in one place for us to actually, y'know, meet up. Cheesy

As far as sharing .. I make a point of saying that my essays are usable by anyone.  Not to say my words can't get twisted (Because you can twist anything) but I want it to be available for decent people to modify for themselves without feeling like they're nicking my work.  Which is a tricky line to walk, because I REALLY don't want people putting their name on my work.

It's hard, though, to share ideas and just let them go without restriction.  Sometimes you just want to tell people they're doing it all wrong. Cheesy

Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 10, 2007, 05:05:18 pm »

Well, right now we kinda meet up in the Cauldron Mux or on MSN. Cheesy  there would need to be more than one of us in one place for us to actually, y'know, meet up. Cheesy

As far as sharing .. I make a point of saying that my essays are usable by anyone.  Not to say my words can't get twisted (Because you can twist anything) but I want it to be available for decent people to modify for themselves without feeling like they're nicking my work.  Which is a tricky line to walk, because I REALLY don't want people putting their name on my work.

It's hard, though, to share ideas and just let them go without restriction.  Sometimes you just want to tell people they're doing it all wrong. Cheesy

I know what you mean. I really would prefer my work stays credited to me. I don't care, in fact I would be flattered, if someone were to post it on thier site or publish it so long as they keep my name on it and preferrably a link back to my website. It was meant to be shared, and adapted, but not stolen. Smiley

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: April 10, 2007, 05:06:32 pm »

I know what you mean. I really would prefer my work stays credited to me. I don't care, in fact I would be flattered, if someone were to post it on thier site or publish it so long as they keep my name on it and preferrably a link back to my website. It was meant to be shared, and adapted, but not stolen. Smiley

are you familiar with Creative Commons?  They have copyright statements specifically for that kind of choice. Smiley

now I just gotta figure out how to set up my blog to show that copyright statement .. blarg.

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 10, 2007, 05:14:27 pm »

The first thing I started with was an FAQ, actually- I read the FAQs of other pagan religions and with the help of TC members, compiled a pretty good list of questions. And then, I started answering them, which is harder than it looks, sometimes. In the midst of that I worked on other things- core beliefs was early, as was defining the pantheon. I'm currently working on the calendar, which is a labyrinth in and of itself (there are three "branches" oh my path that are walked simultaneously, and each has its own set of special days). I'm also working on daily devotionals and the roles of ancestor worship, land spirit reverence and appeasement of the Good Folk. I'm also working on compiling significant myths, writing essays on the various deities, writing essays on morals, ethics, oaths, etcetera. There's a really big to-do list, honestly. Conair an Cheo is pretty embryonic, as far as paths go.

I'm wholly unconcerned with other members. While I am writing this path so it can be shared, and I'm making it available for others, I feel no need to go out of my way to "get it out there". Anyone interested in learning at this point can chat with me- later, I don't know. I have thought a little about what a temple would look like, but it's not something that I can forsee happening in my lifetime (or any other, really) so I don't spend much time on it.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 10, 2007, 05:15:11 pm »

are you familiar with Creative Commons?  They have copyright statements specifically for that kind of choice. Smiley

now I just gotta figure out how to set up my blog to show that copyright statement .. blarg.

No I'm not familiar with them. I see them everywhere, but I really don't know what they are/do.

Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 10, 2007, 05:21:03 pm »

The first thing I started with was an FAQ, actually- I read the FAQs of other pagan religions and with the help of TC members, compiled a pretty good list of questions. And then, I started answering them, which is harder than it looks, sometimes. In the midst of that I worked on other things- core beliefs was early, as was defining the pantheon. I'm currently working on the calendar, which is a labyrinth in and of itself (there are three "branches" oh my path that are walked simultaneously, and each has its own set of special days). I'm also working on daily devotionals and the roles of ancestor worship, land spirit reverence and appeasement of the Good Folk. I'm also working on compiling significant myths, writing essays on the various deities, writing essays on morals, ethics, oaths, etcetera. There's a really big to-do list, honestly. Conair an Cheo is pretty embryonic, as far as paths go.

I'm wholly unconcerned with other members. While I am writing this path so it can be shared, and I'm making it available for others, I feel no need to go out of my way to "get it out there". Anyone interested in learning at this point can chat with me- later, I don't know. I have thought a little about what a temple would look like, but it's not something that I can forsee happening in my lifetime (or any other, really) so I don't spend much time on it.

An FAQ is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I do know some of the questions are hard to answer. A lot of my essays are inspired by questions that are raised by things I read here. I write to answer my own questions a lot.

Conair an Cheo seems very complex. What is it about?

Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 10, 2007, 05:39:06 pm »

An FAQ is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I do know some of the questions are hard to answer. A lot of my essays are inspired by questions that are raised by things I read here. I write to answer my own questions a lot.

Conair an Cheo seems very complex. What is it about?

I don't think it's that complex, but since I'm writing it, I suppose I'm biased. It's about the inherent and equal sacredness of all of existence (if one says that Buddhism is about attaining nibbana through the breaking of attachments, and Christianity is about salvation through Jesus Christ, etc).

I figured with the FAQ that it was a lot of people's first exposure to a pagan faith, so if it was a good enough place for a seeker to start, then it was good enough for me.

Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 10, 2007, 05:47:24 pm »

I don't think it's that complex, but since I'm writing it, I suppose I'm biased. It's about the inherent and equal sacredness of all of existence (if one says that Buddhism is about attaining nibbana through the breaking of attachments, and Christianity is about salvation through Jesus Christ, etc).

I figured with the FAQ that it was a lot of people's first exposure to a pagan faith, so if it was a good enough place for a seeker to start, then it was good enough for me.

I was about to ask if you'd posted this online anywhere, but then I found the link in your sig. D'oh! LOL Going there now.

Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 10, 2007, 05:52:22 pm »

I was about to ask if you'd posted this online anywhere, but then I found the link in your sig. D'oh! LOL Going there now.

At this point, the only thing that's really up is the FAQ, since nothing else is "done", and I'm not fond of works in progress floating around. The info on the three branches I mentioned earlier will probably be the next to go up, and then the individual branches' calendars as they're completed, I think.

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: April 10, 2007, 05:56:05 pm »

No I'm not familiar with them. I see them everywhere, but I really don't know what they are/do.

http://creativecommons.org/

It's a different idea about what copyright IS.  What it is to protect one's work, what creative work is ... it's a completely different paradigm about what ownership of ideas can be.  Instead of the current all or nothing laws that are on the books.

And yes, far as I know these are legally binding, too.

Wanderer894
Master Member
Last Login:April 07, 2011, 10:47:22 pm

Religion: The Way of the Dragonfly/Ignostic Pagan Humanist
TCN ID: Wanderer894

another day, another round of "WTF?"

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 10, 2007, 06:23:59 pm »

When I started, all I had as a foundation were my core beliefs, morals, and a bit of this and that about other religions.  I thought about trying to create something based on some branch of Wicca, but that didn't work out, as Wicca has almost no influence with me.

As best as I can explain without the post getting too long, the way it panned out was: Take stock of your morals and what you already believe. Then, what you think will fit in/what you might believe.  Take those core beliefs and use those as the foundation AND as part of the framework. Explore and read about other religions and philosophies, and take the parts that seem to fit and add them in.  Add on and discard as needed.

I'm not interested in gaining followers.  If someone wants to know more once I have things straightened out a bit, fine.  But I don't feel like I need to hawk my path like some trinket in a marketplace, or like it's the best thing since central air. 

I don't even have an official name for my path yet.  I can't seem to think of one that fits, probably because it's still in the beginning stages.  About the only name that sounded good was "The Searcher's Way" and by the time I'm done, it wouldn't even be appropriate.

I'm quite content to celebrate and do ritual in my home.  I don't feel like I need to build a temple or something like that right now.  Maybe later on I will.

Rituals do not make Life; Life is what you consider the most important, and the most fun.
Just another hapless human trying to figure out what the frell makes this world tick, and how to avoid the idiots who make my head hurt
Stop the war, impeach the war criminals.

Bored much? My Blog: Gray Reverie
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #14: April 10, 2007, 07:43:46 pm »

At this point, the only thing that's really up is the FAQ, since nothing else is "done", and I'm not fond of works in progress floating around. The info on the three branches I mentioned earlier will probably be the next to go up, and then the individual branches' calendars as they're completed, I think.

I do know what you mean about works in progress. I don't like to have a "half done" thing floating around, but I just consider my essays steps in succession, sort of. If I were actually writing a ritual structure, calandar with holidays etc., I wouldn't publish it until it was done either.

http://creativecommons.org/

It's a different idea about what copyright IS.  What it is to protect one's work, what creative work is ... it's a completely different paradigm about what ownership of ideas can be.  Instead of the current all or nothing laws that are on the books.

And yes, far as I know these are legally binding, too.

That's pretty cool. I'll have to check it out. Smiley

When I started, all I had as a foundation were my core beliefs, morals, and a bit of this and that about other religions.  I thought about trying to create something based on some branch of Wicca, but that didn't work out, as Wicca has almost no influence with me.

As best as I can explain without the post getting too long, the way it panned out was: Take stock of your morals and what you already believe. Then, what you think will fit in/what you might believe.  Take those core beliefs and use those as the foundation AND as part of the framework. Explore and read about other religions and philosophies, and take the parts that seem to fit and add them in.  Add on and discard as needed.

I'm not interested in gaining followers.  If someone wants to know more once I have things straightened out a bit, fine.  But I don't feel like I need to hawk my path like some trinket in a marketplace, or like it's the best thing since central air. 

I don't even have an official name for my path yet.  I can't seem to think of one that fits, probably because it's still in the beginning stages.  About the only name that sounded good was "The Searcher's Way" and by the time I'm done, it wouldn't even be appropriate.

I'm quite content to celebrate and do ritual in my home.  I don't feel like I need to build a temple or something like that right now.  Maybe later on I will.

Alot of that sounds like what my essays are. I'm not trying to change anyone's beliefs, I'm trying to get them to question how they believe and how they act with regards to their belief. I wan't people to live up to their beliefs, whatever they are. I can tell what *I* believe, but I can't tell what *you* should believe. All I can do is suggest that you make sure you follow what you really believe.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)