The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 17, 2021, 02:32:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 17, 2021, 02:32:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Building a Religion From the Ground Up  (Read 13958 times)
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: April 11, 2007, 03:30:20 pm »

I like the idea a lot. Smiley The thing is, is it something which is too long and would scare seekers away from your path? I mean, I believe that it is absolutely necessary to need to be patient and dedicate a lot of time into any path you are on. I mean, if three years is too long, how do you expect to stay on the path for the rest of your life?? But a nine year seeker's course seems a little extreme.

I think a lot of people would feel like they aren't getting anywhere if they have to be with the religion for nine years before becoming "full members". Perhaps each three year "set" should be a milestone, like a "step" so that members have a sense of accomplishment before they get to the nine year mark.

Well, you do have to remember that the Druids were 20 years in the making (not that I'm comparing my religion to druidry), but I agree that this system would need "milestone" markers, just to keep the ball rollin'.  I think more than anything, this sort of "initiation" is really only for me--I'm not sure if anyone else would really benefit from it as I do, certainly not in the same way.  If I ever did get followers (which is about as likely as I am going to win the lottery [and seeing that I don't even buy tickets, that would be a feat]), I don't think they would undergo an initation like I am doing.  They would probably get something simpler, or be told to create something more complicated if they like, with symbols and stories that are significant to them. 

I guess it's kind of like the Buddha becoming enlightened--followers of him undergo rigourous training to reach Nirvana, but nothing like what he experienced--near starvation, years of wandering, fasting, extremely difficult training.  Or like in Christianity--humans are supposed to "carry their own cross", but the whole point is that Jesus was crucified so that the rest of us wouldn't have to.

Again, not that I'm comparing myself to Buddha.  Or Jesus.  Hell no.  Shocked   LOL.

So basically, I have no idea if this is right for my path.  It grows, changes, evolves, gets struck down all the time.  It's an adventure, and I'm getting used to Brigid stepping in and saying, "You're getting a little ahead of yourself, aren't you?"  Still, I'm learning all the time, and I can't ask for more than that.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #31: April 11, 2007, 10:22:15 pm »

Well, you do have to remember that the Druids were 20 years in the making (not that I'm comparing my religion to druidry), but I agree that this system would need "milestone" markers, just to keep the ball rollin'.  I think more than anything, this sort of "initiation" is really only for me--I'm not sure if anyone else would really benefit from it as I do, certainly not in the same way.  If I ever did get followers (which is about as likely as I am going to win the lottery [and seeing that I don't even buy tickets, that would be a feat]), I don't think they would undergo an initation like I am doing.  They would probably get something simpler, or be told to create something more complicated if they like, with symbols and stories that are significant to them. 

I guess it's kind of like the Buddha becoming enlightened--followers of him undergo rigourous training to reach Nirvana, but nothing like what he experienced--near starvation, years of wandering, fasting, extremely difficult training.  Or like in Christianity--humans are supposed to "carry their own cross", but the whole point is that Jesus was crucified so that the rest of us wouldn't have to.

Again, not that I'm comparing myself to Buddha.  Or Jesus.  Hell no.  Shocked   LOL.

So basically, I have no idea if this is right for my path.  It grows, changes, evolves, gets struck down all the time.  It's an adventure, and I'm getting used to Brigid stepping in and saying, "You're getting a little ahead of yourself, aren't you?"  Still, I'm learning all the time, and I can't ask for more than that.

Yea, I forgot about Druidry. However modern people are more "rush rush" than the ancients. I think that is a bad thing, which we should try to move away from, but when it comes down to it not many would be willing to agree with me to the point of actually moving away from it themselves. Tongue

I agree that each individual should have their own initiation. I think that there should be guidelines within a particular path, but that each should have an initiation that is designed to be personal to them, as well as relavent to the path. Smiley

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #32: April 12, 2007, 07:25:27 am »

Again, not that I'm comparing myself to Buddha.  Or Jesus.  Hell no.  Shocked   LOL.

I think the difference is the difference between a religion and a priest, though.

in Druid times, EVERYONE was laity.  20 yrs was to become priest/elder/guide/whatnot.  And if you look at our education system .. we're in formal education for longer than that to become a priest, certainly.  or a PhD.  Or whatever.

One thing I don't see a lot of people addressing .. is there a laity?  Is there even ROOM for a laity?

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #33: April 12, 2007, 10:59:36 am »

One thing I don't see a lot of people addressing .. is there a laity?  Is there even ROOM for a laity?

Since I'm the only one on my path currently, no. If there were more members...I don't know. A big part of my belief (in fact what this all is built on) is that EVERYONE can communicate and have a relationship with the gods. So there is no need for an intermediary clergy. You don't need to have a priest intercede for you, because you can do it yourself.

However there is a need for a teacher, and for a leader in group rituals and such. In that sense there would have to be a heirarchy of some sort, "elders" though not necessarily priests. I like to think of it as a tribal elder or shamen, training the younger ones and leading their rituals but not acting as an intermediary. I don't like the idea that only a priest can commune with god(s) and everyone else is out of their heads. I want any "clergy" to help others to develop relationships with god(s) as well.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)