The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 23, 2020, 04:59:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2020, 04:59:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dedicating a garden (brainstorming)  (Read 2047 times)
stardancer
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2012, 08:06:43 am
Norway Norway

Religion: Devotee of Gaia and Pan, and Athena

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 25, 2008, 09:03:18 am »

I have recently decided to do something a little more active about my spirituality, and part of that is working more closely with my patrons. Odin told me to hold my horses and stick to the feminine side of things for the time being, so I started thinking about my relationship to Gaia, and what I can do to improve that.

I have a garden; about half of it is cultivated (some perennial borders, two apple trees, a japanese cherry, two raised veggie beds of the Square Foot Gardening variety, some berry bushes). The other half is rocky, moss covered and filled with juniper, wild raspberries, blueberries and lingonberries, and a couple of lovely birches. There's also a mass of ferns, rowan, ash and a cluster of whatever.

Ideas:
A shrine or a staff/pole dedicated to Her? (I have neighbours, but I can find hidden spots - at least in the wild area.)
Blessing the beds?
Dedicating one of the birches to my granmother (pro; she made it possible for us to buy the house and it's her favourite type of tree. con; she's Christian and she's still alive)

Other suggestions? I'm on a budget, and although I'd be willing to sacrifice for Her, my dear agnostic husband probably isn't.  Roll Eyes

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Koimichra
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 05:22:53 pm
United States United States

Religion: Catholic

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: August 25, 2008, 09:18:56 am »

A shrine or a staff/pole dedicated to Her? (I have neighbours, but I can find hidden spots - at least in the wild area.)

Chances are they'll just think it's cool decoration anyway.
QuercusRobur
Journeyman
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 05:18:37 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Irish Traditionalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 25, 2008, 11:32:00 am »

Dedicating one of the birches to my granmother (pro; she made it possible for us to buy the house and it's her favourite type of tree. con; she's Christian and she's still alive)

The Christians in Britain used to walk the boundaries of their parish as part of a blessing: you could do that, and since you're leaning to wicca incorporate Gaia into the blessing.  No tools needed (although you may want to use your finger to point at things) so no expense.
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 25, 2008, 11:41:03 am »

Other suggestions?

If the garden has a clearly defined entrance--a gate or arborway, for example--you could place a symbol or invocation there.

stardancer
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2012, 08:06:43 am
Norway Norway

Religion: Devotee of Gaia and Pan, and Athena

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 26, 2008, 06:07:28 am »

Thanks everyone, I like the bit about walking the perimetre. There is no natural entrance at this time - we have plans for making one, but it's a few years into the future. I could do something where it will be though.. And decorations it will be.  Grin (Just put it where the children won't trample it...)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)