The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 05, 2021, 07:52:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 05, 2021, 07:52:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Burning Incense Linked to Respiratory Cancer  (Read 3465 times)
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 25, 2008, 04:35:48 pm »

Link between Respiratory Cancer and Incense Smoke:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26394506/

I have often wondered about the health effects of breathing in the smoke. I always have the room well ventilated and I am extra carefull with it around pets and small children as well.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Odjn
Master Member
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 09:12:20 am

Religion: Supreme Skeptic

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 25, 2008, 04:43:06 pm »

I have often wondered about the health effects of breathing in the smoke. I always have the room well ventilated and I am extra carefull with it around pets and small children as well.

I read the article and found it quite interesting. The problem, as I see it, seems to come largely from artificial ingredients in many incense. The salt peter, the artificial oils used to scent sawdust and so forth. Of course I think it is true that exposing oneself too much to smoke of any kind can, at the very least, aggravate problems.

Of course on the other hand no one sticks these things in their mouths o smoke it like a cigar..at least I hope not.

At any rate thank you for the link, it's very informative.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: August 25, 2008, 05:03:23 pm »

I don't find these results very surprising. I will note, however, the the strongest effect seemed to be with people who burned incense almost all the time -- something most Western Pagans do not do.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 25, 2008, 05:08:19 pm »

I saw this earlier today.  Can't say I'm much surprised; it's smoke, anyways, and beyond that, seems to me about half the things we use on a day-to-day basis can lead to cancer.
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 25, 2008, 05:25:45 pm »

I read the article and found it quite interesting. The problem, as I see it, seems to come largely from artificial ingredients in many incense. The salt peter, the artificial oils used to scent sawdust and so forth. Of course I think it is true that exposing oneself too much to smoke of any kind can, at the very least, aggravate problems.
Of course on the other hand no one sticks these things in their mouths o smoke it like a cigar..at least I hope not.
At any rate thank you for the link, it's very informative.

You're welcome.  I know certain fumes can be very hazardous for exotic birds too, such as parrots. I have pretty much gone over to the lighter Japanese incense in place of the heavy Indian ones that can be somewhat overpowering and too heavy scented for me.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: August 25, 2008, 09:55:00 pm »

I don't find these results very surprising. I will note, however, the the strongest effect seemed to be with people who burned incense almost all the time -- something most Western Pagans do not do.
As soon as I saw the thread title, I was reminded of a Western Pagan of my acquaintance who did... but who was known for having asthma attacks (from several yards away, even outdoors) the instant a flame was touched to a cigarette.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: August 25, 2008, 09:55:48 pm »

As soon as I saw the thread title, I was reminded of a Western Pagan of my acquaintance who did... but who was known for having asthma attacks (from several yards away, even outdoors) the instant a flame was touched to a cigarette.

How very weird.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 25, 2008, 09:58:59 pm »

How very weird.

Not too weird.  Cigarette smoke really gets to me (to the point that I normally start developing a headache within a few minutes in close proximity to cigarette smoke), but I find incense very relaxing.  I think it has something to do with the tar, but I could be wrong.  The cigarette smoke is just so acrid that it grates upon me.

I will say that I prefer incense without a wooden core, though.  The smell of the wood core burning along with the incense always makes the smoke too, for lack of a better term, smoky.

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: August 25, 2008, 10:49:27 pm »

Not too weird.  Cigarette smoke really gets to me (to the point that I normally start developing a headache within a few minutes in close proximity to cigarette smoke), but I find incense very relaxing.  I think it has something to do with the tar, but I could be wrong.  The cigarette smoke is just so acrid that it grates upon me.
Now, that doesn't strike me as all that weird - tobacco smoke is acrid, and some people are extremely sensitive to it.

What was odd about my acquaintance is that it didn't seem to require what most people would consider "close" proximity, that it was instantaneous, and that AFAIK she didn't have to exercise any selectivity about incense (I have to, and I don't have asthma or any known sensitivities/allergies to burning stuff).  I'm inclined to suspect a psychological component - associating the sight of a cigarette being lit with her past reactions under closer/more-poorly-ventilated circumstances, f'ex - and possibly willingness to accept a (mild) reaction from something she liked the smell of, where she found any reaction to something she didn't like the smell of unacceptable.  (Both of which are reasonable, but perhaps harder to explain to people who may or may not have sufficient sense of nuance, which might also be part of it.)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: August 26, 2008, 12:43:38 am »

Not too weird.  Cigarette smoke really gets to me (to the point that I normally start developing a headache within a few minutes in close proximity to cigarette smoke), but I find incense very relaxing.  I think it has something to do with the tar, but I could be wrong.

My guess for me is the formaldehyde or some other additive (but my brother got a pass on part of junior high bio because of formaldehyde allergy).  Other forms of burning tobacco don't mess with me, so it has to be some of the bonus crud that goes in cigs.

wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 26, 2008, 07:03:38 am »

My guess for me is the formaldehyde or some other additive (but my brother got a pass on part of junior high bio because of formaldehyde allergy).  Other forms of burning tobacco don't mess with me, so it has to be some of the bonus crud that goes in cigs.

Amazingly, I don't have a problem with smoking activating my asthma (I have cut down, but going cold turkey is not an option at the moment, I would likely end up sending someone an a pleasant trip to the morgue...).  Although, I have noticed that using my allergy medicine regularly, combined with... caffeine pills (measured doses at specific times in relation to what I am doing that may cause an attack) does prevent them...  Don't ask me how, it was just some odd thing I happened to notice, after using the caffeine pills for energy at work, then cutting off for a while, then going back on, then off... I did this a few times, and I finally just recently noticed it.  Woot for me.

As for incense setting off my asthma, depends on what is used to scent it, and how strong the scent is.  (Allergies really suck, especially when someone is trying to set a romantic mood...)

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 26, 2008, 07:33:27 am »

I will say that I prefer incense without a wooden core, though.  The smell of the wood core burning along with the incense always makes the smoke too, for lack of a better term, smoky.

Here too, anywhere near a cigarette and I get a headache. You know, I hadn't put two and two together on this one, but the Japanese incense I use doesn't have the wooden stick core. I never tried ye old oil covered charcoal brick indoors either. Not just because of smoke but because of the soot. Seemed common sense to me. If you are using a smoky incense be in a well ventilated place.
Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 26, 2008, 08:10:26 am »

I have often wondered about the health effects of breathing in the smoke.

Well I try not to inhale!  Grin

I am more concerned about the effects on people of the artifical "air fresheners" like Glade etc. I won't have them in my house. Has anyone come acoss any studies on the health effects of them?

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)