The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 01, 2021, 06:57:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2021, 06:57:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: School and religion  (Read 5310 times)
leokaat
Apprentice
Last Login:September 17, 2008, 07:07:38 pm
United States United States

Religion: I'm an eclectic witch(not really a religion though)

Leo

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 26, 2008, 08:11:31 am »

Well Its almost time for school  Lips sealed well for me anyway I live in NY I think my cusins start earlier ,,but anyways since I was thinking about it I had this interesting quetion for you pagans and witches that are still teens like me  Grin I was wondering wether or not your school work ever mixes with you religion(faith,path) or does it just push it right out of the way since you have to do homework and stuff.

Anyways I probably didn't even word the question right lol so sorry... Roll Eyes

*ps this is the first school year for me that I fallow a different religion than the majority of my school lol so I dont even know if it will matter jst curious Cheesy

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 26, 2008, 12:53:25 pm »

Well Its almost time for school  Lips sealed well for me anyway I live in NY I think my cusins start earlier ,,but anyways since I was thinking about it I had this interesting quetion for you pagans and witches that are still teens like me  Grin I was wondering wether or not your school work ever mixes with you religion(faith,path) or does it just push it right out of the way since you have to do homework and stuff.

Anyways I probably didn't even word the question right lol so sorry... Roll Eyes

*ps this is the first school year for me that I fallow a different religion than the majority of my school lol so I dont even know if it will matter jst curious Cheesy

When I was in school my religion got completely pushed to one side. With all the revision and exams, I just didn't have time for it. As soon as I left college though, it became a big part of my life once more. I don't feel as guilty about ignoring it as I used to, as I've realised that it's normal for religion to fluctuate as far as how committed you are to it.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 26, 2008, 02:28:05 pm »

I was wondering wether or not your school work ever mixes with you religion(faith,path) or does it just push it right out of the way since you have to do homework and stuff.

I'm not a teen, but I am in (graduate) school, and I can say that my schoolwork does push my religious practices right out of the way.  I don't read as much as I would prefer, my stack of books I want to read that are related to my religion is practically a mile high by now.  I don't do daily devotionals as much as I would like (it's more like monthly), I cant attend community events that are held within driving distance, and some days I just feel like a really lousy Kemetic.  And girlfriend, and daughter, and sister, and friend... you name it, I'm just lousy all over. (I haven't ironed since April.)

But all in all, it's okay.  My schooling is temporary, and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel from here.  My gods will always be there, and They will be still waiting for me when I finish this degree and can devote more of my time and energy to Them.

Truth be told, I don't feel all that guilty about it.  I'm working hard to make myself a better person, continuing my education so that I can do great work in the future in Their Names.  So really, my gods have a vested interest in my educational success, as well. Wink  They are there for me when I need Them, and are very light on Their demands of me (and understanding when I have to say 'no').  I haven't been smited yet!! Smiley

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)
Wolfsbane
Last Login:September 27, 2008, 08:22:33 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Some undefined path.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 30, 2008, 10:06:34 am »

I was wondering wether or not your school work ever mixes with you religion(faith,path) or does it just push it right out of the way since you have to do homework and stuff.

I tend to have days for spirituality and days for school work. It sounds silly, but it helps me to manage all of my work. I'm in my last 12 months of high school, so the work load is pretty intense, and my spirituality gets shoved to the aside unless I make a real effort to focus on it, think about it, etc.

To stop myself losing touch with my spiritual side completely, I try to write a little bit about how I'm feeling concerning it every night - Even just two or three lines about how I feel detached and fuzzy because of schoolwork sustains me. Smiley But then, I've always been easy to calm, so go figure. Heh.

I do art classes, though, so that can be really handy: I can use it as time to get in touch with my spiritual side if it's being overshadowed by schoolwork, through drawing deities and animals with impossible features (I like drawing cats with fish scales) and such.
Zeke126
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 27, 2008, 06:52:06 pm

Religion: Shamanic Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 30, 2008, 02:19:03 pm »

Well, i'm still in high school, so I can give you my take. I like to balance both out. Make it through the day, then after I finish school work, I like to read one of my witchcraft books, or write something in my Book of Shadows. I try not to push it aside, since I enjoy living with both. I don't really say much about what I do as a witch, but I don't exactly abandon my faith at the school door. I try to be discreet about it. Where I live, my friends don't really care that i'm a witch, but I try not to tell them much about it. If you like it in your daily life, try to balance it out. However, if you feel you really need to focus on school, save your spirit work for when you have free time.
CrimsonSheep
Apprentice
Last Login:November 17, 2008, 10:55:06 pm

Religion: Irreligious agnostic theist

It's only as dark as you make it.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 30, 2008, 06:04:17 pm »

Hmm. Well, I'm not of a set path or such, but I can think of various ways that school work could mix with magic. The most obvious would be spells to help concentration, like for tests. Less obvious would be, I'm studying physics this year, which I think is kinda cool because of my current fixation on chaos magic. Sciences (and pseudo-sciences?) are, as I take it, pretty essential, or at least really good to know, since chaos magic is at least partially based off chaos theory which is scientific.
...that probably sounded a lot stupider than I meant it to...heh, sorry. What I mean to say is, as I understand chaos magic (my understanding could of course be totally wrong), learning physics will aid in understanding the theories that come into play, so my school work is enhancing my magical knowledge.

Other tie-ins might be studying poetry in an English class or a creative writing class helping someone word their spells better; studying ancient religions in a history class might enhance one's knowledge of, or introduce one to, ancient gods;an art or geometry class helping someone come up with creative designs for sigils and other symbol-based magics; learning a language might help you "spice up" spells, if you want to get fancy.

...but maybe that's not exactly what you were saying. Maybe the people who just push it out because of all the school work could benefit from trying some of these? Granted, they all focus on magic instead of religion, but hey... if it works, use it.

(Please note that these are all just ideas off the top of my head, and that I really might have no idea what i'm talking about. Feel free to correct me in any way if you find something wrong here.)

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil for Thou art with me
Locked and loaded
Gonna find my truth
Now I'm busting through
All hell breaks loose
RainGirl
Last Login:December 15, 2008, 07:10:38 pm

Religion: Eclectic Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 14, 2008, 07:21:37 pm »

Well, whenever I have the chance, I try to incorporate my religion into my schoolwork; just to show people that there are other religions out there.  Also, if you have school on a Sabbat, you can have a parent call the school and tell them you'll be staying home for religious observance.

Hope that helps! Smiley
Guitar-playingWolf
Last Login:January 13, 2009, 06:34:39 pm

Religion: Shamanism...? Just kinda a blend of different pagan stuff.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 28, 2008, 07:17:13 am »

I'd say if you're in at least three advanced/honors core classes, you'll run into a lot of trouble. I remember middle school, when I was in Pre-AP (Pre-Advanced Placement) I was miserable because I constantly trying to find time to research and think about magic and stuff like that and would be overwhelmed by my teachers (don't read the next part if you've a weak stomach)practically pulling stacks of papers out of their rear ends and expecting me to read and fill them out. Not to mention my mom didn't help me any, and I decided it was wise to keep my beliefs a secret from everyone. But high school got better as I got out of pre-ap math. Then I got out of pre-ap science. And now this next semester I'm going to get out of pre-ap english as well. Not to mention, almost all of my school friends know that I'm a pagan, and most of them believe in one thing or another. So over this year and a half of high school, I've realized that the key to having a good balance of school and paganism, one must have at least a few friends who truly, truly accept them for what they are, and not be in advanced classes. Hopefully your parents will be cool with your not being in any advanced classes. The normal (academic) classes have proven to be SOOO much easier.
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: December 30, 2008, 07:49:23 pm »

I'm in 11th grade, so work load is *extremely* intense. (ie 5-7 hours a night weekdays, 7-11 hours on weekends. I'm not kidding.) So...no violin, no figure skating, no french tutoring, no voice lessons. if i observe the sabbats, that's just lucky. school was out for yule, but i was just so exhausted i didn't do anything. I feel a little guilty and haven't had anything interesting to post basically since school started, but that's just how it's going to have to be. maybe next year...

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
orioncali
Apprentice
Last Login:November 13, 2011, 08:50:05 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: December 30, 2008, 07:56:15 pm »

It depends on the school you go to. If it is a catholic or religious school I would not recommend bringing or wearing anything pagan. I have a few friends that had issues with their schools (one was expelled). Freedom of religion only works so far (unfortunately)

If you go to a state or public school, like I did. I was able to incorporate the books I read and the information I learned into some of my school work. I found it applied best to my history class. In my English I did a book report on a pagan book.

But I was in high school along time ago, and you might have an easier time, since paganism is far more widely known you might have an easier time incorporating it into literature and reports.

~And that my Lord is how we know the world is banana shaped~

Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: December 30, 2008, 08:51:49 pm »

Freedom of religion only works so far (unfortunately)

Well...  It is a religiously-oriented school. If it's not a public institution, then the First Amendment doesn't apply, no.  Part of a Christian parochial school's purpose is to teach Christianity to its pupils, yes?  I don't think I can bring myself to be surprised or shocked if they insist on students abiding by Christian standards while at school.  Nor can I say I disapprove that much as long as they're not doing it on the taxpayer's dime.  And I understand that not all students at such a school are going to be Christian, but...  Well, I mean, that's part of the package.

As far as integrating Pagan subject matter into classwork, it might pay to remember that "Pagan" doesn't have to mean things that are directly and overtly Pagan.  I suspect that even in a Catholic school you ("you" general here, not referring to anyone personally) could find some related subjects to write about without necessarily giving away your religious preferences.  Mythology is one that comes to mind right off; that often gets filed under "the classics" and not taken seriously as religion at all.  Folklore, for similar reasons.  History, of course.  Botany; you don't have to write about the magical uses for plants, but I'm betting that investigating the plants themselves more might help give you a better understanding of them.  Astronomy--if you don't let any astrology creep into it, there's not really anything I can see that might be objectionable there, but you'll still be learning about the stars.  Even the subject of symbolism; I'd steer clear of trying to lecture your teacher about the pentagram, but you could talk about the diversity of ways symbols in general (or other symbols that aren't as overtly Pagany) are used.  If you're interested in Tarot or other picture-based divination systems, that could be very useful to your personal practice in that way.  Etc. etc.  There are plenty of things a high schooler could write about that would be helpful in furthering their Pagan studies without their papers actually sounding very Pagan.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: December 30, 2008, 09:20:55 pm »

Even the subject of symbolism; I'd steer clear of trying to lecture your teacher about the pentagram, but you could talk about the diversity of ways symbols in general (or other symbols that aren't as overtly Pagany) are used.  If you're interested in Tarot or other picture-based divination systems, that could be very useful to your personal practice in that way.  Etc. etc.  There are plenty of things a high schooler could write about that would be helpful in furthering their Pagan studies without their papers actually sounding very Pagan.

I always get a huge grin out of students at the school I work at asking me for information about Gawain's shield in the poem _Sir Gawain and the Green Knight_ (for those not familiar, it's a medieval English poem about Gawain, who carries a shield with a five pointed star.) I get asked every year or two, because it's commonly read in one of our upper level English classes, and the symbolism in the poem is one of the commonly suggested paper topics for that work. (With good reason: it's got a lot of material to work with.)

My only problem with it is that I've got to remember to switch out of priestess-brain and make sure I answer with librarian-brain, because the answers are, as you might guess, a little bit different. (Librarian brain means I point them at our symbolism books and reference materials, and mention some of the most common uses of the five pointed star. I'll usually throw "It's often seen as a representation of life: the four Platonic or classical elements and spirit" in there, but that's after I've talked about uses by da Vinci, medieval literature, the five wounds of Christ, etc.)

To the other suggestions - there's also a lot of benefit in looking at things like cultural assumptions in different areas of study. (i.e. "What did the colonial settlers from England assume when they landed" or "What about assumptions about how you steward or control land" - all things that aren't directly Pagan necessarily, but which can be a great way to look at different issues and develop critical analysis skills while studying how the world works.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: December 30, 2008, 09:24:56 pm »

Well, whenever I have the chance, I try to incorporate my religion into my schoolwork; just to show people that there are other religions out there.  Also, if you have school on a Sabbat, you can have a parent call the school and tell them you'll be staying home for religious observance.

Hope that helps! Smiley

I've always found this a little weird.

I mean, there were always the Christians (small number, but loud) who took every chance they could to preach when it was supposed to be a school-thing.  and it was ANNOYING.

If it's annoying when other people do it, why is it okay if "we" do it?  Why include it at all?

Not to say it's wrong - but that teacher's gotta be pretty damn sick of getting religious polemics where it's supposed to be something else.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: December 30, 2008, 09:50:20 pm »

I mean, there were always the Christians (small number, but loud) who took every chance they could to preach when it was supposed to be a school-thing.  and it was ANNOYING.

Egads, yes. I used to feel sorry for one of English teachers in high school as we had a person in out class who saw Jesus behind EVERYTHING. Why did some author write X? To express the glory of Christ, because Jesus wanted it written, etc. This was in the early 70s (before the rise of fundies) and I always felt sorry for our teacher who had to read this guy's drivel.  There there was the guy in my first edition Champions campaign who wanted to play a character who called down the wrath of God on criminals. This could have been an interesting character, but this guy was a Jesus freak who insisted that one his character called on God the adventure was over as God would have solved the problem.

I'd find a Pagan doing stuff like this just as annoying.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #14: December 31, 2008, 05:20:57 am »

If it's annoying when other people do it, why is it okay if "we" do it?  Why include it at all?

I do think there's a difference between using schoolwork as an opportunity to highlight the fact that religions other than Christianity (or outside the JCI structure, at least) exist and outright preaching.  It's the same distinction that allows religious texts to be taught as literature in public schools; talking about something informatively is not the same as talking about it persuasively.

That said, if one is going to do that, it has to be done very carefully to keep that distinction intact.  If one is constantly running around screaming "Christianity isn't the only religion!" in every assignment possible, there is a danger of coming off as preachy just from the sheer volume of it even if there's no message about how wonderful these other religions are.  If one keeps hammering the point in at every opportunity, then yeah, it's going to come of as an attempt to change the way people think and believe rather than simply presenting information about the diversity of belief that exists.  And it's really, really easy in this area to cross that line between "informative" and "persuasive" anyway, so someone doing this would have to watch that really carefully too.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)