The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 29, 2020, 02:15:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2020, 02:15:40 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Any sufficiently low technology is indistinguishable from hard work.  (Read 2086 times)
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm
United States United States

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 26, 2008, 10:38:45 pm »

Live posting about the Democratic Convention.  The governor of Montana is blovating about Obama's energy policy.

Lots of plug in hybrids. Wind and solar to run these. Reduce global warming, and have energy independence.

No mention of the nuclear power plants we'd need for all those hybrids. Or that neither wind or solar are sufficient for base load generation, even without the huge increase in plug in cars.

Biodiesel is going to move CO2 from plants to the atmosphere, which is supposed to lead to global warming. 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 26, 2008, 11:28:21 pm »

Biodiesel is going to move CO2 from plants to the atmosphere, which is supposed to lead to global warming. 

Could you expand a little more on this?  Plants pull CO2 out of the air and turn it into oxygen.  Plants need CO2 to survive.  How is biodiesel going to pull CO2 out of plants?

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 26, 2008, 11:51:50 pm »

How is biodiesel going to pull CO2 out of plants?

My understanding is that it takes all of that nice CO2 that the plant has sequestered and re-releases it into the atmosphere when the biodiesel (ie. ex-plant) burnt. I'm not sure I've got the detail right, but that's my understanding.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 27, 2008, 12:54:57 am »

My understanding is that it takes all of that nice CO2 that the plant has sequestered and re-releases it into the atmosphere when the biodiesel (ie. ex-plant) burnt. I'm not sure I've got the detail right, but that's my understanding.

But it is a plant the is replaced immediately so that it can sequester CO2 and continue the cycl, as compared with releasing CO2 from plants that dies million and millions of years ago and are not being replaced right now on the planet.  That CO2 is old and adds to the CO@ in the cycle, where as the plant for biodiesal is a recent part of the cycle.  Does this make any sense. 

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 27, 2008, 07:00:59 am »

But it is a plant the is replaced immediately so that it can sequester CO2 and continue the cycl, as compared with releasing CO2 from plants that dies million and millions of years ago and are not being replaced right now on the planet.  That CO2 is old and adds to the CO@ in the cycle, where as the plant for biodiesal is a recent part of the cycle.  Does this make any sense. 

You, and the person you were replying to are both correct, although it is very likely, in my opinion, that more crops will be planted for biodiesel, which would reduce the acreage that lies fallow.  The fallow land's plants don't get put back in the CO2 cycle in the short term.   There are also questions about the overall cycle efficiency and water usage.
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 27, 2008, 08:09:10 am »

You, and the person you were replying to are both correct, although it is very likely, in my opinion, that more crops will be planted for biodiesel, which would reduce the acreage that lies fallow.  The fallow land's plants don't get put back in the CO2 cycle in the short term.   There are also questions about the overall cycle efficiency and water usage.

That's true about the fallow land, but again, I'll bet thst there is still less CO2 in the cycle with biodiesal that with regular old fossil buels.  More than would be with wind or solar, but less than with fossil fuels.  So it woiuld slow thigs down a little.  Depending on the crop used and the amount of land space it uses, there may be different economic effects.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Fabricius
Apprentice
Last Login:September 09, 2008, 08:16:19 am
Germany Germany

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 27, 2008, 08:14:45 am »

Biofuels are one among the enery sources of the future.
We are living now the third industrial revolution (1st: steel and coal, 2nd: combustion engine and oil; 3rd: IT and renewable resources).
At the current state bioethanol and biodiesel are not fully sustainable technology (soil erosion, water management..). Much more promising are the "new biofuels" that are either bioethanol but obtained from corn stovers and other cellulose sources (the whole sugar-cane plant can be converted to glucose, so to achieve the full "recycle" of the bagasse..)
I currently work in a major german project to develop new biofuels out of the cellulose degradation...
http://www.vka.rwth-aachen.de/tmf/Englisch/Index_e.htm
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: August 27, 2008, 08:15:27 am »

No mention of the nuclear power plants we'd need for all those hybrids. Or that neither wind or solar are sufficient for base load generation, even without the huge increase in plug in cars.

First, the Democratic plan is far from perfect but it is better than the Republican plan which seems to be composed of two parts: giving the oil companies more land they can hold but not drill on and use to inflate their paper worth (and hence stock prices) and pretending global warming isn't happening (and hiding science that says it is as it opposes their idealogy).

Second, the Democratic Party hasn't been strongly opposed to nuclear power in a while. Parts of the party are, but they are getting to be a smaller and smaller minority.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)