The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2020, 02:24:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 02:24:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Living life to the full?  (Read 6960 times)
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 29, 2008, 04:21:52 pm »

For some people I'm sure that their religious and/or spiritual beliefs have helped them to appreciate their life and try to make the most of it. I am happy that I am one of those people.

However, recently I've been coming into contact with a viewpoint where religion seems to have the opposite effect on a person: they can't wait for the next life to start, and thus disregard the life that they are living now.

What is your opinion on these two viewpoints?

How have your own religious beliefs affected your outlook on life? Do you feel as if you should make the most of this life you are living now? And if so, is that because you think this life is the only life you'll be living? Or because you feel as though one should make the best of every life they live?

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am
United States United States

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 29, 2008, 04:55:09 pm »

How have your own religious beliefs affected your outlook on life? Do you feel as if you should make the most of this life you are living now? And if so, is that because you think this life is the only life you'll be living? Or because you feel as though one should make the best of every life they live?

I tend to believe in reincarnation, so I firmly believe in living my life to the full every time around the wheel.  Much mischief is wrought by individuals who ignore what they could be doing now and look instead to the "good life" yet to come, and I tend to feel that the basic tenets of those religions that promise a (non-reincarnation) afterlife typically don't support ignoring the current life in favor of the next.

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 29, 2008, 05:14:04 pm »

For some people I'm sure that their religious and/or spiritual beliefs have helped them to appreciate their life and try to make the most of it. I am happy that I am one of those people.

However, recently I've been coming into contact with a viewpoint where religion seems to have the opposite effect on a person: they can't wait for the next life to start, and thus disregard the life that they are living now.

I'm not counting on coming back again so yes I'm making the most of life now. If I do return then that will be a bonus.

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 29, 2008, 07:48:25 pm »

I tend to believe in reincarnation, so I firmly believe in living my life to the full every time around the wheel.  Much mischief is wrought by individuals who ignore what they could be doing now and look instead to the "good life" yet to come, and I tend to feel that the basic tenets of those religions that promise a (non-reincarnation) afterlife typically don't support ignoring the current life in favor of the next.

heh...as a believer in reincarnation and a bit of a mischief maker in this life, I feel pretty sure that anything I do that causes harm, I have a moral obligation to at least try to make right, in this life, at my earliest possible convenience, b/c otherwise it will come back and get me at *it's earliest possible convenience. This is not always possible in one lifetime, or even several, if my past time memory is to be believed.

I personally believe that I live in a universe with pretty hard and fast rules around logical and natural consequences, although how that all plays out can be much to subtle for me to understand, or at least to understand very well or very fast-and so I hurt myself and other people and make mistakes at times.  So yes- I live life to the fullest I can, and accept the consequences, for good or ill.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 29, 2008, 08:29:15 pm »

I'm not counting on coming back again so yes I'm making the most of life now. If I do return then that will be a bonus.

I like that thinking. If I happen to return, then I too will see it as a bonus.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 30, 2008, 07:58:08 pm »

I think that you absolutely have the right outlook.

There's no guarantee that any of us will come back. I truly think so, but we're talking about the will of invisible beings whose existence can never be proven.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
Go
Journeyman
Last Login:May 30, 2011, 10:32:23 pm

Religion: A Process

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 02, 2008, 11:11:50 pm »

I don't know if I would call my feelings on this exactly religious, but I suppose religion does inform them in some ways.  I don't really believe in a soul, but I do believe in consciousness.  I'm willing to entertain the idea that consciousness can be transmitted without a physical form.  I also believe that I can't know what death will be until it happens.  Regardless what happens after we die I think It's important to consistently improve reality.  We can do this by making people happier and healthier, being respectful of the earth, or encouraging creativity in ourselves and others.  Why make things worse when you could make them better?  Afterlife or no, I will always strive to make the most of every opportunity. 

Measure twice, cut once, and buy extra material anyway.
leigh137
Journeyman
Last Login:February 05, 2009, 03:07:55 pm

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 03, 2008, 01:48:52 pm »

While I believe in both the afterlife and reincarnation, I also believe that you really should make the most of this life. Why not?
Besides, I would rather not meet the Gods after dying, have them ask "what have you done in your life" and answer "Not much really." How terrible would that be?

"You must have faith... That the universe will unfold as it should."
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: September 03, 2008, 02:27:13 pm »

While I believe in both the afterlife and reincarnation, I also believe that you really should make the most of this life. Why not?
Besides, I would rather not meet the Gods after dying, have them ask "what have you done in your life" and answer "Not much really." How terrible would that be?

I'd much rather regret the things I did that were embarrassing, and the things I tried and failed, than all the things I might have done but didn't.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
leigh137
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 03, 2008, 03:28:26 pm »

I'd much rather regret the things I did that were embarrassing, and the things I tried and failed, than all the things I might have done but didn't.

Exactly! To try and fail really is better than todo nothing at all. It sounds so trite, but to look back and say, "I wish" is heartbreaking to me. Better to say, "I tried".

Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: September 03, 2008, 06:14:25 pm »

Do you feel as if you should make the most of this life you are living now?

Live life for what it is now, but you can still plan for the future. A good balance is important, but doing the things you can now are better than regrets later. I know all to well there may not be a tomorrow.

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: September 03, 2008, 06:58:43 pm »

I dunno.  So far I'm still worried about ending up with a life where I tried a number of options, and failed at everything significant.  It is better to try than to give up first, but failure still sucks.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: September 03, 2008, 08:42:30 pm »

I dunno.  So far I'm still worried about ending up with a life where I tried a number of options, and failed at everything significant.  It is better to try than to give up first, but failure still sucks.

Oh, believe me, I know.  I've got the stack of rejection letters to prove it.

But I keep trying - because otherwise I'll always wonder and mourn that I didn't try hard ENOUGH.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Odjn
Master Member
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 09:12:20 am

Religion: Supreme Skeptic

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: September 04, 2008, 04:47:57 pm »

Do you feel as if you should make the most of this life you are living now?

No. As long as I try to keep fairly healthy and keep out of trouble, I see no reason to live it to the "fullest". Does it matter if I do? Not to me and not to anyone else.

This "living life to the fullest" just aeems, to me, to be another one of those feel good platitudes that sounds nice but in reality is meaningless.

What constitutes "fullest" anyways? To each person it would be quite different, one may think it means getting all the gardening work done while to another it entails jogging.

My outlook is not as rosy and happy as everyone elses here.

leigh137
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: September 04, 2008, 04:58:42 pm »

No. As long as I try to keep fairly healthy and keep out of trouble, I see no reason to live it to the "fullest". Does it matter if I do? Not to me and not to anyone else.

This "living life to the fullest" just aeems, to me, to be another one of those feel good platitudes that sounds nice but in reality is meaningless.

What constitutes "fullest" anyways? To each person it would be quite different, one may think it means getting all the gardening work done while to another it entails jogging.

My outlook is not as rosy and happy as everyone elses here.

Why is it a meaningless platitude? In reality, I was given a choice to try to get a house, which as a single mom is a chore, and staying comfortble where I was. I went out of my comfort zone, and got my house. I think that's mainly what living life to it's fullest means, stepping outside of that comfort zone we all have. If you never do you never know what you can do. Is that what you are talking about, or are you talking about the "do what you want" mentality that seems to permiate the culture right now.
I'm really curious, please don't take this as an attack. I realize I can be really forward and offend when I don't mean to.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)