The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 24, 2020, 06:26:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2020, 06:26:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pocket Shrines  (Read 19515 times)
Aasha
Journeyman
Last Login:October 26, 2009, 02:14:45 pm
United States United States

Religion: Canaanite Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 10, 2007, 11:46:23 pm »

I am extremely interested in the concept of the pocket, or matchbox shrine.  Has anyone here ever made one?

My dictionary defines “shrine” as a place of devotion to a saint or deity, one that may contain relics.  The idea of a pocket shrine is very appealing to me because I would love to have a portable shrine to take with me when I am traveling.  I know some people have altar supplies that they take when they go on vacation.  As I understand it, the main difference between an altar and a shrine is that shrines are not used for making offerings and altars are. 

I found a few sites with examples of pocket shrines:

http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/matchbx.html
http://www.art-shrines.com/pocketshrines/how-to1.htm

They are secular and seem to be more artistic expression than anything else, but the idea would work quite nicely for spiritual purposes.  I also think that a pocket shrine would make a meaningful and interesting gift. 

Any ideas for matchbox-sized symbols or charms relating to Paganism or Eastern religions?  I think I have an empty matchbox around here somewhere . . . 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 11, 2007, 12:01:41 am »

I am extremely interested in the concept of the pocket, or matchbox shrine.  Has anyone here ever made one?

I LOVE this idea!  I had never thought of something like this.

I travel a fair bit, and this is a great idea for the hotel night stand, along with a tealight (which I always put in a coffee mug.

Thank you so much for sharing this idea.  I'm already planning a mini Brighid shrine.  Of course, it'll take a while to decide how to do it, and then to collect all the stuff.  But that's probably half the fun. Wink

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Thesaly
Journeyman
Last Login:May 13, 2008, 06:10:33 pm

Religion: Ecclectic Wiccan (for now)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 11, 2007, 08:05:19 am »

Altoids tins would make great pocket shrines or portable mini-altars.  I've had ideas for them in my head for years, but have never been able to get to it.
juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 14, 2007, 04:04:41 pm »

Okay, disclaimer first; this is my friend Kellie's work again, and her shrines are very expensive. I keep the page bookmarked as inspiration as to what can be done, construction etc. I have never made one, myself, although I do have a portable altar I travel with. The whole thing (candles, incense, tiny cauldron etc) is in a box the size of a tarot deck. But that isn't what you are talking about, right?

Back to Kellie, her work is all hand carved and done in silver, gold and semiprecious stones. They are about half the size of a sunglass case and just breathtaking to see. They are on my Someday list, maybe if I save for months AND it's my birthday, Yule and anniversary all on one day....

http://www.kellymorgen.com/AphroditeShrine.html
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 14, 2007, 04:26:09 pm »

My dictionary defines “shrine” as a place of devotion to a saint or deity, one that may contain relics.  The idea of a pocket shrine is very appealing to me because I would love to have a portable shrine to take with me when I am traveling.  I know some people have altar supplies that they take when they go on vacation.  As I understand it, the main difference between an altar and a shrine is that shrines are not used for making offerings and altars are. 

I found a few sites with examples of pocket shrines:

http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/matchbx.html
http://www.art-shrines.com/pocketshrines/how-to1.htm

They are secular and seem to be more artistic expression than anything else, but the idea would work quite nicely for spiritual purposes.  I also think that a pocket shrine would make a meaningful and interesting gift. 

Any ideas for matchbox-sized symbols or charms relating to Paganism or Eastern religions?  I think I have an empty matchbox around here somewhere . . . 

This is such a wonderful idea!  Oh man... I think I might take a leaf out of Moon Ivy's book and think about a little matchbox shrine for Brigid...

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: April 14, 2007, 04:53:19 pm »

Back to Kellie, her work is all hand carved and done in silver, gold and semiprecious stones. They are about half the size of a sunglass case and just breathtaking to see.

The pictures are amazing. Obviously a lot of work goes into these.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 14, 2007, 05:44:05 pm »

I do a very simple one -

Several years ago, a friend gave me a series of small colored pouches (just big enough to hold standard credit cards, etc. I actually use one of them as a wallet.) When I travel, I pack one of those with a few specific items for a shrine - and set it up when I get there.

Almost all of my items are jewelry, though.
  • Pendant for M'Lady
  • Hair ornament for Himself
  • Hair ornament for the ancients (it's got several glass open hands hanging from it)
  • My phoenix pendant (tradition-specifc dedication/meaning)

If I can manage to bring it, I also bring a small sake cup (relatively solid pottery, easy to pad in a bag.) as my standard morning devotion involves a small amount of water. I don't bring incense, due to potential allergies and the issues with dealing with a lighter or matches while travelling. I do bring a small amount of perfume oil suitable for whatever I'm likely to need while gone. (I'm a Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab fan, which makes this last part easy.)

I've considered making something specifically as a shrine, but I generally want the jewelry with me anyway, so packing both doesn't make as much sense as it might for other people.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: April 14, 2007, 06:30:04 pm »

This is such a wonderful idea!  Oh man... I think I might take a leaf out of Moon Ivy's book and think about a little matchbox shrine for Brigid...

Yeah, I'm definitely doing this.  I even have the container already.   Cheesy

Earlier the same day this thread was started, I had gone to the grocery store.  One of the things I bought was goat cheese for pizzas.  I bought a brand I hadn't tried before.  http://products.peapod.com/9962.html  It comes in this little plastic box that's shaped like a pyramid with the top cut off, so it's flat on top.  So when it's empty, there's a base, and the flat-pyramid part lifts off.  It's perfect.

I didn't even realize it until I opened it a few days later to make the pizzas.

Now, to collect the fun stuff for the inside...

I like the Altoids container idea too.  I'll have to see which one works best.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 14, 2007, 07:28:05 pm »

Okay, disclaimer first; this is my friend Kellie's work again, and her shrines are very expensive. I keep the page bookmarked as inspiration as to what can be done, construction etc. I have never made one, myself, although I do have a portable altar I travel with. The whole thing (candles, incense, tiny cauldron etc) is in a box the size of a tarot deck. But that isn't what you are talking about, right?

Back to Kellie, her work is all hand carved and done in silver, gold and semiprecious stones. They are about half the size of a sunglass case and just breathtaking to see. They are on my Someday list, maybe if I save for months AND it's my birthday, Yule and anniversary all on one day....

http://www.kellymorgen.com/AphroditeShrine.html

I'm using her shrine as inspiration for my own, though they'll be a little bigger. I'm planning to make them out of a very lightweight wood (probably balsa wood). I haven't started yet, but I have a few ideas.

I also like the prayer boxes at the Blessing Bird store at Etsy.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Aasha
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 14, 2007, 09:47:03 pm »

Back to Kellie, her work is all hand carved and done in silver, gold and semiprecious stones. ine.html[/url]

Those are beautiful!  Your friend is very talented.  I hope you are able to buy one of those shrines someday.
Aasha
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 14, 2007, 09:50:13 pm »

Altoids tins would make great pocket shrines or portable mini-altars.  I've had ideas for them in my head for years, but have never been able to get to it.

That's a great idea.  An Altoid tin would be safer and sturdier than a matchbox (or any other paper/cardboard container). 
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 14, 2007, 10:05:14 pm »

Yeah, I'm definitely doing this.  I even have the container already.   Cheesy

Earlier the same day this thread was started, I had gone to the grocery store.  One of the things I bought was goat cheese for pizzas.  I bought a brand I hadn't tried before.  http://products.peapod.com/9962.html  It comes in this little plastic box that's shaped like a pyramid with the top cut off, so it's flat on top.  So when it's empty, there's a base, and the flat-pyramid part lifts off.  It's perfect.

I didn't even realize it until I opened it a few days later to make the pizzas.

Now, to collect the fun stuff for the inside...

I like the Altoids container idea too.  I'll have to see which one works best.

I like the Altoids container idea.  Too bad I left both of the empty boxes I have in my possession at home in Texas...  Tongue  I'd love to see whatever you come up with--I love inspiration!

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 20, 2007, 12:00:08 am »

THere's also the Hershey's truffles containers.  And the ever popular sucrets tins.

I happen to have a truffle container that's going to go somewhere somehow.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 07, 2007, 03:52:28 pm »

I have a "seashell purse" (it's a clamshell with a hinge and clasp on it) which I have filled with stones and such, which I keep on my altar most of the time but I take it with me when I travel. No one in my family would know what it was if they saw it, so it's "safe" to go visiting with, and it can be tucked in my purse easily. Smiley

AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #14: October 07, 2007, 04:23:07 pm »

When I heard the idea the first thing I thought of was maybe using a playing card that you especially enjoy, and then write the gods and goddesses names on it, or maybe a favorite quote religous or non. Then you could slide it in a wallet where a credit card would go, and it could go everywhere with you. You could even do artwork on it.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)