The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 29, 2020, 02:35:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 02:35:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pocket Shrines  (Read 19550 times)
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #15: October 07, 2007, 04:33:28 pm »

Ohhh! Ohhh! Inspiration!

You could paint the altoids tin, then punch out a design on the front and back th top with a piece of paper/felt to add color to it. Or do it the easy way and just paint it... I may make one now... Just what I need another project...

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #16: October 07, 2007, 05:38:21 pm »

You could paint the altoids tin, then punch out a design on the front and back th top with a piece of paper/felt to add color to it. Or do it the easy way and just paint it... I may make one now... Just what I need another project...

Painting the box can be a bit of a pain- lesson learned when I made an altoid box mini altar for a friend.  Sticky-backed scrapbook-type paper works really well to cover the top and bottom- just cut it to fit.  I used some that was metallic silver and cut out at triple moon design for the top (had painted the box blue underneath).   

AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #17: October 07, 2007, 05:43:16 pm »

Painting the box can be a bit of a pain- lesson learned when I made an altoid box mini altar for a friend.

Sand the enamel off of it first. That gloss is what keeps the paint from sticking, if you have it on hand I'd hit it with a primer too.
EntrancedBySeshat
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 21, 2010, 05:19:45 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan/Taoist

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #18: February 10, 2010, 10:25:52 am »

I am extremely interested in the concept of the pocket, or matchbox shrine.  Has anyone here ever made one?

Never any like that.  When I travel, I usually take a small drawstring bag with marble-sized pewter figure and a couple of crystals and stones and a star-shaped tea light holder I bought at Wal-Mart.  It's mobile, and it fits into my purse well, but I usually have to wrap it up in a scarf to keep it safe.  I like the idea of something even smaller than that fitting into a tiny box or an altoid tin.  I'm trying to think of other containers, but the only thing I can really come up with is old jewelry boxes.  If you pull out the padding that's supposed to hold the ring, earrings, what-have-you in place then there's a considerable amount of room in there to keep tiny items.

I've also worn parts of my travel altar as jewelry.  Pentacle pendants can be strung on necklaces and worn under the shirt, then used as centers for mini/temporary altars when you get to wherever you're going or stop at a hotel room.  I knew one girl who did a lot of traveling who wore a locket filled with various small objects of great spiritual value to her.  I had a similar locket with a bead and five cat's claws in it.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: February 12, 2010, 05:11:17 pm »

I used to travel a lot for work, too.  Here is a pic of my travel shrine.

It includes:
*  small goddess figurine that reminds me of Brighid
*  "flameless" candle
*  small quartz sphere -- which I can use to represent water
*  silver ivy ring (as base for sphere)
*  a small wire Brighid's cross (with sunstone bead)
*  blue ribbon/brat (which I put out at Imbolc one year for Brighid's blessing)
*  round tin

I usually set it up on the bedside table in my hotel room, with the cross hanging from a lamp or something, over the rest of it.  The lid of the tin can double as an offering dish and the bottom doubles as a "pedestal" for the figurine.  Sometimes I also take various stones/crystals, my pendulum, etc., but this is the basic set-up.

Everything (including a spare battery for the candle) fits into the tin for easy packing.  I usually put it in my carry-on to make sure it doesn't get lost.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
EntrancedBySeshat
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 21, 2010, 05:19:45 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan/Taoist

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #20: February 13, 2010, 03:17:48 am »

*  "flameless" candle

I really like the shrine, very pretty.  I especially like the flameless candle.  I was always carrying around matches and tea candle (or two), which could be just a bit of a nuisance when travelling.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: February 13, 2010, 03:38:50 am »

I really like the shrine, very pretty.  I especially like the flameless candle.  I was always carrying around matches and tea candle (or two), which could be just a bit of a nuisance when travelling.

Yeah, it can.  I *have* lit real candles in hotel rooms, but it always makes me really nervous.  I'm afraid I'm going to set off the smoke alarm, even though I know that's highly unlikely with a single, small candle.

I have several versions of flameless candles for different uses.  I have both orange and blue versions of the large candle.  The orange one is on my Brighid shelf, and it stays on all the time.  The blue one turned out to be a problem because it flickers so fast it's almost seizure-inducing.  I also have a bunch of the little votive kind, one with an orange flame (which was sort of a "gift" from Brighid), and about a dozen white ones and a dozen that change color (those were Christmas gifts).

I love them because they're reasonable realistic (although nowhere near as realistic as the ads make them sound) and safe.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #22: February 13, 2010, 03:47:57 am »

I am extremely interested in the concept of the pocket, or matchbox shrine.  Has anyone here ever made one?

My dictionary defines “shrine” as a place of devotion to a saint or deity, one that may contain relics.  The idea of a pocket shrine is very appealing to me because I would love to have a portable shrine to take with me when I am traveling.  I know some people have altar supplies that they take when they go on vacation.  As I understand it, the main difference between an altar and a shrine is that shrines are not used for making offerings and altars are. 

My pocket shrine is really simple and I can take it absolutely anywhere in the world. Unsuprisingly, all it is is a selection of crystals-the only differences to my main altar are size of crystals and variety. I use tumblestones, and just a small variety of them-whichever feel apopropriate for where I am going and what I am doing. They are in a small velvet bag (handmade by me) and are taken everywhere I go.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
MadHouseWitch
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 22, 2016, 07:07:41 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: April 24, 2010, 10:27:04 pm »

When I heard the idea the first thing I thought of was maybe using a playing card that you especially enjoy, and then write the gods and goddesses names on it, or maybe a favorite quote religous or non. Then you could slide it in a wallet where a credit card would go, and it could go everywhere with you. You could even do artwork on it.

I like that idea as well, plus the King and Queen of Hearts is special to me, the King from the Deck of cards my Great Grandfather and I used to play with all the time was put in his pocket when he passed (the rest of the deck is now in my scrapbook with his pic in the kings space) and my Mother has the Queen with her when she passed....

In general I do really like the pocket shrine idea though,  I have seen pocket altars on etsy and ebay done out of polymer clay, and that would not be too hard to reproduce either.
Petrichor
Journeyman
Last Login:November 21, 2010, 12:14:10 am

Religion: Spiritual aka I'm figuring it out

If you're reading this then I am no longer lurking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: July 05, 2010, 06:50:46 pm »

Okay, disclaimer first; this is my friend Kellie's work again, and her shrines are very expensive. I keep the page bookmarked as inspiration as to what can be done, construction etc. I have never made one, myself, although I do have a portable altar I travel with. The whole thing (candles, incense, tiny cauldron etc) is in a box the size of a tarot deck. But that isn't what you are talking about, right?

Back to Kellie, her work is all hand carved and done in silver, gold and semiprecious stones. They are about half the size of a sunglass case and just breathtaking to see. They are on my Someday list, maybe if I save for months AND it's my birthday, Yule and anniversary all on one day....

http://www.kellymorgen.com/AphroditeShrine.html
The artistry in this is really something fantastic. I don't see many professional artists reach this level.

Life is dangerous, no one gets out alive.
Abgeneth
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:39:02 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: (British Traditional) Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: July 31, 2010, 06:41:11 pm »

Wow, these shrines and ideas are absolutely great!

I have got a metal cream jar about the size of my palm and I think, I'll try it on my inspiration.

Perhaps I will cover it in fabric or sew some sort of sheath for it, so it won't open in the wrong moment.

Years ago, I saw some pictures of vodoun shrines (are they called so? Don't take offence if I'm mistaken, please!), but I totally forgot where. Those were highly decorated with different fabrics, ribbons, stones, sequins, gemstones, tiny mirrors, shells, pieces of wood, pictures, nuts, and so on. Perhaps I will use some of the handycrafty ideas there.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)