The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 27, 2020, 02:47:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2020, 02:47:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Longer term 'spiritual' effects of psylocybin  (Read 2578 times)
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Topic Start: August 30, 2008, 05:50:00 pm »

Spiritual Effects Of Hallucinogens Persist, Researchers Report

ScienceDaily (July 2, 2008) In a follow-up to research showing that psilocybin, a substance contained in "sacred mushrooms," produces substantial spiritual effects, a Johns Hopkins team reports that those beneficial effects appear to last more than a year.

I knew it wasn't just me  Grin

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #1: August 30, 2008, 07:19:03 pm »

ScienceDaily (July 2, 2008) In a follow-up to research showing that psilocybin, a substance contained in "sacred mushrooms," produces substantial spiritual effects, a Johns Hopkins team reports that those beneficial effects appear to last more than a year.

I could have told you that Wink
I haven't done shrooms in over 25 years, and I still can see the Goddess in a leaf or a rock or a parking lot anytime I want.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #2: August 30, 2008, 07:32:53 pm »

I think anyone who's actually done them can testify to this, although seeing it in a scientific study is nice.  Wink
BGMarc
Adept Member
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #3: August 30, 2008, 09:01:54 pm »

I think anyone who's actually done them can testify to this, although seeing it in a scientific study is nice.  Wink

Yes, that was mostly the point of the post. Given the strong influence that science has on legislatures, I see it as a step in the right direction (albeit on a very slow journey). I also thought it relevant to TC, as we have had previous conversations that included numerous outright denials of the potential role of entheogens in 'genuine' spirituality.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #4: August 30, 2008, 11:30:43 pm »

I also thought it relevant to TC, as we have had previous conversations that included numerous outright denials of the potential role of entheogens in 'genuine' spirituality.

that's true, but I don 't think the negative effects of *habitually using drugs of any kind for spiritual or any other purposes can really be overemphasized. I have known too many people who really thought they were justified in ruining their lives and/or the lives of others with their "sacred" drug use. If you are getting high all the time and you're still not one with Shiva, or whoever, chances are strong you're not doing much of anything else either.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

BGMarc
Adept Member
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #5: August 30, 2008, 11:56:02 pm »

that's true, but I don 't think the negative effects of *habitually using drugs of any kind for spiritual or any other purposes can really be overemphasized.

You certainly won't get any argument from me there, although I would probably present the issue in terms of the negative effects of inappropriately overusing any technique. I have seen lives 'destroyed' by excessive church attendance, dogmatic insistence on opinion, overwork and o'erweening self esteem.

Thing is, I have sometimes found that the emphasis on excess and inappropriateness can get lost in an unthinking 'drugs are bad' message. I'm really not sure that this helps anyone. It particularly concerns me in contexts where a previously-inexperienced individual tries an entheogen and finds that it isn't 'bad' in any way that they can immediately identify. That can lead to a disregard for judicious practice and an abusive pattern of use at least as easily as an unthinking 'drugs are fine' message can.

BGMarc at the Pub
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #6: August 31, 2008, 11:01:16 am »

Thing is, I have sometimes found that the emphasis on excess and inappropriateness can get lost in an unthinking 'drugs are bad' message. I'm really not sure that this helps anyone. It particularly concerns me in contexts where a previously-inexperienced individual tries an entheogen and finds that it isn't 'bad' in any way that they can immediately identify. That can lead to a disregard for judicious practice and an abusive pattern of use at least as easily as an unthinking 'drugs are fine' message can.

I agree, but it can be a fine line b/w the two modes of use-that's how addiction overwhelms people. The most effective protection against that is plain old education about any substance before you try it, ime, and using critical thinking about what you put in your body, for whatever reason, instead of relying on someone else's good/bad paradigm.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

BGMarc
Adept Member
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #7: August 31, 2008, 04:20:55 pm »

I agree, but it can be a fine line b/w the two modes of use-that's how addiction overwhelms people.

Yes, it's sort of lucky that the entheogens generally are non-addictive, unlike amphetamines and opiates. Addiction is a savage beast and can creep up on even the most educated of users of some substances Sad

BGMarc at the Pub

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)