The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 15, 2021, 03:45:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2021, 03:45:56 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Red Magic  (Read 6961 times)
Sir Oracle
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 23, 2014, 04:51:11 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Chaos Magician/ Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 11, 2007, 07:36:15 am »

hi there,
i suppose this should really be in the Chaos Magick section, but for some reason i cant post in there so this will have to do. basically, after reading a kind of primer on Red and Black magick, i realised that Red Magic would be a very interesting topic to study, and, if appropriately used, could be quite useful. i was just wondering, are there any sites/ books that can teach me about red magic? sites would be preferred, but books would be good too. thanks!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 11, 2007, 08:22:37 am »

i was just wondering, are there any sites/ books that can teach me about red magic? sites would be preferred, but books would be good too. thanks!

How are you defining Red Magic? I've seen a number of different definitions over the years.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #2: April 11, 2007, 08:38:27 am »

hi there,
i suppose this should really be in the Chaos Magick section, but for some reason i cant post in there so this will have to do.

Have a look at this thread for information on why you can't post in certain sections:
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=45.0

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: April 11, 2007, 09:33:39 am »

hi there,
i suppose this should really be in the Chaos Magick section, but for some reason i cant post in there so this will have to do. basically, after reading a kind of primer on Red and Black magick, i realised that Red Magic would be a very interesting topic to study, and, if appropriately used, could be quite useful. i was just wondering, are there any sites/ books that can teach me about red magic? sites would be preferred, but books would be good too. thanks!

I'm guessing you're talking about Mars/war themed magic, assuming you're using the same definition as Carroll. Smiley  If you haven't read it, Liber Kaos contains some stuff on the subject (thats where Carroll decides to use various colour themed dscriptions of magic), but it's a fairly superficial book.  Plus it's *all* available online.  If you haven't visited Chaos Matrix yet, that's worth doing.

Other than that, I'd recommend reading widely.  Anything that gives you inspiration might be an interesting start for an experiment.

Is there anything you've used 'red magic' for previously, or any areas you were planning to begin experimentation?

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Sir Oracle
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 23, 2014, 04:51:11 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Chaos Magician/ Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 11, 2007, 04:28:17 pm »

yes, i was defining Red magick as War magic. sorry, i should have cleared that up

i havent used it before, but i felt that it would be useful to know more about it, as the techniques behind the magic could be very useful in other areas. basically, i just need the basic ideas, and i could experiment with them to get it right. thanks!
violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 11, 2007, 08:32:34 pm »

As I recall red magic has a lot to with vitality and intimidation - getting people to think you're tough and yet hopefully never having to actually get down to combat, although being good at combat is another component. (I'm sure Everfool will correct me if I'm wrong on that, but that's what I seem to remember about it.) So you could probably play with glamours and see which ones get people to pee their pants when you approach and which simply get you beaten up.

Alternately, you could probably think of some interesting ways to incorporate red magic into martial arts training ro some other form of physical fighting, no?

- N
(bruised in the name of magic)
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: April 12, 2007, 03:44:26 am »

As I recall red magic has a lot to with vitality and intimidation - getting people to think you're tough and yet hopefully never having to actually get down to combat, although being good at combat is another component. (I'm sure Everfool will correct me if I'm wrong on that, but that's what I seem to remember about it.) So you could probably play with glamours and see which ones get people to pee their pants when you approach and which simply get you beaten up.

Alternately, you could probably think of some interesting ways to incorporate red magic into martial arts training ro some other form of physical fighting, no?

- N
(bruised in the name of magic)

I'm actually going to have to hit my books when I have some free time.  I've never deliberately engaged in red magic, but I might have done it on accident.  (hence checking the books).
As for combining magic with fighting, speaking as someone who does minimal training with chi at karate, it apparently takes decades of training to become effective at using chi.  So I'd focus *first* on the martial aspect.  Incidentally that does have an impact - I'm less frightened of the prospect of violence when I'm out these days, so it is worth doing. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
violentsound
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 12, 2007, 12:25:41 pm »

So I'd focus *first* on the martial aspect

Oh yeah, totally agreed. I have NO martial arts training, but my father and godfather are like, old ninja-y guys, and they have stressed mastering the physical before the chi. (I feel like a tool for not mentioning that, actually.)

- N
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: April 13, 2007, 06:35:22 am »

Oh yeah, totally agreed. I have NO martial arts training, but my father and godfather are like, old ninja-y guys, and they have stressed mastering the physical before the chi. (I feel like a tool for not mentioning that, actually.)

- N

Personally Ive done stuff with chi, and I'm *still* a skeptic. Smiley  The physical side is a lot more useful in combat than chi.  Anyone I've heard of doing anything impressive with chi has generally been practising for 30 or so years.

violentsound
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 14, 2007, 03:34:21 pm »

My godfather is also very into martial arts, and I remember sitting at dinner with him and my dad while they discussed that very fact, actually.

Godfather: Yeah, this guy could throw a man across the room without touching him--

N: COOL! I'd do that all the time if I could--

Dad: The guy was also 95 years old, dear.

N: ... Oh.

Godfather: And had been practising for 80. *then starts lecturing on how throwing-people-across-the-room-with-your-ZOMG-powerz! is not the point*

N: *shuts up and eats her pita bread*
Derek
Master Member
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 04:12:38 pm

Religion: hellenic-ish polytheist

In the beginning, the Universe percieved itself.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 16, 2007, 09:35:06 pm »

If you haven't visited Chaos Matrix yet, that's worth doing.

Chaos Matrix (more accurately Fenwick) had a section on occult swordplay on the old site.  That stuff didn't come to the new site, but in the period when he was completely down, I found an archived version.  House Dreamblade is/was his tradition of occult swordplay.

The purpose of Life is to experience. In order to experience new things, one has to change and grow. Therefore, to grow is integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.
Conversly: Monotony is an experience.  Therefore, stagnation can be integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)