The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2020, 05:19:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 05:19:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fictional Characters in Religion and Magic.  (Read 21526 times)
Go
Journeyman
Last Login:May 30, 2011, 10:32:23 pm
United States United States

Religion: A Process

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 03, 2008, 01:11:57 am »

There seems to be some connection between religion and storytelling.  Many of histories greatest stories tell about deities and their (mis)adventures.  Is it so strange then that characters from stories could become religious figures?  If the experience feels real does it matter that the entity with whom you interact (supposedly) isn't?  How do you feel about the idea of a whole religion based on such a fiction?  Have you ever worked with a fictional character?  If so, who and how?

Measure twice, cut once, and buy extra material anyway.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 03, 2008, 05:45:27 am »

There seems to be some connection between religion and storytelling.  Many of histories greatest stories tell about deities and their (mis)adventures.  Is it so strange then that characters from stories could become religious figures?  If the experience feels real does it matter that the entity with whom you interact (supposedly) isn't?  How do you feel about the idea of a whole religion based on such a fiction?  Have you ever worked with a fictional character?  If so, who and how?

It's not something I've done yet, because I've never really found a fictional setting and/or characters that I would be comfortable using and/or find useful, but it's something I would do and see no reason why it can't be done.

As far as the idea of a religion, in newWitch several years ago there was an article written by a girl who worshipped the LOTR characters as deities, and she seemed pretty content, so if it works for you, then great.  Personally I'm not sure how it would be outside of magickal use, because in the case of magick, you maintain belief long enough for your purposes, and then can discard it afterward.  But then again, what with the making of servitors, egregores, etc, there's really no reason these ... "entities" won't eventually develop into separate beings, if they are not already.  So, I guess yeah it could work, if you're okay worshipping or whatever something you or someone else created.  But then again, maybe that can be applied to all religious thought/deities.

lol Obviously this is something I debate back and forth with myself sometimes.
tigerlily717
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2010, 01:07:27 pm

Religion: witch

ThinkPositively LiveIntentionally LoveGenerously

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 03, 2008, 12:25:21 pm »

Centuries from now, they may find info and names of characters that never existed, like legend of Zelda, and they may end up worshipping those "Old Gods" thinking they are somehow honoring an ancient religious system... nintendo entertainment system.  They'll look up the original translation of nin-ten-do and a whole new pagan will be born.
Go
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 03, 2008, 08:16:24 pm »

Centuries from now, they may find info and names of characters that never existed, like legend of Zelda, and they may end up worshipping those "Old Gods" thinking they are somehow honoring an ancient religious system... nintendo entertainment system.  They'll look up the original translation of nin-ten-do and a whole new pagan will be born.

I like that.  Ancient literature often tends to be interpreted as religious, it's funny to think that could happen with fiction.

Go
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 03, 2008, 08:22:37 pm »

I do sometimes work with Dream (Of Sandman comics).  I perform a specific type of devotion and make offerings.  I usually ask for particular types of guidance/inspiration or dream experiences. 

On rare occasions I also work with Bugs Bunny.

It does not bother me to find others engaging in such practices, I see great potential in this area.  Particularly for self-exploration.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: September 03, 2008, 09:10:14 pm »

I do sometimes work with Dream (Of Sandman comics).  I perform a specific type of devotion and make offerings.  I usually ask for particular types of guidance/inspiration or dream experiences. 

You do know that the Neil Gaiman character is based off an actual god, right?

I'm skeptical in regards to worshiping fictional characters as deities.  For one, there is definite proof that they came from the head of one person.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 03, 2008, 09:16:42 pm »

Ah, I've thought about using the Endless from time to time.  What do you do, if I may ask?
Go
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 03, 2008, 09:20:15 pm »

I'm skeptical in regards to worshiping fictional characters as deities.  For one, there is definite proof that they came from the head of one person.

I am aware that Dream is based on Morpheus, however I use representations of the character and follow his story from the comics rather than the mythology/representations of the god.  Also, I'm not sure that for me "worship" is the right word.

Fictional characters may come from the head of one person (though in some cases this is debatable), but they are charged and enlivened by the imagination and focus of every person who has ever seen/read/experienced them.  The more popular and long lived the character, the stronger the energy.  Working with such a character is similar to working with Jungian archetypes.  

Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 03, 2008, 09:21:05 pm »

True, but if people can create servitors etc (depending on what you believe), then why can't these entities "evolve" into godforms?

And Morpheus/Dream is pretty different from Morpheus.  Gaiman says, I think more than once, that the Endless are not gods, but ... I forget how he puts it, but more or less a "god's god."  They ARE what they are called, not the god of dreams, or goddess of death, they actually embody these concepts.
Go
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 03, 2008, 09:23:48 pm »

Ah, I've thought about using the Endless from time to time.  What do you do, if I may ask?

It depends on which one I'm working with.  Generally I will place a representation of them on my alter, burn incense and candles, and talk to them about I want or am trying to do.  With Dream I record my dreams regularly while working with him.

Go
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: September 03, 2008, 09:27:11 pm »

True, but if people can create servitors etc (depending on what you believe), then why can't these entities "evolve" into godforms?

And Morpheus/Dream is pretty different from Morpheus.  Gaiman says, I think more than once, that the Endless are not gods, but ... I forget how he puts it, but more or less a "god's god."  They ARE what they are called, not the god of dreams, or goddess of death, they actually embody these concepts.

Very true.  I think it is a large part of why the characters speak to me so.  I believe that the concept of dream has power in itself, Dream is just a compelling point of access. 

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: September 03, 2008, 09:36:59 pm »

Fictional characters may come from the head of one person (though in some cases this is debatable), but they are charged and enlivened by the imagination and focus of every person who has ever seen/read/experienced them.  The more popular and long lived the character, the stronger the energy.  Working with such a character is similar to working with Jungian archetypes. 

Well, you're talking to someone who thinks Jungian archetypes are bullshit nothing more than pop psychology that shouldn't be taken seriously Wink

My Spiritual Blog
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: September 03, 2008, 09:41:23 pm »

Servitors are among the things that I don't care much about either way.  Some people believe in them, some people do not, I just don't give a rat's ass.

And Morpheus/Dream is pretty different from Morpheus.  Gaiman says, I think more than once, that the Endless are not gods, but ... I forget how he puts it, but more or less a "god's god."  They ARE what they are called, not the god of dreams, or goddess of death, they actually embody these concepts.

<takes time to admit that Sandman is one of those things he alway meant to read, but never got around to it>

My Spiritual Blog
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #13: September 03, 2008, 09:43:38 pm »

<takes time to admit that Sandman is one of those things he alway meant to read, but never got around to it>

<Slap>

The Sandman series is something that deserves to have time made for it.  I'm a comic geek who wastes too much time reading too many comics, but even for me it was something completely other, and it was inescapably mesmerizing.

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: September 03, 2008, 09:44:52 pm »

How do you feel about the idea of a whole religion based on such a fiction?  Have you ever worked with a fictional character?  If so, who and how?

Well I made up my own personifications for certain things (e.g. 'Wisdom'). Not sure if you could call it a 'religion' since it's strictly keyed to my preferences (and draws power from being very personal, I think).

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)