The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 03, 2021, 04:07:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 03, 2021, 04:07:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fictional Characters in Religion and Magic.  (Read 29215 times)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: September 03, 2008, 09:49:21 pm »

<Slap>

The Sandman series is something that deserves to have time made for it.  I'm a comic geek who wastes too much time reading too many comics, but even for me it was something completely other, and it was inescapably mesmerizing.

<rubs spot where Thain smacked him>

Slap me like that again and I will release the hounds Grin

I tend to read regular books over comic books which is odd because there are currently five webcomics in my bookmarks.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #16: September 03, 2008, 09:54:00 pm »

I tend to read regular books over comic books which is odd because there are currently five webcomics in my bookmarks.

I tend to read everything I can get my hands on Cheesy.

Only 5, though?  I've got 21 I check regularly.

*looks around for the puppies*

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: September 03, 2008, 10:02:23 pm »

I tend to read everything I can get my hands on Cheesy.

Only 5, though?  I've got 21 I check regularly.

There are others that I think look interesting, but don't have time for.  Out of the five in my bookmarks: one has ended years ago and only read it if the mood hits me, one is on hiatus and another (along with a sixth that isn't in my bookmarks) is completely unpredictable in its updates.

*looks around for the puppies*

Not puppies.  Think Mr. Burns from The Simpsons.

<note to self: come up with scarier punishments>

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
thain
Master Member

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #18: September 03, 2008, 10:10:04 pm »

Not puppies.  Think Mr. Burns from The Simpsons.

<note to self: come up with scarier punishments>

My wife had a very large, very protective Boxer when we first started dating.  Dogs don't scare me much, anymore Cheesy

Rabibits, though...that's another story, ever since Monty Python showed me that there were...abnormal rabbits in the world Grin

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Go
Journeyman
Last Login:May 30, 2011, 10:32:23 pm

Religion: A Process

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: September 03, 2008, 11:23:47 pm »

Well, you're talking to someone who thinks Jungian archetypes are bullshit nothing more than pop psychology that shouldn't be taken seriously Wink

But it works for some people.  And if it works its worth a try. 

Measure twice, cut once, and buy extra material anyway.
Go
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: September 03, 2008, 11:25:50 pm »

Well I made up my own personifications for certain things (e.g. 'Wisdom'). Not sure if you could call it a 'religion' since it's strictly keyed to my preferences (and draws power from being very personal, I think).

Can you elaborate a little bit?  Like, exactly what do you mean by personifications?

Go
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: September 03, 2008, 11:27:45 pm »

<rubs spot where Thain smacked him>

Slap me like that again and I will release the hounds Grin

It's not really like reading a comic book.  It's more like a visual translation of a Neil Gaiman novel.

thain
Master Member

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #22: September 03, 2008, 11:31:44 pm »

Can you elaborate a little bit?  Like, exactly what do you mean by personifications?

Not treekisser, but I would imagine personifications would be somewhat like Gaiman's Endless.  Dream, and the like.  Rather than having a character or god(dess) of wisdom, you have an archetypal persona you have created for yourself.

wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: September 04, 2008, 02:58:01 am »

Not treekisser, but I would imagine personifications would be somewhat like Gaiman's Endless.  Dream, and the like.  Rather than having a character or god(dess) of wisdom, you have an archetypal persona you have created for yourself.

Yes, but honestly, if you go back far enough, the ideas we have of deities, likely started out like this.  One person's ideas as to how/what/who the gods are/were.  They likely started out as stories told by one person, which made some sort of sense to the people, and they stuck.  Or rather the myths likely started out this way.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
tigerlily717
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2010, 01:07:27 pm

Religion: witch

ThinkPositively LiveIntentionally LoveGenerously

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: September 04, 2008, 10:35:10 am »

Well, you're talking to someone who thinks Jungian archetypes are bullshit nothing more than pop psychology that shouldn't be taken seriously Wink
Many people believe that there are no other gods but one and that these archtypes are a way to focus the energy style so to speak that they need specifically, why not glinda from the wizard of oz?  this character is pure fiction but none the less a major staple in many people's lives and takes on a life of it's own to those that idealize/idolize her.  now wicked witch, that's a-whole-nother level, we know how much she has influenced the world.  and dorothy, the witch who wasn't.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: September 04, 2008, 10:49:50 am »

now wicked witch, that's a-whole-nother level, we know how much she has influenced the world.

I can see howpresent in pop-culture etc the wicked witch is, I'm not sure how much *influence* the character has had on the *world.*

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: September 04, 2008, 11:35:32 am »

Mmmm sort of except as I understand it archetypes are universal 'instincts'/'forms' postulated by Jung, which we can't directly perceive but find manifest in various personifications (e.g. Odin, Zeus, other father-types).

Rather than universal, I think of my personifications as specifically keyed to me. Part universal-force, yes, but part me, based on my reaction to a particular universal force rather than an 'undiluted' form of it. So e.g. my own father-type personification wouldn't be some generic Allfather force or deity, but based on the way I interact with father types.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
tigerlily717
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2010, 01:07:27 pm

Religion: witch

ThinkPositively LiveIntentionally LoveGenerously

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: September 04, 2008, 04:29:25 pm »

I can see howpresent in pop-culture etc the wicked witch is, I'm not sure how much *influence* the character has had on the *world.*
Pop culture it may be, but that encompasses a large part of the *world*.  And maybe *world* was not the best word to describe my conceptual point that there are many people out there who relate to that character, maybe or maybe not the evil, but the angst and hate, and I've met a few.  I've also met a few too many Glinda as fluffy bunny numero uno who feel as if the world is one yellow brick road.  I personally am somewhere in between, but that doesn't make it any less relevant.  And besides it's just one example.  I've also met World of Warcraft players (and old school D&D) who relate thier online persona to real life.  And these people aren't stereotypes sitting at home delusional afraid of the real world.  These are working folks who feel these characters mirror themselves.  They still have jobs and lives and children, but a thousand years from now,(my original point) people may find WoW or D&D paraphanelia and assume erroniously that these were gods to us.  And why couldn't they be.  Not all of the world believes the greek pantheon really existed as living breathing powerful beings.  Nor does all the world believe Ganesh was an actual elephant.  The point is there is no proof of these ancient ones, so who's to say that in the future, the evidence won't point to two opposing goddesses, and the rogue who killed the one with magickal slippers.
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #28: September 04, 2008, 06:28:17 pm »

They still have jobs and lives and children, but a thousand years from now,(my original point) people may find WoW or D&D paraphanelia and assume erroniously that these were gods to us. 

I think anyone in the future finding D&D and/or WoW leftovers, etc., will be smart enough to figure out that they are/were games.
thain
Master Member

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #29: September 04, 2008, 07:11:03 pm »

I think anyone in the future finding D&D and/or WoW leftovers, etc., will be smart enough to figure out that they are/were games.

I would certainly hope so.  After all, I don't think anyone believed the Roman D20 discovered not too long ago was anything besides a gaming die.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)