The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 06, 2021, 11:50:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2021, 11:50:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fictional Characters in Religion and Magic.  (Read 30080 times)
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #60: January 20, 2010, 02:40:39 am »

The Rani also appeared in a couple of stories.  She was fun.

I've got that DVD on the way soon!

I always found that the more human the enemy, the scarier they are. When Christopher Eccleston had the double episode 'The Empty Child' and 'The Doctor Dances', I thought that was beautifully done, and really unnerving because all is was was a child in a gas mask asking 'Are you my mummy?' all the time-it was so eerie! I think it is because it shows that the greatest monsters around are human beings.....

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #61: January 20, 2010, 08:20:34 am »

I've got that DVD on the way soon!

I always found that the more human the enemy, the scarier they are. When Christopher Eccleston had the double episode 'The Empty Child' and 'The Doctor Dances', I thought that was beautifully done, and really unnerving because all is was was a child in a gas mask asking 'Are you my mummy?' all the time-it was so eerie! I think it is because it shows that the greatest monsters around are human beings.....

Deeefinitely. I don't know if you watch Torchwood or not, but the episode Countrycide is terrifying for just that reason.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #62: January 20, 2010, 11:21:32 am »

Deeefinitely. I don't know if you watch Torchwood or not, but the episode Countrycide is terrifying for just that reason.

Not really keen on Torchwood-on the plus side though, James Marsters is in it for a while. Damn, that guy is cute! He has fantastic eyes and cheekbones (not that those are 2 of the main things that I look for, along with long hair, in any way shape or form  Grin ).

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Rowanfox
Master Member
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 12:55:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gardnerian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #63: January 20, 2010, 12:17:07 pm »

I can see howpresent in pop-culture etc the wicked witch is, I'm not sure how much *influence* the character has had on the *world.*

There are other pop culture forms that have had great influence on the modern world, though.

The Force comes to mind....with Yoda as it's prophet. The concept of the Force has had an effect on a whole generation.

I am suffereing from a bad cold and the effects of cheap cold drugs, but I recall vaguely the Gaia concept being present in many old school sci-fi stories. Not sure which came first, the stories, or the more modern whole Earth ideas.

Stanger in a Strange Land introduced us to the idea of Grokking, and was a powerful philosophical/religious influence on many of that generation.

While these are not exactly fictional CHARACTERS per se, they are philosophical or religious ideas that were reformed into a fictional mythos that had a profound influence on generations of readers and movie goers.

FrancoFerret
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 24, 2011, 10:40:24 pm

Religion: Agnostic Pantheist & Eclectic Pagan

Gravatar

May I please check your closet for Narnia?

Blog entries (0)

francob

Ignore
« Reply #64: June 27, 2010, 09:26:47 pm »

There seems to be some connection between religion and storytelling.  Many of histories greatest stories tell about deities and their (mis)adventures.  Is it so strange then that characters from stories could become religious figures?  If the experience feels real does it matter that the entity with whom you interact (supposedly) isn't?  How do you feel about the idea of a whole religion based on such a fiction?  Have you ever worked with a fictional character?  If so, who and how?
I read once in a chaos magic book that you could use fictional character in your "workings", I have been doing this. It's kinda quirky but whatever.
I keep a trading card in my altar of "The scarlet witch" who is a comic book hero, created in 1964, who has the ability to manipulate probability to her favor, or against a target. So basically she had raw chaos magic potential.

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #65: June 27, 2010, 09:36:01 pm »

I read once in a chaos magic book that you could use fictional character in your "workings", I have been doing this. It's kinda quirky but whatever.
I keep a trading card in my altar of "The scarlet witch" who is a comic book hero, created in 1964, who has the ability to manipulate probability to her favor, or against a target. So basically she had raw chaos magic potential.

I know her! Wanda Something-or-Other, Quicksilver's (twin) sister, Magneto's daughter, cause of the giant mutant catastrophe a few years back in one of the X-Men series, I think.

...yeah so I'm kind of a fan of comics. ^_^;; She's awesome.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #66: June 27, 2010, 09:37:45 pm »

I know her! Wanda Something-or-Other, Quicksilver's (twin) sister, Magneto's daughter, cause of the giant mutant catastrophe a few years back in one of the X-Men series, I think.

Isn't she also the mother of a young gay superhero that goes by the name Wiccan (formally Asgard)?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
FrancoFerret
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 24, 2011, 10:40:24 pm

Religion: Agnostic Pantheist & Eclectic Pagan

Gravatar

May I please check your closet for Narnia?

Blog entries (0)

francob

Ignore
« Reply #67: June 27, 2010, 11:25:15 pm »

Yeah, her powers evolved so much that they changed from probability altering to reality manipulation, she basically had the power to erase you from existence by just thinking about it, but she had mental breakdown and depowered 90% of the mutant population in the marvel universe, it's a catastrophe that happened in 2003 and it's still reflected in the comics today.

Isn't she also the mother of a young gay superhero that goes by the name Wiccan (formally Asgard)?
Yes, and No. Is she the mother? No. But theories say that he was created by the magic of the scarlet witch by accident.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)