The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 03, 2021, 03:36:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 03, 2021, 03:36:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about Chaos  (Read 6167 times)
Go
Journeyman
Last Login:May 30, 2011, 10:32:23 pm
United States United States

Religion: A Process

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 03, 2008, 01:26:37 am »

So there aren't that many Chaotes out there, the number is beginning to grow but it remains small.  So inevitably, you get a lot of questions (or have them if you don't know any chaotes).  So, what questions do you get often?  Or, what questions do you want to ask?

The thing I hear most often is probably, "So you don't believe in anything then, right?" 

Measure twice, cut once, and buy extra material anyway.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 03, 2008, 05:33:00 am »

So there aren't that many Chaotes out there, the number is beginning to grow but it remains small.  So inevitably, you get a lot of questions (or have them if you don't know any chaotes).  So, what questions do you get often?  Or, what questions do you want to ask?

The thing I hear most often is probably, "So you don't believe in anything then, right?" 

To which I would likely respond (in my own situation) : "No, I believe in pretty much anything."

I don't really share my beliefs/practices with anyone, thus minimizing any questions that might come up.  Wink
Go
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 03, 2008, 08:13:01 pm »

To which I would likely respond (in my own situation) : "No, I believe in pretty much anything."

I don't really share my beliefs/practices with anyone, thus minimizing any questions that might come up.  Wink

He He, I usually say I believe in just about everything, just not all at once. 

treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 03, 2008, 08:52:29 pm »

I believe in whatever seems to work.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Go
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 03, 2008, 09:24:57 pm »

I believe in whatever seems to work.

That is a very pragmatic approach.  I feel like this type of practicality lies at the heart of Chaos magic.

treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 03, 2008, 09:35:07 pm »

That is a very pragmatic approach.  I feel like this type of practicality lies at the heart of Chaos magic.

Mind you, I've never been able to really do the believe-temporarily-then-discard-later thing. Rather than shifting paradigms I'm more of a creating-my-own-paradigm type, since I feel better about having a base to work with.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 03, 2008, 11:11:20 pm »

Mind you, I've never been able to really do the believe-temporarily-then-discard-later thing. Rather than shifting paradigms I'm more of a creating-my-own-paradigm type, since I feel better about having a base to work with.

For me it has never been about discarding so much as "this has stopped working, I need to find something else now."  I try to use 'em as long as possible, but nothing ever seems to stick.
Go
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 03, 2008, 11:22:06 pm »

That makes sense.  Personally I think of it as having a paradigm which allows for the simultaneous (non-competing) existence of other paradigms. 

wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 04, 2008, 03:02:17 am »

For me it has never been about discarding so much as "this has stopped working, I need to find something else now."  I try to use 'em as long as possible, but nothing ever seems to stick.

I have a few basic beliefs.  But the rest seems to shift, and in some cases a lot.  The solid beliefs I have tend to be simply those that govern my morality.  Although, sometimes I really wish I could get rid of those pesky things...

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
Lusiphelia
Master Member

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 04, 2008, 03:25:22 am »

I have a few basic beliefs.  But the rest seems to shift, and in some cases a lot.  The solid beliefs I have tend to be simply those that govern my morality.  Although, sometimes I really wish I could get rid of those pesky things...

lol wouldn't that be nice.
Go
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: September 05, 2008, 02:07:38 am »

My ethics do tend to remain pretty constant also.  If a practice seriously conflicts with them I am not likely to engage in it.

obsidianmagick
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 12, 2010, 06:38:24 am

Religion: N/A

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 12, 2010, 05:55:49 am »

My ethics do tend to remain pretty constant also.  If a practice seriously conflicts with them I am not likely to engage in it.

So how would you define Chaos Magick exactly?
Syncearae
Journeyman
Last Login:October 15, 2012, 12:47:57 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan with Native American beliefs

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: December 04, 2010, 05:25:05 pm »

So how would you define Chaos Magick exactly?

Using any mystical thing availble to come up with individualized techniques that produce results that will alter my life on many levels.

Balance that is unbalanced to maintain balance.
Life is what you make yourself (into).
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: December 04, 2010, 10:02:24 pm »

I don't identify as a Chaote, but I think I share some of their beliefs.  Basically, I am very impressed by magic: it is such a versatile thing, and can be used in many different ways.  Yes, I believe in something, but I believe in what works.  I tend to think of magic as like oxygen, yes, it can be used to breathe, but what is that breath used for?  Running, sleeping, cooking, working?  I met a chaote at the mall by chance (he called me a sorceress, which made me slightly flattered) and he basically said that chaos magic is what is behind the smokescreen of labels.  Dig behind any magic, and you will find chaos. 
Syncearae
Journeyman
Last Login:October 15, 2012, 12:47:57 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan with Native American beliefs

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: December 05, 2010, 12:30:04 am »

I don't identify as a Chaote, but I think I share some of their beliefs.  Basically, I am very impressed by magic: it is such a versatile thing, and can be used in many different ways.  Yes, I believe in something, but I believe in what works.  I tend to think of magic as like oxygen, yes, it can be used to breathe, but what is that breath used for?  Running, sleeping, cooking, working?  I met a chaote at the mall by chance (he called me a sorceress, which made me slightly flattered) and he basically said that chaos magic is what is behind the smokescreen of labels.  Dig behind any magic, and you will find chaos. 

I also do not claim Chaote. My philosophy on the matter is very simular to Nimue.  I look at magic as one of the many systems to use and manipulate energy. Everything is energy. Dig behind anything and you will find chaos for everyting came out of the void which is nothing that produces something. We can't have something without nothing. Chaos is the firstborn. The first thing to come out of nothing.

Balance that is unbalanced to maintain balance.
Life is what you make yourself (into).

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)