The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2020, 03:52:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 03:52:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wicca books with a little more depth?  (Read 7461 times)
Dannil
Apprentice
Last Login:July 24, 2009, 12:40:01 pm
Sweden Sweden

Religion: Eclectic solitary Wicca (student)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 03, 2008, 05:23:47 pm »

During the last four years that I've had this interest in Wicca, I've read a few beginner books about it. Not nearly as many as I would have wanted to read, however. I began with reading Cunningham's "Guide for the solitary practitioner", and "Living Wicca". I've also read Buckland's "Complete book of Witchcraft", as well as a minor smattering of other books on related subjects such as Tarot, divination, magic and the like.

Those books were all mostly good. They were very interesting. But there was very little depth. Being a scientifically oriented person (I'm a programmer by profession), I need something more... convincing. I mean no offense to anyone, but I'm not going to believe that there are actual deities (God and Goddess) just because Cunningham tells me so. I'm not saying there aren't, I believe that there could very well be, but I want to read something with a little more depth about the subject. I want to read a theoretical discussion on the nature of these deities - are they actual sentient beings, or just symbols of natural archetypes? I guess you could argue that "this can't be proven either way, it's a matter of faith". Fine. But then I need way more information before I decide where to put my faith. Cunningham and Buckland provides very little in this direction.

Also, this thing about magic is very confusing to me, given my "scientific" nature. But things I've read about quantum physics lately, and how little of it science understands, who knows what could be possible? I'm sure there are books that deal with this issue from a neutral point of view as well.

So, given what I've said above, can anyone recommend some books or other resources that might help me along?

-Dannil-

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 03, 2008, 09:08:52 pm »

One of the most in-depth books I've ever read about Wicca is Vivianne Crowley's 'Wicca'. It's more about British Traditional Wicca as opposed to Neo-Wicca, though, so is very different from books such as Cunningham's.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Iago_Morgan
Journeyman
Last Login:October 12, 2010, 12:03:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: Christo-pagan-with added Wiccan flavoring

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 03, 2008, 10:58:58 pm »

During the last four years that I've had this interest in Wicca, I've read a few beginner books about it. Not nearly as many as I would have wanted to read, however. I began with reading Cunningham's "Guide for the solitary practitioner", and "Living Wicca". I've also read Buckland's "Complete book of Witchcraft", as well as a minor smattering of other books on related subjects such as Tarot, divination, magic and the like.

Those books were all mostly good. They were very interesting. But there was very little depth. Being a scientifically oriented person (I'm a programmer by profession), I need something more... convincing. I mean no offense to anyone, but I'm not going to believe that there are actual deities (God and Goddess) just because Cunningham tells me so. I'm not saying there aren't, I believe that there could very well be, but I want to read something with a little more depth about the subject. I want to read a theoretical discussion on the nature of these deities - are they actual sentient beings, or just symbols of natural archetypes? I guess you could argue that "this can't be proven either way, it's a matter of faith". Fine. But then I need way more information before I decide where to put my faith. Cunningham and Buckland provides very little in this direction.

Also, this thing about magic is very confusing to me, given my "scientific" nature. But things I've read about quantum physics lately, and how little of it science understands, who knows what could be possible? I'm sure there are books that deal with this issue from a neutral point of view as well.

So, given what I've said above, can anyone recommend some books or other resources that might help me along?

In reference to your interests in deities, I would recommend reading the specifi mythologies relating to the gods/godesses you are interested in knowing more about.
And go for actual mythologies, rather than some modern expert's paraphrasing of what ancient authors were saying.

That was the best starting point for me, and although I ultimately returned to the Christian pantheon, it was with a renewed understanding that I wouldn't have had without connecting to and working with other deities.

As to the magick aspect, sorry, but I don't have much for that except that I do a spell and it works and that's enough for me.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 11:01:28 pm by Iago_Morgan, Reason: I hit the space bar and for some reason it posted » Logged

Circle in the night
In the dark I cloak myself in Light.
Surrounded by this Power, Magick's might
I see the ancient Fire burning bright.
Circle in the night.

-From 'Circle in the Night' by Iago Morgan
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: September 04, 2008, 12:24:17 am »

I mean no offense to anyone, but I'm not going to believe that there are actual deities (God and Goddess) just because Cunningham tells me so. I'm not saying there aren't, I believe that there could very well be, but I want to read something with a little more depth about the subject. I want to read a theoretical discussion on the nature of these deities - are they actual sentient beings, or just symbols of natural archetypes? I guess you could argue that "this can't be proven either way, it's a matter of faith". Fine. But then I need way more information before I decide where to put my faith. Cunningham and Buckland provides very little in this direction.
<snip>
I'm thinking you should try Ellen Cannon Reed's The Heart of Wicca.  You won't find a lot of heavy theological speculation on the nature of the gods, but you should get an idea of why it is that such speculation is peripheral to the core of Wicca (either Traditional or Eclectic).

This relates really closely to your thread about the inappropriateness of "faith" in describing Wicca - I've some relevant thoughts that I think would be more topical to that thread, that I'll try to post there in the next few days.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 04, 2008, 02:04:28 am »

One problem with what you want.  After the basic beginner stuff, you get into a sort of "every man for himself" sort of thing.  This isn't always the case, but it is in most.  SOme see things one way, while others see things another way.  A lot of it is individual perception, even if you have two people practicing the same religion, in the same group, one could see the gods as archetypes of a certain idea, another could see them as the actual force/idea, and yet another could see them as sentient beings governing that particular area.  Some groups may require that one see certain things the same as the rest of the group, and in Wicca I really can't tell you how much is individual perception and how much is basic dogma, within the religion itself, and within it's various offshoots, and groups.

Best bet, as already mentioned, read up on the mythologies of the various gods, and decide for yourself.  The best way to get any sort of theology, is to actually do what you are doing on this site, talk to people about their specific beliefs.  And, again, decide for yourself.

I'm personally not Wiccan.  I studied it for a while, but some of the beliefs didn't mesh with my own, so I dropped it for the most part.  Every now and then I look at some things, but for the most part, it's not my religion, I have little use for it's teachings other than curiosity. 

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
Laurus
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 04, 2009, 04:51:22 am
Finland Finland

Religion: wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 04, 2008, 03:59:33 am »

I want to read a theoretical discussion on the nature of these deities - are they actual sentient beings, or just symbols of natural archetypes? I guess you could argue that "this can't be proven either way, it's a matter of faith". Fine. But then I need way more information before I decide where to put my faith. Cunningham and Buckland provides very little in this direction.

Try the philosophy of wicca by Amber Laine Fisher. http://www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Wicca-Amber-Laine-Fisher/dp/1550224875

This book is bit Goddess-centered but it didn´t bother me too much.
I´m also new for the subject but I did find this book very interesting and informative. I hope this helps dear Swedish neighbor. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 04:05:15 am by Laurus » Logged
Laurus
Senior Apprentice
Finland Finland

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 04, 2008, 05:07:07 am »

Being a scientifically oriented person (I'm a programmer by profession), I need something more... convincing. I mean no offense to anyone, but I'm not going to believe that there are actual deities (God and Goddess) just because Cunningham tells me so. I'm not saying there aren't, I believe that there could very well be, but I want to read something with a little more depth about the subject. I want to read a theoretical discussion on the nature of these deities - are they actual sentient beings, or just symbols of natural archetypes? I guess you could argue that "this can't be proven either way, it's a matter of faith".

I don´t think there is (or maybe even can be) any absolutely scientific theories that can prove that Deities exist or not. That´s not the nature of the Deities. However if you consider Deity to be immanent then science must be part of it but not the whole of it. So maybe question is what can science tell us about the Deities. And also what are the parts that are still mysteries for science and what does that tells us.

Another good book is Janet and Steward Farrar´s the withes` way. There´s much information on subjects like rationale of witchcraft, reincarnation, ethics, myths, symbols and rituals and many more. Anyway, this might be book you´ve already come across.

Btw. please people don´t be bothered if my language is bad. English is not my native language. :/
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2019, 05:48:46 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: September 04, 2008, 08:05:04 am »

Those books were all mostly good. They were very interesting. But there was very little depth.

You might try A Witches Bible by Janet and Steward Farrar, it's more on Traditional Wicca, but there is quite a lot of depth compared to most books on the market.

Books that try to explain magic via quantum physics are written by those who aren't quantum physicists and generally have only a vague and semi-correct idea of what they are talking about quantum physics-wise.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: September 04, 2008, 08:01:39 pm »

Try the philosophy of wicca by Amber Laine Fisher. http://www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Wicca-Amber-Laine-Fisher/dp/1550224875
I'll note here that one frequent criticism of this book is that, despite the implications of the title, it's just one person's take on the subject - in no way is it a reflection of a universal or even common Wiccan POV.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Laurus
Senior Apprentice
Finland Finland

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 05, 2008, 04:13:06 am »

I'll note here that one frequent criticism of this book is that, despite the implications of the title, it's just one person's take on the subject - in no way is it a reflection of a universal or even common Wiccan POV.

Yes that´s absolutely true. Sorry I forget to mention. Anyhow, even if this book is not the absolute truth my opinion is what comes to wicca there are not so many absolute truths. Why I think this is good book is becouse it chafllenge reader to explore wiccan beliefs from philophy point of views.
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: September 05, 2008, 11:09:56 am »

Being a scientifically oriented person (I'm a programmer by profession), I need something more... convincing. I mean no offense to anyone, but I'm not going to believe that there are actual deities (God and Goddess) just because Cunningham tells me so. I'm not saying there aren't, I believe that there could very well be, but I want to read something with a little more depth about the subject. I want to read a theoretical discussion on the nature of these deities - are they actual sentient beings, or just symbols of natural archetypes? I guess you could argue that "this can't be proven either way, it's a matter of faith". Fine. But then I need way more information before I decide where to put my faith. Cunningham and Buckland provides very little in this direction.

Good topic!

With deities I kind of have a similar problem. I feel that there's something divine about the universe, but I can't put my finger on it. I can't tell if it's just some energy or if there are concrete gods and goddesses. I don't say there aren't, but I have a hard time just believing.

With magic on the other hand I have no trouble believing because I feel energies slightly.

But for either subject I need good explanations, because my brain always demands explanations. Feeling energies move is enough for my heart, but not for my brain.

I enjoy Lipp's Elements of Ritual where she explains why specific steps of ritual are taken the way they are at the time they are. Since I'm coming from qi gong I have a hard time understanding why some people use rituals and tools for energy work. Lipp explains the symbolism a bit (I guess there may be books out which concentrate more on the use of tools). Haven't read the book fully yet. It's not straight about your topics, but I find it has some depht.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Dannil
Apprentice
Last Login:July 24, 2009, 12:40:01 pm
Sweden Sweden

Religion: Eclectic solitary Wicca (student)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: September 06, 2008, 05:40:03 am »

Thanks everyone for your input on this subject. I was especially happy to see Vivianne Crowley's "Wicca" being recommended, because I already have a copy of it. Actually, I have two copies of it because I'm an idiot who doesn't keep track of which books I've already bought. And it gets worse - I got 50 pages into the second copy before I found my first copy, and realised I had already read the first 50 pages in that copy.  Roll Eyes

Anyway, I have two other books on order now as a direct result of suggestions in this thread. Thanks!

-Dannil-
ShadowWalker
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 19, 2009, 11:15:56 pm

Religion: Quantum Universalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: September 07, 2008, 01:01:17 am »

[/quote]

I say continue researching the quantum physics aspect. I've done extensive reading of many books that are writen by quantum physicists and when you step out of the box and look at their findings with respect to pagan beliefs and practices, you will start to see an intricate web of posibilities if not the very scientific validation of our beliefs.
Try "The Science of the Craft" by William Keith. I know he's no a quantum physicist but he explains things very well! Cool
Bones
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 25, 2010, 10:58:01 am
Finland Finland

Religion: agnostic with pagan tendencies

Veritatem cognoscetis et veritas te liberabit.

Blog entries (0)

https://twitter.com/TheDh

Ignore
« Reply #13: September 09, 2008, 02:28:54 pm »

You might try A Witches Bible by Janet and Steward Farrar, it's more on Traditional Wicca, but there is quite a lot of depth compared to most books on the market.

I recommend Witches Bible too. I quite enjoyed the book. I have it comfortably staring at me from my shelf.  Wink

itty
Senior Newbie
Last Login:September 11, 2008, 02:25:01 pm

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: September 10, 2008, 02:23:16 pm »

One of the most in-depth books I've ever read about Wicca is Vivianne Crowley's 'Wicca'. It's more about British Traditional Wicca as opposed to Neo-Wicca, though, so is very different from books such as Cunningham's.

I have Crowley and I refer to it quite frequently. One of the difficulties about getting more in depth information about Wicca is the nature of what information is available. I am an eclectic Wiccan. I don't have access to the oath bound information contained in the older lineaged traditions. That is an issue for all of us who are not, I think. What has come to us is bare bones, in my estimation. I think much of what is written today touches the same themes with different perspectives. With that said I will tell you what books I think are useful.

I agree with people here about the Farrars. I would also recommend Valiente's works. I like Ed Fitch. I also have several books by Kaatryn MacMorgan. She has several books out that do deal with more in depth subjects about Wicca as a religion. With the subject of magick I have a couple of books by Craig. I also have some older books by Levi and A. Crowley. Sorry can't spell the first name right now. While they are not Wiccan I also recommend Dion Fortune. If you want a good treatment of the history of Wicca then pick up Triumph of the Moon by Ronald Hutton. He also has written several other books one of which is, I believe, Witches, Druids and King Arthur. I am thinking that is the title but am away from my library and can't say that I have the title correct. You can look at amazon and type in his name and get a complete list.

Many of the books and authors I just listed are not precisely Wiccan. They do, I think, present a pretty fair list that touches on Pagan practices and there are, in my estimation, much information that a Wiccan can use.

I also echo the thought that as far as the gods are concerned it is best to read mythology. If you want something other then try Joesph Campbell's works. He wrote extensively on Pagan myth and symbology. One book that I use in a mythological way is The White Goddess. It's dry and hard going but is a romantic, poetic treatment of myth. I consider it to be myth. Others don't.

Okay I've gone on long enough here. I hope this helps you to expand your reading. My recommendations aren't completely Wiccan but I think anyone who reads them will help themselves to a greater understanding of the religion.

I think over again my small adventures.
My fears,
Those small ones that seemed so big.
For all the vital things,
I had to get and reach.
And yet there is only one great thing,
The only thing.
To live to see the great day that dawns,
And the light that fills the world.
[i[Old inuit song[/i]

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)