The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 23, 2019, 10:29:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2019, 10:29:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Summoning a Ghost...  (Read 4348 times)
Jericho Gray
Senior Newbie
Last Login:September 14, 2008, 07:57:02 pm
United States United States

Religion: Green Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 06, 2008, 01:14:30 am »

Would summoning a ghost to haunt my house bring me bad karma? My house used to be haunted, but for some reason whatever spirit was haunting it decided to leave. I'd kind of like to have a haunted house again.

I can figure out how to do the ritual on my own, I'm sure. But I'd like some opinions on the karma issue.

You think, but you're not plywood. -Happy Noodle Boy

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 06, 2008, 01:28:41 am »

Would summoning a ghost to haunt my house bring me bad karma? My house used to be haunted, but for some reason whatever spirit was haunting it decided to leave. I'd kind of like to have a haunted house again.

I can figure out how to do the ritual on my own, I'm sure. But I'd like some opinions on the karma issue.

I speak as someone who has never attempted a summoning (or any ritual, really), but I see several key factors in this:

1.  Where is the ghost being summoned from?  Summoning usually implies to me that you are drawing someone/thing to you, even though that's not where they naturally want to be.  If you draw a ghost into your house, even though it doesn't want to be there, I would say that, if you believe in karma, you're inviting some bad karma.
2.  Why is the ghost being summoned?  In your case, it's because you want a haunted house, so I'd say your motive itself MIGHT not give you any bad karma (more on that in the next point).  If you were summoning a ghost to haunt someone else's house (i.e., out of malice), bad karma would likely be involved.
3.  How is the ghost being kept?  Is the summoning basically binding the ghost to your house?  Ghosts are typically supposed to haunt places that held significance for them, although I guess it's possible there are a few who just stick around because they want to.  Would your ritual prevent the ghost from leaving if it decided to "move on"?  If so, I would say you would be inviting bad karma, since such a thing would keep the ghost prisoner to your own whims.

Again, having never tried a ritual myself, you may want to make your ritual more like an "invitation" than a summoning.  Do something to make your home inviting to ghosts, but don't force a ghost to come to your home. 

Basically, if you believe in karma, forcing a ghost to do something is probably going to be bad for it.  If you don't believe in karma, go wild Smiley.

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Jericho Gray
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 06, 2008, 01:34:53 am »

Again, having never tried a ritual myself, you may want to make your ritual more like an "invitation" than a summoning.  Do something to make your home inviting to ghosts, but don't force a ghost to come to your home. 

Ah yeah. Good point. Inviting would be MUCH more polite. In fact, thats how my house originally got haunted. I would go for walks around my house and ask ghosts to follow me home. I didn't SEE ghosts, mind you. I would just look around the woods and say, "If any ghosts are around, feel free to come back to my house!"

wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 06, 2008, 02:15:43 am »

Well, I'm not much of a believer in Karma, however, I do believe that would be a bit of trouble.  Even an invitation for a spirit to come would be a bad idea, IMHO, unless it was a specific spirit which you know would wish no ill will toward you or your family.  And even then, why deny a spirit of its "afterlife" (in whatever form it takes, including rebirth/reincarnation), or even ask this of a spirit?

And as for your reasons, why not just try to find out what spirits are there, rather than trying to bring more in?  "Visible" hauntings aren't the only ones there are.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:February 29, 2016, 11:06:03 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: September 06, 2008, 06:03:39 am »

Assuming ghosts have some kind of sentient existence, that project sounds both cruel and stupid.  Why on earth should some poor spirit be forced to entertain you?  Would you force a living human being to take up residence in your house and make them perform for you?  If not, what makes you think it would be okay to do it to a spirit?  Ethics aside, if I were a ghost, and someone attempted to drag me into their house, I'd be furious and start throwing crockery at their head, at the very least. 

And if you manage to find one who actually wants to move in -- yeah, good luck with that -- how will you know that it's harmless?  The folklore about ghosts consistently indicates that they stick to places that have some meaningful connection to them, whatever that connection is.  If something is capable of moving outside of a particular location, it probably is not a ghost, but something else, likely more powerful -- and do you really want to be screwing around with unknown entities just so you can brag about your cool haunted house?  I'd really wonder about some entity that could a) move about freely, and b) apparently had nothing better to with its time then follow my sorry ass home; what else could it do, what else would it want, and why was it willing to go with me? 

To answer your question, it strikes me as seriously bad "karma" to go around demanding that random spirits follow you home and dance for your entertainment.  And depending on the spirit's temperament, that bad karma could very well be the "instant" kind.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 17, 2019, 11:13:29 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: September 06, 2008, 08:11:43 am »

You could summon a ghost, but unless you bound it to the house it would probably just leave. (When your boss summons you to his office, do you move in?)  Ghost haunt places they were associated with, not random buildings after all.  While summoning a ghost would not necessarily be a evil thing to do, binding one to your house against its will would definitely be a nasty thing to do. (How would you like your boss to make stay at work 24/7?)

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 06, 2008, 08:53:59 pm »

Remember ghosts are/were people. I doubt that you would walk down the street inviting strangers you pass to follow you home.  If you wouldn't do it to the living, you shouldn't do it with the dead. Now, if you have a love one who has passed feel free to ask them to stop by now and again to say hello. There is nothing wrong with that. To my way of thinking though, they would qualify more as spirits than ghosts.

From my experience spirits are those who have passed on and are not still bound to this earth. They are free to come and go.  Ghosts however, more often than not, have a reason for hanging around, sometimes not so pleasant reasons. They have not fully made the transition into death. Hence, they can be noisy, irritating, unpleasant, and downright scary.   Others may not agree, but that is what I have encountered.

I think you are missing your resident ghost and it sounds to me like you want to find a replacement ghost. This isn't the same as having a pet run off. You can't go to the abandoned ghost shelter and pick out a new one. Instead of mourning your loss, be happy that your ghost has finally moved on, it most likely means they have resolved their issues and are finally at peace. You can invite this ghost back again, this time as a spirit. It was probably your positive energy in the house that finally made the difference to this beings spirit.  It is kind of like having a child that has grown and left, but that is a good thing.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: September 06, 2008, 11:46:05 pm »

I don't believe in karma, but I think that doing this is a very stupid idea.

Let's say I were a ghost trying to work through some issues and someone (that I don't even know) summons me to his/her house (that I've never stepped foot in), binds me to their property just so I will put on a show for them and their friends.  Well, I would put on a show.

Act One would be me throwing anything that looks valuable across the room.  If something has any sort of sentimental value or is otherwise irreplaceable, I would doubly make sure that that gets destroyed.

Act Two would involve me inviting over some not so nice friends for a little party.  And by 'party' I mean 'getting help destroying everything else, throwing potentially deadly objects at the idiot summoner and running up the phone bill due to prank calls to the other side.'

Act Three would involve the children (if there are any around).  I would make sure that they will spend every night in mommy and daddy's bed and even then unable to sleep.  It's not that I would physically hurt them, just traumatize them for life.  And if the summoner is still to thick to get the hint, I will haunt the children until they commit suicide and get THEM to tell the offending parent.

This may seem a bit harsh, but I know I'm not a nice person when I'm alive, so why should I be any different after I'm dead?  And this is the point I'm trying to get across: Not every ghost is going to be a Casper.  Just as there are bad living people, there are also bad dead ones.  If you summon a random ghost, you never know what you will get.

The same applies to inviting random ghosts.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 06, 2008, 11:49:40 pm »

You can't go to the abandoned ghost shelter and pick out a new one.

I am SO glad there were no liquids in my mouth when I read that. 

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
zyphre
Last Login:February 09, 2009, 08:56:44 am

Religion: Reclaiming and Feri

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 07, 2008, 12:35:26 am »

My house used to be haunted, but for some reason whatever spirit was haunting it decided to leave. I'd kind of like to have a haunted house again.

You may want to look to your ancestors.  You could set up a small altar to invite to your home those ancestors who would look out for you and your family.  I would doubt that an invitation to your loved ones who have passed on would harm your karma.  Good luck.
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: September 07, 2008, 09:47:24 am »

Cheesy
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: September 07, 2008, 10:17:03 am »

Same here Cheesy

And I will take this time to thank Nile Lily for that wonderful plot-bunny she gave me.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: September 07, 2008, 10:46:24 am »

Same here Cheesy

And I will take this time to thank Nile Lily for that wonderful plot-bunny she gave me.

You're welcome!
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: September 07, 2008, 02:58:30 pm »

Same here Cheesy

Oh gads.  One of these days I'm really going to have to read some of your stuff, especially if you are going to include something like that...

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
Jericho Gray
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: September 07, 2008, 03:18:28 pm »

You may want to look to your ancestors.  You could set up a small altar to invite to your home those ancestors who would look out for you and your family.  I would doubt that an invitation to your loved ones who have passed on would harm your karma.  Good luck.

Ah, also a good idea. And thanks to everyone else too, for their opinions. ^.^ Appreciated.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)