The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2020, 04:07:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 04:07:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How to learn working with energy?  (Read 11133 times)
Dannil
Apprentice
Last Login:July 24, 2009, 12:40:01 pm
Sweden Sweden

Religion: Eclectic solitary Wicca (student)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 06, 2008, 05:53:53 am »

When I read about Wicca and spiritualism in general, I often come across the notion of "energy", and how you're supposed to be able to work with it an feel it. You sometimes read thins like "walk around the room, feeling where the energy is strongest". Well, I don't feel a damn thing. I fear I may be utterly untalented in this field.

How do I go about improving my non-existent abilities with energy work? Are there books I should read, or web sites, or perhaps even some simple exercises I could do? Or should I just go back to being a mundane computer programmer where I do have talent? Smiley

-Dannil-

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 06, 2008, 09:15:05 am »

How do I go about improving my non-existent abilities with energy work? Are there books I should read, or web sites, or perhaps even some simple exercises I could do? Or should I just go back to being a mundane computer programmer where I do have talent? Smiley

First thing about energy: there are different ways of sensing it. Some people see it. Some people feel it (tactile sensation, pressure, or temperature shifts). Some people (hi!) hear it best. Some people just intuitively know it.

This seems to map in my experience (unsuprisingly, really) to people's preferred learning mode. If you're interested in this, the variant I've found most useful myself is the multiple intelligences approach pioneered by Howard Gardner. (I don't agree with all his conclusions, but I like his breakdown of the different modes a lot.)

Second thing: it's far easier to learn this stuff by working with someone, or at least being around events where energy is worked with - public rituals, etc. I don't know what your options are in Sweden for this, but it'd be worth exploring. Some kinds of martial arts training discuss these concepts quite early, as do some kinds of performing arts work, especially improvisational forms (you'll have to do some translation into
ritual work, but you can get valuable practice experience that way.)

Note that the 'someone' doesn't need to be trained in this stuff either - they just need to be willing to work through some exercises with you, and give you feedback.

That said, some thoughts:

1) Yes, there are books - but books plus practice will help a lot more. One of the books I'd suggest starting with is _Twelve Wild Swans_ by Starhawk and Hilary Valentine: the beginning path they describe in there has *tons* of exercises (and they're well-described, and designed to work for most kinds of learning styles.) This is the most ritual-action focused option.

2) Another way to do  things is to pay attention. Take a trip to a museum, and wander, and see what you're most attracted to (this is often an energy-sensing concept.) Stand in a library, and hold a general desire in your mind (like "I'd like something that will expand how I view the world in a way I need right now") and then follow any 'tugs' you might feel to a particular set of shelves and to a specific book.

This both helps you hone the skill - but even more importantly, you're telling your subconscious mind that you care about this kind of information, and are willing to pay attention to it. If you do that regularly, you'll likely start becoming more aware of these kinds of inputs naturally.

3) Pay attention when you're interacting with groups of people (or go find a cafe and watch people go by for a while.) Do people look lovingly towards their partner? Is there tension? Etc.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Ridley Craft
Apprentice
Last Login:September 15, 2008, 12:50:23 am

Religion: Probabalistic Sorcerer

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 07, 2008, 02:23:49 am »

When I read about Wicca and spiritualism in general, I often come across the notion of "energy", and how you're supposed to be able to work with it an feel it. You sometimes read thins like "walk around the room, feeling where the energy is strongest". Well, I don't feel a damn thing. I fear I may be utterly untalented in this field.

I have always felt energy; I have never used it for anything other then casting auras though and only when I have no other options. I devised a ritual where in I would teach others how to sense the forces we can project through our hands. Both people sit cross legged facing each other. Both people raise their hands open palmed chest high so that each person’s hands have about an inch of distance between them. I tell the person to push without using their hands, I let them know that the right hand pushes and the left hand pulls. I then instruct them that I will project a ball of force which will travel down their right arm and then return up their left arm and back into me, then repeat this for a number of rotations. The exercise takes about five minutes, the participants always become surprised by the sensations they feel, energy feels very cold. The last person I did this exercise with couldn’t speak after word, it blew his mind. This exercise definitely has a lot of possibility for experiencing telepathy as well. Its great for building rapport with another person.
A fellow magician friend of mine and I did this exercise at a party many years ago, one of our friends shrieked and startled us out of the ritual, she told us that she saw me turn into my friend and it scared her, I have had many great results with energy but I have never found a practical everyday use for it. Martial artist use it to make their blows more lethal and some use it to influence others, they project it with their hands, on the breathe, or even from the eyes. 

I find it easier to pull the wool over a blind mans eyes, then it is to teach a sheep to think for itself.
Laurus
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 04, 2009, 04:51:22 am
Finland Finland

Religion: wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 07, 2008, 04:27:59 am »

I donīt think Iīm qualified to be a teacher but hereīs some notions that might help you.
I think that energyworking is something that is natural for humanbeing and it doesnīt require any special talents but will to learn.
You mentioned in other topic that you have scientific approach on world around us? Both spiritualists and scientist both know that everything vibrates and everything is in fact energy, whether we can or can not see it. Knowing this fact might make the whole subject easier to approach.
  Then to the energyworking itself. Thought is what directs energy. Energy flows according your will and thought. Energy attracts energy and your thoughts are energy so you can direct and form energy by will. Anyhow this needs practicing. First of all you need practice for the control of your own mind in order to use it working, forming and directing energy effectively. There are many methods to learn to control your own mind like meditation and other forms of deep concentrating and focusin.
  Then thereīs this not so scientific method which is central for the craft and should be trained in order to do this working effectively. Thatīs visualizion. You should train your imagination to see things that canīt be seen by mundane eyes but arenīt invisible for our spiritual eyes. And if this sound odd for scientictic nature of yours, remember that your thoughts are energy and they attract energy so when you imagine something thatīs in fact forming and directing energy according to your will.

I donīt remember any books for now īcause I use my own practices and some which I have learn from my friends and from other oral sources. If you want I can write some down and translate to english if you canīt find other sources.

Jenett
High Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 07, 2008, 10:28:16 am »

My covenmate and I were talking about learning energy work yesterday (as part of a "Where do we start teaching this and with what" discussion)

She pointed out that everyone feels energy: you walk into a room just after people have been fighting? You notice, and that's energy. You walk into someone's home who takes a lot of pride in making their home a welcoming and comfortable place. You notice. You immediately feel comfortable (or uncomfortable) with someone you've just met. That's energy.

The trick is that many of us are trained and told to ignore this, or not to take it seriously. Which means that when we want to start paying attention to it, we have to do some work to start noticing again. (And then, of course, some work to make use of that in the particular methods used for magical or ritual purposes.)

It's sort of like singing. Most people (assuming they're not truly tone deaf or have some physical issue preventing it) can sing - maybe not well enough to become a professional musician, but enough to have fun with it. But a lot of people, unfortunately, are taught they're not very good singers, when really, what's going on is that they haven't had enough ways to become better singers, or to learn stuff that best suits both their voice and the way they learn.

sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 07, 2008, 03:46:01 pm »

I once had a very interesting lesson on energy work in my karate class, of all places; it was a class of ki exercises. Usually I have trouble sensing anything but my own energy, but I could definitely tell when my partner and I got the hang of moving ki back and forth (and at the end of the evening I had all of his fatigue energy and he was feeling fine  Tongue). So trying martial arts might be one way to learn a few things.
ShadowWalker
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 19, 2009, 11:15:56 pm

Religion: Quantum Universalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 07, 2008, 04:35:43 pm »

I hear energy and feel it in a tactile manner. Not so much putting my hands on things in a psychometry sort of manner, but more feeling it in the air around me. ( I wish I could see it, that would be awsome and make things alot more easy.) Sometimes I can walk into an area not expecting anything and snap out of the middle of a conversation and say "What the hell is that!?!" ( Much to the suprise and confusion of those around me.), and sometimes I'm so distracted that things get right past me and I ask myself "Why didn't I see that one comming?" I think that you can blind yourself to it and I do think that its a natural thing that anyone can do. I believe the trick is in not trying to force concentrate on making it happen but to let go and let it flow into you. It took me awhile to get good at it but I'm suprised at what all and where all I can pick things up. I'm excited about where I can eventually go with this. Don't give up on it! I have faith in you that you can accomplish this! Smiley Smiley Smiley
Laurus
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 04, 2009, 04:51:22 am
Finland Finland

Religion: wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 07, 2008, 06:01:11 pm »

( I wish I could see it, that would be awsome and make things alot more easy.)

Seeing energy wonīt nesseserily make things easier. I have seen energies since I was a child and IMO itīs easier to close up the ability in normal life. It is very annoying to try to for ex. have a normal conversation with other people seeing energies flowing around. Sometimes I see that people are looking me like I am insane when my mind start to drift with those energies. It is quite useful to teach your mind that it has itīs own mode where to concentrate on the energies and other times it should stay focusing in normal things. So when working energy or rituals I have a totally different state of mind in use. And I could also point out that actually seeing them doesnīt make me sure at all that I do understand them somehow better than someone who doesnīt. I think feeling or hearing or sensing them is as good way as seeing.
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: September 07, 2008, 06:02:19 pm »

Some kinds of martial arts training discuss these concepts quite early, as do some kinds of performing arts work, especially improvisational forms (you'll have to do some translation into
ritual work, but you can get valuable practice experience that way.)

I don't know how it would be for someone who isn't familiar with energy stuff, but I found that tai chi made it very easy to feel, almost automatic.  And that's without getting into the occasional lessons about chi flow.

Jenett
High Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 07, 2008, 07:20:33 pm »

I don't know how it would be for someone who isn't familiar with energy stuff, but I found that tai chi made it very easy to feel, almost automatic.  And that's without getting into the occasional lessons about chi flow.

Quite.

I've had moments when horseback riding, swimming, and dancing when it was much easier to sense, too. (In all cases, it eneds to be slightly more focused than "I'm playing around with this for 20 minutes for fun - but either doing it regularly for a little or doing it in a somewhat structured way will help demonstrate similar patterns, in my experience.

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: September 07, 2008, 08:59:13 pm »

I've had moments when horseback riding, swimming, and dancing when it was much easier to sense, too. (In all cases, it eneds to be slightly more focused than "I'm playing around with this for 20 minutes for fun - but either doing it regularly for a little or doing it in a somewhat structured way will help demonstrate similar patterns, in my experience.

I think one of the avantages of tai chi for this is the way I've heard it explained.

"Hold the ball" is one of the basic positions that the teacher describes.  And if one's conceptualising the position as 'hold the ball', it's not much of a mental stretch to feel how the ball flexes and reshapes to the motions.

pkom
Senior Newbie
Last Login:September 28, 2008, 07:23:20 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Atheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: September 07, 2008, 09:11:25 pm »

3) Pay attention when you're interacting with groups of people (or go find a cafe and watch people go by for a while.) Do people look lovingly towards their partner? Is there tension? Etc.
Surprisingly I, as an atheist, am quite interested in energy work.  I don't believe in the existence of an external "energy" outside of the body. For example, I don't believe that there are mystical powers and creatures outside of my own perception.  Instead, if I interact with "energy" it is really a kind of mystical experience conjured up by my own mind.  Perhaps then this is why I have not ever experienced "energy," nor do I really know what energy is.  The closest to it I have gotten has been through experimenting with Chi Kung.

The reason I use Jenett's third point here is to illustrate my own point.  I believe that what Jenett is discussing here is in fact intuition.  There is nothing wrong with believing however that you are sensing a kind of external force.  Indeed it may be beneficial to believe you are.  The most prominent example of a benefit that comes to mind is that believing in it makes life more interesting.
pkom
Senior Newbie
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: September 07, 2008, 09:23:36 pm »

Both spiritualists and scientist both know that everything vibrates and everything is in fact energy, whether we can or can not see it. Knowing this fact might make the whole subject easier to approach.
I hate to sound arrogant here (I am after all a newb when it comes to any form of non-christian spirituality) but I find the invocation of science in spiritual writing to be irresponsible at best and downright humiliating at worst.  Before you start flaming me please hear me out Smiley.

I would like to advance a theory.  Science is invoked in spiritual writing in order to respond to an implicit assumption, that in order for something to be taken seriously it must be scientifically verifiable.  Unfortunately there are a good number of things in everyday life that are not scientifically verifiable.  For example, if I tell you that I am madly in love with my partner and that I find him astronomically attractive you can only verify scienfitically that I am exhibiting certain physiological reactions to my lover that have been observed in other couples.  What you cannot verify scientifically is the existence, much less the legitimacy, of the profound passion I feel when I am around my partner. 

Am I saying then that love has a metaphysical component?  No.  What I am suggesting is that science is very bad at analyzing subjective experience.  So what do we do?  Well, we build up other frameworks that specialize in subjective experience.  I believe that "energy work" falls under the category of such a framework.  And so, in this thread, I hope to explore the truth or lack thereof of my belief about the solely subjective nature of energy work.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2019, 05:48:46 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: September 07, 2008, 09:26:47 pm »

The reason I use Jenett's third point here is to illustrate my own point.  I believe that what Jenett is discussing here is in fact intuition. 

I'm not sure that this is really helpful as I don't think we really know how intuition works. Smiley

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
pkom
Senior Newbie
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: September 07, 2008, 09:58:27 pm »

I'm not sure that this is really helpful as I don't think we really know how intuition works. Smiley
Indeed, I haven't heard of anyone explaining how intuition actually works, but I suspect that intuition is something accepted by a greater number of psychologists than the number of psychologists that accept the existence of "energy".  Of course I'm humbly advancing my ideas here without much evidence to back them up. 

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)