The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2020, 05:03:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 05:03:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What do you want from your God(s)?  (Read 4081 times)
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 12, 2008, 09:25:59 pm »

There are many characteristics that are attributed to the Gods. Often a God or a Goddess is said to be a God of Love, of War, of Poetry, of Healing. The list is endless.

The novel that I am currently reading, Avalon by Anya Seton, is set in England in approx. 900 CE and it has gotten me thinking about what it is that people actually want from a God. For instance, one character who is a Norseman and has lived in (mostly) Christian southern England has become frustrated with the worship of a God in a religion that is, to quote, "fit only for silly women and puling monks." He goes on to say that he now worships "Thor- The Thunderer." Evidently it is a God of stregth and power that he wishes to worship, and this is shown by his transformation from a manservant, to a warrior.

Consequently this shows that he wishes to worship a God which he relates to. In one respect, he has chosen his God in image of himself. Is this something that many of us are guilty of, do you think?

What is it that you want from your God(s)? Is there any particular quality that, for you, is important for a God to have?

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 12, 2008, 11:41:21 pm »

What is it that you want from your God(s)? Is there any particular quality that, for you, is important for a God to have?

No, not particularly. It depends what I am going through or trying to accomplish at the time. (Which is what is so nice about Paganism, so many to choose from  Smiley )

Sometimes of course, it is not so much what I want from them, but what they want from me.
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 13, 2008, 01:28:07 am »

There are many characteristics that are attributed to the Gods. Often a God or a Goddess is said to be a God of Love, of War, of Poetry, of Healing. The list is endless.

The novel that I am currently reading, Avalon by Anya Seton, is set in England in approx. 900 CE and it has gotten me thinking about what it is that people actually want from a God. For instance, one character who is a Norseman and has lived in (mostly) Christian southern England has become frustrated with the worship of a God in a religion that is, to quote, "fit only for silly women and puling monks." He goes on to say that he now worships "Thor- The Thunderer." Evidently it is a God of stregth and power that he wishes to worship, and this is shown by his transformation from a manservant, to a warrior.

Consequently this shows that he wishes to worship a God which he relates to. In one respect, he has chosen his God in image of himself. Is this something that many of us are guilty of, do you think?

I want my gods to have character, for lack of a better word.  I don't know how to explain, but I'll try...

I want them to have a personality above and beyond what I could imagine for them.  I want them to be individuals, even if they share some characteristics with another god (for example, Athena and Ares both have warlike aspects, but they are not the same either in respect to their warlike aspects, or their personalities...)

Above all though, I want them to meddle as little as possible in my life.  I don't like asking for help, not even from a deity, it feels as though the accomplishment is lessened, if a god had to step in and lend a hand...  That said, I appreciate the gifts they gave me, and do accept that they will be looking in from time to time, to make sure I am using them wisely... or at least appropriately.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
Neriandal Freit
Master Member
Last Login:May 22, 2011, 10:34:22 am

Religion: Pagan

Dancing under the moonlit stars

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 13, 2008, 07:34:55 pm »

I don't even like the idea of using a god as in terms of "magical tool" as I fear some of us these days do.

When I do talk aloud (and I'm trying to again every night like I did prior to moving out almost two years ago...) I tell them what I am seeking. To guide me on the right path, but never to hand it to me (which is the "magical tool" term I'm speaking of) as some try and do.

For whatever reason has been deemed I'm filled with the "Three H's" of my life. Hanuman, Hecate and Horus (all in due order of appearance). I don't understand it, but I speak to each of them. The only one who has made the most noteable and often answers (the "let me know your still there") is Hecate several times.

I seek nothing from her but watching over me. I seek to serve yes, but I seek to live life for my self. If she wants something from me, it's the very least I can do in return for all the wonders each of them have brough me in the past six months.

But, I also attribute that to all the gods as I was in quiet the pickle and did a truely selfless act for a year. For that, I am eternally grateful.  Kiss
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 13, 2008, 09:39:29 pm »

Above all though, I want them to meddle as little as possible in my life. 

I'll quote this, since I'm sure the first thing that I thought is against the CoC.  Cheesy

I like to know that they are there watching over me, but I'm also over the amount of crap that has been piled on me the last 5 months or so. *Shrug* Guess that's what I get for having a chaos deity hanging around me. Since I prefer order, and knowing exactly what I need to do, and when to do it, seems that someone decided that wasn't good for me, lol. *Sigh* Roll Eyes

To me, it's more of what they want from me, which Nile Lily already stated, I'll do my best to do as they wish.

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 13, 2008, 10:47:58 pm »

You know, I keep thinking about this since this thread went up; and I have tried to puzzle it out before. I think the answer is 'nothing'. I am a materialist and have rationalised what I believe the gods to materially be and so find it hard to think in terms of what I need them to be. It's always in terms of what I think they are.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 14, 2008, 04:26:45 pm »

Sometimes of course, it is not so much what I want from them, but what they want from me.

That's true, and I feel the same way.

To perhaps word my question differently for you all: is there any quality that you respond to best in a God? For instance, if a God asked you for something, or tried to offer help in something, how would you like them to approach you? With harsh words to kick you into shape? In a comforting, soothing way? Or doesn't it matter in the slightest?

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 14, 2008, 05:26:46 pm »

I want to know that when I lay down at night I'm not really alone.
Valkyriia
Journeyman
Last Login:August 13, 2011, 08:54:09 pm

Religion: solitary Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 24, 2008, 05:16:07 pm »

I agree with Nile_Lily.

Personally, I'd like to know that they are there for me when I need them.

leigh137
Journeyman
Last Login:February 05, 2009, 03:07:55 pm

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 25, 2008, 08:08:59 am »

Above all though, I want them to meddle as little as possible in my life. 
Is it terrible that this is what I want from my Gods as well most of the time. I love my Gods, I really do, but They do ask lot sometimes, and it's hard. Most of teh time what I want matters little to Them, it's what They want that I'm dealing with.

"You must have faith... That the universe will unfold as it should."
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: September 26, 2008, 02:01:03 am »

Is it terrible that this is what I want from my Gods as well most of the time. I love my Gods, I really do, but They do ask lot sometimes, and it's hard. Most of teh time what I want matters little to Them, it's what They want that I'm dealing with.

That's not so much what I meant, but that's something of it too, I guess.  My thing is, I want to be able to do things without their help.  I was and basically still am one of those indepent little cusses that don't want help.  (You know the little kid that is struggling with something.  Mommy goes to help them, and they scream, "No, I wanna do it myself."  That's me.)

I still get cheesed when guys think I need their help lifting things.  Although I think most of them in my new department have been warned about that by one of my friends who transferred a couple of weeks before me.  Thank the gods.

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
leigh137
Journeyman
Last Login:February 05, 2009, 03:07:55 pm

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: September 26, 2008, 08:47:36 am »

(You know the little kid that is struggling with something.  Mommy goes to help them, and they scream, "No, I wanna do it myself."  That's me.)

Heh, you're my daughter then. OK, I've got you.
I am an independant type person also (just ask any of my many ex's, I'm sure they'd all agree), which is why I rarely ask my Gods for anything. However, if They ask me for something I will do it. Sometimes it's a fight, but it does happen. I got lucky and found Gods that don't mind me asking "why," every time they talk to me!  Grin

"You must have faith... That the universe will unfold as it should."
rebelleink
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 25, 2009, 02:00:53 am

Religion: earthy

My path is dirt. And I walk barefoot.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: September 26, 2008, 09:03:24 am »

I wouldn't say 'guilty of'. To me the point is that we find gods who we can relate to in some fashion. The energy of the universe is faceless and thru the gods, we find ways to relate to it more personally.

What I want from my gods and what they want from me seems to depend on the day. Most days, it's seems like Artemis and I arguing about something. She wins.
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: September 26, 2008, 12:23:10 pm »

I donít want to be ordered to do something. This probably stems from the fact that Iím very dependant which probably stems from the fact that I canít seem to get away from my family. Iíd prefer a confidant to confidant relationship. Rather because I donít think friend to friend really works and I donít want a Deity to worshiper relationship. Or rather, I donít want to feel like I am below any deity or less worthy. Thou art Goddess and all that.  I want to know I have someone at my back when I need it and someone to be stern and frank when Iím being dumb. I donít have a lot of people in my life who know the real me, not the outward shell. So, I want my deity to have the ability to see what I am hiding and call me out on it. In essence, I want my gods to be gods and force the silly little human to grow in ways she never imagined.

I reached out for Hacate in the beginning because she was the obvious choice for my focus on witchcraft. I stayed with Hacate because I found her to be a no nonsense kind of deity, demanding in the ways I needed to keep myself going forward. I want to be different tomorrow from the way I am today...

dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #14: October 09, 2008, 08:50:50 pm »

I agree to serve my Gods with the agreement that they have my back when I need it. Which may not mean helping me win the lottery if I'm in need of cash... but when I pray for help and guidance, I want them there to listen and help. Those are my boons.

It's important to me that they be flexible. I'm willing to serve, and give offerings as needed, but they need to realize that I do have mundane responsibilities as well. I can't blow off work whenever Brigit whispers that it's a beautiful day to be outside writing or tending the garden. I need my job to pay the bills and keep the roof over our heads.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.