The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 30, 2020, 03:07:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 30, 2020, 03:07:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Arms of NGC 4258  (Read 2829 times)
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 11, 2007, 08:41:31 pm »

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070411.html

Can someone help me wrap my brain around this?

What is causing the blue arms/spirals?  The article mentions shock waves - from WHAT?  That is trillions of megatons!

And why don't the regular arms show this phenomena?

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 11, 2007, 08:47:57 pm »

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070411.html

Can someone help me wrap my brain around this?

What is causing the blue arms/spirals?  The article mentions shock waves - from WHAT?  That is trillions of megatons!

I'm no astrophysicist, but I notice that at the end of the paragraph the writer mentions "powerful jets originating in the galaxy's core" that he says  "likely drive the shocks into the disk". That's about all I have for ya, sorry...

Jets of gasses? Maybe?

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: April 11, 2007, 09:22:31 pm »

What is causing the blue arms/spirals? 

The blue is likely a "false color" (a color added in processing) as the blue and purle "arms" are said to be in visible only in radio and X-ray.

The article mentions shock waves - from WHAT?  That is trillions of megatons!

The article styates there are powerful jets of gas coming out of the core (probably caused by a supermassive black hole absorbing a lot in incoming material -- my guess). These could easily produce the shock waves mentioned. And yes, that is a Lot of energy. But remember out little star, the Sun, puts out the equivalent of about million megatons of energy every second and a solar flare can can put out over billion megatons of energy in a minute or two.

The jets (and shock waves they cause) are directional.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 12, 2007, 07:07:13 am »

The jets (and shock waves they cause) are directional.

Ah-ha!  That's what was tripping me up, I was assuming they would be omnidirectional.  Thank you!  Smiley

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: April 12, 2007, 08:19:10 am »

Ah-ha!  That's what was tripping me up, I was assuming they would be omnidirectional.  Thank you!  Smiley

Here's an example of just how directional these jets generally are. The galaxy in this image is an elliptical galaxy (instead of a spiral, so no arms), but the directional nature of the jet is clear.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap000706.html

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Phoenix
Adept Member
Last Login:June 14, 2011, 05:51:50 am

Religion: Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 13, 2007, 11:01:43 pm »

What is causing the blue arms/spirals? 
I think I'm going to agree with Randall on the black hole

And I suspect the curved spiral arms occur because the black hole is slowly spinning (or at least wobbling) perpendicular to it plane of rotation (notice how the outer-most arms are perturbed where the jets have crossed the galactic plane) ... Now wrap your brain around that one  Huh

I would have thought the gyro-effect of the spinning disc would have prevented that from happening, but there's the evidence. The only thing I can think of is that an instability in the accretion disc might cause the whole system to wobble

That is trillions of megatons!
Small potatoes for a black hole in a feeding frenzy

The do appear to have been affected

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 14, 2007, 08:07:11 am »

And I suspect the curved spiral arms occur because the black hole is slowly spinning (or at least wobbling) perpendicular to it plane of rotation (notice how the outer-most arms are perturbed where the jets have crossed the galactic plane) ... Now wrap your brain around that one  Huh

Actually, I can!  Grin  Once I figured out (years ago) that the jets come off the poles, it all came together.

I would have thought the gyro-effect of the spinning disc would have prevented that from happening, but there's the evidence. The only thing I can think of is that an instability in the accretion disc might cause the whole system to wobble

Maybe the thing isn't centered?  Or is close to a nebula?  Or perhaps was part of a binary system and the partner is still there?

Phoenix
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 14, 2007, 01:14:06 pm »

Or perhaps was part of a binary system and the partner is still there?
It would take something pretty massive to disturb a supermassive black hole, but a second black hole, orbiting it, might do it

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan
Phoenix
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 16, 2007, 04:40:38 pm »

Galaxy's Ghostly Arms Finally Explained

Scientists have discovered the source of a galaxy's two extra, ghostly spiral arms that show up only in some telescope images, cracking a 45-year-old mystery.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070416_mm_ghostly_arms.html

- Ronald Reagan
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 16, 2007, 06:15:05 pm »

Galaxy's Ghostly Arms Finally Explained

Scientists have discovered the source of a galaxy's two extra, ghostly spiral arms that show up only in some telescope images, cracking a 45-year-old mystery.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070416_mm_ghostly_arms.html

Very cool.  Thanks!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)