The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 18, 2021, 10:29:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2021, 10:29:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Near Death Experiences  (Read 7100 times)
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 13, 2008, 10:14:37 am »

A new explanation for near death experiences:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26675999/

In this case it seems they hope to prove that the experiences are caused by a dream-like state. But if that is the case why would everyone have such similar dreams?  It is my understanding that the experiences are often similar no matter what the person's background, beliefs or culture.  There is speculation that it could be attributed to the brain triggering the same sensations.

I have known four people who have had near death experiences and have had one "visit" by someone who was dying miles away from me.

I would like to hear your thoughts on these types of experiences.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: September 13, 2008, 11:25:18 am »

In this case it seems they hope to prove that the experiences are caused by a dream-like state.

I think that is the reporter's thinking. Focusing on just what the research aims are (mentioned near the end of the article), it does not look like the actual researchers are hoping to prove it is a dream state, but just hoping to find out what is going on.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: September 13, 2008, 11:42:12 am »

Maybe the experiences are similar because the phenomenon of near-death experiences is so ingrained in popular culture that they feed off one another?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Odjn
Master Member
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 09:12:20 am

Religion: Supreme Skeptic

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 13, 2008, 01:44:13 pm »

Maybe the experiences are similar because the phenomenon of near-death experiences is so ingrained in popular culture that they feed off one another?

Yes. This is what I was thinking, especially those of the Christian beliefs. They are basically told, often indirectly, what is supposed to happen and what to see and so forth. Of course conventional thought plays a huge role too, society in general, seems to accept a certian account and many people may accept this and will expect such things to occur. A sort of personal programming I guess.

I really liked the article as it took a practical and scientific approach to such occurences. The brain is a remarkable piece of biological engineering, it is aware of much more than one is consciously aware of. The brain remebers all sorts of details when the conscious mind would simply overlook it.

Subliminal messages work on the same principle like the advertisments shown in theatres years ago, for example. People could be shown advertisements in split-second frames without the viewer being aware of it yet the brain catches it and the only thing some people became aware of was a desire at a given moment to buy food from concessions when before they had no desire whatsover.

I think the same hold true in some aspects to those who claim to have seen themselves on operating tables or seen specific people. It seems the senses are particularily sensitized under anesthesia and picks up just about everything, the brain then puts them together to form a sort of vivid dream...perhaps a type of feedback to tell the other parts of the psyche what is going on.

As far as "near death" goes, I think it is little more than the results of societal programming from fantasy media to religion and if one accepts it at any level then it becomes part of the personal inner world and inner beliefs and the brain, also a wonderful wish fulfilling machine, will do whatever it can to produce what you want.

That is how I interpret it.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: September 13, 2008, 02:04:04 pm »

You know, this is probably the first post (in a while at least) of yours that I completely agree with Smiley

My Spiritual Blog
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 13, 2008, 04:32:34 pm »

I think that is the reporter's thinking. Focusing on just what the research aims are (mentioned near the end of the article), it does not look like the actual researchers are hoping to prove it is a dream state, but just hoping to find out what is going on.

Yes, you are right there.
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 13, 2008, 05:33:26 pm »

I have read so many differing theories I honestly don't know what to make of these experiences from a scientific point of view. Some people seem to think that it is a brain triggered response, others, as you suggested, seem to think it is a cultural hallucination or the brain sorting through things in a half conscious state. Sill others believe people have reached a higher state of consciousness during this time.

I can only go by what was related to me by those who had such experiences. One woman said an angel appeared to her and told her it was time to go, but (to make a long story short) she bargained for a few more years.  Another (suicide attempt) felt she was being being pulled away by demons and begged to return and make it up to her family. Another asked to live long enough to be able to see her grandchild born. 

The thing that  struck me with these people however, was that they seemed changed after their experiences and knew more than they realized. One now had a belief in reincarnation that she didn't have before. Another told me what her grandchild would be like when he grew up (she died a year after he was born) and she was right on the money about him.  And the other told me what things would change in a years time. At this point I am leaning toward the higher state of consciousness view just going by what I have observed.

The only one I really can't explain at all was the "visit" by someone who was dying. I had absolutley no knowledge that this individual was even ill, when I received a spirit visit. He told me he was going away to a place where he was loved. The next day I got a call from my aunt tellling me my uncle had died. There is no logical explanation except that I am nuts and it was a grand coincidence. A possibility which I won't discount.  Grin
wisdomsbane
Adept Member
Last Login:November 23, 2008, 08:14:43 pm

Religion: "generic" pagan/pathfinder

"Meh, humans, blech!"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 14, 2008, 02:28:52 am »

A new explanation for near death experiences:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26675999/

In this case it seems they hope to prove that the experiences are caused by a dream-like state. But if that is the case why would everyone have such similar dreams?  It is my understanding that the experiences are often similar no matter what the person's background, beliefs or culture.  There is speculation that it could be attributed to the brain triggering the same sensations.

I have known four people who have had near death experiences and have had one "visit" by someone who was dying miles away from me.

Well, I've kind of thought on this one.  I know a lot of people talk about a "tunnel of light" or something like that.  I've actually had that experience myself, although I wasn't dying.  I was entering a "blackout".  I think it is what happens when the brain starts to lose oxygen, some times you get blotchy spots, other times you start to get a sort of tunnel look to your vision.  At least this is what's happened to me.  It usually occurs if my blood sugar gets too low, and I'm about to pass out.  (Then again, it may have something to do with the sugar effect, too, as the blood carries the sugar... not sure.)

The voices/images of loved ones who have gone before, could just be the "dream state" sort of the subconscious' way of prepping you for the experience, so that you go "peacefully", rather than kicking and screaming.

I can't think of anything else I've heard of in connection with near death experiences...

What you think is possible.  Anything that is possible can become real.  Therefore, reality is a state of mind.
My Writings So Far
leigh137
Journeyman
Last Login:February 05, 2009, 03:07:55 pm

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 24, 2008, 04:35:50 pm »

I've often heard this as the reason why alien abduction stories are so similar. Because everyone knows what an alient abduction is, and what is supposed to happen.
Same deal with visits from angels.

"You must have faith... That the universe will unfold as it should."
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: September 24, 2008, 04:42:44 pm »

I've often heard this as the reason why alien abduction stories are so similar. Because everyone knows what an alient abduction is, and what is supposed to happen.
Same deal with visits from angels.

There is probably a little bit more to alien abductions than pop culture.  Sleep paralysis is another factor to take in.

Interestingly, the combination of paranormal experience ingrained in popular culture and sleep paralysis may also be a reason behind old accounts of witch/incubus/succubus/vampire/<insert any other demonic being here> attacks.

My Spiritual Blog
leigh137
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: September 24, 2008, 04:43:24 pm »

Well, when I was giving birth to my daughter I almost died. The only thing of note about the whole deal was that I kept smelling flowers. Enough that I asked the nurse if they scented the O2 I was on. She looked at me like I gone nuts.  Cheesy But no tunnel of light or anything. Just flowers.

leigh137
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: September 24, 2008, 04:45:55 pm »

There is probably a little bit more to alien abductions than pop culture.  Sleep paralysis is another factor to take in.

Interestingly, the combination of paranormal experience ingrained in popular culture and sleep paralysis may also be a reason behind old accounts of witch/incubus/succubus/vampire/<insert any other demonic being here> attacks.

Oh definately, I didn't mean to say that I was discounting sleep paralysis, just that pop culture images supliment the experience, making it into an alien abduction as opposed to a succubus or anything else. Not too many succubus attacks these days.

Violet
Journeyman
Last Login:December 07, 2009, 12:44:07 am
Australia Australia

Religion: ...Who Knows

If you wait, I'll give all my aches to you...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: September 26, 2008, 08:53:44 pm »

The voices/images of loved ones who have gone before, could just be the "dream state" sort of the subconscious' way of prepping you for the experience, so that you go "peacefully", rather than kicking and screaming.

This is an interesting idea but i would have thought that the desire to live, as a biological imperative, would be so strong that if the subconscious was at play here it would be making you fight. It is, after all, very hard to die. Thats why a person has to be under such EXTREME emotional distress before they can go through with a suicide attempt.

I dont know if that quite made sense, but yeah...

Let us go then, you and I
When the evening is spread out against the sky,
Like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot
Violet
Journeyman
Last Login:December 07, 2009, 12:44:07 am
Australia Australia

Religion: ...Who Knows

If you wait, I'll give all my aches to you...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: September 26, 2008, 09:11:14 pm »

I recently (about a year ago) had an experience with sleep paralysis, and it was the most terrified i have ever been. I was awake but i couldnt even lift my head, let alone my body, and it felt like there was a dead weight on my chest pressing me down. Then i started to hallucinate, my french doors burst open and i could see a woman in black floating down towards my open doors. The wind was gusting around her and she was coming closer slowly. For some reason i tried to yell out "No, im not ready for you to come." and closed my eyes for what felt like a second and suddenly it was daylight and i was fully awake and normal.

I think its something to do with, when you first wake up, the thinking/imagining part of the brain being active, while the part which allows you to control movement is still switched off.

Common hallucinations include a demon sitting on your chest, or someone/something standing at the foot of your bed watching you.

Someone else could probably explain what actually happens better...

Let us go then, you and I
When the evening is spread out against the sky,
Like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: September 27, 2008, 05:10:40 am »

I think its something to do with, when you first wake up, the thinking/imagining part of the brain being active, while the part which allows you to control movement is still switched off.

Common hallucinations include a demon sitting on your chest, or someone/something standing at the foot of your bed watching you.

Someone else could probably explain what actually happens better...

You're pretty close to it.  It's also been associated with alien abduction claims.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)