The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 15, 2021, 03:38:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 15, 2021, 03:38:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What are you doing on the Fall Equinox?  (Read 6535 times)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 14, 2008, 02:03:22 pm »

Just curious.

I'd like to go to a panpagan celebration, but I haven't found yet any in my region. (I'm working on getting better connected at the moment.) So as I'll most likely be celebrating solitary I'm thinking of spending some time outside if the weather is fine and having a short informal 'ritual' (if you can call it that) or meditation. Most likely I'll collect a lot of autumn decoration outside (leaves, maroons...). Also I'm thinking of cooking a meal with seasonal stuff to celebrate the harvest.

One issue is that as I've just started a new job in a new city somehow the theme of autumn & harvest doesn't really fit into my personal life phase at the moment. I feel like Imbolc would fit much better right now.  Cheesy

What will you focus on and what are you planning to do? Are there any aspects in your personal life fitting to the actual seasonal celebration?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: September 14, 2008, 02:14:18 pm »

Just curious.

*snip*

What will you focus on and what are you planning to do? Are there any aspects in your personal life fitting to the actual seasonal celebration?

The equinox doesn't figure into my path.  On that day I will be in school and that evening I will probably either be on here, doing homework, watching TV/a movie or some combination of the above.

Which probably is the best.  Where I live, it still feels like summer until October Tongue

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Laurus
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 04, 2009, 04:51:22 am
Finland Finland

Religion: wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 14, 2008, 02:21:46 pm »

I´ll very propably perform a ritual and have feast with my working group. In other day I´m also going to make a nice vmeal using fresh harvest products and share it with my fiance and all the friends that wish to partisipate. I have to maybe add some meat to the my veggie-based meal ´cause it usually is aquired by my significant other and male friends. I will also do some offerings from the left overs of that meal and maybe also something else that I´ve choose to be fit to offer. when offering I am also gonna have my private moment thinking on a subject and connecting to Gods.

I also have some new ritual ojects that I´d like to concecrate if I am gonna have ritual on my own. But I think I´m gonna save that to the Full Moon and keep Mabon only for feast and honoring the Wheel of the Year.

I´ve been walking in the woods lately quite much so i think I am quite good in tune with nature right now so it gives lot of extra feeling to this. Though it is Samhain that I am really waiting for and I´m glad I still have a lot of time to think what else would I like to do after the group ritual.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 02:26:32 pm by Laurus » Logged
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 14, 2008, 04:35:31 pm »

Fall equinox is in some ways my favorite Sabbat, because the 22nd is my birthday - so on a personal level, it's a really good time to look at what I've done in the last year, and what I hope to do in the next one. (It's also around the time when I really settle into deciding what I'm doing this year in my professional life, since I work in a school, which is also tidy.)

This year, I'm turning 33, which as some of you may know, is the age at which Tolkien's Hobbits become adults, and I couldn't resist the opportunity to make use of this. (Depending on how you translate the calendars, I share a birthday with Bilbo and Frodo, see.)

So, I'm arriving at my covenmate's at around 10:30 in the morning. We will have elevenses (apples, British cheeses, and good homemade bread.) We'll do some divination work for the coming months of coven work (since we're about 6 months into the coven, and considering our first new students, this seems like a good thing.)

At around 12:30, a few close friends are arriving. We'll have lunch (pasties, more of the cheese and bread, etc), some ritual work around harvest and community - what things we're gathering in this harvest, what things we wish to lay aside and cull from our lives going forward. We'll design symbols to go with this. Around 3:30, we'll have tea (tea, scones, clotted cream)

Around 4:30, more people are invited (not sure yet how may people are going to make it yet) and there will be music and food and conversation and many other good things until we give up for the night. (I've got to work on Monday, so it'll be around 8.) We'll have steak and kidney pie, root vegetable stew, broiled mushrooms - and some totally decadent chocolate brownies, because there really needs to be chocolate.

There will also be the keeping of the Hobbit tradition, wherein the birthday person distributes small tokens to the guests. I've got a great plot for these, and I'm *so* looking forward to handing them over. (Need to do the last piece of it over this coming week: I'm spending all day Saturday cooking, plus either Thursday or Friday night after work. It'll be lovely.) I understand various of my friends are also plotting for me.

I'm looking forward to it a lot - it's a fair bit of planning (and cooking) but we've mostly chosen stuff that'll freeze just fine if we have leftovers, and that is pretty easy to put together.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 14, 2008, 09:40:56 pm »

Well, I've been harvesting some of the work I've been doing all year - moving to Chicago, getting my first (temp) job in my field here, doing more Thelemic ritual work.

My Equinox ritual has actually stayed fairly similar since I started celebrating it.  My beloved and I (and hopefully one of our friends) will be honoring Demeter, Persephone, and Hekate and doing magic around what we want to harvest, probably involving cider and/or tasty things.

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 14, 2008, 09:43:16 pm »

This year, I'm turning 33, which as some of you may know, is the age at which Tolkien's Hobbits become adults, and I couldn't resist the opportunity to make use of this.

That's a seriously cool idea, and it sounds like it'll be a lot of fun.  Smiley

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #6: September 14, 2008, 09:53:07 pm »

One issue is that as I've just started a new job in a new city somehow the theme of autumn & harvest doesn't really fit into my personal life phase at the moment. I feel like Imbolc would fit much better right now.  Cheesy

Perhaps you could look at your new job and city etc. as the natural harvest of your academic season?  The next few months are for appreciating and securing what you've been learning (like canning and preserving, -g), leaving Imbolc for the actual beginnings of the 'new you', the confident professional.

As for what I'm doing, I'm afraid I'm abandoning any religious associations for the moment.  My mother died on the summer solstice, and I am taking this first equinox to come to my own balance about that.  I will probably be writing a lot of stuff, and maybe putting some on my LJ to close out some old posts.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 14, 2008, 10:48:34 pm »

Just curious.

I'd like to go to a panpagan celebration, but I haven't found yet any in my region.

you might check the Reclaiming website, b/c I know they are pretty active in Germany, although whether they are in your neck of the woods I don't know. They always have really fun public celebrations, I will probably go to the one here next saturday.

I will probably also be hosting some kind of Mabon do for my Sha'Can community, but haven't firmed it up yet. The kids and I will do some fall stuff-go for a woods walk and gather stuff to make a wreath, and so on. Usually the weather here is gorgeous for the equinox, so we will probably bbq and have fun in the backyard, regardless of whether we do a ritual or not.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
soulfire
Journeyman
Last Login:December 06, 2010, 02:51:14 pm

Religion: Practical Witch, Healer

Dance Anyway!

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 15, 2008, 11:22:22 am »

Usually the weather here is gorgeous for the equinox, so we will probably bbq and have fun in the backyard, regardless of whether we do a ritual or not.

Sounds like us.  I'm inviting a few friends over to hang out w/ a fire in the firepit for roasting hotdogs and having s'mores and the telescope out (hope it will be clear).  It's going to be real casual.  Ritual I like to keep personal, besides few of my friends would understand, even if they understand marking the seasons...

**Please PRAY FOR ME.  I'm in the fight of my life right now. Thank you ~SF/K
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 15, 2008, 04:06:46 pm »

Celebrating my one-year wedding anniversary (Sept 21st).  I'm still undecided about attending local rituals and/or doing my own.  We'll see.
leigh137
Journeyman
Last Login:February 05, 2009, 03:07:55 pm

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: September 15, 2008, 04:17:18 pm »

Usually the weather here is gorgeous for the equinox, so we will probably bbq and have fun in the backyard, regardless of whether we do a ritual or not.

That's usually what I do with my daughter on the equinox. As soon as she gets old enough I'll probably tell her why we spend the day outside, but she's 4 so she doesn't care right now.

"You must have faith... That the universe will unfold as it should."
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: September 15, 2008, 08:16:08 pm »

I love the Autumn Equinox, as to me it marks the start of my favorite season. I begin to start making my stews again, and I make lots of seasonal decorations for the house. I love the oranges and reds of this time of year. And the spiced candles, mmm  Smiley  Therefore, this Equinox I am going to be looking forward to what's to come and be very thankful for it. I'll also think back over the long summer that is now waning. It's been a very long summer, which was very up and down emotionally. I need time to catalogue my thoughts, take a deep breath, and start a new season of my life. The Autumn Equinox is the perfect time for me to do that.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: September 15, 2008, 10:11:41 pm »

I have not decided yet.   Plus, I never really feel there is that much to celebrate, I am NOT a lover of cold weather.  I do however love Halloween. I make a huge deal out of that.
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #13: September 16, 2008, 01:37:29 am »

I love the Autumn Equinox, as to me it marks the start of my favorite season. I begin to start making my stews again, and I make lots of seasonal decorations for the house. I love the oranges and reds of this time of year. And the spiced candles, mmm  Smiley 

I love autumn too, but it doesn't really start here til well after the equinox, more like late october. But lots of fall/halloween dec is around. Today I found really yummy-smelling candles at Walgreen's (good old Walgreen's....pagan celebration cheap dec. central). They were in very pretty crackle glass holders, and smelled more like sandalwood than pumpkin (which is what they were suppposed to be)

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Hengekeeper
Last Login:September 20, 2008, 09:58:06 pm

Religion: Personally unique

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: September 18, 2008, 05:41:35 pm »

I have a henge  in my backyard where I will spend the night out in the weather (an ice storm will run me inside). I will maintain a small fire for a day or two before hand to get the energies flowing and then stoke it the sunset before the solstice.  Nothing makes the experience more enlightening/memorable than facing the elements one on one.  It’s not hard to be aware of your place in the natural world when you are feeling the power of the forces that be.  One year it was 6 degrees with a full moon, no wind and clear sky with two feet of fresh snow.  I’ll never forget that one, it was truly magical and inspiring. One year it was a struggle and took weeks to recover.

The menu for the celebration usually included items from the garden, along with roasting chestnuts, almond stuffed dates, homemade bread and some sort of roast beast (more like a duck or pork shoulder, maybe a salmon). 

Winter solstice is a time for me to reflect on the year just past and a time to look towards to new beginnings. I use the occasion to be brutally honest with myself. I laugh, I cry and after I have faced up to my actions I purge  them by casting all the things I don’t like about myself into the fire. I do this so I can replace them with more enlightened decisions in the coming year.

I’m not a cold weather person so I use the solstice to mark the start of renewed spiritual growth while the world outside rests.  Winter Solstice has become my favorite day of the year. Winter is becoming my favorite time.

No matter what anyone does or doesn't do, I hope it serves them well.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)